As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Total War] "Peace!" "WAR!" "War and Peace." "JUST WAR." "The book, sister."

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Steam page for the FLC lord Imrik is up:
    the Eye of the Vortex campaign, he leads the faction of the Knights of Caledor from their base at Ka-Sabar in the Shifting Sands area. In Mortal Empires he’ll start at the Fortress of Vorag in the Plain of Bones.

Throughout the course of his campaign, Imrik will discover the locations of unique Dragons, and will have the opportunity to tame them in battle. Should he do so, they will join his cause and fight alongside him in future battles

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Man, they've went all out for both of the High Elf FLC Lords. So far it's also looking like this is the Lord Pack where both sides are being done very well. I'm having trouble figuring out which campaign I'll go for first.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    I really wish this opened up today or had a beta I could opt into for this weekend. Have some time this weekend that I normally wouldn't have to play. Gah

I am trying to negotiate some rights from SEGA for work, maybe I can throw in an early access code as part of the deal. Hmmmmmm

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Watching some streams it seems like Grom doesn't start on Ulthuan when you start as Eltharion in ME. He's in Misty Mountains in ME. Haven't seen his Vortex start yet.

Not sure if this means they moved him just for Eltharion or they just moved him when he's AI controlled.

danx on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    It's been a couple of years since I've played, so I started a new Dwarf campaign in Karaz.

After getting backdoored by two full stacks of Greenskins on turn 14, I'm scared to see how they're going to look post-patch.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Dwarfs are super hard right now. Greenskins are super strong, outscale you, and if you attempt to hole up in the mountains then you're highly likely to make an enemy of the Vampires who are another pain to deal with.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Baiting the orcs by hiding in ambush stance next to a minor settlement while building up might help a little. The green skins love to split up and underway a stack right on top of minor settlements there if they appear undefended. If it works it'll only slow them down a little but that might be enough to get to artillery and walls.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    The dwarves biggest issue is their main mountain city with the special capital garrison has no threat radius. Cant really use it easily without being stuck in the capital as well.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Well... If you ambush on that point then your threat radius is extended by your ambush radius. Its a quite good tactic, especially if there are trees and other hidden areas around. The downside is that if they have >1 army they can siege and then attack you since you are split. Edit: It also works much better the smaller your settlement and larger your army since you need an enticement to get them to walk into your ambush

The main thing about the dwarves is that you should be concentrating on sacking and generally not attempting to hold any ground until you slowly creep your built up areas out. You can "take" land" but don't defend anything but the main area. You can loot and occupy but only on the closest one or two settlements since when it fails it will make a grudge requiring you to retake it. (which is not an issue but if you have too many of these it can build up)

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Yes but if you set up ambush in the starting area, the orcs are not going to be able to isolate you from the settlement because they will most likely be tunneling in. It is best to try and not let those neighboring dwarf clan with the port fall, otherwise you will have an open route to your capital.

Second, the border princes love taking that territory and damn them; that is Dawi land and you need that port access more than they do.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Looks like the new Three Kingdoms patch is in beta

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Looks like the new Three Kingdoms patch is in beta

Yeah looks like they are trying to clean up most of the remaining bugs and annoyances from a world betrayed in this one.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Whoever was watching me play Tyrion last night, I apologize. That was terrible.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Also, this is super embarrassing, but I figured out that all the stat bonuses in the tree are not applied to the mount stats in the tree, which is why I was always hestitant to take them.

Basically, I am an idiot, and now see why I should be taking mounts.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Mounts are always good.

Except when you forget to remove them for sieges and your lord has to wait outside like a chump while your troops storm the walls.

Edit- I'll usually not take a mount if there's a later option of a better mount. No point wasting a point on a horse when I will get a dragon later. It sucks having a foot lord for a while though.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    Would be nice if they'd rethink mounts a bit. As you say, there isn't any point in getting any more than one of them. Occasionally I'll do something other than the absolute best mount (and there is invariably a 'best' mount in nearly all cases) on some of the lords or heroes but spending more than one point on it is a waste.

