[Total War] Grim Eltharion defends his use of torture in his hidden cells.

• Silas BrownSilas Brown Registered User regular
    edited June 29
    I'm honestly thinking of going down to Easy/Easy. I got totally demolished in a way that makes me think I made my mistakes hours before I realized I was losing. I'm not sure if this game has an immense learning curve or if I'm just really not suited for strategy combat.

edit: One thing I'm unclear on is if my preference for sieging is holding me back. I've opted to siege each opposing settlement I want to occupy or raze up until I have an overwhelming advantage. However, I observed that other warring factions were trading settlements at a brisk pace. I wonder if I should be going in just long enough to build a couple of siege weapons and then go to town. I really could use some monsters too, I'm sure.

Silas Brown on
  • danxdanx Registered User regular
    If you're waiting out the siege timer or sieging for more than a few turns that will kill your speed. It'll take a while to learn what size of force you can comfortably take. It's always worth saving before giving it a shot. You'll be surprised at what you can take on. In the early game there are a few hard garrisons in the game but it's only a handful like the Awakening.

What faction are you playing?

• Silas BrownSilas Brown Registered User regular
    danx wrote: »
    If you're waiting out the siege timer or sieging for more than a few turns that will kill your speed. It'll take a while to learn what size of force you can comfortably take. It's always worth saving before giving it a shot. You'll be surprised at what you can take on. In the early game there are a few hard garrisons in the game but it's only a handful like the Awakening.

Right on. On this next attempt, I'm going to try to do more battles and definitely less siegeing.

To answer your question, I'm playing High Elves.

Oh, so I was still getting very useful information from the random advice-giving human. Am I going to lose that if I start another campaign without getting the introductory start? Does that cut out more than like the first two battles?

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Invictus wrote: »
    I have never played a total war game, but I played a ton of classic RTS (starcraft/warcraft mostly). I appreciate that won't help me much, though I've also played a ton of 4X games, which might?

Regardless, I'm downloading TW: Warhammer I and II and the big DLC for them (not all the DLC). What should I know going in? Places online to look? What faction should I play first? Can I plausibly stumble myself through things, knowing I might lose and have to restart?
    @Invictus Empire (Karl Franz) is probably the easier/best start since it introduces you do a lot of different mechanics. After that probably greenskins.

Melee to-hit is 40+attack-defense. IF and only if an actual units attack animation finishes close enough to an actual unit.

Armor Damage Reduction is x% where x is a random value between 50% and 100% of the units armor. This applies only against regular damage. But does apply to magic typed damage and fire typed damage

Ranged to-hit is "if an actual projectile hits an actual unit". Non-artillery attacks have a % chance to be ignored entirely based on the quality of the units shield IF and only if that unit is hit from the front. Many artillery pierces and so does damage to every unit it hits. Different ranged/artillery weapons have different projectile trajectory. Which matter a lot.

Charge bonus gives +melee attack and +damage(at the same ratio of AP/Regular as the unit normally has) for about 13 seconds decreasing linearly.

+vs large or +vs infantry adds melee attack and damage against "infantry" and "literally everything else"

Units that are fatigued have lower armor, MD, and MA. Units attacked in the side or rear have lower MD.

Some unit types have splash damage(most heroes/monsters). Melee splash damage SPLITs damage between anything hit. "Explosion damage" from spells/artillery deals damage to every unit hit(decreasing from the center)\

As a result the basic combat structure is "A line that does not die" and then ranged/melee units of various sorts to kill things.
    I'm honestly thinking of going down to Easy/Easy. I got totally demolished in a way that makes me think I made my mistakes hours before I realized I was losing. I'm not sure if this game has an immense learning curve or if I'm just really not suited for strategy combat.

edit: One thing I'm unclear on is if my preference for sieging is holding me back. I've opted to siege each opposing settlement I want to occupy or raze up until I have an overwhelming advantage. However, I observed that other warring factions were trading settlements at a brisk pace. I wonder if I should be going in just long enough to build a couple of siege weapons and then go to town. I really could use some monsters too, I'm sure.

sieging is holding you back. In general the purpose of a siege is to give a defending army enough time to mount a defense. Its not always a bad idea but its not usually efficient compared to taking losses attacking a place. Building enough siege to attack and go to town will be a lot better.

wbBv3fj.png
    KarozElvenshae
    Warhammer has particularly high upkeep/recruit cost ratios. Usually around 1/4 before any bonuses/penalties. What this means is that, in general, an army that does nothing for 4 turns has been wasted. You could have di a red and re-recruiter when you needed to do something.

