As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Girls' Frontline [GFL]: Longitudinal Strain Story event is live

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I'm guessing I'm not going to get a shotgun unless I actually dump 8k of each into the build order?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    In that case, I'll be getting all my teams to 90 and take it from there. Good to know the final goal is a bit closer than 100.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    I'm guessing I'm not going to get a shotgun unless I actually dump 8k of each into the build order?

You can get shotguns from the 6k recipe, but at that point you might as well go all the way for the 8k recipe.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options

You can get shotguns from the 6k recipe, but at that point you might as well go all the way for the 8k recipe.

Yeah, I was all excited to try and get one, so I did the 6k recipe and got Micro Uzi (dupe)... I think I'll wait on trying to actually produce a Shotgun.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options

Yeah, I was all excited to try and get one, so I did the 6k recipe and got Micro Uzi (dupe)... I think I'll wait on trying to actually produce a Shotgun.

Yeah, that happens a lot even with the 8k recipe. Well, I guess not really "a lot" but it sure feels like it when it happens after you put down so many resources.

I mentioned it a few pages back, but if you just want any shotgun on the cheap, then you you can just spam a few really cheap 1000x4 recipes. Type 97S (Captain China) is an achievement reward for performing your first 10 heavy productions. She's not the tankiest SG, but she has tile buffs that are good for buffing a trio of MG's. The name of the game with MG/shotgun teams is that the enemy force SHOULD be defeated before the machineguns complete their first volley, so usually shotguns don't get attack all that much. To that end, fully maxed out 5* ammo boxes are a necessity for MG's to be used to their full potential. I forget who precisely can drop from 1000x4, but I do know that I've gotten G11 from that recipe.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Yeah, I can't even enhance equip yet.

• Options
    Yeah, I really wouldn't worry about shotguns much right now beyond maybe doing one heavy production per week.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    SAT-8 is the top general use shotgun just because she has a such a well rounded kit - unlike many SGs you actually see her activate her skill, the skill itself is great and works both solo and with another SG, her stats are all around solid, and her buff tiles are great for MGs with perfect coverage. Also she bakes u pizza. She's also rare as hell even for an SG so many shikikans have burned their resources in vain trying to get her

@General_Armchair shrimp is not great against bosses in night maps because they typically have evasion and shrimp has garbo acc if she's equipping a PEQ to counteract night. Actually can SMGs even equip PEQs? Iirc they can but generally what's the point. Ouroboros is also nasty with her dmg and started off targetting my off-tank smg (aka lost links which would be a huge dps loss for shrimp) so yeah, not worth it to use shrimp imo.

@chrono_traveller really recommend raising ST AR-15 since i didn't see you mention her in your comps. Once you have her gear sorted out with her special equip she hangs with 5* ARs no problem and boy does she get the good shit when her makeover comes in singularity. Right now for cube+ she's probably not the most optimal choice esp since investing in her gear takes time but just thought I'd throw that out there

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    E1-4 cleared for the event. I haven't gotten five-seven yet. That's going to be a hell of a farm it looks like.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Orphane wrote: »
    SAT-8 is the top general use shotgun just because she has a such a well rounded kit - unlike many SGs you actually see her activate her skill, the skill itself is great and works both solo and with another SG, her stats are all around solid, and her buff tiles are great for MGs with perfect coverage. Also she bakes u pizza. She's also rare as hell even for an SG so many shikikans have burned their resources in vain trying to get her

@General_Armchair shrimp is not great against bosses in night maps because they typically have evasion and shrimp has garbo acc if she's equipping a PEQ to counteract night. Actually can SMGs even equip PEQs? Iirc they can but generally what's the point. Ouroboros is also nasty with her dmg and started off targetting my off-tank smg (aka lost links which would be a huge dps loss for shrimp) so yeah, not worth it to use shrimp imo.

