As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

All the [chat] Better than Lacroix

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2019
    this song i am working on is maybe the fastest thing i've ever played

tremolo palm muting into classic punk that changes time signatures mid riff

pick squeals?

guess i gotta start a blackened tech death doom thrash post metal band

Vanguard on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    syndalis wrote: »
    InWin's already gone full crazy with PC cases

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9gSxedVQvo

this is awful IMO.

Well you didn't comment on any of the other ones I posted so I just decided to go balls to the wall

sorry, airplane internet.

They look very functional, and the lack of tools on that one magnetized one is nice... but its not quite what Apple did with the G5/Mac Pro of old... because the case and the motherboard were one and the same. Putting your hard drive in a sleeve and then just socketing it in, no cables needed, for example, because it had the posts aligned with the sleeve's final resting place.

Yeah, I was thinking this but I couldn't remember a good example. I have a Be Quiet case for one of my PCs. It is a very nice top-tier case. The old Mac Pro towers are just in another league, just how every part so cleanly fits together.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I have been on an airplane, or in customs, for over 12 hours. I have been awake for 16, mostly to get ready to be on these airplanes,

I am almost home.

Gobbless.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    In the Chernobyl thread, a couple people are defending the movie RocketMan and I have no idea if we’re talking about the same RocketMan but I prefer not knowing

Oh, wait, the Elton John movie opened for Pride Week. That makes more sense.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Also, earlier this week I would have pooped in the scary toilet no questions asked.

There were moments.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I have been on an airplane, or in customs, for over 12 hours. I have been awake for 16, mostly to get ready to be on these airplanes,

I am almost home.

Gobbless.

Do you have global entry? Worth every penny if you fly internationally

• Options

I am almost home.

Gobbless.

12 hours traveling and 12 days recovering from all the germs you picked up from strangers.
    iyg8szts3phg.jpg
    That armrest you have your arm on now? Covered in germs!

• Options
    ClipseClipse Registered User regular
    La Croix (the actual joke option)
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Clipse wrote: »
    I was curious as to what the bill of materials would come to if you tried to spec out the lowest end Mac Pro with loose parts, and in good faith, attempting to find parts that matched its features and weren't just "RAM".

My cost of loose parts came to about $3461, allowing for $300 to the custom FPGA video encoder and $300 for that rad case. The motherboard is impossible to match because it has fuckin nuts specs. It needs an FCLGA2066 socket, 8 PCI-e 16x slots, and 12 DDR4 ECC RAM slots, tons of thunderbolt ports, and like, no regular IO. I found essentially nothing similar.

Showing work:
    ujmm8vlveusf.png

I'll point out here that the chosen CPU has less than half(!) the cache that Apple is advertising for the base Mac Pro. I tried poking around Intel Ark to see if I could figure out what CPU they're using and couldn't find any Xeon W that matches; I'm curious if it's a custom chip or what. At any rate, L2 cache isn't cheap; even if it were a standard production chip, doubling the cache would probably add at least a few hundred to the price.

I believe that they are adding all caches together

The highest specced is 2x W-2175 which has 14 L2 and 19.25 L3 per chip
    24.5 MB is only achievable by having 2x W-2123 which have 4 L2 and 8.25 L3 per chip for 24.5 combined total. This also fits with the posted clock speeds the best as that is the only chip to boost to 4 GHz and run at 3.5 GHz (see https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/xeon_w)

Intel's MSRP on the W-2123 is (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/125036/intel-xeon-w-2123-processor-8-25m-cache-3-60-ghz.html) $294 so $588 on CPUs

I guess that's not impossible, but if Apple is genuinely just straight-up lying about the CPU configuration options on their Tech Specs page then that is... pretty uniquely terrible. If that's the game they're playing they pretty much deserve to be skewered over these specs.

I wouldn't say they're lying they advertise 8 core 16 thread, 24.5 MB cache, 3.5GHz, 4GHz boost as their low spec option and that's what you get exactly with 2x w2123, but there's no one chip that fits all of that, or any of that actually. Apple has some clout at Intel but not I would say enough to get double cache, differently clocked versions for a probably low volume system

If you assume that everything is stock dual cpu though everything makes more sense. One chip can't access that many PCIe lanes but two could, one chip doesn't have that much cache but two can, etc

It's also consistent, the highest spec is a "28 core 56 thread" option - that doesn't exist in a single chip to my knowledge, but it does exist as two 14 core chips

If you go down their spec list and assume that everything is a two cpu setup they all map out simply, except the 24 core which I think is a 10+14 setup

Xeon W-3175 and W-3275 are both 28 core, 56 thread CPUs. If they were genuinely shipping a dual-CPU system they could easily claim to support 56 cores (and 112 threads).

