As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hades] is King of the Scythe and the Sword

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    It's just so nice that he doesnt have that fuckin shield

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Brolo wrote: »

Personally I'd swap Nyx and Hades.

"You know what? FINE! We'll get McDonald's! One black coffee to go please. What's that? Unsatisfied with a single black coffee? I hope you have learned your lesson, boy. Now get out of my sight!"

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Achilles has never allowed his children to consume processed food products

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    The comments about Extreme Measures making the Elysium boss easier has been amusing for me because it is by far the non-final boss encounter I die the most (really, at all) on because I keep dashing into Theseus' [redacted], which you would think would be easy to avoid.

Yeah that same thing happens to me with some builds and it hurts real bad

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    This is 100% the kind of thing that could be attributed to attribution bias, but does anyone else get the sense that getting a Boon from a specific god makes getting further Boons from that same god more likely? It feels that way, but I don't have any hard data or citations for it...

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Merp

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    This is 100% the kind of thing that could be attributed to attribution bias, but does anyone else get the sense that getting a Boon from a specific god makes getting further Boons from that same god more likely? It feels that way, but I don't have any hard data or citations for it...

I just assumed that each run has a set of gods you get boons from that you can change up with the items.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Wow milski wasnt kidding about Extreme Measures turning Theseus into a chump

Sure doesnt make Asterius any more chill however

I never kid, hobnail. Every one of my posts is as serious as yours always are

It absolutely does to encourage going deep on a given build, and there's a soft-cap on the number of different gods you can get boons from. You might be able to get four gods in the first level, but you probably won't get any more without forcing it via relics.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I got this game a few days ago and am having fun. Haven't had a successful run so far, but I've got to the Elysium boss a few times and damn near beat it on my last bow run.

Elysium Boss
    First time I got to it was on a shield run. Managed to kill the minotaur and am working away on the annoying asshole when he asks the gods for their help and all of a sudden I have to deal with Dionysus' dot on all of his attacks and circles of shit are constantly appearing. I'm pretty sure that both me irl and Zag in game both said some approximation of "What the fuck, I thought the gods wanted me to escape this place" at the same time.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

It sure does seem like it to me.

• Options
    I find it best to always play it straight in a text medium tone can be so difficult to convey

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Holy shit. I just realized I can switch options in the mirror.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Holy shit. I just realized I can switch options in the mirror.

yeah I missed that one until several runs later

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    My favorite build right now is the spear with the Deflect on attack, then longer attack distance, and hold attack button to continuously attack.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    The dialogue in this game is so good.

Zag's "Alright!...let's catch some fish" killed me.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    I've been powering through this, and have done three full successful runs. The tempo of this game is insane, and I love it. I thought it was a little too easy at first, as I beat the first boss on my third attempt I think, and then the second boss on my second. Then it took me another four runs to beat the mini boss of the third area, which was a big wake up call. The boss of Elysium is still my least favorite.

On my most recent run (whole dungeon spoilers):
    I was using the shield just to get some non heat based Titan's Blood and Diamonds, as I hadn't ever made it that far with the shield. And I was very amused when, having made it to Hades, I could just look at his giant fuck you lasers, and put up my shield and block them. It was beautiful and completely changed the tempo of that fight. I won, and talked to Persephone again.

Late game story question:
    How many times to I have to escape the underworld and talk to Persephone do I need to do before I get to see credits?

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    How many times to I have to escape the underworld and talk to Persephone do I need to do before I get to see credits?
    Ten times.

• Options
    Just survived an Extremer Measures run with only 4 health left. That got way too close. The 19 clear streak continues!

Steam ID
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I got through elysium once because I had a solid build and I got to refresh all my revives before I went in

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I hate Elysium so much

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Patroclus with the death defiance refills is often highly clutch

• Options
    At this rate I’m probably going to max out all possible friendships before i win a single game

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    never die wrote: »
    Ten times.

Awesome, thanks!