There are plenty of reasons why this is not the case when doing nothing(providing vision/blocking has value even if you’re not fighting) but its still a good rubric for your armies. A 4 turn siege is a long time to wait. You could have attacked, lost the entire army, and recruited a new one by that time

wbBv3fj.png
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Invictus wrote: »
    I have never played a total war game, but I played a ton of classic RTS (starcraft/warcraft mostly). I appreciate that won't help me much, though I've also played a ton of 4X games, which might?

Regardless, I'm downloading TW: Warhammer I and II and the big DLC for them (not all the DLC). What should I know going in? Places online to look? What faction should I play first? Can I plausibly stumble myself through things, knowing I might lose and have to restart?
    @Invictus Empire (Karl Franz) is probably the easier/best start since it introduces you do a lot of different mechanics. After that probably greenskins.

Melee to-hit is 40+attack-defense. IF and only if an actual units attack animation finishes close enough to an actual unit.

Armor Damage Reduction is x% where x is a random value between 50% and 100% of the units armor. This applies only against regular damage. But does apply to magic typed damage and fire typed damage

Ranged to-hit is "if an actual projectile hits an actual unit". Non-artillery attacks have a % chance to be ignored entirely based on the quality of the units shield IF and only if that unit is hit from the front. Many artillery pierces and so does damage to every unit it hits. Different ranged/artillery weapons have different projectile trajectory. Which matter a lot.

Charge bonus gives +melee attack and +damage(at the same ratio of AP/Regular as the unit normally has) for about 13 seconds decreasing linearly.

+vs large or +vs infantry adds melee attack and damage against "infantry" and "literally everything else"

Units that are fatigued have lower armor, MD, and MA. Units attacked in the side or rear have lower MD.

Some unit types have splash damage(most heroes/monsters). Melee splash damage SPLITs damage between anything hit. "Explosion damage" from spells/artillery deals damage to every unit hit(decreasing from the center)\

As a result the basic combat structure is "A line that does not die" and then ranged/melee units of various sorts to kill things.

sieging is holding you back. In general the purpose of a siege is to give a defending army enough time to mount a defense. Its not always a bad idea but its not usually efficient compared to taking losses attacking a place. Building enough siege to attack and go to town will be a lot better.

Under what circumstances does a unit get a charge bonus? just if it's running into the other unit?

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
    You get a charge bonus when running into another unit. Technically there is a trigger that will cause a unit to move to "charge speed" and they get the bonus when they achieve that speed. Sometimes you will hear them yell and see some buff graphics on them when this happens.

Some units have "charge defense vs x" and this will negate the bonus from that type of unit.

wbBv3fj.png
    You also get 100% Charge Bonus 100% of the time when you chase down routing or shattered units.

That video is worth watching as it covers:
    • Melee Defense penalties
    • Charge pursuit bonus
    • Fatigue penalties
    • Stalk and Hidden unit detection
    • Elevation bonuses for melee and ranged

Zerkovich has a ton of videos on stuff like stats on his channel.

KarozElvenshae
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    The only people that should siege are purpose built Lords with like -7 or more to siege holdout time from stacking bonuses, where you start inflicting casualties within a turn of sieging and only need to hold it for a couple turns at most before you can trivially autoresolve it. And you only need to do this if you're a faction that has bad siege for knocking down towers and walls, no agent that can Breach walls, and bad enough replenishment that taking the time to siege is time positive vs taking bad losses and healing afterwards. (Or you're trying to bait nearby armies closer to you and know you will retreat and then Lightning Strike them or something on the turn after.)

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    Silas BrownElvenshae
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Ask me about my scrotalist agenda Registered User regular
    In general I avoid sieges, if I can't take out the enemy army straight away then sieging won't do any good, they'll just sally out and I'll be fighting them in an open field. It's (nearly) always better to fight the siege battle as an actual siege battle because the AI is dumb and won't attack beyond the walls, allowing you to pick your fights and take them apart piecemeal.

A cool trick I took far too long to learn: you can sally out yourself, even if you have no lord at a besieged city. Most of the time you don't want to do that, but when its a small rebel force and you have no army nearby it's good to sally out and attack. You damage the enemy force, likely win, if you do lose you don't lose the city. If you win you break their siege and they'll need to set up again, delaying them another turn. And when your main force arrives it'll only be to mop up a few units that are left. And garrison units are freebies, so if they take the damage instead of your real army then you're keeping your armies in better shape (although if there's multiple enemy nearby it may not be a good idea to leave your garrison in a damaged state).

