As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hades] is King of the Scythe and the Sword

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Fucking hell. Decided to turn god mode off and see how I do and I didn't even make it out of Asphodel

is your mirror maxed out? do you have upgrades on your favorite aspects?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Only mirror upgrade I don't have is what I assume is the last step of the one that lets me re-roll boons

I've spread my blood a bit too thin but I'm trying to bump the weapon aspects I like now

I also got just a really paltry selection of boons on that run and didn't feel like I was hitting very hard

• Options
    Only mirror upgrade I don't have is what I assume is the last step of the one that lets me re-roll boons

I've spread my blood a bit too thin but I'm trying to bump the weapon aspects I like now

I also got just a really paltry selection of boons on that run and didn't feel like I was hitting very hard

yeah it makes a real big difference if you can get the bonus from two stacking status effects, the bloodstone bonus damage, and then the maxed out damage from like the Punishing Sweep spear aspect (+ 150% damage) or the Rail/Eris damage aspect (+75%). When you're doing 3x-4x your normal damage it just makes fights so much shorter, and that's the real trick to surviving.

• Options
  • Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Fulfilled the prophecy for the secret bow aspect but I don't think I'll be using it again for now. Another one I can't figure out how to optimize

I only cleared it on five heat but it seemed pretty straightforward. The Attack has really high base damage and the Special is a huge damage buff. Just put something like Hangover on the special and high % damage on the Attack and it kinda just works out. Bonus if you get a duo that syncs up, like Doom Special + Weak Attack.

My go-to is still Hera but that’s just because I found the secret kind of boring.

With the secret bow, I found the key was to spread the special around all over the place, then let enemies group so that you get several of them in a single one of those wide, powerful shots on the attack. The more you catch in the attack, the more shared damage.

It also takes some getting used to the slower charge on the power shot, but nailing it of course makes a big difference.

• Options
    Yeah I hate the power shot on the regular bow and an even slower charge on the secret one was killing me

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    My issue with the secret bow is that my ability to power shot the regular bow is almost entirely muscle memory. Changing the timing on the power shot just... I'll just continue to release at the same point that it would have been for the regular bow.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    I do enjoy the chord that plays as you charge up the secret bow

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    So I thought Satyrs were goat dudes who just liked to 1. fuck and 2. drink, why are they weird poison creatures in this
    is there story stuff about it? I've only been to the final area once

There's some story stuff
    at one point Dionysus told me "yeah i don't know what the fuck are up with those satyrs, the ones i know are chill as hell and you'll have a great time hanging out with them"

if they do DLC/expansion content, I hope we see some Bacchae enemies

partying so hard it kills you

• Options
    Hades hearts
    Are there any specific conditions to getting my daddy past 3 hearts? I've beat him like 20-25 times now I think.
    Ive beat him with his own artifact. I've beat him on extreme measures. Do I need to get to the epilogue or something to progress that?

• Options
    Also I swear I've been playing this lyre forever and that prophecy has not completed

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Just hit Styx for the first time. I’d finally figured out the shield and picked up an Artemis boon that meant an arrow would strike any enemy I hit with a shield throw, giving everyone I hit an additional stagger. It was just ridiculous, and that was before the pom upgrades made my strengths even stronger. Elysium was a non-issue and I defeated Theseus and the Minotaur on my first time meeting them.

In Styx I died of poisonous rats.

I still don’t understand the fists or the gun. Neither of them hit hard enough, or seem to provide any immediate solutions for crowd work. The gun’s rocket is fine enough, but beyond that both seem to rely heavily on the dash mechanic to shore them up. Any recommendations?

• Options
    Just hit Styx for the first time. I’d finally figured out the shield and picked up an Artemis boon that meant an arrow would strike any enemy I hit with a shield throw, giving everyone I hit an additional stagger. It was just ridiculous, and that was before the pom upgrades made my strengths even stronger. Elysium was a non-issue and I defeated Theseus and the Minotaur on my first time meeting them.

I still don’t understand the fists or the gun. Neither of them hit hard enough, or seem to provide any immediate solutions for crowd work. The gun’s rocket is fine enough, but beyond that both seem to rely heavily on the dash mechanic to shore them up. Any recommendations?

