As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hades] is King of the Scythe and the Sword

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Hephaestus would have a lot of overlap with the Daedalus hammers

to me Apollo is the weirdest omission

That's why Daedalus should just be replaced with Hephaestus!

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah Apollo not being in the game has always felt really weird to me

I would have done him over Dionysus or Hermes

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Apollo's a sun god, ain't no sun underground. QED.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    My best guess at this point is he's being held back deliberately for DLC/sequel

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The honest truth is that I can make a case for essentially any Greek god being a useful person to grant boons. Except maybe Hestia, but she's technically already in the game because the gun was her Olympian weapon.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    What's the guess on the weapon?

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    My top hope is still boxing gloves

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Fist weapon or blades of chaos

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    big fuckoff axe

one of the aspects will be Asterius

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    We already have Guan Yu in the game, give me a giant warhammer with an aspect of Thor so I can chuck it at people

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Supergiant loves their big ol’ hammers, that seems like a safe bet to me. Something slow that does a bunch of damage (but it’s so slow and inconvenient I’ll never use it)

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    If they did a hammer, the fourth aspect for a different time/place's mythology could be John Henry

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    A whip would be cool

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Hera, maybe? That hair makes me think Hera.

I read somewhere that devs do not intend to add more gods (hopefully, they change their mind, it will be weird to not have at least Haphaestus there). What's shown in the teaser is probably new art for Nyx.

I think when they said they werent adding more gods, that they were referring to full blown sets of boons (That seems more of an expansion). but They could still introduce say, hera as a gameplay mechanic...like Hera being spiteful that everyone is giving you attention instead of her could steal your boons or make you fight for them. Theres still a lot of room for keepsakes in the box too.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    My vote is for a magic rod that works like the carbine in Bastion

• Options
    I feel like the charge->shoot mechanic would be too close to the bow, and there's already a gun in the Rail

that said, with the way the weapons are laid out it could make sense for it to be a 3rd ranged weapon, that way it would be melee along one wall, ranged along the other

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I've now gotten up to a 7 heat clear with a fully charged adamant rail "stand in your blast and get +dmg" aspect. It was the first time I fought the suped up Champion bosses, I honestly found them easier in that mode than in their normal mode. The chariot guy is way easier to avoid when he's just doing donuts around the arena.

edit:
    I really wish they would allow you to respec your weapon aspects, even if there was some sort of cost to doing it. Titan blood is so slow to come by, that now I'm just not spending it at all because I don't know what aspect is worth it and I don't want to waste it.

I'm basically only using the slow spin aspect of the shield, auto target bow, and charged adamant rail and that's it.

But damn, going full Zeus build with the slow spin shield is such a fun way to play. if you get a good roll on the special damage, you can do upwards of 75 per tick, then get the boon where it can get up to 55% chance to double strike, while it just spins and spins and also get the boon where any lightning damage produces another lightning damage.

It is...good.

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    for the other weapons, Poseidon Sword is good if you like Cast-based builds, otherwise the Nemesis aspect is good all-around for melee swordsing

Spear aspects are trickier. I think my favourite spear aspect is actually Zagreus, which is also super cheap to max out. It's mostly only good for Special-focused builds but it's great with those. Especially +dmg% specials. Hades spear is awful, Guan Yu is good but difficult with the max health penalty. Achilles spear can be crazy strong if used right with a cast build (throw, dash, next two casts are +150% damage).

• Options
    I'm ready.
    have 20+ Titan blood, diamonds, and ambrosia each, 5k darkness (In case they add another use for it), 7 nectar, 30 keys.

Codex is completely unlocked, beat heat 8 with shield, all the other weapons are at least heat 2 or 3, I've been farming the blood/diamonds/ambrosia from each heat level in preparation for tomorrows patch.

think my total runs is at about 80, only have i think 3 prophecies not completed (duo boon, artimes and...zeus i think are missing stuff). Maxed out all possible nectar/ambrosia interactions... love this game.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    My top hope is still boxing gloves

@Straightzi GOOD NEWS!

