Options

Tides of [chat]

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    HerrCron wrote: »
    You could make a case for Radiohead having four great albums, but no two people would agree on which four they are.
    (they have at least six)

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Eddy wrote: »
    Kanye great albums: MBDTF, College Dropout, Graduation, Watch the Throne, Yeezus (YES I SAID IT, IT'S A GREAT ALBUM)

Unfortunately he's still Kanye and there's not enough great albums in the world to dig himself out of that hole.

If you think the list of older white men on the previous page are all saints well then

I'm not sure what they have to do with Kanye being a shithead but I doubt it?

Show me by what logic someone's personality/lifestyle/views disqualifies their art from being great, but if it does then uh you were just discussing Trent Reznor?

This is such a tired argument so I'll just generally go over the points and c-points:

p: death of the author
    cp: artists make money and promote their shitty views
    p: that doesn't somehow make the art bad, just immoral to pay for
    cp: all culture is interplay btwn artist and audience and the act of consumption inherently propagates a politics that is tinged with shittiness because all art is political
    p: multipolarity of interpretation and narrow-lens litcrit means that we can consume art deliberately from a removed and critical lens a la poststructuralism, etc etc

Agree to disagree

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    In pretty sure Rush had more than 4 good albums.

Fly by Night
    Caress of Steel
    A Farewell to Kings
    Hemispheres
    Moving Pictures

Muse also had some really solid albums, although I can't remember the names at the moment.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    is trent reznor a dick

oh nooo

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    HerrCron wrote: »
    You could make a case for Radiohead having four great albums, but no two people would agree on which four they are.
    (they have at least six)

I thought podly was gone

• Options
    i like to think kanye is playing the long game while his wife shakes down POTUS for pardons

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Dust.

Wind.

Dude.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Wait what the fuck monster hunter world is on game pass??
    *installs*

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    is trent reznor a dick

oh nooo

he gives his kids weird names I guess

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    depth of field on that guy in the back is menacing

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Kanye great albums: MBDTF, College Dropout, Graduation, Watch the Throne, Yeezus (YES I SAID IT, IT'S A GREAT ALBUM)

Unfortunately he's still Kanye and there's not enough great albums in the world to dig himself out of that hole.

If you think the list of older white men on the previous page are all saints well then

Show me by what logic someone's personality/lifestyle/views disqualifies their art from being great, but if it does then uh you were just discussing Trent Reznor?

This is such a tired argument so I'll just generally go over the points and c-points:

cp: all culture is interplay btwn artist and audience and the act of consumption inherently propagates a politics that is tinged with shittiness because all art is political
    p: multipolarity of interpretation and narrow-lens litcrit means that we can consume art deliberately from a removed and critical lens a la poststructuralism, etc etc

Agree to disagree

Personally I have a lot of trouble separating people from the content they create if it is a single well known face.

So really old or obscure stuff is actually okay because even if I know the author was a bad person it's kind of abstract?

But with current celebrities it seems more direct.

For example I liked a lot of Depp's movies but now I can't really stand them. My knowledge of him bleeds through and poisons the experience for me.

Though I fully accept I am uniquely weird like that.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Getting ready for work I slipped on the stairs and did a number on my tailbone

This bus ride is incredibly painful

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    depth of field on that guy in the back is menacing

It gives me an It Follows vibe.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Rip broar

• Options
    desc wrote: »
    Rip broar

I’m loaded up on painkillers and brought the heating pad

Pray for my ass

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Agree to disagree

oh ffs

I didn't say Kanye's music was shit. I said Kanye was shit while joking that there's not enough brilliant albums in the world to redeem him from shitness. A shitty person can also be a person who makes good art. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Then you tried to imply that I didn't like him because he's not an old white man which... what the hell, Eddy?

I wasn't "discussing" Trent Reznor's music. I was saying Trent Reznor is a whiny asshole because he bemoaned in a Rolling Stone interview how this younger generation just doesn't get rock and rock is dead. Because that's an asinine assertion. In his defense I think he did walk that back at some point though.