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    I realized today that I really like that you are referred to differently by various characters.

Actual name from Artemis and Athena because they're civil.

Little Hades from Poseidon because he's definitely That Kind Of Unc.

Cuz from Hermes since you're bros.

Little Sprout from Demeter because she's definitely That Kind Of Matriarch.

Zag from Dionysus because That's So Dio.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Best ship is Aphrodite x Sword Hidden Aspect

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I beat the final boss and flubbed the final fishing opportunity of a run nooooooooooooo

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    darunia106 wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »

Personally I'd swap Nyx and Hades.

"You know what? FINE! We'll get McDonald's! One black coffee to go please. What's that? Unsatisfied with a single black coffee? I hope you have learned your lesson, boy. Now get out of my sight!"

Chaos would comment on the infinite timelines in which all of the characters did any and all of the things on that chart.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Got to the final boss for the first time in that run I paused last night. Probably would have beat it... but I got greedy running the hallways beforehand and tapped out my health a bit too much. Still got them to stage three and very low though, so not bad for my first try. Especially since I don't have all my Death's Defiances yet. And now I have weapon aspects, neat.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Beat the final boss for the first time since 1.0 hit tonight.

I was using the fists (magnetic cutter variety, my favorite), with a real nasty combo of an Aphrodite special and a Dionysus attack. So pulling an enemy in (and weakening them just in case), then five empowered punches (plus the added benefit of two statuses on them after the first punch), and if they were still alive, dashing out of there to let the hangover fuck 'em up.

It was very strong early on, but it requires being extremely close and personal with enemies, and I started taking big hits towards the end. Luckily, right before I fought the final boss, I got the super fast charge but 25% maximum call boon, which combined with an Athena call. Essentially leaving me to switch on deflect, jump into melee, uppercut and five punches, and then dodge back to cover.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    How are people progressing so far in this game in this short a time

You are all too good at videogames, you nerds

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

I just turned on easy mode

I'm at 74% damage reduction and having significantly more fun now

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I've been surprised that I haven't really felt the need to turn on god mode or anything, it feels...relatively well tuned to me, at least when I get the right boons or whatever and don't leave the thing that gives me bonus damage to distant foes while I'm using a sword.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Yeah I’ve been getting steadily able to get to the hydra in act 2 but I haven’t felt like hitting the god mode switch yet

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    The Judge wrote: »
    I realized today that I really like that you are referred to differently by various characters.

Actual name from Artemis and Athena because they're civil.

Little Hades from Poseidon because he's definitely That Kind Of Unc.

Cuz from Hermes since you're bros.

Little Sprout from Demeter because she's definitely That Kind Of Matriarch.

Zag from Dionysus because That's So Dio.

i think Dionysus might be my favorite character in the game. the writing is great and it's made a thousand times better by the absolutely perfect voice casting/acting

• Options
    Yeah I fucking love Dionysus

All the casting in this game is top notch really

But Skelly rules ok, boyo?

• Options
    edited September 2020

This is like my fourth or fifth go at the game sInce early access, I never reset because the game always built on itself seamlessly. So everything was already maxed outside of gem and titan blood upgrades for 1.0

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    Yeah I’ve been getting steadily able to get to the hydra in act 2 but I haven’t felt like hitting the god mode switch yet

some of it is just getting better at the game but I'm also sure that a lot of it is getting all the passive bonuses, like...I'm melting the harpies, at this point, and assuming I have a decent build, I can generally get through the hydra pretty consistently

I'm also largely getting through to the boss fight in elysium, I just...can't quite consistently get over the hump. I'm pretty close, though, I tend to get it to like, 5% left and take a risk and then forget I'm out of revives, though

• Options
    I finally got a summon but then i hold onto it and never use it or i just plain forget i have it.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I kept God Mode off until I hit my first full win, and then I basked in my triumph and turned that shit the fuck on because once I'm at "repeating content to get to new content," I have nothing left to prove to myself and just want Zag and Meg to smooch