As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars Thread] Solid... I’m going to say analysis?

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    If ever there was a franchise that relies on rule of cool its star wars. Like come on now.

True. But those bikes became uncool the moment the catapult feature was revealed. Bikes = cool. Bikes that flip forward so some guy can use his jetpack? Decidedly uncool.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Jetpacks always seemed pretty unstable and probably dangerous to use. Hence it only taking a blind Han Solo with a stick to make Boba die instantly.

/chokes on old canon
    Not my Star Wars!
    :twisted:

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    If ever there was a franchise that relies on rule of cool its star wars. Like come on now.

True. But those bikes became uncool the moment the catapult feature was revealed. Bikes = cool. Bikes that flip forward so some guy can use his jetpack? Decidedly uncool.

I disagree VIBRO BLADES AT DARKENED MANDO ENCLAVE!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

Catapults are cool.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Their purpose is to sell plastic garbage for adult children and children children to throw into the ocean

That's not how star wars toys work

All these dead sea turtles packed full of gonk droids and Lobots beg to differ

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Their purpose is to sell plastic garbage for adult children and children children to throw into the ocean

That's not how star wars toys work

All these dead sea turtles packed full of gonk droids and Lobots beg to differ

They're pulling plastic straws out of fishes, not IG-88s

But whatever floats your plastic island I guess

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    So not only did Star Wars kill our childhoods, but also the ocean?

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »

Catapults are cool.

Only if they're hurling giant rocks against a stone wall, or launching aircraft off a carrier.

I HAVE SPOKEN :P

• Options

Somehow it's JJ Abrams fault I'm sure

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular

Yet another thing I can blame on Rey!

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I blame Zoidberg.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    I blame Zoidberg.

we all blame zoidberg

• Options
    The best part of those bikes? Throwing your buddy without warning. Those things are perfect for dangerous shenanigans.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    The best part of those bikes? Throwing your buddy without warning. Those things are perfect for dangerous shenanigans.
    Perfect RPG fodder.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »

I watched this and became filled with the dispirited feeling that this could literally be exactly how episode 9 starts.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I’m going to be contrarian and say that I’m still excited to see the movie.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Wow. Something zany and nonsensical in a Star Wars movie. Because everything for the past 8 movies has been so grounded in reality—oh, wait, I mean the 3 movies we're allowed to like.
    How will we survive?

The clip does seem like a first act sequence. Almost a blend of the speeder chase in Ep 2 and the Jabba arc in ROTJ.

Mancingtom on
  • Options
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Wow. Something zany and nonsensical in a Star Wars movie. Because everything for the past 8 movies has been so grounded in reality—oh, wait, I mean the 3 movies we're allowed to like.
    How will we survive?

The clip does seem like a first act sequence. Almost a blend of the speeder chase in Ep 2 and the Jabba arc in ROTJ.

It has nothing to do with it being 'grounded in reality'. I mean, this is a saga about space wizards, so trying to dismiss people's criticism because of that is disingenuous at best.

The problem is that the scene is pretty bad in and of itself. A gimmick (catapult) to launch a gimmick (jetpack). The same line said three times in a row in a pretty bad attempt at humor.

You can have action mixed with humor that's both entertaining and heart pounding. Look no further than the Marvel films, most notably the Ant Man and Guardians of the Galaxy films. This? This isn't even close to being in that realm of quality, effects aside.

• Options
    We've already entered....

The Nit-Pick Quadrant

Strap in boys

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    How will we survive?

It has nothing to do with it being 'grounded in reality'. I mean, this is a saga about space wizards, so trying to dismiss people's criticism because of that is disingenuous at best.

The problem is that the scene is pretty bad in and of itself. A gimmick (catapult) to launch a gimmick (jetpack). The same line said three times in a row in a pretty bad attempt at humor.

You can have action mixed with humor that's both entertaining and heart pounding. Look no further than the Marvel films, most notably the Ant Man and Guardians of the Galaxy films. This? This isn't even close to being in that realm of quality, effects aside.

