As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Total War] "Peace!" "WAR!" "War and Peace." "JUST WAR." "The book, sister."

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Well. My Cao Cao campaign is insane. I'm just doing deals to the left and right, pitting all the other factions against each other so that they don't turn against me.
    I was quickly boxed in by Sun Jian, Yuan Shao, Yuan Shu and Liu Bei, but coalitioned up with Lieu Bei, managed to get Sun Jian trapped in a number of sticky trade&non-aggression pacts and kept him south of the Yangtze river, managed to get an alliance of Yuan Shu, Liu Bao, Dong Min (Dong Zhao died early) in a war of attrition against Yuan Shao (and his allies) so that I could take out Kong Rong and get into Yuan Shaos back and dismantle his empire while his armies were busy elsewhere.

I just became duke and in a few more turns I'll have Yuan Shao weakened to the point where I can mop him up and then deal with Yuan Shu and Dong Min, while hopefully keeping Sun Jians armies locked down. All of these factions have been stronger than me at the time I encountered them, but they've all just suffered from "unfortunate distractions&betrayals" so they were maximally disorganized at the moment my armies were in position to attack.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    My sun jian campaign was going great, but I'm so big now that the corruption is killing me. What is also killing me is that Ma Teng died (probably of old age) and his daughter immediately vassalized under yuan shao. So...I have Han Sui and one of the south west small powers as vassals. They are not helping me at all in the great war. Every other faction was vassalized under yuan shao, but Lieu Bei was ostrocized, so I took this opportunity to just start gifting him all the lands I'm taking away from Cao Cao (because this bastard is fielding so many armies at me that I'm wondering why he didn't get the 3rd emperorship).

Yuan Shao's capital is all the way north, like up in the damn boonies near where gunsun zan starts north. But the southern most lands are now under my control, and what's not is under Han ownership (something I'm 100% ok with considering I'm their overlord now).

Sun Jian had 3 more sons after Sun Ren. The three boys are a power team, with the baby commander wishing to get in on all the fun because Sun Quan and the two others are now a power team holding Chang'an.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I knew this was coming out, but I completely stopped following it (and playing a lot less on PC as well--right now, my only PC strategy title is probably Stellaris).

It's great to hear it's being well-received. God knows we've wanted a TOTAL WAR game set in China for a long time now, and they picked as good an era as any. Even the Achievement Hunter guys got in on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQgSTqxkS4U

(Warning: Do NOT watch if you don't want to see people who have no idea what they're doing.)

I didn't pre-order, unlike with Shogun 2, but it sounds excellent enough to be a purchase once I get home from work.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I wish you could rename characters like you could in previous titles. I've got a spy embedded with Dong Min that I really want to rename to Pi Pi Max

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Someone was kind enough to let me know in the last thread that reading pins about Chinese names is pretty hurtful if you have a Chinese name.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    This hasn't happened in a LONG time, but I woke up late Monday after Memorial Day shennanigans and didn't get to sleep until 2AM. My Cao Cao campaign had just gone into overdrive with my mechanations blowing up as the proxy wars I had started eventually scooped me up. The north is a hot mess, but somehow the coalition of Cao Cao and Liu Bei and the Bandit Queen had kept my lands secured while I did work in the south. Eventually Yuan Shu accepted admission into our coalition and now we've got The Alliance of the Darkening Waters on the run (Yuan Shao has peaced out of the alliance leaving only Zhang Ya and Liu Yao).

One funny thing that kept happening: as I was marching South, ready to claim capitals, the AI got all vassaled up with Yuan Shao (who I was in a VERY lucrative trade agreement with) and kept c-blocking me.

Another thing, the AI LOVES these ancillaries. They are almost always willing to part with territory for them. Half of the commanderies I managed to secure were through simple trade-ups.

One final thing I've noticed, is that it pays to read up on the warlords and their attitudes in game: game suggested that folks like Liu Bei will NEVER break an alliance they are in, which makes expanding with them at your back a safe bet in the early going. Others wont join an alliance but will make one and invite others in (though there has to be a limit to this as Yuan Shu, who has the Emperor at this point, did eventually accept the invite into the Anti-Barbarians crew). Still it's helpful in the early-going to see the temperaments of the people around you).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    I keep getting armors for commanders and it's....trying. I don't particularly like using them, but if I have them lying around might as well.