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Decided to play the first campaign rather than diving right back into the campaign from 2. I’ll definitely go back tho I’m enjoying being a haughty cold and distant lady of the lake who thinks nothing of sending her adoring peasants Into the meat grinder

Most of the time siege battles are better but there is an exception. If the enemy force is outside the settlement the reinforcements will not be deployed on the map right away meaning you can crush the force outside before they can catch up.

Sometimes that's easier than a siege battle especially in the early game if lacking punchy magic or artillery, or facing 2 armies and the garrison. It's rare though.

My issue is that in order to like take settlements and ensure I’m not just sitting on my hands, I have to send my armies far off, but then there’s always pirates or something that attacks the heart of my settlements. I can never find the right balance

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular

Right on. On this next attempt, I'm going to try to do more battles and definitely less siegeing.

Oh, so I was still getting very useful information from the random advice-giving human. Am I going to lose that if I start another campaign without getting the introductory start? Does that cut out more than like the first two battles?

Imo, you're going to struggle in these games until you get a feel for them.

I just started up Three Kingdoms and started over 4 times until I could get my opening turns to feel right. And that's about normal for me with every TW game haha

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    My issue is that in order to like take settlements and ensure I’m not just sitting on my hands, I have to send my armies far off, but then there’s always pirates or something that attacks the heart of my settlements. I can never find the right balance

If it's the pirates with the blue and black banners, they love declaring war on you but they'll never leave the water.

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular

Typically the idea is you have one good army with your main Lord in the early game. Once you have ~2 provinces or 6+ settlements you can usually afford a second army that will be a half-stack of bottom-tier units. You use the second army to stabilize public order, put down rebellions with the help of city garrisons, and defend your core province from invaders.

You should also try not to declare war on everybody at once to limit your threats. For this reason, it's often a bad idea to get into early defensive and military alliances with your friends. Get trade agreements and non-aggression pacts. So for example, as Empire, I would typically secure Reikland first, then look at my options. If Couronne has taken Marienburg, I might try attack Massif Orcal to take out the greenskins there and permanently end that threat. Then I could move against the Vampires and Dwarfs in the mountain range between Reikland and the Bretonnia lands. If Couronne doesn't have Marienburg, it's my next priority. On its own, it can fund a small army to keep it from getting retaken. The rest of the province is tricky to hold, so I might try and make peace and then turn my attention elsewhere. But what I won't do is try and fight the Vampires AND Marienburg AND Dwarfs AND Middenland, because I'll get wrecked.

The nice thing about Empire is you can prevent the other Empire factions from going to war with you thanks to the Imperial Authority system. So I don't have to worry about Middenland taking advantage of my army being elsewhere to invade.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned yet: corruption is a huge pain. Some factions like Vampires, Norsca, or Skaven will corrupt the ground in the provinces they hold, which will cause massive public order penalties to you as it builds up. Consequently, sharing a province with one of these factions is almost always more trouble than it's worth: you'll be fighting off rebels every few turns and won't be able to go anywhere else. Be prepared to take all the Vampire (or whatever) holdings in a province before you invade, and understand you'll have to keep an army there for a while until things calm down. A higher level strategy uses those rebels to power level a Lord and his army, but I wouldn't worry about that as a new player.

ProhassElvenshae
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »

Imo, you're going to struggle in these games until you get a feel for them.

I just started up Three Kingdoms and started over 4 times until I could get my opening turns to feel right. And that's about normal for me with every TW game haha

For what its worth I’m right now considering restarting a 30 turns old Sima Lun game because I realized I just made a dreadful strategic error a few turns back ( turns out if you are going to use proxy wars to weaken an opponent you may want to make sure the guy you proxy war them with can’t just snap them up immediately).

For whoever was asking about the DLC question, I know this isn’t a popular answer, but every time I go back to 8 princes I end up with an interesting game. The sides are fairly even so you end up with a pretty steady challenge and the faction mechanics are pretty interesting and decent for most of them.

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    You should also try not to declare war on everybody at once to limit your threats. For this reason, it's often a bad idea to get into early defensive and military alliances with your friends.
    NB: This tends to be an issue moreso on higher difficulties, where the AI will deliberately favor attacking the player over other factions if it's at war with both.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    I'm way late to the Three Kingdoms party but it made some changes I really like.