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I watched all of Final Space. And I am fucking shocked by this show.

It...it was not what it started out as.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Anyone ever been an uber driver in here? How was it? I'm thinking I might have to in the near future. I enjoyed delivering pizzas and driving around when I was younger , but I didn't have to deal with people in my car. I'm kind if anti social.

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »
    Anyone ever been an uber driver in here? How was it? I'm thinking I might have to in the near future. I enjoyed delivering pizzas and driving around when I was younger , but I didn't have to deal with people in my car. I'm kind if anti social.
    @spool32

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Off Brand Shasta (yes this is somehow a thing)
    I should be starting on my laundry rn but

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I was curious as to what the bill of materials would come to if you tried to spec out the lowest end Mac Pro with loose parts, and in good faith, attempting to find parts that matched its features and weren't just "RAM".

My cost of loose parts came to about $3461, allowing for $300 to the custom FPGA video encoder and $300 for that rad case. The motherboard is impossible to match because it has fuckin nuts specs. It needs an FCLGA2066 socket, 8 PCI-e 16x slots, and 12 DDR4 ECC RAM slots, tons of thunderbolt ports, and like, no regular IO. I found essentially nothing similar.

Showing work:
    ujmm8vlveusf.png

I'll point out here that the chosen CPU has less than half(!) the cache that Apple is advertising for the base Mac Pro. I tried poking around Intel Ark to see if I could figure out what CPU they're using and couldn't find any Xeon W that matches; I'm curious if it's a custom chip or what. At any rate, L2 cache isn't cheap; even if it were a standard production chip, doubling the cache would probably add at least a few hundred to the price.

I believe that they are adding all caches together

The highest specced is 2x W-2175 which has 14 L2 and 19.25 L3 per chip
    24.5 MB is only achievable by having 2x W-2123 which have 4 L2 and 8.25 L3 per chip for 24.5 combined total. This also fits with the posted clock speeds the best as that is the only chip to boost to 4 GHz and run at 3.5 GHz (see https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/xeon_w)

Intel's MSRP on the W-2123 is (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/125036/intel-xeon-w-2123-processor-8-25m-cache-3-60-ghz.html) $294 so $588 on CPUs

I guess that's not impossible, but if Apple is genuinely just straight-up lying about the CPU configuration options on their Tech Specs page then that is... pretty uniquely terrible. If that's the game they're playing they pretty much deserve to be skewered over these specs.

It is worth noting that Apple and Intel have on multiple occasionas worked out deals on the side for Apple to get custom shit.

These are the kinds of things you can do when you are worth more than most countries.

Not saying this is good or bad... but going to CDW to figure out specs on machines coming out in November probably won't be 100% accurate.

What's more likely, that Apple managed to get custom versions with major die changes including doubling cache to every single chip in Intel's lineup and also chips that do not otherwise even exist (>18 core, 6 core, 12 core), or adding two stock or already used in the iMac Pro chips together yields the exact numbers on here https://www.apple.com/mac-pro/specs/
    8-Core
    3.5GHz Intel Xeon W
    8 cores, 16 threads
    Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz
    24.5MB cache
    Support for up to 1TB 2666MHz memory

2x Xeon W-2123
    2x 4core / 8 thread
    Runs 3.5 GHz / boost 4 GHz
    2x 4 MiB L2 / 8.25 MiB L3 (24.5 total)
    Supports 512 GB / chip

12-Core
    3.3GHz Intel Xeon W
    12 cores, 24 threads
    Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz
    31.25MB cache
    Support for up to 1TB 2933MHz memory

Xeon W-2140B (iMac Pro chip) + W-2123 or 25
    8 core / 16 thread @ 3.3 GHz + 4 core / 8 thread @ 3.5 or 4 GHz
    8 MiB L2 / 11 MiB L3 (19 MB)
    4 MiB L2 / 8.25 MiB L3 (12.25)
    31.25 total
    Supports 512 GB / chip

16-Core
    3.2GHz Intel Xeon W
    16 cores, 32 threads
    Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz
    38MB cache
    Support for up to 1TB 2933MHz memory

2x Xeon W-2140B (iMac Pro chip)
    8 core / 16 thread @ 3.3 GHz
    2x 8 MiB L2 / 11 MiB L3 (38 total)
    Supports 512 GB / chip

24-Core
    2.7GHz Intel Xeon W
    24 cores, 48 threads
    Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz
    57MB cache
    Support for up to 2TB 2933MHz memory

Xeon W-2170B + W-2150B (both iMac Pro chips)
    14 core / 28 thread @ 2.5 GHz + 10 core / 20 thread @ 3 GHz. Average speed would be around 2.7
    14 MiB L2 + 19.25 MiB L3 (33.25)
    10 MiB L2 + 13.75 MiB L3 (23.75)
    57MB total
    The normal chips only support 512GB each, it's possible they got an extra address line added