@chrono_traveller really recommend raising ST AR-15 since i didn't see you mention her in your comps. Once you have her gear sorted out with her special equip she hangs with 5* ARs no problem and boy does she get the good shit when her makeover comes in singularity. Right now for cube+ she's probably not the most optimal choice esp since investing in her gear takes time but just thought I'd throw that out there

I kinda expected as much, but a part of me wondered if she had no evasion. Shrimp rips apart things with zero evasion like no tomorrow.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    I think I've got the E1-4 down, but the boss does kinda rip Skorpion/Makarov to shreds, so it makes me either wait a long time to repair them, or burn through my quick repair tickets. Skorpion doesn't do a ton of damage, so I wonder if throwing in Ingram instead of Skorpion would help (actually C-MS is my best tank, but she's been doing a lot of heavy lifting on the second squad to keep it kinda viable, but I guess the best thing to do is just try it out). Got one more clear on E1-4 to get the completion reward. I haven't had any of the special units drop yet. :bigfrown:

Thanks for the advice, @Orphane. Would you replace FF FNC with ST AR-15 in the lineup?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    So to get Five-seven:

There are four mobs, plus the boss that can drop it. You can also get it as the end reward?

Is it necessary to get S to have a chance, or does that just raise the odds. I've seen conflicting statements.

• Options
    I think I've got the E1-4 down, but the boss does kinda rip Skorpion/Makarov to shreds, so it makes me either wait a long time to repair them, or burn through my quick repair tickets. Skorpion doesn't do a ton of damage, so I wonder if throwing in Ingram instead of Skorpion would help (actually C-MS is my best tank, but she's been doing a lot of heavy lifting on the second squad to keep it kinda viable, but I guess the best thing to do is just try it out). Got one more clear on E1-4 to get the completion reward. I haven't had any of the special units drop yet. :bigfrown:

Thanks for the advice, Orphane. Would you replace FF FNC with ST AR-15 in the lineup?

i mean i would keep using FNC for now if she's leveled but maybe swap out xm8 for STAR once leveled since xm8 isn't particularly good

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    So to get Five-seven:

There are four mobs, plus the boss that can drop it. You can also get it as the end reward?

Is it necessary to get S to have a chance, or does that just raise the odds. I've seen conflicting statements.

S-ranking the map gives you a shot at 5-7 as the end of mission drop. iirc if you don't get s-rank you probably aren't eligible to get 5-7 from that particular drop but i could be wrong.

• Options
    So to get Five-seven:

S-ranking the map gives you a shot at 5-7 as the end of mission drop. iirc if you don't get s-rank you probably aren't eligible to get 5-7 from that particular drop but i could be wrong.

So you can still get 5-7 from the eligible fights, but not end of mission if you don't get S?

• Options
    So to get Five-seven:

So you can still get 5-7 from the eligible fights, but not end of mission if you don't get S?

That should be the case, i believe

• Options
    Boy I hope I'll be able to build quick repair tickets back up before another event. I've been using them like candy because I'm determined to get 5-7 but both my teams basically eat it running once.

• Options
    You should. In general people get them faster than they can spend then. The Valhalla collab is next month, but then I don't think that any big events are scheduled until singularity this fall.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    How dumb is it to do

G43/SAA
    M14/Mk23
    Blank/Type92

as a night time squad?

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Really bad if those handguns aren't at least level 80 with exo's. It's inadvisable to use handguns as tanks prior to equipping exo's.

Move m14 down and move SAA into the middle of your backline so that she buffs both rifles. You can leave mk23 where she is, but run an smg above her. Shuffle the smg front and center once the battle begins.

Edit:
    Often welrod or Makarov fulfill the roll of handgun tank.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    What have other events been like? Are they like this come event? Or more like the event that ended last month with grinding the chapter battles?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    repair tix lol

1d5hpoyvmzyt.png

the three common minor events are points-based events based on doing event only quests, bingo card ones with semi-random daily quests, and the currency farm ones

there are also xp +50% events, logistics great success rate +50% events, and tdoll/equip/heavy production/fairy production rate up events but those are modifiers to existing stuff and not actual content.

major events are like Cube in that they have their own maps but they are larger in scale with more chapters, especially the story ones which get increasingly complex with branching routes and shit - cube+ is actually an addition (heh) onto the original Operation Cube

• Options
    What have other events been like? Are they like this come event? Or more like the event that ended last month with grinding the chapter battles?

