As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Any sufficiently advanced [tech] thread is indistinguishable from a magic thread

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I'm thinking about picking up a Corsair Carbide Spec-5 case. A nice cheap budget case, got some good looks and throw in some tasteful RGB and it could be a nice replacement case. My old one is a gamers case from the mid 2000s, the fans are dying, the USB ports are burnt out and I had to cut the riveted in HDD case to make my video card fit.

Maybe the iCUE 220T RGB instead, comes with the RGB fans installed and it's a fair bit cheaper when taking that into account.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    the corsair carbide series cases are really good, my type of case though tbh, I have a carbide 100r because I don't like windows in my computer cases.
    Also I think I might build a new pc with my stimulus check...

• Options
    Quick question.

If I bought a new pc and copied my current platter system drive over to the ssd I plan to get could I use my current windows install with a call to Microsoft or would I have to buy a totally new copy?

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    Quick question.

If I bought a new pc and copied my current platter system drive over to the ssd I plan to get could I use my current windows install with a call to Microsoft or would I have to buy a totally new copy?

you should be able to call.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I've been superstitious about not cloning windows installs over to a new drive and doing a fresh install of windows on a new motherboard for decades, I don't know if it's actually necessary anymore but dealing with stupid fucking haunted OS boogeyman problems that just go away with a clean install has scarred me for life.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Speaking of computer cases

Here is my NZXT H210i (and the rest of the machine I built)

wk0w64zr9aur.png

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options

wk0w64zr9aur.png

ITX build? Either way, very well done. I love it.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    why cant tech companies use their invasive and disgusting ad sense and location data to actually provide my phone with correct weather data in C and not fucking F

Like you can send me app notifications for tweets or reddit or w/e based off of recent google searchs but you can't remember that I'm 4 hours north of heathen imperial towns

It's just an infuriating and fixes it self with a few swipes but clearly I'm not over weighing the free data collection they get if they can't be assed to show me correct weather for the area and that's fucking depressing

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

wk0w64zr9aur.png

ITX build? Either way, very well done. I love it.

Ya, Gigabyte X570 Mini-ITX board. ITX builds are 100% a luxury but it was fun to do.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I know it's boring as hell, but I like the plain monolith style cases. My current is a Corsair Obsidian 550D and the eventual next one will likely be a Corsair Carbide 270R.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Let this robut draw a picture of you.

680lswghx14f.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Let this robut draw a picture of you.

680lswghx14f.png
    prn5wwny62qv.png
    Like a drunk and depressed Bradley Whitford.

I'm impressed, honestly.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    It took a few tries, but I feel like the eventual result was worth it.

6zho3wuatay1.png

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    ehhhh it's the same as every other algorithmically generated "painting" - they train it on one painting's general patterns and then try and match facial features to that

but the paintings they pick are almost always over a hundred years old and are exclusively of white skinned subjects

o36xo0c30nct.jpg

g14gfp8j9xvk.png

shhbdck993pn.png

so the quality of results start to vary wildly if you deviate even a little bit from the sample sets

I'd be much more impressed if they trained the bots on a master painter's body of work, looking for shared painting techniques between individual sample paintings, and then tried to create a new painting based on those learnings, but that's several orders of magnitude more complex

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    It's been SO LONG since we all saw those pictures of you riding that bull statue, and yet you're still a handsome motherfucker, Brolo!

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I tried to use a picture of me in my War of 1812 uniform but it just turned the shako into part of my head.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I tried to use a picture of me in my War of 1812 uniform but it just turned the shako into part of my head.

Do you have the pre-2.08 shako or the bad one?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    you're a nerd and I'm a nerd for getting that joke

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I just see the color teal when someone says shako

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    9vdq8xfowget.png

Idk I can dig it

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    eyei3cc4fcva.png

I think this probably looks better than my actual picture

m86in58u74eo.png

however this i can't stop laughing lmaooooooooo

i found a picture of my cat that it actually accepts you can't tell me what i can't do beyitch
    qtas5p7a7pdn.png

fucking ROBBED

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Well, get fucked.[/quote]

Well, that sucks. What a crock of shit this line is: "Our goal has always been to provide the world with the best weather information possible, to help as many people as we can stay dry and safe, and to do so in a way that respects your privacy.".