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    I think that getting a horse as soon as possible is important because otherwise Lords on foot get knocked around a lot and are too slow to chase or move around the battlefield. I do frequently skip some inbetween mounts depending on the Lord though. I especially hate chariots because I don't like micromanaging them.

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Honestly I spend most of my lord's early points on blue and red lines because I think those are the biggest force multipliers.

By the time they actually unlock a good mount I'm ready to start developing their beat stick ability.

So I don't mind if they get slapped around on foot for a while because they're already not focusing on combat for the first 20 levels or so.

• Options
    Unless my lord has a dragon I tend to just use them for their abilities or chasing down fleeing enemy lords anyway.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Getting casters into the air ASAP is always worthwhile IMO, so sometimes I'll take a weaker mount early on if it gets me there. But in general, it's often not worth the skill point to get a horse or something when you're only a dozen or so levels from a dragon, or gryphon, or whatever.

I do wish that Arch Lectors got a gryphon or something though. Kinda lame that a barded horse is the best they can do.

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    I happen to like beatstick lords and personally smacking down enemy lords and heroes. :mrgreen:

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Getting your caster mobile is good, but sometimes when you get your caster airborne it's just free lunch for a bunch of ripperdactyls. If you put something in the air you better make sure that your opponent can't just hunt him down with an airborne hitsquad.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Pegasus are better than gryphon anyway

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    They have different purposes.

And yes, an airborne caster is good, but you need to be very careful if the AI has airborne units too as they will mob flying units first. You can either solve this by getting a lord or combat hero airborne to assist them, or just keeping them a little further back until the AI fliers have engaged. Pegasi are obviously good for this reason because they have high speed, so you can disengage easily if you don't get surrounded.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Patch notes out!

Some interesting things on the east end of the map. Looks like there are 4 new minor skaven factions (one in grey mountains, one in zufbar, one in badlands, and one near mordheim if I am reading correctly). Also strgoi now start in the badlands where they should and have switched places with top knots.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
  • Options
    So much good stuff in this patch. Small thing I noticed that could be really good for factions that can get it. Previously it was home territory only.
    The Cunning trait now also grants its ambush success bonus in enemy territories

*Laughs in Skaven.*

I need this DLC and patch now. Really want to play but won't finish a campaign in time now. :bigfrown:

• Options
    This was listed as a minor change to Ungrim:
    Ungrim no longer grants +30% casualty replenishment for slayers in his army, this has been replaced by a unique passive “Journey’s End” which prevents slayers from dying until they lose at least 50% of their HP

Oh boy oh boy.

• Options
    If that works the way it reads it should mean that as long as the slayers take less than 50% card damage they're guaranteed to heal to full after the battle because of how post battle healing works for non single entity units (like heroes and lords). It's usually more noticeable on low count units like doom flayers than high count units like infantry because infantry entities have a lot less health each and die more often which is reflected on the health bars on the campaign map.

It's just for Ungrims army though.

I have soured a bit on the lords providing effects to their army and kinda wish they'd spread a bit more of their stuff to their faction only when you start as them to make them feel more distinct (limiting it to starts to prevent getting absurd buffs by confederating. Confeded LL shouldn't get it). Some lords do this a bit though a lot of them are just X but cheaper for the faction for anyone but the lords army where they get buffed.

Eltharion might have this issue with mistwalker units. Some of them look good in his army but in normal lords armies they don't seem that good relative to what high elfs can already get and for the investment you have to make. They have caps from building chains while other high elfs units have no caps from chains other than heroes. Eltharion can get enough for himself from just building up Tor Yresse and from skills and build slots are precious.

They put some buffs for MW units into his campaign mechanic which might help. Waiting to see what it's like on live of course. They were still tweaking stuff and it is hard to tell when others are playing.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    24 hours left until Elf-batman faces off against Immortan Grom...while a significant number of people will instead go off and play How To Train Your Dragon with Imrik.

ARE YOU HYPED?

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Here's a very quiet change that's excellent for Greenskin tempo:
    Raiding Camp stance no longer requires movement points to enter.