Fists: find a stacking or non-scaling power for your primary. Dionysus is excellent, as is Zeus. Demeter can also work well. Use that attack speed to build up debuffs on the enemy and then dodge around as hangover kills everything.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Also I swear I've been playing this lyre forever and that prophecy has not completed

It takes forever. Just do it every time you're in your room and it'll happen eventually.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

I think both weapons are a lot more boon-dependent than the others. For the fist, the knockback boons from Poseidon are very powerful, and the gun's Daedalus boons can be game-changing.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

It takes forever. Just do it every time you're in your room and it'll happen eventually.

I haven't completed this quest yet either but there is
    at least one cutscene where Orpheus gives you tips

that probably matter for completion.

• Options

The special on the fists will be pretty decent at handling crowds, and the dash strike can get a couple of enemies as well. The big thing with the fists is being very fast and mobile though - get in, do your five hits, and get out. As you have those quick five hits, it can be very good for applying stacks to enemies - Dionysus's hangover is particularly good. Once that's on there you can let a lot of enemies just wear themselves out, so go to the other side of the map and do the same thing to another enemy.

I also recommend grabbing dodge % abilities with them, as you are inevitably going to take a few hits - the Hermes keepsake and Hermes boons can be good for this (if you're using the keepsake there's also a Hermes boon to give you a damage bonus based on your speed bonuses, which stacks in really nicely).

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

The special on the fists will be pretty decent at handling crowds, and the dash strike can get a couple of enemies as well. The big thing with the fists is being very fast and mobile though - get in, do your five hits, and get out. As you have those quick five hits, it can be very good for applying stacks to enemies - Dionysus's hangover is particularly good. Once that's on there you can let a lot of enemies just wear themselves out, so go to the other side of the map and do the same thing to another enemy.

I also recommend grabbing dodge % abilities with them, as you are inevitably going to take a few hits - the Hermes keepsake and Hermes boons can be good for this (if you're using the keepsake there's also a Hermes boon to give you a damage bonus based on your speed bonuses, which stacks in really nicely).

Gotta confess, I am seldom using the dash strike on purpose. Probably a huge blindspot in my strategies.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Yeah I hate the power shot on the regular bow and an even slower charge on the secret one was killing me

I found that it isn't even worth it to do the standing attack on the secret bow. Always do dash attacks.

Also never take the anvil because landing on explosive shot with the slower charge is real bad.

Garthor on
  • Options
    Garthor wrote: »

I found that it isn't even worth it to do the standing attack on the secret bow. Always do dash attacks.

Also never take the anvil because landing on explosive shot with the slower charge is real bad.

yeah I've never taken anvil, like you've spent the last three acts making a build around your hammer upgrades, swapping so late in the game seems weird

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Garthor wrote: »

yeah I've never taken anvil, like you've spent the last three acts making a build around your hammer upgrades, swapping so late in the game seems weird

I've done it once on a run where my hammer upgrades were completely non-synergistic for an otherwise successful build, and it did get better!

• Options
    I've had plenty of runs with just kind of bad or I guess really just not good hammer upgrades offered to me - there are few hammer upgrades I'd consider actively bad, but there's quite a few that I'll take just for their incidental bonuses and not build my whole character around, like quick spin or empowering flight

And yeah I'll take the anvil then

Ideally I like to grab it before I do the fourth zone, if I'm going to grab it, so I can learn what my new setup is

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I feel like taking the anvil has almost never worked out the way I wanted but also I take it almost every time because I'm a sucker for the thrill of possibly getting two great boons in exchange for one I dont like

But usually I lose the boon I liked and get two that do nothing together

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    I did take the anvil last night on a gun run because after taking the cluster bombs early on, I had real poor luck with the various boons I got, and my second hammer upgrade, etc (had few that were helpful, ended up grabbing one that makes enemies hit by my special take more damage, but didn't seem to help much). Figured it was worth the gamble, and I lost the second hammer upgrade I got to get faster fire rate and higher ammo plus explosive rounds. Not the absolute best, but it is always fun to take out the heavy bolter.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I feel like taking the anvil has almost never worked out the way I wanted but also I take it almost every time because I'm a sucker for the thrill of possibly getting two great boons in exchange for one I dont like

But usually I lose the boon I liked and get two that do nothing together

Anvil's usually pretty situational on whether I'll take it. Mostly depends on whether I've got really good synergies on my two hammers already, or if I have a must-keep hammer ability. If not, I'll roll with it.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    also with the secret bow I ended up using it much more often as a quasi-melee weapon on it's attack, just so I didn't have to sit there like a big dummy for a long period of time.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Secret bow's special is great for spreading around doom

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Anvil has generally been a big upgrade for me every time I’ve used it.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    also with the secret bow I ended up using it much more often as a quasi-melee weapon on it's attack, just so I didn't have to sit there like a big dummy for a long period of time.