Lady Sun has a trait that gives -5% corruption if she's a factions leader/heir/prime minister, So Sun Jian put her in charge of the books. She has the equipment/raiment from a set that gives an additional 10 satisfaction to all characters.

No one has ever threatened to leave the company of Sun Jian.

Swap the armor for good shit with other factions

edited May 2019
    Tube wrote: »
    Swap the armor for good shit with other factions

I have when it would allow me to; doesn't seem like you are able to negotiate with other faction's vassals you are at war with (even if "you support their independence" like I have with Cao Cao & Ma Teng); I have to attain peace with Yuan Shao if I want to do that, and the bastard wanted 50k payment with a 4k per 10 turns for that.

some disappointing/surprising results in my campaign.

Yuan Shu has been dead for a long time. Liu Biao finally kicked the bucket, but Huang stayed with the Han Dynasty. Zhao Yun disappeared; no idea where he went.

Huang Gai, the starting champion of Sun Jian, finally died of old age; he was in his late 80's. Good Chap.

Guan Yu and Zhang Fei are dead :(. Ma Chao was captured by Dong Min and is still around in Lu Bu's faction (he is unreliable AF by the way). Ma Teng died of old age, and some sort of adopted daughter of his has taken command (I wish we could see the family tree of other characters/factions) I do mean this; I recruited a beautiful legendary Sentinel for the sole purpose of finally getting Sun Ce married, only to find that she is somehow related to the Sun Family (the game refuses to let you marry characters who are distantly related, or immediately related; not that needs to be a thing). Her name is Dong Li, and she came to me from Dong Min's faction pretty early after Dong Zhuo's death.

Xaihou Yuan was captured and used in Yuan Shu's forces; I suspect he was executed in the final last stand of Yuan Shu; was in coalition with him for a long time for the sole purpose that he was the only one who wanted me in. He eventually got himself vassalized under Dong Min, whom I refused to work for the sole reason that I still wanted to gobble up Han Empire in the south. His brother Xaihou Dun is still alive under Cao Cao and has both eyes.

Cao Pi looks to have been married into Yuan Shao's family, because he's faction heir now. He is being overtly aggressive around Chang'Sha and he's going to force me to execute him if he keeps this up. It would have been nice to try and have Cao Cao willing to fight along with me, but it's clear that he's sided with his rival over me. Unfortunately I had to fight off Lady Bian's force so many times that she died in battle; I doubt Cao Cao will see the error of his ways now.

Kong Rong passed of old age too, but never had children; a young female strategist has inherited the faction.

Taishi Ci disappeared; he was with Han but has been not been seen in a long time; the character tracker does not bring him up with a search function.

Gan Ning is a spy, and has been running around with many factions for most of the game. But he finally left Yuan Shao & Dong Min because of his hatred of them and came to my doorstep. He is a total badass of a vanguard and is just about as good as Sun Ce. I've used him to take all the south lands, and he did it mostly on his own with merc's.
    Zhou Tai enters your recruitment pool relatively early, and I made sure to grab him while he was there. Used him for assignments and now finally fighting off all the random bugger vassals that keep sailing down river to steal provinces in the south.

Gunsun Zan is still around. He may very will have decent relations with me under the surface; I let him live from a high pitched battle.

EDIT: Sima Yi entered the world but who the hell knows where he's at; and Zhuge Liang joined Han Sui's faction (for some reason), but the good chap Sui died of old age and his son took over.

Kruite on
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    I have been trying but I can't quite get Zheng Jiang to work out. I really want to conquer as the bandit queen and extract tribute from people but I can't seem to keep from having either Yuan Shao or Dong Min just eat my lunch before I'm big enough to deal with them. Dong Min has Lu Bu cross a damn river to hunt me down and break all my stuff.

I'm typically friending up the other bandit dude because I would rather have my back guarded.