Also one that may influence how you build armies slightly:
    Contact effects and friendly fire

Stop me if you’ve heard this one before… You’ve recruited a fresh-faced group of Chameleon Skinks to support your Saurus push. The lines clash and the Skinks start volleying the enemy, then you realise you’ve poisoned your own troops… again!

Poison and other contact effects on ranged weapons have long been a double-edged sword. Friendly fire meant you could poison your own troops just as readily as the enemy’s, leaving you with a zero-sum result. With this update friendly fire will still cause damage, but will never inflict debilitating contact effects on your own units. This also applies to vortices, bombardments and other sources of friendly fire debilitation… all except for Poisoned Wind. Because Skaven!

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    24 hours left until Elf-batman faces off against Immortan Grom...while a significant number of people will instead go off and play How To Train Your Dragon with Imrik.

ARE YOU HYPED?

tjeycd01auhy.jpg

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    As someone playing an empire campaign, I'm really looking forward to the changes to that bloody statue map. You really do notice the long load time when it's every other map. I'm getting ever more tempted to pick up the mod that removes it entirely.

Map variety is something I really hope they improve for WH3. I'd take the old style "auto generated based on terrain" method from earlier titles, even if it did occasionally generate bizarre maps, over playing the same handful of maps with the same AI starting positions 80+% of the time. I swear I got the same ambush map in lustria in practically every battle when doing an Ikit Claw vortex campaign for example.

• Options
    Skaven osmosis corruption is driving me up a wall. I've been picking at my Thorgrim campaign off and on and after expanding south into Grimgor's territory I've been finding that Skaven corruption is everywhere. My dwarfs have it, all the other nearby dwarfs have it, the Bloody Spearz have it, Grimgor has it, the vampires have it, and for the life of me I cannot figure out where these Skaven are hiding that's spreading it so much. I'm guessing it's either in another dwarf clan or Grimgor's provice, but it's driving me nuts.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    While we're posting memes, here's mine:
    totalwar.png

• Options
    korodullin wrote: »
    Skaven osmosis corruption is driving me up a wall. I've been picking at my Thorgrim campaign off and on and after expanding south into Grimgor's territory I've been finding that Skaven corruption is everywhere. My dwarfs have it, all the other nearby dwarfs have it, the Bloody Spearz have it, Grimgor has it, the vampires have it, and for the life of me I cannot figure out where these Skaven are hiding that's spreading it so much. I'm guessing it's either in another dwarf clan or Grimgor's provice, but it's driving me nuts.
    Grab 4 heroes. Walk them together into each region all as a group, and let them end turn there. AI Skaven usually build their Undercities to ~60 detection, so you should find them without too much trouble.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    korodullin wrote: »
    Grab 4 heroes. Walk them together into each region all as a group, and let them end turn there. AI Skaven usually build their Undercities to ~60 detection, so you should find them without too much trouble.

This is definitely the issue if the corruption is only like 10% or so. I've never seen a Skaven Undercity that was able to push corruption higher than that though. I think each building is like 1/2 a point?

• Options
    There are random under cities spawned at the start of the game in addition to any the AI make so there's a chance there's just a bunch down there somewhere given 2 skaven clans are nearby. Clan Mors also has one under K8P and Altdorf has a good chance of having one from Moulder but it's not guaranteed.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Yeah this Skaven corruption has been building since turn 1. It's turn 56 now, and after a slew of peace treaties I finally managed to get a breather after being constantly assaulted in The Silver Road by Black Crag (who confederated the Bloody Spearz), the Bloody Handz, Von Carstein, and Sylvania, so I can actually afford to roll with a group of heroes to sniff out Skaven undercities.

Edit: Ha ha nevermind. Black Crag confederated all of the rest of the surviving Greenskin factions and promptly sent a half dozen stacks of troops into my three provinces from two directions. I could probably salvage this, but I think this is pretty much game over for this campaign.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    The AI will sometimes build the 5-10% chance of expansion building in their undercities, so they can get quite a few of them. As each undercity can give +1 Skaven corruption (0.25 per building) to adjacent provinces, you will sometimes see (thanks to Clan Mors usually) very high Skaven corruption in the Badlands if they have multiple undercities.

This discussion has been closed.