[Hades] is King of the Scythe and the Sword

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Dealing with armored mobs in Elysium is enough of a problem for me that I will always take armor damage buffs

QRK7dOP.gif
    MaddocMunkus BeaverMysstJavenKwoaruFearghaillStiltsNiryaBeastehPhillishere
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Getting that Butterfly Ball encounter in Elysium without armor damage boons seems like a real bad time.

camo_sig2.png
    PSN: AuthorFrost
    mageofstorm.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Also it's not strictly true that you don't have to deal with armor in boss fights

97H9G7S.png PSN - Masked Unit | FFXIV - Laitarne Gilgamesh
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Also it's not strictly true that you don't have to deal with armor in boss fights

In fact I think its only irrelevant in Elysium, ironically (2 if we count some variations in biome 1)

Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    If you ask me, part of the trick with the secret gun is not shooting your own specials

Let enemies attack them or dash through them or place them next to each other so they hurt themselves

godmodeAbsurdPropositionCorp.ShephardKwoaru
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    what are boons i should be looking for with the rail? i never manged to make this thing work in the beta, and that trend appears to be repeating itself in the final release.

Eris Rail: You want a stacking debuff of some kind on your main attack - Dio is king, Demeter is also very good here, Ares is also worth mentioning. Special you want somethign that hits hard. Artemis or Aphordite are your best bets, Athena is good too.

Eris Rail mostly invovles ignoring your cast to a degree, and just sending bombs into the air as much as possible. Hot take: Rocket upgrades are pretty fucking weak, as they throw off the timing on when you can fire a new bomb. You always want to have a new bomb in the air. Carpet bom that shit. In between carpet bombs, use your dash attack cosntantly to reposting and blow things up.

Best upgrades for the rail are anything that makes your shot more powerful, and anything that makes your bomb more powerful - 5x bomb and or super-bomb but now it self damages are the highlights here.

Athena dash is real good, obviously. But mostly, it's just amazing to be able to bomb yourself, kill most things with the bombs (they hit HARD), and get a big arse damage bonus, which in turn lets you blow things apart with your main gun. I hope that helps.

I can record and post some gunplay tomorrow or somehting.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    Knight_
    Rail was purple with Darkness boost so I decided to give it a whirl before bed. See what boons are available, weapon upgrades, playstyle, maybe even catch a fish before getting slaughtered so I could go to bed.

And then I kinda just...went all the way for my third clear. Weapon upgrades were triple Special and piercing Attack. Boons were a mix of Artemis and Demeter powering up my Special and Cast, Zeus adding Chain Lightning + Jolted to my Attack, and Dionysus with the ever lovely full heal plus damage boost with every fountain. I had no Deflect or extra Dashes or anything else with some utility. Just straight damage with lots of explosions and lightning. Theseus got absolutely destroyed and Hades didn't fare much better.

Now it is way late and I am absolutely going to regret not pausing the run midway through to go to bed. If that's even possible.

camo_sig2.png
    mageofstorm.png
    FearghaillTofystedeth
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited October 15
    Madican wrote: »
    Getting that Butterfly Ball encounter in Elysium without armor damage boons seems like a real bad time.

idk, i've never had any trouble with armored enemies. The only time armored enemies annoy me are when the elysium warriors turn into also armored little blobs but otherwise I barely notice.

Madican wrote: »

Now it is way late and I am absolutely going to regret not pausing the run midway through to go to bed. If that's even possible.

you can generally quit out of any room after you've cleared the enemies.

cursedking on
    Madican
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I'll advocate for Rocket Bomb on the Eris Rail: my experience trying to activate the damage boost was that I got slapped in the face a lot while trying to move into the space occupied by the enemy I was firing at, since I tend to fire from far enough away that they haven't started attacking yet. Rocket Bomb lets you choose an arbitrary time to blast an enemy at point-blank range, making activating and retaining your damage boost much easier.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • KwoaruKwoaru Registered User regular
    I generally lean towards taking an armor breaking hammer boon if offered one unless the other options enable a busted build or I already have a busted build going

But I also think being able to make enemies susceptible to hit stun as fast as possible is absolutely critical, if I'm running with a build that just isn't coming together being able to bust armor makes a big difference

2x39jD4.jpg
    StraightziMadicandarunia106Javen
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I’m getting wailed on for my 32 heat runs! What are people’s favored heat settings / weapon combos

Eris rail or one of the shields is my fave so far

Elki wrote: »

Casual Eddy: best poster 2014.
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Casual Eddy: best poster of 2015

gotta update that stuff man
    Brolo
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited October 15
    I’m getting wailed on for my 32 heat runs! What are people’s favored heat settings / weapon combos

Eris rail or one of the shields is my fave so far

Chiron bow, try for Aphrodite special and chaos special boons.