Cube+ is an example of a Story event. They are major events that happen only a few times a year. They tell a canon story that ties into the main campaign story. We'll eventually get a mode where anyone can go back and play through the missions of prior story events so that newcomers can see the story firsthand. Story events also usually introduce new features and mechanics into the game. At least I think that the features were brand new for the original showings of the events. The EN server is still playing catchup and has benefited from some of the new mechanics prior to their debut events.

If you count Cube+ as a distinct story event and not just a rerun, then the EN server has had four story events:
    • Operation Cube: Introduced night battles and IIRC it also introduced equipment
    • Arctic Warfare: Introduced shotguns, Jupiter Cannons, one-way paths, resupply caches, and time gated helipads.
    • Deep Dive: Introduced fairies, supply lines, and hostage rescue.
    • Cube+ is a re-run of Operation Cube, and includes an extra chapter that ties in to the current events in the story.

The other major event type are the Collaboration events. They play out similar to the story events except we get unique collaboration units instead of new mechanics. I don't know if the stories are considered canon, but they are self contained and do not tie in to the main story. We've had one collab event on the EN server so far, and we'll get our second one in August.

There are four types of minor events:
    • Voucher or "boss hunt" events where you receive currency each day for defeating specific bosses. This was the type of event that was ongoing when the activity in this thread picked up a few weeks ago.
    • Bingo events where you complete challenges each day to try to complete a bingo card. Note that the game is setup in such a way that you are guranteed to get all of the rewards if you complete all of the challenges every day.
    • Point events where a you complete a variety of challenges every week and unlock bonuses as you acquire points from doing those challenges. Note that all of the rewards, minus the extra sticker for your ID card at the very end, can be unlocked without relying upon RNG challenges (craft 5*'s) or purchase challenges (spend X gems)
    • Rescue events: The community is allowed to vote on a selection of dolls to be "rescued." For the duration of the event, those dolls are available as rare drops from specific boss maps.

We also occasionally get things like bonus XP or improved crafting rates.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Is there any sort of schedule to increased crafting rates?

• Options
    Is there any sort of schedule to increased crafting rates?

Every time we get a new set of dolls, those specific dolls will get a rate up. The rate of crafting a 5* won't change, but the odds of pulling that specific 5* instead of any other are improved. Rarely we get general rate ups which boost the overall 5* rate. I think that we usually get notice a week or two out from the event. I know that we had one for the anniversary. General rate ups are rare.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Hoo these drop rates are not generous, are they? I think I've cleared E1-4 about 30 times now, so maybe 50-90 drop chances, and I haven't seen any event drops at all.

Edit: Ok, that's an exaggeration it seems. Half that. Also remember kids, complaining about RNG Is the only way to get something to drop.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Hoo these drop rates are not generous, are they? I think I've cleared E1-4 about 30 times now, so maybe 50-90 drop chances, and I haven't seen any event drops at all.

Edit: Ok, that's an exaggeration it seems. Half that. Also remember kids, complaining about RNG Is the only way to get something to drop.

Yeah, it's being quite stingy. At least i have a couple of days off now, so I have a chance at making a dent.

• Options
    Do drops from a fight improve as you get a higher score? I'm not 100% sure but I think I'm seeing better drops from the same fights as I get more powerful.

I don't have enough sample size to be conclusive in any way though.

• Options
    I'm with ya there Darke, I'm at 22 attempts, and still none of the limited units have dropped for me, though I read that you need S rank on the individual battle or map (for the map clear) for them to drop, so my actual number of possible chances is a lot lower than the 22 would indicate. Though now that I (finally) got FF FNC up to lvl 70, I have my back line of ARs (TAR-21, M4A1, FF FNC) and Skorpion at x4, only Makarov is at x3 (and lvl 57 so it'll be awhile yet) to get all at x4. The good thing is that getting FNC to x4 has now let me consistently get S rank on most battles on E1-4 (except the one with the 3 big machine one still really hurts, so I try to avoid that one), and with much less damage than before, so I'm hoping to be able to farm the map more efficiently going forward.