But I also think death of the author is a pretty silly concept and it gets used far too often to let people support shitty people that made something they like so sure agree to disagree is probably for the best.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Stoooop poking me!
    cB557 wrote: »
    For those who want to know what degloving is but don't want to google it, iirc it's about having all the skin on an area torn off.

I had industrial safety training every year for several years, I know all about degloving.

What we really looked forward to every year though, was a video about why it’s extra super duper important to wear proper eye protection.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Oh to answer the question its undoubtedly
    Your sound card works perfectly!

• Options
    How can Radiohead have four good albums when they don’t even have four good songs

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    Stoooop poking me!
    For those who want to know what degloving is but don't want to google it, iirc it's about having all the skin on an area torn off.

I had industrial safety training every year for several years, I know all about degloving.

What we really looked forward to every year though, was a video about why it’s extra super duper important to wear proper eye protection.

Now Im thinking of the Canadian workplace accidents videos, those things were unintentionally hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwCyVku1HvI

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    You know who had a ridiculous number of good albums?

Tangerine Dream

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    And there is literally no one who doesn't like this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gX1EP6mG-E

I have started arguing this or Take Me Home Country Road would be viable National Anthem replacements.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    OCMS wagon wheel or Darrius Rucker wagon wheel?

Trick question the best version is when they perform it as a duet

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I legit watched a drunken brawl start at a college party over Darius Rucker versus OCMS. A&M was awesome

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I mean if we’re picking a new national anthem I’d rather go with “This Land is Your Land”

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    I legit watched a drunken brawl start at a college party over Darius Rucker versus OCMS. A&M was awesome

I went to a weeklong class at TEEX five years ago and heard wagon wheel about fifty fucking times in four nights out.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    I mean if we’re picking a new national anthem I’d rather go with “This Land is Your Land”

You're right, BUT

They'd never let a communist like Woody Guthery represent us.

John Denver on the other hand...

The real answer is a Willy Nelson cover of either.

I like to ART
  • Options
    YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular
    When I look for great albums I look at Kodak.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Bruce Springsteen does a decent cover of it as well, although the people who’d have a problem with Guthrie but think Bruce is the best may have finally realized “Born in the USA” is deeply critical of how the American Dream has been sacrificed at the altar of mammon.

knitdan on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I use a program that gives me a nice ui to search twitch and then streams to vlc. it always dodged ads, which isn't why I use it at all but it's nice... but as of today, it has played an ad before going into two different streamers who I watched in the last few days with no ad.

interesting. it makes sense, it seems to be a way twitch is meant to function, there's no reason they wouldn't send ads this way too. but it's new to me.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Variable wrote: »
    I use a program that gives me a nice ui to search twitch and then streams to vlc. it always dodged ads, which isn't why I use it at all but it's nice... but as of today, it has played an ad before going into two different streamers who I watched in the last few days with no ad.

interesting. it makes sense, it seems to be a way twitch is meant to function, there's no reason they wouldn't send ads this way too. but it's new to me.

they change up their ad insertion methods every year or so.

• Options
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Stoooop poking me!

Now Im thinking of the Canadian workplace accidents videos, those things were unintentionally hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwCyVku1HvI

The shrieks from the woman who spills boiling oil on her face still haunt my dreams. I can't unhear them.

I'm all for unintentionally hilarious accidental (fake!) mutilation, I'm a big fan of the Final Destination series after all, but that was a bit much for me.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Man, young Bruce was a snack

• Options

Like so many though, missing the crucial verses.

I like to ART
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Tonights D&D session was fun:

The game starts with a quick fight against a bullette. The party recover various parts for sale and hopeful preservation.
    (Someone's trying to make a bullette head shield, they're possibly gonna take shield mastery because of it and I'm thoroughly into it.)

The party approaches a desert village. After finishing some business around town (trading, finding some way to preserve the bullette head for armour purposes) the party hits a very busy saloon.

As the party enters everyone takes notice. The fighter is using the breastplate of an elemental mirmadon FFS...he stands out, but he also has a billowing cloak cause he does that shit on purposs. The halfing barbarian uses the attention paid to the fighter and ranger to slip into the crowd, cause she ran into some devil problems last time she came through this town so she's trying not to get noticed and wants to be out of here quick, but they've been in the desert for days a drink sounds good, she gets her grog and gets lost in a sea of tall folk for what follows.