Your Lords having a retinue and keeping it even when you dismiss them from an army is nice. And being able to fully form an army without having to hire in each unit is also nice. And units returning after a couple turns even if they'd been wiped out in a fight.

This game has such a unique feel compared to every previous TW for me.

In my Sun Jian campaign I managed to snap up Lu Bu. He's now leading an army and kicking ass. Had to give him a couple titles to make him happy and got him married. Curious if any potential kids take on his traits or if that's just totally random.

Feel I have a good grip on the games systems now so can go into my next campaign making way fewer mistakes.

• 101101 Registered User regular
    Jumped into Warhammer two.

The dwarf grudge thing is pretty fun, right now I'm trying to push the greenskins out of the mountains.

Normally in Total War if i select my army, then mouse over an enemy army, you get a relative strength pop up so you can decide ahead of time whether to attack or not.

Is that not a thing, or am I missing it? still getting the hang of the UI.

Here's a mod which claims to fix the confed and trait problems in the beta.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2146498969

I'll give it a shot later. It's only for the bugs in the current beta patch and will hopefully be redundant soon.

SACK! You dont need to be expanding at a rate of 1 settlement /4 army turns. You just want to have that army doing something.

Defending your hearltland is a reasonable thing to do. But so is just taking other people’s stuff. You can just sack a province and then return and m by the time you are back the first region is likely to be ready to sack. Or you might be ready to take it

wbBv3fj.png
    ProhassElvenshae
    edited June 29
    101 wrote: »

The dwarf grudge thing is pretty fun, right now I'm trying to push the greenskins out of the mountains.

Normally in Total War if i select my army, then mouse over an enemy army, you get a relative strength pop up so you can decide ahead of time whether to attack or not.

Not until you're actually on top of them and are about to engage

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    Elvenshae
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I am utterly terrible at sieges, which is why I love Ikkit, but am so hampered by fucking Estalia.

torchlight-sig-80.jpg
    Goumindong wrote: »
    101 wrote: »

Not until you're actually on top of them and are about to engage

Maybe I am imagining but you can kinda tell by whether the banner is tattered or full as well, right?

Not a clue. I didn't think banners had anything to do with that (at least in warhammer)

wbBv3fj.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    You know the relative strength between you and the civ in the diplo screen, but I don't think you get a likelihood for the armies specifically until the engagement screen.

torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Ask me about my scrotalist agenda Registered User regular
    You know the number of units in an enemy army (20/20 10/20 6/20 etc) if you click on it. The green bar next to an army also shows rough number of troops

• IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I am utterly terrible at sieges, which is why I love Ikkit, but am so hampered by fucking Estalia.

If you get close with a fairly small army it’s pretty easy to goad Estalia into attacking and then you can obliterate them with your starting ratling guns and jezzails. Then the siege itself isn’t bad without a supporting army, especially with some menace below casts. Your good starting units aren’t great at sieges, but warp lightning can cause some real damage.

If this doesn’t work, then you can try using food to upgrade Tobaro to level 3 when you take it and build the structure that gives you plagueclaw catapults. Should make sieging much easier.

PJtsz6X.png
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
    Iblis wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »

If you get close with a fairly small army it’s pretty easy to goad Estalia into attacking and then you can obliterate them with your starting ratling guns and jezzails. Then the siege itself isn’t bad without a supporting army, especially with some menace below casts. Your good starting units aren’t great at sieges, but warp lightning can cause some real damage.

If this doesn’t work, then you can try using food to upgrade Tobaro to level 3 when you take it and build the structure that gives you plagueclaw catapults. Should make sieging much easier.

Yeah, uh, that should help...

torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • 101101 Registered User regular
    Ok I think I'm gonna restart this campaign, underestimated just how many troops the greenskins bring to a fight.

I think my mistake was trying to go north and south at the same time, splitting my forces.

As Grudgebearer is it better to go north or south at the start? There's the quest to fight a battle in the North, but south is where the main greenskin forces are and I'd kind of like to get on them before they build up

Terrendos wrote: »

Typically the idea is you have one good army with your main Lord in the early game. Once you have ~2 provinces or 6+ settlements you can usually afford a second army that will be a half-stack of bottom-tier units. You use the second army to stabilize public order, put down rebellions with the help of city garrisons, and defend your core province from invaders.