Just say your goal was to make money, jackasses.[/quote]

Well shit...I love Dark Sky

Bucketman on
  • Options
    Oh hey, anyone have a recommendation on a Mesh network? Our nice expensive router is cool but not cutting it and I think maybe we need to go mesh for better coverage

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Oh hey, anyone have a recommendation on a Mesh network? Our nice expensive router is cool but not cutting it and I think maybe we need to go mesh for better coverage

I'm running an Archer A7 router with their RE300 out in the living room on a mesh, works great.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Has anyone else had issues with Pocket Casts not loading show notes for any shows? I'm having the issue on my primary phone which is still running version 6 (pre-major update/buyout) and the newest version on an old phone (I let it fully update to see if my old version was the issue and it isn't).

I've now installed Castbox because not having show notes is a real deal breaker. It's not as streamlined as old Pocket Casts, but it's pretty good overall and still has a web player with sync between devices.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2020
    My current bedroom has limited natural light, which I think is doing a number on my already fucked up sleep schedule. In spite of my objection to wired homes, I was thinking of buying an LED IoT lamp I could sync up with sunrise and hopefully let me wake up a little more naturally. Anyway riddle me this: I can get a natural spectrum lamp pre-synced to solar position for $300. Or I can get a programmable lamp (which would logically give me more variety and control) for ... $30.

(Or I can get all the components and make one myself for about $25 but that actually does sound like a pain)

Edit: AHA ok turns out if I look I’m “alarm clocks” rather than “lamps” I can get what I want at a more reasonable price.

tynic on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    Has anyone else had issues with Pocket Casts not loading show notes for any shows? I'm having the issue on my primary phone which is still running version 6 (pre-major update/buyout) and the newest version on an old phone (I let it fully update to see if my old version was the issue and it isn't).

I've now installed Castbox because not having show notes is a real deal breaker. It's not as streamlined as old Pocket Casts, but it's pretty good overall and still has a web player with sync between devices.

honestly I have not noticed that issue, I just checked all the podcasts in my queue and they seem to have all their show notes. that's a weird problem!

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

I've heard good things about Eero's mesh product, but I don't have much personal experience with meshes

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    My current bedroom has limited natural light, which I think is doing a number on my already fucked up sleep schedule. In spite of my objection to wired homes, I was thinking of buying an LED IoT lamp I could sync up with sunrise and hopefully let me wake up a little more naturally. Anyway riddle me this: I can get a natural spectrum lamp pre-synced to solar position for $300. Or I can get a programmable lamp (which would logically give me more variety and control) for ... $30.

(Or I can get all the components and make one myself for about $25 but that actually does sound like a pain)

I have a solar lamp, but I wouldn't recommend it. I think it actually makes me feel worse about things.

It's by a French manufacturer. I think it's called a Désoléil Lamp?

I'm sorry that this isn't more helpful.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2020
    I think you’ve helped quite enough already, laddy.

tynic on
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular

I have a Ubiquiti setup cos I'm a giant nerd so I'm basically running their enterprise kit, but they have some home focussed stuff which should be pretty great.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

Title of Chico's sex tape!

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Title of Chico's sex tape!

Oh so you're subscribed to his onlyfans?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

I really like our Orbi. I think it's the only one that doesn't require cloud access to work.

• Options
    schuss wrote: »

I really like our Orbi. I think it's the only one that doesn't require cloud access to work.

Thats what I wound up grabbing because Costco had them in stock. Working great so far, excellent signal and I haven't dropped once. We'll see how it handles both the wife and I on our VPNs for work today though

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I use orbi, it's worked well enough but as an IT person I hate how walled-garden it is

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    yeah the setup and everything being done in a nearly barebones app isn't great. But it works and its fast

• Options
    I got a better soundbar second hand from a friend because he got a new setup.

It's cool. I've not had good surround sound for a long time.

This discussion has been closed.