On a happy note, I got lucky with some heavy builds, I got an armor and an illumination fairy (which seems really good for this event?). I'm not exactly sure how one gets the Fairy commands? Also, on my 4th attempt, finally got a shotgun, though it doesn't seem to be great one, but serviceable? (M590). Is there a particular point when I should start really trying to develop a SGMG team?

• Options
    You need S rank for the after battle drops when you are chasing night battle exclusive gear, campaign boss drop exclusive dolls, or rescue event dolls.

S-ranking the entire mission gives you a roll for the above as well.

I'm not sure if S rank is needed for the event limited drops. I've always just S-ranked the fights regardless.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    When is the weekly reset?

• Options
    I'm with ya there Darke, I'm at 22 attempts, and still none of the limited units have dropped for me, though I read that you need S rank on the individual battle or map (for the map clear) for them to drop, so my actual number of possible chances is a lot lower than the 22 would indicate. Though now that I (finally) got FF FNC up to lvl 70, I have my back line of ARs (TAR-21, M4A1, FF FNC) and Skorpion at x4, only Makarov is at x3 (and lvl 57 so it'll be awhile yet) to get all at x4. The good thing is that getting FNC to x4 has now let me consistently get S rank on most battles on E1-4 (except the one with the 3 big machine one still really hurts, so I try to avoid that one), and with much less damage than before, so I'm hoping to be able to farm the map more efficiently going forward.

On a happy note, I got lucky with some heavy builds, I got an armor and an illumination fairy (which seems really good for this event?). I'm not exactly sure how one gets the Fairy commands? Also, on my 4th attempt, finally got a shotgun, though it doesn't seem to be great one, but serviceable? (M590). Is there a particular point when I should start really trying to develop a SGMG team?

The drop rate is low. Something like ~1% per roll. Not every mob on the map is eligible to drop her either. I haven't looked to see who does. A rescue fairy with a maxed out skill purportedly boosts the drop rate of 5*'s by 30%, 4*'s by 40%,and 3*'s by 50%. This is kinda a crummy map for farming drops since it's a night map where some enemies have randomized start positions.

The illumination fairy is good and she is a staple for night battles, particularly the night ranking maps. However she's mostly valued for her skill which boosts fog of war vision range by +2 when fully upgraded. So when she's in a squad with a handgun, her skill boosts vision range to three nodes for a few turns. Performing such an upgrade is a huge investment that costs a few thousand skill data and the better part of a week of skill training. As useful as she is, she's not as valued as the paradrop fairy. Paradrop is reccomended to be the first major skill investment for your fairies since the paradrop fairy represents a paradigm shift that enables strategies that are outright impossible without her. Paradrop can't be crafted from the 500x4 recipe.

Fairy commands regenerate every six hours. With a maxed out fairy chamber, the rate is +15 every six hours or 60 per day.

M590 is a good offtank shotgun since her tiles let her buff your MG's from position 3.

You don't really need an MG/SG team for most maps. They're kinda a luxury. You'll want to level up some MG's for the skill data training simulation since 4 MG's plus a handgun is the cookie cutter team for that. Everyone runs mg/SG teams as their friend support teams since they have inflated ce values and get sorted to the top of the list.

MG teams are reccomended for fighting the bosses Garm (Cerberus) and Judge. Garm is an event boss, and Judge shows up in chapter 9. IIRC the griffon support echelon can defeat judge if the inflated friend sg/MG teams can't. MG/SG were super popular for the Arctic warfare and deep dive ranking maps since they trivialized the rank and file mobs, but most future ranking maps take place at night which hamstrings their general purpose usefulness. The AW and DD ranking maps will be re-run eventually and MG/SG teams will be king again for those battles.

