Options

Tides of [chat]

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    I'm don't think I've actually ever heard Vampire Weekend ..ever?

Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa
    M79
    Holiday
    Oxford Comma
    Ya Hey
    Walcott
    Mansard Roof
    A-Punk

If you like those, you like Vampire Weekend

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    it has stretchy person, the thing, the thing again and the person who looks like but isn't the invisible man as sue storm
    fantastic four confirmed

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I've considered this carefully and here is my top five list

Hannah Hunt and I Think Ur A Contra spoke to an unknown core of me and I tore myself apart trying to find it

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I'm surprised Contra is considered disappointing, it probably has my two most listened to songs of Vampire Weekend.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Do we have a doom patrol thread because oh my god I need one. Flex Mentallo!

Flex showed up?

!!!!!!!

You can do a free trial of the show and I HIGHLY recommend it. Easily the best DC live action I've seen aside from maybe like, The Dark Knight.
    Flex Mentallo is hilarious so far.

:eek:

That is extremely high praise for a Fantastic 4 knockoff!

....what?

How is Doom Patrol a Fantastic 4 knockoff?

If anything it's an X-Men knockoff.

wikipedia says Doom Patrol was around two months before X-Men #1 was printed.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I am so bad at art...endurance. I've cried twice this afternoon. I don't blink enough.

KxVrvSll.jpg

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
  • Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    I'm surprised Contra is considered disappointing, it probably has my two most listened to songs of Vampire Weekend.

I like it, but it’s my least-loved album. It comes off as more of a B-side album of stuff that was cut from the first.

I mean, not that that’s 100% bad. Sawdust is probably The Killers’ second-best album, and certainly no worse than third.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I assume @ElJeffe wouldn't appreciate me dropping this in the impeachment thread, even though I would argue he demanded I do so, quite pointedly, using a cypher only he and I can discern, and he will deny knowledge of.

Alternatively: I just saw this and quite enjoyed it, and hope'd you all might as well.

https://youtu.be/OqMs9WsJg2k

(PMJ does pretty excellent covers of songs in various retro styles. They often have special performing guests, but not this special.)

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    cB557 wrote: »

I think it was a good album - Taxi Cab, Giving Up The Gun, I Think Ur A Contra are all excellent songs, but that debut album was such a spot-on embodiment of a particular prep scene that seguing that scene to the psychological fallout and impossible constant emotional contortion from being around lazy trust fund kids was brilliant but still somehow jarring

Like waking up in a strange apartment that's way too big and you genuinely can't find your way out, it's cool but at first you go... 'wait how did I get here and how do I get out'

Thinking about it, the sophomore album was them declaring that all the prepstars who aspired to embody the first album were all actually unhinged assholes (The entire second half of the album is them sadly making fun of how completely out-of-touch elitist socialites are)

Eddy on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular

Flex showed up?

!!!!!!!

You can do a free trial of the show and I HIGHLY recommend it. Easily the best DC live action I've seen aside from maybe like, The Dark Knight.

....what?

oh well then i guess it's its own thing and isn't a knockoff at all my mistake

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I'm old I thought vampire weekend was where you got dressed up as vampires and hung out on the weekend.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    what's vampire weekend?

A post-punk/Afro-beat/baroque/electro/indie rock band

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    "Blameless Cleric"
    Celebrate
    I have replace every instance of Vampire Weekend with Lana Del Rey
    be careful what you wish for

NO AH

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I assume ElJeffe wouldn't appreciate me dropping this in the impeachment thread, even though I would argue he demanded I do so, quite pointedly, using a cypher only he and I can discern, and he will deny knowledge of.

Alternatively: I just saw this and quite enjoyed it, and hope'd you all might as well.

(PMJ does pretty excellent covers of songs in various retro styles. They often have special performing guests, but not this special.)

This is one of my favorites just for the fact they got the VAs to be in it.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Interesting trivia: Lana del Rey has only ever made one song

• Options

Flex showed up?

!!!!!!!

....what?

oh well then i guess it's its own thing and isn't a knockoff at all my mistake

Well it's great either way, and not just because

(Doom patrol show spoilers?)
    I finally know what Jacobkosh's avatar is.

Though what the hell he's saying is still a mystery.

I don't know if Flex Mentallo showing up is a spoiler to anyone who knows what a "Flex Mentallo" is.