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I just got a notification in the announcement channel for the Hades discord, though the channel won't load at all for me. I assume patch is live?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I just got a notification in the announcement channel for the Hades discord, though the channel won't load at all for me. I assume patch is live?

Its not live until tomorrow, probably a preview

EDIT: Apparently it is live now. Woot! damnit im at work.

azith28 on
  • Options
    Highlights:

• Malphon, the Twin Fists: pummel your foes into the ground with this furious close-quarters weapon

• Mirror of Night Rework: now with twice the Talents, inviting more choices to fit your playstyle

• Aspect of Arthur: wield the might of Holy Excalibur with this legendary Aspect of the Stygian Blade

• Improved Visual Effects: we've made frenetic combat easier to parse without compromising the oomph

• New Pact of Punishment Conditions: see if you can survive Benefits Package and Routine Inspection

• Administrative Chamber: access your Permanent Record beyond a mysterious locked door in the House

• New House of Hades Events: the god of the dead's residence is livelier than ever

• Expanded Story: hours of added narrative featuring Nyx, Chaos, Artemis, Zeus, and more

• Options
    azith28 wrote: »
    Highlights:

• Malphon, the Twin Fists: pummel your foes into the ground with this furious close-quarters weapon

• Mirror of Night Rework: now with twice the Talents, inviting more choices to fit your playstyle

• Aspect of Arthur: wield the might of Holy Excalibur with this legendary Aspect of the Stygian Blade

• Improved Visual Effects: we've made frenetic combat easier to parse without compromising the oomph

• New Pact of Punishment Conditions: see if you can survive Benefits Package and Routine Inspection

• Administrative Chamber: access your Permanent Record beyond a mysterious locked door in the House

• New House of Hades Events: the god of the dead's residence is livelier than ever

• Expanded Story: hours of added narrative featuring Nyx, Chaos, Artemis, Zeus, and more

+ References to lava changed to magma (as is well known, magma is beneath the earth, lava is above it)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Malphon isn't a familiar Greek name or word, although it is composed of familiar roots. Mal refers to illness in Greek (as in a grand mal seizure), and phon refers to sound or speaker (as in telephone or countless other things). Disease sound or speaker of illness doesn't really make a whole lot of sense on its own, but maybe there's some context there.

Mal is also more familiar as a Latin root that runs through all the romance languages, where it just means bad (the Greek equivalent would be dys- or caco-), which might lead to some more logical translations. I mean, logical other than the fact that they're mixing Greek and Latin.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Ill... Sound?

Like sick beats

• Options
    Full patch notes. Finally getting that Duet!

https://www.supergiantgames.com/blog/hades-updates/

• Options
    edited March 2020
    I must suck at this game. While I've arrived at the final fight a couple of times (and been a sliver off), I'm on try sixty-something and still haven't escaped.

Nowhere NEAR the amount of blood needed to do anything other than a single upgrade per weapon.

I should just cave and look at specific build examples rather than do what feels right at the time.

EDIT: Also . . .

Quote of the Patch

'Nyx, whom the Romans called Nox, is a scarcely personified abstraction... Alone she spawned a large and generally unpleasant brood that included Moros (Doom), Thanatos (Death), Hypnos (Sleep), the Fates, and Nemesis.' ~Crowell's Handbook of Classical Mythology (E. Tripp)

The Judge on
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Every previous Supergiant game had twist of some kind, and after seeing one of previously added story events, I have a theory about what may happen when Hades is officially released.
    I think Nyx will turn out to be a villain and final boss. The only reason why I may suspect that is that she is very rude to Dusa (forbidding her to speak to Zagreus unless she is spoken first, to not forget that she is just a servant), and being rude to servants is one of the most popular was in storytelling to show that someone is up to no good.

• Options
    The Judge wrote: »
    I must suck at this game. While I've arrived at the final fight a couple of times (and been a sliver off), I'm on try sixty-something and still haven't escaped.

Nowhere NEAR the amount of blood needed to do anything other than a single upgrade per weapon.