You should also try not to declare war on everybody at once to limit your threats. For this reason, it's often a bad idea to get into early defensive and military alliances with your friends. Get trade agreements and non-aggression pacts. So for example, as Empire, I would typically secure Reikland first, then look at my options. If Couronne has taken Marienburg, I might try attack Massif Orcal to take out the greenskins there and permanently end that threat. Then I could move against the Vampires and Dwarfs in the mountain range between Reikland and the Bretonnia lands. If Couronne doesn't have Marienburg, it's my next priority. On its own, it can fund a small army to keep it from getting retaken. The rest of the province is tricky to hold, so I might try and make peace and then turn my attention elsewhere. But what I won't do is try and fight the Vampires AND Marienburg AND Dwarfs AND Middenland, because I'll get wrecked.

The nice thing about Empire is you can prevent the other Empire factions from going to war with you thanks to the Imperial Authority system. So I don't have to worry about Middenland taking advantage of my army being elsewhere to invade.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned yet: corruption is a huge pain. Some factions like Vampires, Norsca, or Skaven will corrupt the ground in the provinces they hold, which will cause massive public order penalties to you as it builds up. Consequently, sharing a province with one of these factions is almost always more trouble than it's worth: you'll be fighting off rebels every few turns and won't be able to go anywhere else. Be prepared to take all the Vampire (or whatever) holdings in a province before you invade, and understand you'll have to keep an army there for a while until things calm down. A higher level strategy uses those rebels to power level a Lord and his army, but I wouldn't worry about that as a new player.

Yeah I think my problem was I was making lords and multiple armies then sending them off to conquer, but it was spreading them too thin and I was spending too much money. So this helped, did another restart and doing much better now.

I’m so glad my new computer has a fast ssd tho cos I reload fuckups so much

Elvenshae
    edited June 30
    Also the dial of the old ones puzzle is ridiculous. I like the idea of these but it’s basically purpose built to be unfun and impossible for me outside of screenshotting and rotating in an editor. My brain just doesn’t work like that.

Prohass on
    GvzbgulThat_GuyKarozFiatilElvenshaeCorsiniMr Raystopgap
  • altidaltid Registered User regular
    The best way to solve the dial of the old ones is to look up the solution. It genuinely feels like the intention was to have it rotate in game but they never finished it.

FencingsaxKarozMoridin889ElvenshaeGvzbgulstopgapHeroth
    Yea the sudoku ones can be hard since you cannot record things but the dials are impossible

wbBv3fj.png
    Karoz
    I basically google for those without exception.

The only one I bother to do are the dice.

torchlight-sig-80.jpg
    MulletudeKaroz
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited June 30
    Dice and "find the only one that isn't repeated" are doable.

Sudoku (when I finally looked up it was Sudoku) can be hit or miss.

Dials I sometimes just give up on even looking up.

Edit: Decided to start up a Grimhammer ME Ikit campaign cause I haven't really done his campaign.

The changes to morale makes it so skaven slaves and clanrats don't break at full health which is nice cause that was my main complaint about the mod with Skaven is the main line crumples like wet paper before your support can get any work done.

Karoz on
  • ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    IMO the best way to deal with the dials is this mod which rotates them for you.

I tend to cheese sieges a lot. For most sieges, unless it's a capital or something I usually just approach them with a fairly range heavy army. I usually start from a single side of the map often huddling together to reduce the numbers of towers capable of targeting my troops. I'll stick a sacrificial unit or two, ideally with shields, in front of the archers to absorb enemy missile fire and then let my archers go to town clearing the walls (should probably target enemy missile troops first) until they run out of ammo. Once the ammo is gone or reduced at least (sometimes you want to preserve ammo for shooting cav/monsters from the walls) I send my melee with ladders and support them with my heroes. When the walls are mine I'll bring archers up the ladders to shoot into the castle. you can send troops off the walls to open the gates or have someone break them down safely at this point.

If the enemy has many dangerous ranged units I'll take the time to build siege towers, send in the melee and then use the archers to support them where I can. Also some magic is very good for removing crenellations from the walls making your ranged missiles even better. Warp lightning for example is amazing at this. As far as artillery, it depends on the type. If it's cannons I'll use them to knock down the tower shooting my troops, otherwise I mostly treat them like extra archers.

Karoz
    edited June 30
    The Sudoku ones are bad because a few of them have multiple solutions but the game only accepts one. Fuck that.

danx on
    MulletudeKarozKruiteMoridin889
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    What is the deal with the colors in the sudoku one? I gathered that the dots can't have the same number in any row or column, but many times there's two answers with different colors.