I've also seen Chaos shield with zeus special do naughty things.

Here's where I posted my first 32 heat win: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/42936540#Comment_42936540

Tynnan on
    Casual Eddy
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    30 runs deep and I'm discovering I'm actually not very good with the spear

dN0T6ur.png
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I thought I liked the spear but I think I actually don't? It feels like a hybrid of a melee and ranged weapon in a bad way and all of the attacks feel just a little too clunky.

I dunno. Someone sell me on the spear.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    I thought I liked the spear but I think I actually don't? It feels like a hybrid of a melee and ranged weapon in a bad way and all of the attacks feel just a little too clunky.

I dunno. Someone sell me on the spear.

Get the Chain Skewer hammer upgrade

Alternatively, charge the regular attack, and then instead of releasing it normally, dash in the direction you want to hit

97H9G7S.png PSN - Masked Unit | FFXIV - Laitarne Gilgamesh
    I thought Spear was good when I got the right hammer upgrades but other stuff is just better

camo_sig2.png
    mageofstorm.png
    darunia106
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    The Hades aspect for the spear is pretty terrific when you level it up. Charge your spin as enemies are spawning and you start each engagement with a lot of damage and something like a 70% damage bonus on everything your swing hits. It turns a "why would I use this" move into a core gesture, which is always great.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    The JudgeAbsurdPropositionMysst
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular
    That’s actually about where I am with the spear. It was my first clear weapon, but the more I’ve gotten used to others the clunkier it has felt. I wasn’t huge on sword until I got the hidden aspect, but now that has caused the spear to drop solidly to my least favorite weapon.

PJtsz6X.png
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I like the base spear, and I rely a lot on the ranged attacks with it. I specifically don't do chain skewer though - it's all about the recall for me. There's an ability that gives the spear bonus crit chance and armor piercing on recall that I really like - combine that with like a backstab Chaos boon and some Artemis boons and you can do some very impressive crits with it

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Finishing up the duo boons prophecy feels special
    vVMTgqF.png

I never again have to take a boon to finish a prophecy.

Still missing a spear and a fists upgrade for their prophecies, though.

Switch: SW-6132-4331-5349 || Steam
    TynnanWybornCasual EddyLalaboxDee Kae
    I look forward to never again taking a non-optimal boon for the sake of getting materials, but right now I like getting the materials and filling the list

The spear is interesting to me because I think my first impression of it—triple stab with Athena boon on Attack—gave me a kind of skewed impression about how powerful it is

I think in my heart of hearts I'd probably want Doom on its special, maybe with Chain Skewer. Are there any hammer upgrades that are particularly good for the Aspect of Achilles? I do like the damage bonuses you get with it and the ability to reposition yourself in a flash

dN0T6ur.png
  • Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited October 15
    I like the spear a lot but it took me a while to get a 32 heat win with it. Though "it took me a while" when I've only won with Sword and Spear at that heat doesn't mean too much I guess. It took ~8 attempts probably.

Achilles' Spear is one of the best for cast-based builds. +150% damage on a cast is huge for big hits. I had a Freezing Trippy Fog that hit for 1400 damage with the spear buff active. Instant kill any enemies and chunked bosses down. I love that playstyle.

If you're okay with a high risk-reward setup then I think the secret spear is actually great for a high heat run. It has innate healing so you can turn on -100% healing and just heal from your weapon. If you can get the Daedalus hammers that improve spin attacks you're pretty much golden. It's a bit weak against bosses though so tempering your level of extreme measures would be key.

Corp.Shephard on
    EkaatajVkAEpVFc?format=jpg&name=large

Here is a run that I thought was going to be hopeless until I got two hammers in Elysium; the first had Shadow Slash, when I already had Excruciating Ambush, and when World Splitter came up... I guess the rest wrote itself

I was critting Theseus, Asterius, and the final boss for about 1400 apiece, and would have been getting even more if I had been using a shot-based cast like Aphrodite or Artemis

A run coming together very late in the game is satisfying

dN0T6ur.png
    Brolo
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    My favorite runs are the ones where I lose 1-2 death defiance through Elysium because my build is a complete shitshow and then everything clicks and I tear through the rest of the run.