I should just cave and look at specific build examples rather than do what feels right at the time.

Well, what gives you the most trouble? what weapons have you unlocked?

Maybe a Silly question but you know about the mirror right? The mirror in your room that you can use Darkness to boost your health and stuff? have you been maxing out all the bonuses? if your still failing with 3 death defiances, then you need to go for every centaur heart, maybe start working with the shield to get the bonus damage reduction. try to identify whats causing you the most damage. you should be dashing practically everywhere, + number of dashes(hermes) and the deflect on dash skill from athena are a heavily defensive combo.

Something i just learned also that i didnt really notice before. don't be afraid to grab a +damage on your atk or special early on even if its not the one you want, cause the gods will often offer a new equivilent boon to replace it, which will always be offered at the next higher rarity (and the same level if you already had poms invested in it).

• Options

Demeter actually mentions the sun god but refers to him as Helios. I think they are purposely mixing the greek and roman names just for variety, but i agree its odd that apollo isnt used cause artimes is used and they are twins.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Wow, 31 minutes 12 seconds. Scintillating Feast and Sea Storm plus Poseidon's Aid, Billowing Strength and more god gauge to top it off.

• Options

Every weapon unlocked. Been to Hades with four of them - think I'm missing the rail gun.

I know you can trade for Titan Blood, but the option never rolls in when I have the right material.

Mirror is maxed on everything that matters. Maybe I just need to take boss fights slower. Twice against Hades, I've had sliver-of-health-vs.-sliver-of-health and said fuck it and charged and got rocked.

• Options

Maybe a Silly question but you know about the mirror right? The mirror in your room that you can use Darkness to boost your health and stuff? have you been maxing out all the bonuses? if your still failing with 3 death defiances, then you need to go for every centaur heart, maybe start working with the shield to get the bonus damage reduction. try to identify whats causing you the most damage. you should be dashing practically everywhere, + number of dashes(hermes) and the deflect on dash skill from athena are a heavily defensive combo.

Something i just learned also that i didnt really notice before. don't be afraid to grab a +damage on your atk or special early on even if its not the one you want, cause the gods will often offer a new equivilent boon to replace it, which will always be offered at the next higher rarity (and the same level if you already had poms invested in it).

In addition to the above, it's hard to do specific builds due to the random nature but in general...
    For the most part work the magic mirror from top to bottom. The bottom 3 items are darkness sinks. The increased health, death defiance, and the one that gives bonus damage to enemies with 2 status effects are really good priorities.

Gods have an increased chance to show up as an option if you've already picked them. It's usually preferable to go deep into a couple gods over being broad.

%damage on slow strong attacks is good
    + static damage (like artemis' seeking shot) or stacking debuffs (hangover, doom with the stacking boon) on fast hitting weak attacks is good.

For most weapons I prefer to get deflect on the dash or regular attack as that's usually the fasted to pull out when i need it. Deflect is one of the few boons where sometimes I stop at 1 and just build towards another god.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Whoa Nyx got hot

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options

Demeter actually mentions the sun god but refers to him as Helios. I think they are purposely mixing the greek and roman names just for variety, but i agree its odd that apollo isnt used cause artimes is used and they are twins.

Helios is the Greek spelling, the Latin would be Helius. Helios is the primary sun god/titan of earlier Greek myth (where Apollo still has his independent associations with illness and archery and music) and they were only conflated later on. It's kind of a weird thing, where Helios wasn't that big a deal, but because Apollo was, when the two get conflated in later eras of Greek myth, it can confuse things a bunch.

But you have stuff like the story of Phaethon, who was the son of Helios and I don't think is ever the son of Apollo.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    31:42 with the twin fists. Damn they are good.

• Options
    didn't someone here call that it would be a boxing-esque weapon

• Options
    Huh I am...not pumped about the mirror changes. I can't see any I would rather do than the static set, except for maybe the fated persuasion. The Duo/legendary nerf is rough, but I don't want to trade off +20% for the boon choice to be epic.