28-Core
    2.5GHz Intel Xeon W
    28 cores, 56 threads
    Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz
    66.5MB cache
    Support for up to 2TB 2933MHz memory

2x Xeon W-2170B (iMac Pro chip)
    2x 14 core / 28 thread @ 2.5 GHz
    2x 14 MiB L2 + 19.25 MiB L3 (66.5 total)
    The normal chips only support 512GB each, it's possible they got an extra address line added

Phyphor on
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I stopped thinking of the show as a comedy when the main bad guy graphically strangled an underling until the underling's eyes bulged out of their sockets and then broke his neck.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

I stopped thinking of the show as a comedy when the main bad guy graphically strangled an underling until the underling's eyes bulged out of their sockets and then broke his neck.

Welp

Back to Big Mouth

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options

Welp

Back to Big Mouth

I stopped thinking of Big Mouth as a comedy when someone here posted a clip of one of the middle-schooler characters impregnating his pillow.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Insert One of Hahnsoo's jokes here
    So, Baldur's Gate 1, can I access the main campaign if I start the expansion campaigns? Or should I start out vanilla?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    the between places, where the flavor collects

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

Welp

Back to Big Mouth

I stopped thinking of Big Mouth as a comedy when someone here posted a clip of one of the middle-schooler characters impregnating his pillow.

Well yes it's more of a documentary

He even uses Amy's brand corn chowder

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    So, Baldur's Gate 1, can I access the main campaign if I start the expansion campaigns? Or should I start out vanilla?

I think the Tales of the Sword Coast stuff are sidequests.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I am enjoying What We Do in the Shadows on Sling.

• Options

Baldur's Gate has a very standard story ... but that's why you're playing an old game in the first place. Old-school charm. I say play vanilla first.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    @credeiki I am going to work at the Booz office till noon tomorrow. Want to do lunch around 12:30? Any where in Rosslyn you like?

@mazzyx sure, that works. I would go to Kampai for some cheap sushi—I don’t know any of the other restaurants very well.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

i hear it pays pretty bad for how much you work and how much you destroy your car

delivery driver might be a better idea, especially if you don't want to make conversation with randos

sig.gif
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular

Install it all at once I belive. Also mods for widescreen is almost mandatory if it's the old version. There used to be a thread here I believe.

I wonder if I have my old save somewhere from my old pc. I was playing through and got further than I've ever been, as starting as a mage sucks. Now I want to reinstall.

• Options
    Hmm 2 hour meeting on rfp response—good thing I wrote the outline this weekend or it would have been a d i s a s t e r, and then somehow afterwards I went out for drinks with the one guy and a new data science hire

Since I didn’t quite eat, the two drinks were actually a lot oops

Fun conversation though!

• Options

You want to play with totsc installed as it ups the level cap among other thing

Do Durlag’s tower about halfway or 3/4 through the campaign and do the sword coast stuff shortly before the end, imo

Man I love BG1

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Hey @RickRude you don't have to do a lot of interacting with people - you kind of set the vibe for the trips yourself.

I liked it a lot, it's not a fountain of cash but it can earn you decent money as a bridge, or a tolerable living if you really lean in.

Make sure your insurance situation is sorted, and build $25 a week or so in car cleaning into your budget, along with projected maintenance on your ride.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

Welp

Back to Big Mouth

It was surprisingly moving. And I am very interested where they go with it.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2019
    I just thought of something

Peanutbutterfinger cookies

Vanguard on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

Welp

Back to Big Mouth

...I thought that was hilarious, and I immediately watched all the episodes. I thought it was the freshest cartoon comedy I’ve seen in a while...I don’t think it’ll be good after 4 seasons.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    La Croix (the actual joke option)
    What would the mascot be? Some kind of Mister Peanutbutter Cookie Monster?

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I got the new Stellaris DLC early because Paradox is very nice so me and @TheKoolEagle are gonna continue our multiplayer game where I'm totally winning

twitch.tv/sniperguygaming

beacons:

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    What would the mascot be? Some kind of Mister Peanutbutter Cookie Monster?
    Mascots you say...
    c4ix2d20wopp.gif

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I think the think that the DLC campaign it's asking me about is something that came out in 2016... hm...

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I thought Big Mouth was great but for some reason greatly depresses me.

• Options
    I think the think that the DLC campaign it's asking me about is something that came out in 2016... hm...

Oh, you mean the extended edition stuff, with the 3 new NPCs? You should install that at base as well. I haven't played BGEE but I hear it integrates well into the base game.

This discussion has been closed.