As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Any sufficiently advanced [tech] thread is indistinguishable from a magic thread

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Yeah, most of the builds posted in this thread are only a GPU upgrade away from big FPS gains in games.

And everyone should upgrade to an SSD. It doesn't even have to be expensive or fancy, any new SSD from a reputable manufacturer will feel lightning quick compared to an HDD in almost any scenario.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    CPUScore : 8.7
    D3DScore : 9.9
    DiskScore : 8.95
    GraphicsScore : 8.1
    MemoryScore : 8.7
    WinSATAssessmentState : 1
    WinSPRLevel : 8.1

I don't know wtf these numbers mean really. I feel like the graphics score should be higher? I have a 2080 ti.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    CPUScore : 8.7
    DiskScore : 8.95
    GraphicsScore : 8.1
    MemoryScore : 8.7

I don't know wtf these numbers mean really. I feel like the graphics score should be higher? I have a 2080 ti.

Im assuming win10? If not the system might not be able to evaluate it correctly, or is picking up an onboard gpu.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    That's gotta be the onboard GPU, because I have a 1080 Ti, and there is nowhere that a 2080 Ti doesn't beat a 1080 Ti roundly.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    y'all calling yourselves out with that 5.9 disk score. SSDs are the light.

The numbers really don't mean much in the grand scheme of things. They are designed to represent "how well will this computer run windows on a scale of nope (0) to perfect (10)."
    It's also good way to tell if it's time to upgrade one part in comparison to everything else. Like in this case, everyone needs a friggin' SSD apparently.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    CPUScore : 9.2
    DiskScore : 8.1
    GraphicsScore : 8.3
    MemoryScore : 9.2
    TimeTaken : MostRecentAssessment

I have a GTX 950 that I got cheap, so I'd say I'm pretty happy with that overall. I also have a cheap SSD, so again I'm pretty alright with that.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    So since this has turned into the computer hardware thread, who is the best manufacturer for a GTX 2070 super? The price points between manufacturers only varies by like $25, but the ratings are all over the ding dang place.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    So since this has turned into the computer hardware thread, who is the best manufacturer for a GTX 2070 super? The price points between manufacturers only varies by like $25, but the ratings are all over the ding dang place.

I settled on a Gigabyte Aorus one because it matched the motherboard I was buying. The ridiculous lights sync up with the ridiculous lights on the motherboard and everything. Of course I don't have a window in the side of my case so you can't see it but it's there

More importantly it can push a lot of the heat generated away with the fan array, and it's got a whole lot of video outputs. I've still got the rubber stoppers in everything but a single HDMI port because it's just plugged into my 55" TV

I've not found a game that runs at anything less than 60fps at 4k on ultra graphics settings but the rest of my system (Ryzen 7 3700X, 64GB RAM) contributes to that too

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    That's gotta be the onboard GPU, because I have a 1080 Ti, and there is nowhere that a 2080 Ti doesn't beat a 1080 Ti roundly.

I've got a 2080ti, for comparison I had a 9.7 and even that felt low.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'm not entirely sure which thread is the best for this, but, this thread felt good enough.

If any of you play Vavle/Source games right now you might want to abstain for a week or so because the source code got leaked to a bunch of their games and I guess there's an exploit that can run remote code on your PCs via what they discovered in the source. So connecting to a server with a hacker could leave you vulnerable to viruses and all that.

I'm sure valve will patch these soon.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    CPUScore: 8.8
    DiskScore: 8.05
    GraphicsScore: 8.9
    MemoryScore: 8.8
    TimeTaken: MostRecentAssessment
    WinSPRLevel: 8.05

Hrmmm, guess my 2012 build (with a 1070 replacing a 9800GTX+ in 2017) isn't bad.

Intel i5-3570
    16GB RAM (DDR3, 1600)
    GTX 1070 (8GB)
    A combination of SSD for Windows and spinning rust for data and games
    A 20inch monitor that can only do 1680x1050

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Hrmmm, guess my 2012 build (with a 1070 replacing a 9800GTX+ in 2017) isn't bad.