Maybe I just need to take him out and dare someone to come into the mountains after me.

I also have a fairly stable game of the yellow turbans as He Yi where I have all the commanderies between Sun Jian and Cao Cao. Sun Jian just declared war on me, which is fine because I have like 3 full stacks bouncing around ready to fight him.

The Yellow Turbans are fun and being able to occupy and tend to the wounded is great.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    This hasn't happened in a LONG time, but I woke up late Monday after Memorial Day shennanigans and didn't get to sleep until 2AM. My Cao Cao campaign had just gone into overdrive with my mechanations blowing up as the proxy wars I had started eventually scooped me up. The north is a hot mess, but somehow the coalition of Cao Cao and Liu Bei and the Bandit Queen had kept my lands secured while I did work in the south. Eventually Yuan Shu accepted admission into our coalition and now we've got The Alliance of the Darkening Waters on the run (Yuan Shao has peaced out of the alliance leaving only Zhang Ya and Liu Yao).

One funny thing that kept happening: as I was marching South, ready to claim capitals, the AI got all vassaled up with Yuan Shao (who I was in a VERY lucrative trade agreement with) and kept c-blocking me.

Another thing, the AI LOVES these ancillaries. They are almost always willing to part with territory for them. Half of the commanderies I managed to secure were through simple trade-ups.

One final thing I've noticed, is that it pays to read up on the warlords and their attitudes in game: game suggested that folks like Liu Bei will NEVER break an alliance they are in, which makes expanding with them at your back a safe bet in the early going. Others wont join an alliance but will make one and invite others in (though there has to be a limit to this as Yuan Shu, who has the Emperor at this point, did eventually accept the invite into the Anti-Barbarians crew). Still it's helpful in the early-going to see the temperaments of the people around you).

haha, yeah, like I mentioned earlier, someone literally gave me Lu Bu for a set of ancillaries that I had duplicates of or didn't need. was just like "Mmmm tough deal but you win, okay, I'll take him." I think the AI is probably programmed to value them a little too much and it'll likely be brought down some. still great right now though.

Are you the magic man?
    edited May 2019
    Another mistake I made was thinking I couldn’t annex something if it had an army in it. You can fully annex that shit, they will kick those crackers out on their ass.

don't make the mistake of thinking you're going to eventually get a dragon, either, because I put that tip in the OP just for you.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Has anyone had this track in game? I think they removed it which sucks because its good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7XXwKtO2h4

• Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    haha, yeah, like I mentioned earlier, someone literally gave me Lu Bu for a set of ancillaries that I had duplicates of or didn't need. was just like "Mmmm tough deal but you win, okay, I'll take him." I think the AI is probably programmed to value them a little too much and it'll likely be brought down some. still great right now though.

on the other hand, some lord marrying off his daughter for a sick pair of thoroughbred horses feels kind of authentic

I married Liu Bei off as quickly as I could to see if it changed anything.

edited May 2019
    Frei wrote: »

on the other hand, some lord marrying off his daughter for a sick pair of thoroughbred horses feels kind of authentic

It does, totally, and maybe this has been my experience but all they've ever wanted from me is my various little statues. Some legendary weapons for a daughter? Sure. A champion stallion? Absolutely. You want my clay pig? Wait, what? Alright.

and, I mean, that got me more than a daughter, it got me Lu Bu. It was from a floundering faction so I guess maybe they thought those items would decrease some deficit they were having, but... well.

on a side note I have just set myself up as the food Queen, basically. I've put a little extra into making sure I have a lot of food, and so every little kingdom, and even sometimes the big ones, end up paying a lot for just a little bit of my food per turn. it's such a dick move to do, but it's so fun.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I have been trying but I can't quite get Zheng Jiang to work out. I really want to conquer as the bandit queen and extract tribute from people but I can't seem to keep from having either Yuan Shao or Dong Min just eat my lunch before I'm big enough to deal with them. Dong Min has Lu Bu cross a damn river to hunt me down and break all my stuff.

I'm typically friending up the other bandit dude because I would rather have my back guarded.

Maybe I just need to take him out and dare someone to come into the mountains after me.