• Options
    Atomika wrote: »

Aping Podly's schtick about AC/DC now? Oh how the mighty have fallen.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

WAS HE WRONG

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I got to write out the following passage for an interview I gave:
    His solution to question 7 was one of the longest and least efficient implementations I’ve ever seen, but to his credit, he completed it, it produced the right answer, and it correctly demonstrated, albeit unnecessarily, knowledge of dynamic memory management. We usually don’t ask questions on this topic but I can tell you now, [candidate] knows it.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I assume ElJeffe wouldn't appreciate me dropping this in the impeachment thread, even though I would argue he demanded I do so, quite pointedly, using a cypher only he and I can discern, and he will deny knowledge of.

This is one of my favorites just for the fact they got the VAs to be in it.

Though now I'm going to be a little disappointed if they do this song on tour and I don't turn around and see them working the bar.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    Eddy wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

WAS HE WRONG

Yes

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2019
    Some people at my local coffee roaster were talking about the new album and I was similarly baffled why anyone cares

Pretty much all the indie bands of any stripe from that era have quit while they’re ahead (the libertines) remade the same album until they ran their formula into the ground (the strokes) it tried and failed to branch out (animal collective)

VW, I’m sure falls into the second category but white privilege, cultural appropriation, cocaine, and a trust fund is a hell of a hell cocktail

Vanguard on
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I just like this band because they are called Dr. Dog.
    https://youtu.be/T85JAfMJ2vQ
    Also I feel at this point in my life most music I listen to must have some sort of beard requirement. :rotate:

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I skipped dr dog’s set 10 years ago when I saw Jeffrey Lewis

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Every restaurant and Cafe: *constantly playing new Vampire Weekend*

Me, the only person on Earth who doesn't really like Vampire Weekend: >:(

No, there's plenty of people who don't like Vampire Weekend.

• Options
    Vampire Weekend

Or

White Privilege, the Soundtrack

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    GETCHA HAHT TAKES, HAHT TAKES RIDE 'ERE

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    GETCHA HAHT TAKES, HAHT TAKES RIDE 'ERE

ONLY IN NEW YAWK

Vanguard on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Vampire Weekend

Or

White Privilege, the Soundtrack

Honestly couldn't tell you

I haven't listened to much indie rock at all since at least 07.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Some people at my local coffee roaster were talking about the new album and I was similarly baffled why anyone cares

Pretty much all the indie bands of any stripe from that era have quit while they’re ahead (the libertines) remade the same album until they ran their formula into the ground (the strokes) it tried and failed to branch out (animal collective)

VW, I’m sure falls into the second category but white privilege, cultural appropriation, cocaine, and a trust fund is a hell of a hell cocktail

They did the opposite of the second, they keep changing their sound. It might as well be four different bands releasing four different albums. The new one is just dull. It sounds like music that plays over the credits to a movie no one sticks around to watch the credits for.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    This is not an uncommon band for me to walk the dog to.

https://youtu.be/6vpXX5BjltM

The dudes voice just does not match what he looks like in my head.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i don't know anything about vampire weekend but vanguard's take seems spicy so I agree

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options

They did the opposite of the second, they keep changing their sound. It might as well be four different bands releasing four different albums. The new one is just dull. It sounds like music that plays over the credits to a movie no one sticks around to watch the credits for.

I heard Contra and it was still pretty much on the same wheelhouse as their first

More produced, slightly more electronic if I recall

But still afropop made by white rich kids mostly

• Options
    I’m not sure there’s many “good” bands that have made four or more solid albums.

I absolutely love Arcade Fire and The White Stripes and I don’t know if either has made four good albums

• Options
    I’m not sure there’s many “good” bands that have made four or more solid albums.

I absolutely love Arcade Fire and The White Stripes and I don’t know if either has made four good albums

This feels genre limited, me thinks.

• Options

I don’t know a lot about country music, true

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    This is not an uncommon band for me to walk the dog to.

https://youtu.be/6vpXX5BjltM

The dudes voice just does not match what he looks like in my head.

Spotify has started playing them in my daily lists. I enjoy it.

• Options

I don’t know a lot about country music, true

mft8i2bwikug.png

• Options

Sonic Youth has made like 20 albums

Half are good?

This discussion has been closed.