Options

Any sufficiently advanced [tech] thread is indistinguishable from a magic thread

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    There are buses in SF right now advertising "The Regulated Cryptocurrency Exchange" which is hilarious to me.

How can you make money off crypto if you can't run scams?

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    I don't understand what the selling point is supposed to be

Like what are they saying is good about this monitor stand

JlRcvyil.png
    UGt5Ctxl.png
    mxr9mCul.png
    5YqGJmol.png
    https://www.apple.com/pro-display-xdr/

the stand rotates and... is a stand

you can put the monitor on the stand
    and take it off

you can buy a mount to use some other stand, if you want

oh my god the marketing language here is a parody

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Honestly that's pretty light and clear for marketing writing, Apple know what they're doing. It gets way less intelligible than that

• Options
    I take it back, they started a sentence with and so it's garbage

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    it just reminds me of this (spoiled for size)
    i-jbBQTJT-2100x20000.jpg

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    honestly the person who was able to get five paragraphs out of that, even if they did have to enlarge the text to pad things out, is a bullshit hero to me

like you have to write me at least 350 words of copy about why someone should buy this $1000 product that does the same things a $60 product does, and which most of our competition gives away for free

I think i'd get about 12 words in before running off the rails:

"The Pro Stand is designed for the utmost perfectionist who demands precision, much like the フュージョン technique that Goku and Vegeta practiced while fighting against the Legendary Super Saiyan Broly. Being off by even fractions of an angle could spell disaster in both the high-intensity fields of martial arts, but also in the equally demanding field of graphic design. If you can master the fine tilt of your monitor angle, you will fuse into an even more powerful being capable of rendering even 6K content with ease, and the Pro Stand gives you the power up needed to master this legendary technique."

• Options
    I really want to praise that marketing copy because it's very good and I couldn't do better, but fuck, two sentences starting with and what is with these people

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I'm thinking of getting an Oculus Quest, mainly for wireless Beat Saber. I've been playing Beat Saber every day using one of the WMR library sets and would love to have one at home I didn't need to lug back and forth from work.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    is starting a sentence with "with" a marketing copy taboo or cliche or something?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Starting a sentence with “and” sucks and with a medium as space restrained as advertising there’s no excuse. I am ride or die on this one.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    yeah everyone knows the best conjunction to start a sentence with is "but"

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    yeah everyone knows the best conjunction to start a sentence with is "but"

Butt is the only way I start my sentences.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I'm thinking of getting an Oculus Quest, mainly for wireless Beat Saber. I've been playing Beat Saber every day using one of the WMR library sets and would love to have one at home I didn't need to lug back and forth from work.

My Quest has been an amazing purchase so far, can only recommend.

Also SideQuest, the sideloading program, now supports importing songs directly from BeastSaber.

David_T on
    13iepvv6o8ip.png
  • Options
    "Elevate your work, and rotate it, too" is a pretty clear sentence. "Elevate your work. And rotate it, too." leaves the impression that you forgot to mention that the thing rotates and are issuing a hurried correction.

The most correct and efficient version is probably "Elevate and rotate your work" but I'll admit that there's something less engaging about it. "Elevate your work. Rotate it, too" also works if you want to do it over two sentences. There's almost never a reason to start a sentence with "and". I'm not a prescriptivist by any means, I think there are real, practical reasons not to start a sentence with a conjunction.

Also the only problem an Oxford Comma ever solves is lazy sentence structure so just rewrite your sentence to that the intention is clear.

• Options
    there aren't many writing rules I insist are always true but one is that people who insist on either always or never using an oxford comma are extremely tedious

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    For someone who spends so much of my time writing posts on the internet I feel like I am pretty bad at writing in a purely mechanical sense.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I used to feel ways about how the language ought to be utilized, but over time I have settled into what could best be described as "language anarchist"

If I can understand what you're going for, we're cool. Maybe even if I don't.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I write however feels more natural to me, based on the flow of the words. Though on my phone I'll sometimes omit punctuation because I'm a rebel without a pause

• Options
    there aren't many writing rules I insist are always true but one is that people who insist on either always or never using an oxford comma are extremely tedious

Yeah, I'm not really a die-hard on it but became kind of radicalised by being copy-edited by someone who always put an oxford comma in every list, without exception. I don't think there's anything especially bad about the Oxford Comma, but if your sentence really needs one you might be better off just rewriting it.
    Madican wrote: »
    I write however feels more natural to me, based on the flow of the words. Though on my phone I'll sometimes omit punctuation because I'm a rebel without a pause

This is how I write the majority of the time. When writing professionally, it's my job to care about the minutiae.

• Options
    Oh wait I have on other really specific bugbear: people who remove all the contractions from their writing to make it sound more formal. Not because it's especially egregious, but because it's really, really tedious to correct as an editor.

• Options
    I blame high school teachers for that one, a lot of them insist that "serious" writing doesn't use contractions

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I blame high school teachers for that one, a lot of them insist that "serious" writing doesn't use contractions

Whom's't'd've the fuck asked them, though?

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I try to be more of a descriptivist than a prescriptivist, but I cannot let it stand when someone uses "phase" instead of "faze"

• Options
    edited June 2019
    lots of minor stuff bothers me but I've learned to let it go

one thing I cannot do, though, is stop myself from saying "then why don't you" whenever someone says "I could care less"

Shorty on
  • Options
    I try to be more of a descriptivist than a prescriptivist, but I cannot let it stand when someone uses "phase" instead of "faze"

most people get over that though

it's just a pfasze

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »

My Quest has been an amazing purchase so far, can only recommend.

Also SideQuest, the sideloading program, now supports importing songs directly from BeastSaber.

The SideQuest is specifically the thing making me want to get one now. I can't play without my Mr Blueside or weirdly, Shake it Off. Both of those are really well done in Beat Saber and super fun.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I didn't use contractions when writing research papers because spaces and characters help you get that sick word/character count that some teachers live and die by.

Then there's the trick where you hide a whole bunch of 1 pt white text in the bottom of the last page

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I didn't use contractions when writing research papers because spaces and characters help you get that sick word/character count that some teachers live and die by.

Then there's the trick where you hide a whole bunch of 1 pt white text in the bottom of the last page

I suddenly had a fantasy of submitting a "2000 word" essay consisting of only the sentence "This essay is 2000 words." and then just 1 pt white text "words words words words words" for the rest

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

most people get over that though

it's just a pfasze

Rolo

you

are

a

criminal

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Isn't there an annual contest or something to basically submit the longest paragraph or essay or something, with the most words, that doesn't actually say anything?

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Isn't there an annual contest or something to basically submit the longest paragraph or essay or something, with the most words, that doesn't actually say anything?

Yeah, it's called a congressional session

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    RIP Congress.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    F

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    "Your work? Elevate it. Rotate it. Flip it and reverse it."

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    S
    Solar wrote: »

Oh noooooo.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

"Technologic."

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Microsoft deleted its face database, which seems like a cool move?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    yeah, unfortunately it's been publically disseminated on the internet so copies of it will continue to exist forever.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Empty gesture, yeah. Even if they don't have copies themselves (they do) everyone else does.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.