I also have a fairly stable game of the yellow turbans as He Yi where I have all the commanderies between Sun Jian and Cao Cao. Sun Jian just declared war on me, which is fine because I have like 3 full stacks bouncing around ready to fight him.

The Yellow Turbans are fun and being able to occupy and tend to the wounded is great.

When you're surrounded like that without the funds to fight on two fronts, you just have to commit fully to securing one of your flanks and delay the attacker on your rear (play every settlement battle with towers, they're super deadly like usual) until you can turn around. Trying to march one army to fight on two fronts will mean you make no progress on either front.

Don't be afraid to trade provinces you cannot hold for a peace and non-aggression pact that will buy you time and secure a flank so you can focus on invading the other. I take Han Empire settlements on one side of my territory only to trade them for a non-aggression pact so I can go and kill a major rival without worrying about my rear.

Yuan Shao isn't hard to beat since he doesn't have an incredible commander like Dong Zhuo's Lu Bu, but right behind him is Gongsun Zan with Zhao Yun, who is fucking invincible and deadly, while Lu Bu is just deadly, and Gongsun Zan is no slouch either.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    They need a "dynasty" language option for the spoken lines where all of them were recorded by former Dynasty Warriors voice actors. If nothing else I want them to start calling my son Cow Pee.

I have one province with a cattle ranch and a rice patty field that is producing about 50 food. Max peasant/food production is crazzzy.

I had one mine defense battle with only the garrison (which is an awesome garrison with mid tier swords and melee cav) against Lu Bu where I killed his entire army but Lu Bu and his other general still beat me.

It was ok though, that meant Lu Bu was stuck for 3 turns mustering his army back to full strength, giving me time to respond.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • SproutSprout Registered User regular
    I captured the Han emperor from Dong Min. After the entire rest of the factions jumped me, I don't think I'll be making that mistake again.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    PSA:

When seiging and starving your enemies out, don't forget your army can starve too D:

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Apparently unpopular opinion: the minimalist watercolor unit cards are far superior to the bland 3d rendered ones.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Tried Gong Du, I think I like em/the turban DLC. Going to try to move south away from Ma Teng and company and settle down.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Mother F....whenever you think you have a handle on things in 3K...you don't. Yuan Shu managed to vassalize Dong Min, and without Dong Min the Yuan Shu/Liu Bao alliance collapsed and became Yuan Shao vassals. I mean, Yuan Shao has like 3 commanderies left, but he also has like a dozen vassals... So whenever I think I can get in there and take out Yuan Shao some vassal army comes around and blocks me. At least Sun Jian (or Duchy of Wu as he calls himself now) has been triggered into attacking Yuan Shao, but he's bogged down with enemy vassals as well. On the upside Liu Bei (now the Duchy of Han-Shu) is pushing across the yellow river and is holding several strong cities on the other bank (so he's running interference against Dong Min and Yuan Shaos western vassals).

Right now I have two armies holding the front against Yuan Shu and Liu Bao, while I have three armies attacking Yuan Shao and his vassal Han Fu, with Gonsun Zan is kept passive so far. I don't think that Yuan Shao has enough leverage to force him to fight me.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    One of the subtle little things I really like is how the loading screens will give you little "the story so far" messages based on stuff that's happening or just happened in your game. Like if you recently had a birth, the loading screen will mention that, or like with this one, I had a siege going at the time

4lzrypir81km.jpg

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    So is there actually a way to trade officers? It'd sure make getting the 5 tiger generals easier.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am kicking ass in my new game I have this game figured out now it’s very good.

• UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKpCmqtZ_jQ
    I see, this is how I'm supposed to be playing

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    I would like to see the ability to have your spies defect mid battle and really turn things upside down.

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
    I have not found spies very useful

I have yet to have a spy be hired. They leave for a few turns and always come back.

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    I can appreciate that the campaign layer is a ton more interesting but IMO the battles have been an understandable step back from TWW. Part of that is unit diversity (no flyers, no monsters, guns & artillery), part of that is lesser availability of spells, and I'm sure another part is just spamming militia to victory for too long.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Cantido wrote: »

I have yet to have a spy be hired. They leave for a few turns and always come back.