I think part of why it clicked for me is that I was used to playing bow as pseudo-melee by just pumping up the special and shotgun-blasting fools.

• Options
    secret bow primary is great with artemis crit and Marked status boons

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Someone was asking about 32 heat

I just beat it for the first time following some of @Kid Presentable’s advice

Mainly, do not:
    reduce healing, healing is really great and impossible to do without unless you can guarantee you're not getting hit
    increase enemy move/attack speed, it completely changes the cadence of their attack patterns and is hard to deal with
    do the time limit, many times you'll want to clear stuff slowly and carefully to avoid getting hit

You should absolutely use a full upgraded weapon. I used the secret trinket and the broken spearpoint at the end. I used re-roll boon over re-roll room because I took the heat where you only get 2/3 boons. Rerolling the boon selects 3 random boons and then blocks a random one, so it can save you if the ONE BOON you need to tie together your build is blocked you can roll for another chance.

the eris gun is a really good because it boosts all your damage by 75% (so like, call and DoT damage is increased also). I think charon's bow would be good too.

oh and as for increasing heat gradually, I just made the jump from 16 to 32. It took several tries. I did practice the last boss on extreme measures on a lower heat several times, because that fight is very spicy even if you can beat normal hades consistently

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    Two fun facts I learned on my most recent run

The fists upgrade that has you heal after you kill an enemy with the special also includes any status effects applied by the special, such as Doom

For the purpose of that same upgrade, the skulls that the final boss chucks around count as enemies, so essentially he's tossing around little bits of delicious candy for you to uppercut directly into your mouth

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular

I just beat it for the first time following some of "Kid Presentable"’s advice

Mainly, do not:
    reduce healing, healing is really great and impossible to do without unless you can guarantee you're not getting hit
    increase enemy move/attack speed, it completely changes the cadence of their attack patterns and is hard to deal with
    do the time limit, many times you'll want to clear stuff slowly and carefully to avoid getting hit

You should absolutely use a full upgraded weapon. I used [redacted]'s trinket and the broken spearpoint at the end. I used re-roll boon over re-roll room because I took the heat where you only get 2/3 boons. Rerolling the boon selects 3 random boons and then blocks a random one, so it can save you if the ONE BOON you need to tie together your build is blocked you can roll for another chance.

the eris gun is a really good because it boosts all your damage by 75% (so like, call and DoT damage is increased also). I think charon's bow would be good too.

oh and as for increasing heat gradually, I just made the jump from 16 to 32. It took several tries. I did practice the last boss on extreme measures on a lower heat several times, because that fight is very spicy even if you can beat normal hades consistently

You might want to redact a spoiler in this post.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Hades got a thirsty write-up in my local alt weekly. Figured y'all would appreciate this. 😏

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »

I just beat it for the first time following some of "Kid Presentable"’s advice

Mainly, do not:

You should absolutely use a full upgraded weapon. I used [redacted]'s trinket and the broken spearpoint at the end. I used re-roll boon over re-roll room because I took the heat where you only get 2/3 boons. Rerolling the boon selects 3 random boons and then blocks a random one, so it can save you if the ONE BOON you need to tie together your build is blocked you can roll for another chance.

You might want to redact a spoiler in this post.

whoops! done

• Options
    I had a run with the demeter cast where I managed to get its level up to 10, and get some other upgrade boons for it. That thing cut through bosses like nobodies business

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    I have gained the hidden gun aspect. That was fun. Had a lightning laser and shot wine-balls everywhere. Just need the hidden glove aspect to complete my set.
    Been harder to get that one since I rarely seem to get Asterius as a mini-boss lately. Always that damn soul-catcher. Felt like I used to fight him every time I fought through Elysium.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Ok I'll bite. What's the reason I should be picking room rerolls over boon rerolls?

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Mostly it’s useful if you want to maximize boons, or switch up the collection rewards, or if you want to take a chance that you’ll get a more synergistic boon (like if it’s an Athena room but you need an Artemis boon)

If you want to try for a specific build, boon rerolls are still the way to go.

But with room rerolls, you can switch within the collectible group (darkness, gems, keys, and ambrosia) or the more valuable group (money, centaur heart, boons, hammer if available). The only thing you can’t reroll is shops and exclamation point rooms

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Also in Styx you can reroll any room into a boon

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1