In the saloon there is obviously a din, card games are going, the party overhears some gossip about various digs and salt mining operations in the nearby desert. An elvish bugler plays a somewhat jovial tune.

Much of the party collects their drinks and bread to take to a table of their own. A lone table of patrons still watching the 4 noticeable members move about the bar. As the gnomish druid, elvish ranger, and elvish fighter take their seats the half elf bard goes to check a poster board in the corner and appreciate the elven bugler's skill.

As he checks the board the rest of the party is approached by one of the dragonborn that had continued to watch them as they moved through the room. He starts to ask the party if they would like to work for him as protection for him traveling the salt road to his mining operation, he plies them with fine wine normally unavailable at the bar.

Back at the poster board the bard notices a number of interesting posters, one for some raptor races in a town north of here, one a wanted poster for an old character everyone knows out of character, and one for the halfling barbarian, he pockets that wanted poster, and gives the bugle player a nod. The bugle player gives him a short couple of measures of an old military signal (there was a war in the past 5 years that the elves were heavily involved in) they bond over it and the bard subtly drops a plat in the bugler's hat as he makes his way over to see what this dragonborn is saying to the party.

The scene the bard arrives to is the party's fighter still talking to the dragonborn and scoffing at the pay he's offered for guard duties, and talking about having their own business in the desert. The dragonborn asks them, "what business could there be in the desert besides salt mining? You do not look like salt miners". At which point the drunk elf fighter starts to just immediately spill the beans about the ancient temple they are headed to. Before he can properly name it the rest of the party very obviously stomp his legs under the table. However the bard having just arrived calls to the elven bugler for a backin tune so he can tell the tale of the temple of harak turg (a straight up bluff he's is making shit up entirely). At this point I call for a roll on bluff. He gets a 25, and he makes his call for a tempo and starts to wind his tale about the temple.

It is at this moment one our missing players jumps on the remote call, playing this:
    https://youtu.be/raVe1hZxFAc
    Except live, from a fuckin lizzo concert. Completely unplanned. Cheers all around. We get a few bars of tempo and then we get back to game.

They very successfully dodge telling the oligarchy (qhat the dragonborn in my setting represent) about the actual ruins they are searching for and the bard very ably spins a yarn about a completely made up ancient temple somewhere in the desert (he just inadvertently threw a wrench into a just barely introduced rival too it was so good). After delivering this yarn and letting the bugler take the attention back he grabs the druid and the halfing and they get the fuck out of town for the night considering the halfing is wanted here and the gnome very visibly dislikes the dragonborn.

Eventually the remaining two party members agreed to leave at the same time as this dragonborn the following day (allowing them to pick up a preservative ugent for their bullette head), and to travel together for safety but to not continue on with him all the way to his destination (as it will take them days off their objectives in the desert). They availed themselves of this dragonborn's hospitality and slept in his friend's manor house and got a bath in the dragonborn bathhouse.

The missing player calls back in with lizzo playing juice, and that's the session wrap.

Tonight was a good night of D&D

Sleep on
  • Options
    That’s a different version than I thought it was, and I yeah it omits one crucial verse ( the one about private property) but it also adds a verse I’d never heard before now (one bright sunny morning in the shadow of the steeple)

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Modest Mouse:
    good
    Beck:
    good
    Trent Reznor:
    good
    The Perfect Drug:
    good
    Radiohead:
    good
    Doom Patrol:
    good
    Destiny 2:
    good

• Options
    That’s a different version than I thought it was, and I yeah it omits one crucial verse ( the one about private property) but it also adds a verse I’d never heard before now (one bright sunny morning in the shadow of the steeple)

Here's the full thing (I think):

This Land Is Your Land
    Words and Music by Woody Guthrie

This land is your land This land is my land
    From California to the New York island;
    From the red wood forest to the Gulf Stream waters
    This land was made for you and Me.

As I was walking that ribbon of highway,
    I saw above me that endless skyway:
    I saw below me that golden valley:
    This land was made for you and me.

I've roamed and rambled and I followed my footsteps