Even if they don't get hired, they scout the locations for you.

If they do get hired, they can do some neat things with trade routes and satisfaction to start with. Not to mention constant up to date information on all of their stats (Under the spy page it'll show all of their income, items, generals, you name it)

If they become a general, they can wipe out a full stack when you go to war with that person.

You can steal territories if they are an administrator

I haven't gotten anyone up into the ruling family yet. That ones hard. Hopefully it lets you just take out the faction leader and annex them

Moridin889 on
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    I just wanted to discredit my boy Zilong so he'd leave Gongsun Zan's service since whatever event there is supposed to be never triggered.

That's a nope...

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    If a spy becomes an administrator you can have them just give you the region

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

They definitely take too long to become useful, such that when they finally have access to all the really neat stuff they can do, you’ve probably completely forgotten about them

The espionage stuff is dope but its just such an investment in time and attention

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    I just wanted to discredit my boy Zilong so he'd leave Gongsun Zan's service since whatever event there is supposed to be never triggered.

That's a nope...

I was wondering about this as I never got him in my Liu Bei game until Gongsun Zan conceded emperorship and I got him through confederation. As it turns out, the event to get him is triggered by fighting Yuan Shao's forces in battle as Liu Bei, which makes sense I guess. Still don't know if there's still an element of random chance to it, even then.

What I want to know is what triggers getting Dian Wei, Xu Chu/Zhu and Yue Jin as Cao Cao. As of right now, it seems somewhat random. Sometimes they show up, sometimes they just don't. I've played the start of two different Cao Cao campaigns and only gotten Dian Wei, and even then it seemed out of nowhere.

Supposedly Cao Cao can get Guan Yu too, by winning a battle with both Guan Yu and Zhang Liao present. This, again, makes sense, but it is so unlikely to have the right pieces in the right places that it'll be extremely difficult to emulate.

Which weirdly reminds me of a slight gripe I have with the political map of the game after Dong Zhuo is assassinated and that is - why is Dong Min always in charge, and still so powerful to boot? He should be the least likely person to maintain control over there. He even typically has Lu Bu as his heir! He murdered your brother dude!

The order of events is - Dong Zhuo is Assassinated by Lu Bu/Wang Yun -> Wang Yun orders the Dong family executed -> Wang Yun attempts to order Dong Zhuos chief officers executed too -> Li Jue and Guo Si, two such officers, at the head of the remnant of Dong Zhuos Xiliang forces, figure if they're gonna die anyway they may as well just attack Chang'An -> This actually works -> Wang Yun is killed -> Lu Bu, Zhang Liao, Chen Gong and pretty much anyone else caught on the wrong side of this is forced to flee and begin wandering the land -> The Emperor eventually flees and winds up in the hands of Cao Cao.

Obviously there's a few dicerolls you can throw in there for that truly sandbox experience, but in my mind, the Civil War event needs a bit more oomph to it. Dong Min should be a leader far less, and Lu Bu, Zhang Liao et al. should be sent packing much more often. Li Jue and Guo Si should see some success, rather than just immediately going back to the recruitment pool, which I have seen every game so far. The Dong faction should go from the most powerful region of the map to the weakest/most chaotic for the midgame (assuming it is the AI and not the player). I'd even argue for an event where, if the dong faction is sufficiently weakened, the Emperor will move and a warlord with bordering territory (of say, Marquis rank or higher) will get an event to either receive him or turn him away, choosing the former giving you a diplomatic penalty with anyone else who might have been eligible.

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
    The game recently recommended I turn the campaign difficulty down to easy :(

edited May 2019
    I tried out getting the Emperor, and it is a total drawback instead of a bonus. Annexing Han Empire territory for 2000 (minor)/5000 (major) gold is bad, since attacking a settlement will give you like 500/1000 gold for winning the battle, and you have to protect the Han Empire from everyone that wants to attack it.

The only good thing is that if you're strong enough you scare off everyone else from wanting to munch on the Han Empire, but you're in a winning position already.

Jephery on
    }
This discussion has been closed.