Intel i5-3570
    16GB RAM (DDR3, 1600)
    GTX 1070 (8GB)

Your monitor might not be the greatest, but on the upside, your 1070 should be able to push pretty decent framerates at ultra detail settings?

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular

Intel i5-3570
    16GB RAM (DDR3, 1600)
    GTX 1070 (8GB)

Your monitor might not be the greatest, but on the upside, your 1070 should be able to push pretty decent framerates at ultra detail settings?

Monitor maxes at 60Hz, but yeah I can hit that at max settings on the things I play.
    This is what I've been looking at to replace it. Unfortunately it's sold out at my local Microcenter and Amazon only has it available 3rd party at a tremendous markup. $180 but out of stock at MC, 300+ on Amazon right now.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I'll get an SSD when I upgrade to an entirely new rig. Not before

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Why though? Your new PC will still have SATA ports.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

Because I'm not going through the hassle of transferring everything over twice in a short timespan

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    V1m wrote: »

Because I'm not going through the hassle of transferring everything over twice in a short timespan

I used acronis to clone my old drive to my new drive, then changed boot priority in bios. Took like 45 minutes, super easy.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    The quality of life improvements from using SSDs are such a huge thing you really should do it ASAP. Almost every single kind of load time is vastly improved. Starting up windows, loading screens in games, etc etc etc.

I often forget how good it is until I have to use a work computer, or play a game on console instead of my PC. Hours and hours of your life is lost to these loading times. Reclaim control of your life! Self actualize with a SSD!

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    DiskScore : 8.1
    GraphicsScore : 8.4

Guess that's low? I'm okay with it, though.

Oh, and my equipment:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
    Radeon RX 590
    16 GB RAM

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    It should be illegal to sell a computer without an SSD

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Tube wrote: »

HP has some truly awful "enterprise" laptops where the hard drive is literally glued into the chassis, and there's no way to remove it without essentially destroying the shell/sata controller

and they all come with custom 3800 RPM hard drives so you can never upgrade them ever

i essentially had to lie to my employers at the time that I was using only their worthless "secure" work laptop, while getting 3x the work done on my desktop

Brolo on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    3800 RPM hard drive

what the fuck

there should be a law

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular

If price isn't an object, I go with EVGA. They have a close relationship with nVidia so I trust their build quality. Otherwise, I think Gigabyte is my second choice, personally.
    For ratings I typically go to Newegg, then I buy elsewhere because their prices + shipping tend to be less favorable than other retailers, especially to reach me overseas.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    I had my eye specifically on MSI, but I know nothing about them. Is there a list of manufacturers I should absolutely stay away from?

Edit: Or maybe it's not MSI? This seems to be the best priced one.

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    That one from Best Buy, according to Google, appears to be some kind of composite according to a post on another forum from 2013 - not sure what has changed since.
    But...prices that low always make me suspicious. I wouldn't trust it myself.
    Brands to stay away from are largely based on preference, with a few exceptions: For example, Asus has notoriously bad support, so I try to avoid them. I had an MSI motherboard not long ago that seemed fine, but I didn't like their software or UEFI. Stuff like that.

• Options
    Oh, shit, good to know.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I had my eye specifically on MSI, but I know nothing about them. Is there a list of manufacturers I should absolutely stay away from?

Edit: Or maybe it's not MSI? This seems to be the best priced one.

That card is a reference card, it's the same one you can buy from the Nvidia website (or could, if they were in stock there). They used to be manufactured by PNY, not sure if that's still true. I like the reference design for the RTX cards in terms of aesthetics, but other manufacturers can offer better coolers, higher clocks out of the box, etc. I wouldn't strictly avoid the reference design, there's nothing wrong with the card, but you could find better value out there.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Ranlin wrote: »

CPUScore : 8.4
    DiskScore : 5.9
    GraphicsScore : 8.4
    MemoryScore : 8.4
    WinSPRLevel : 5.9

Oh I guess to break that down a little I have:

Athlon 2 x3 460 3.4gz three core CPU
    a very old platter drive and a somewhat larger newer one
    8GB Kingston HyperX 1600mhz DDR3 ram that I think has some flaws
    and a Radeon r9 290

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    German federal agency of IT security advises to uninstall apple's mail app because of a serious security gap.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/04/23/apple-hack-mail-iphone/

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »

HP has some truly awful "enterprise" laptops where the hard drive is literally glued into the chassis, and there's no way to remove it without essentially destroying the shell/sata controller

and they all come with custom 3800 RPM hard drives so you can never upgrade them ever

i essentially had to lie to my employers at the time that I was using only their worthless "secure" work laptop, while getting 3x the work done on my desktop

Maybe I've been too hasty in my blanket rejection of judicial torture

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Could be a good time for laptops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56oaQqLr30w

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    godmode wrote: »
    That one from Best Buy, according to Google, appears to be some kind of composite according to a post on another forum from 2013 - not sure what has changed since.
    But...prices that low always make me suspicious. I wouldn't trust it myself.
    Brands to stay away from are largely based on preference, with a few exceptions: For example, Asus has notoriously bad support, so I try to avoid them. I had an MSI motherboard not long ago that seemed fine, but I didn't like their software or UEFI. Stuff like that.

Christ, yeah. My last ASUS laptop literally had broken speakers and/or fucked up sound drivers. It was so bad my clipboard kept getting huge error text dumps flooded into it, and generating hundreds of MBs to GBs of crash text files. That was if I kept the bad drivers in there. Removing the sound drivers then had the opposite effect of any time Windows played a sound, the audio cut out for five seconds, then resumed. But at least I could copy/paste things.

ASUS was basically like "uh, just return it and ask for a replacement, but we can't promise it won't happen on another one of the same model". :rotate:

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    DiskScore : 8.6
    GraphicsScore : 9.4
    WinSPRLevel : 8.6

Not bad, not bad at all

• Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    This thread convinced me to buy a GeForce GTX 1660 super. GTX 770 treated me well for 7 years but it was time to put it to bed. Hopefully itll quiet down my pc.

Additionally, bought some new fans that are quieter and reading the specs for my case I have realized I installed my psu upside down.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    I am extremely happy with my 5700XT

Mildly bummed to miss out on RTX but I got fairly comparable performance for like $200 cheaper so

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I am extremely happy with my 5700XT

Mildly bummed to miss out on RTX but I got fairly comparable performance for like $200 cheaper so

I agree, I love my 5700, and with the 2080 being the only really powerful RTX card, your saving even more. The 2nd Gen cards will be where it's at. They'll be much more powerful.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    Yeah, and by the time we're on that, I figure RTX stuff will be more common. Right now it's a big ask for something that not a whole ton of games support.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    CPUScore : 8.9
    DiskScore : 8.05
    MemoryScore : 8.9
    WinSPRLevel : 8.05

Huh. I would have thought my GTX1060 would have been more like a 8.4, but I guess not bad all things considered. The disk score is probably skewed because I have 1 SSD and 2 platter drives. The SSD has windows and all my games on it, one platter drive is for backup and the other is for music, documents, videos, etc...

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Headphone jack on my phone broke. I'm so angry.

When they even bother putting a headphone jack on phones anymore it seems like they use the cheapest possible parts. I never once had a headphone jack break on me on anything I owned till Apple decided they wanted to sell everyone their stupid earpod nonsense and everyone followed the leader.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    CPUScore : 8.9
    DiskScore : 8.05
    MemoryScore : 8.9
    WinSPRLevel : 8.05

Huh. I would have thought my GTX1060 would have been more like a 8.4, but I guess not bad all things considered. The disk score is probably skewed because I have 1 SSD and 2 platter drives. The SSD has windows and all my games on it, one platter drive is for backup and the other is for music, documents, videos, etc...

Yeah I think that’s why mine’s so low too - I have a M2 and a SSD but also an ollllld hard drive. I’m currently saving my money to buy a 2TB SSD to just have no mechanical drives at all.

This discussion has been closed.