Often bolstered by finding Patroclus, but still.

KalTorakLalaboxKamiro
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    My favorite runs are the ones where I lose 1-2 death defiance through Elysium because my build is a complete shitshow and then everything clicks and I tear through the rest of the run.

Often bolstered by finding Patroclus, but still.

That just happened to me, I took the sword upgrade that reduces your max health but Attacking gives you 2 health. It wasn't a great build but I managed to squeak though with lots of incidental damage sources, healing by beating up those flaming skulls.

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    just had an erubus gate with minichariots on fists, fucking horseshit

ikbUJdU.jpg
    Twitter Steam Playstation- Mechaphiliac
    Mysst wrote: »

Sounds like a lot of run-cast-run-cast-run-cast-ohgodwhy-run-cast

Phoenix-D
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited October 16
    I just had a run with the aspect of Poseidon where I went deep through Artemis's boons and some lucky chaos rolls. Basically, Poseidon call, the damage on dislodge, mark on crit, Artemis cast, 40% move speed bonus damage for move speed and the health on attack (+flurry) hammer abilities -- oh, and bonus bloodstone

I would do a significant fraction of Hades' health bar -- like a quarter -- just with one set of casts and recoveries. It was nuts, just an insanely fast fight.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular

That's basically the worst combination for me, and I don't plan ahead enough with fists to get a cast like, Poseidon to take them out.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Septus wrote: »

That's basically the worst combination for me, and I don't plan ahead enough with fists to get a cast like, Poseidon to take them out.

I had aphrodite :(

ikbUJdU.jpg
    Twitter Steam Playstation- Mechaphiliac
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

you can just run/dash away from them and they'll suicide on their own after a while

StraightziTynnan
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

you can just run/dash away from them and they'll suicide on their own after a while

This is a coward move. The fist special has just enough range to kill the chariots from outside their explosion range.

Garthor wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »

This is a coward move. The fist special has just enough range to kill the chariots from outside their explosion range.

Evading the chariots is good practice for Asterius

camo_sig2.png
    mageofstorm.png
    Aioua
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I finally made it to the last boss, hooray
    I got absolutely bodied, only took away about half his health. Had a fun shoeld build that really only came together late, lightning on cast and on Poseidon knockback, with the dash and attack knockback boons, and the Ares/Zeus duo that auto triggered lightning every few seconds and an epic version of the AoE upgrade for the lightning strikes.

admanbKetBradarunia106TynnanH0b0man
  • LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Fun fact: Benefits Package can give those mini-chariots a laser that links them, which I also discovered in an Erebus gate. Did not last long.

Also, the benefit that means enemies periodically give surrounding enemies a shield? Is hell in rooms full of armoured skulls. Luckily I had Ares blade boons, but oof, rough.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • burboburbo Registered User regular
    I got to that symphony late, did they play Zias theme from Bastion?

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    My #1 favorite little thing is going over to your fan shade after the theseus battle and saying hi

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    admanbMr FuzzbuttGrey GhostKamiroMysstTynnandarunia106BroloAbsurdPropositionknitdanAtari SoulErlecPeewiBeastehJayKaosRadiusKwoaruCasual EddyAlanF5
  • AbsurdPropositionAbsurdProposition Registered User regular
    Discovered in my last run that Athena's deflect on Attack is pretty funny with the hidden sword.
    Against waves of ranged enemies, I used the defensive aura to slow bullets down which made timing the reflects really easy. The Exposed boon works nicely for melee enemies too, since it sets you up for great backstab combos (helped by the deflect boons also giving a good +% damage increase).

I wouldn't consider it broken, but it ended up a much more functional choice than I would've guessed before picking it up.

Corp.Shephard
    Discovered in my last run that Athena's deflect on Attack is pretty funny with the hidden sword.
    Against waves of ranged enemies, I used the defensive aura to slow bullets down which made timing the reflects really easy. The Exposed boon works nicely for melee enemies too, since it sets you up for great backstab combos (helped by the deflect boons also giving a good +% damage increase).

I wouldn't consider it broken, but it ended up a much more functional choice than I would've guessed before picking it up.
    Batter UP!

AbsurdProposition