Wild, how'd you like the rest of the movie?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    The thing about Favreau is that for a guy who does m
    How will we survive?

Because that joke would be out of place in a marvel movie.
    Right

• Options
    How will we survive?

Are you actually trying to imply that someone can't have a negative opinion of a clip without seeing the entire film?

Let me be perfectly clear - Rise of Skywalker may be a great film. It may be utter shit. I, obviously, don't know. But that clip? Just judging it alone, it's shit. The clip, not necessarily the movie, again for clarity.
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Right

Marvel would do it better.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    That clip just feels like an extremely crass and not at all subtle introduction to another toy. Even by the standards of star wars.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    How will we survive?

Are you actually trying to imply that someone can't have a negative opinion of a clip without seeing the entire film?

Let me be perfectly clear - Rise of Skywalker may be a great film. It may be utter shit. I, obviously, don't know. But that clip? Just judging it alone, it's shit. The clip, not necessarily the movie, again for clarity.
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Right

Marvel would do it better.

Based on their track record, no they would not.

Marvel does a lot of things good. Very rarely do they do them better.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Star Wars has brought me so much joy and this thread is so consistently a thief of it.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    That clip was so bad I'm gonna order two of these and throw them both in the ocean!
    fy436m2p3rrt.jpg

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    That joke is fine, jeez. In a vacuum any of the jokes from Force Awakens would seem lame too. The "who talks first" thing would be absolutely dog piled on these days but it was a hell of fresh air seeing people act human and not like planks of wood after the PT dark days. Ya'll forget too quickly.

I have spoken etc.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    We've already entered....

The Nit-Pick Quadrant

Strap in boys

0b7e830c2021028c68837c657d5d279d.gif

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    Star Wars has brought me so much joy and this thread is so consistently a thief of it.

"And then the bear says to the man, you don't come here for the hunting, do you?"

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

"And then the bear says to the man, you don't come here for the hunting, do you?"

It feels more Sisyphean, but it's getting harder to make a compelling case against your assertion.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    That clip was so bad I'm gonna order two of these and throw them both in the ocean!
    fy436m2p3rrt.jpg

You should really buy a toy catapult to do it for you.

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    This ain't a nitpick and I like the sand speeder, but Star Wars technology seems to be regressing to the point where I can't wait to see when the empire invents the wheel.

• Options
    Cristoval wrote: »
    This ain't a nitpick and I like the sand speeder, but Star Wars technology seems to be regressing to the point where I can't wait to see when the empire invents the wheel.

I think that was General Grievous’s unicycle car.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I mean the idea of using using some sort of outside force to basically throw an aircraft into the sky isn't crazy. It's how we launch planes off aircraft carriers.

Having a bike that literally catapults stormtroopers into the air so they can jetpack to their target fucking rules.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    It’s the delivery of the dialogue that concerns me more than the dialogue. I love a lot of these actors, but the chemistry has rarely gotten over the hump of the writing for me.

And I’ve enjoyed basically every Disney-era Star Wars production, I just keep hoping to escape this ‘good enough’ feeling that’s permeated since TFA. Back when good enough felt legitimately great, coming off the prequels. But so little promise has been really paid off.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Three reasons you might want to catapult your jetpack-wearing buddy off your bike:
    1. Limited fuel. Throwing the jetpack dude forward gives them a little extra flight time.
    2. Backblast. Throwing them clear of anything that can be harmed by the exaust before igniting might be safer.
    3. The designer thought it looked bitchin' (this goes for both in- and out of universe explanation)

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    I mean, I can totally already see that catapult bike’s best/worst feature being used as a third-act payoff to missile a stormtrooper straight into the underside of an AT-AT equivalent by shooting the driver at just the right time during a pitched battle so he slumps on the controls and skids sideways.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    On might argue that extremely crass unsubtle toy introductions are the essence of Star Wars

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    On might argue that extremely crass unsubtle toy introductions are the essence of Star Wars

except that one time, like 40 years ago.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
This discussion has been closed.