In Singularity a lot of veteran players will run a few "gunboat" teams to take down a specific optional enemy, but such a formation consists of four MG's and one handgun.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options

I think it's sometime on Sunday. I kinda wish that it was synced with the weekly maintenance on Tuesday.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options

I think it's sometime on Sunday. I kinda wish that it was synced with the weekly maintenance on Tuesday.

the weekly reset happens on the daily rollover from Sunday->Monday which is currently 3AM Central time

• Options
    edited July 2019
    I keep getting A's instead of S's on the Ouro fight itself. I don't get hit by her missiles, but the walk in to actually get to her results in her nuking one of my SMG's down pretty hard. I assume there's some damage threshold to a single unit that brings down my score or something. Not sure I could fix it though. Line up is two SMG's in front, AR, HG, and an RF in back.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Does your rifle have a cape equipped? If so unequip it immediately. It's rare for capes to be useful. Often they're outright detrimental due to their extreme movement penalty.

If you retreat the damaged doll from the battlefield before she gets critical, then you can preserve your S rank.

That formation also sounds like it is critically low on DPS. You only have two DPS units, and only one of them is eligible for the buffs from all of the remaining three units. You should probably ditch one of the SMGS for another assault rifle. If you have other echelons identify a path to Ouroboros' location, then you could also consider ditching the handgun instead of the smg.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Does your rifle have a cape equipped? If so unequip it immediately. It's rare for capes to be useful. Often they're outright detrimental due to their extreme movement penalty.

If you retreat the damaged doll from the battlefield before she gets critical, then you can preserve your S rank.

That formation also sounds like it is critically low on DPS. You only have two DPS units, and only one of them is eligible for the buffs from all of the remaining three units. You should probably ditch one of the SMGS for another assault rifle. If you have other echelons identify a path to Ouroboros' location, then you could also consider ditching the handgun instead of the smg.

I do not have a cape on the RF. I'm also not sure how I could really pull this off without a HG right now with what I have available. I can pull an SMG and run my 5 start AR as the backup tank once the SMG takes too much of a beating maybe.

• Options
    edited July 2019

I do not have a cape on the RF. I'm also not sure how I could really pull this off without a HG right now with what I have available. I can pull an SMG and run my 5 start AR as the backup tank once the SMG takes too much of a beating maybe.

no

if anything you should use the HG as the backup tank because even though they are going to eat shit since they don't have that much health and probably aren't 80 for the t-exo, ARs and RFs don't want to get hit until you have no other options because losing dummy links loses you DPS instantly which makes the fight go on longer which means you lose more dps which means you lose eventually

Orphane on
  • Options

no

if anything you should use the HG as the backup tank because even though they are going to eat shit since they don't have that much health and probably aren't 80 for the t-exo, ARs and RFs don't want to get hit until you have no other options because losing dummy links loses you DPS instantly which makes the fight go on longer which means you lose more dps which means you lose eventually

I'm not losing, though. I'm just getting an A instead of an S. The AR is at 5 dummies and can eat it for awhile. The HG is 80 as well so can run the exo but is only at 4 dummies.

• Options
    Since your current team is winning, and if you are lacking dolls to create a more suitable boss hunter team, then you should focus on withdrawing damaged dolls. IIRC the cutoff for S rank is any doll dropping below 30% HP. Withdraw the damaged doll from the battlefield before she gets that beat up and you should be able to preserve S-rank .

no

I agree that this is what we should strive for, but we don't know what dolls are being used and what options are available as an alternative. I don't think that it's outside the realm of possibility that someone with a meager selection of dolls may find themselves in the situation where the best case with what they have is to put cola in the backline to buff their best two DPS and then to have cola and the "offtank" AR swap places immediately once the fight begins. Hell, it may actually be better to put that extra AR in the main tank slot so that cola buffs all three so long that you are quick with your fingers and shuffle the AR back into backline and the smg/hg into proper tanking positions before the enemy enters target acquisition range.

Ideally you'd use different dolls to avoid needing to do that shuffle, but an ideal squad may not be in the cards at this moment.

3DS Friend Code: