As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Girls' Frontline [GFL]: Longitudinal Strain Story event is live

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Agreed. Unless you have all the shotguns that you want, then it's best to just do heavy tdoll construction once per week with the really expensive shotgun recipe.

Although I guess if someone wanted to beeline getting a SG/MG team online, then they could do it by spamming out a few 1000/1000/1000/1000 heavy productions to unlock the achievement where you get that one Chinese 4* shotgun as a reward for doing X heavy productions. I forget her name, but people have nicknamed her Captain China because of her shield with the red star. She's pretty nice as a first shotgun. The player might get lucky and roll G11 or something with those cheap rolls on their path to the achievement.

Edit:
    There's no escaping equipment heavy production for fairies though.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    Girls Frontline Corner just released a detailed enemy analysis breakdown and details about how to most efficiently defeat each enemy deployed by Sangvis Ferri.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TjHC4Vaed8dFqSkagM6teNlmBjFGPiUbTRnTnvxnnu4/edit#gid=176989280

3DS Friend Code:
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    I've made some commanders orders ( or something like that) with the extra xp I had. But I don't get how to actually give the xp to a unit.

Also, as far as equipment, is there a particular type I should be making? It seems that exoskeleton is good for smg to help them tank a bit better, but what kind of scopes are best for AR vs. RF ?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    I've made some commanders orders ( or something like that) with the extra xp I had. But I don't get how to actually give the xp to a unit.

Also, as far as equipment, is there a particular type I should be making? It seems that exoskeleton is good for smg to help them tank a bit better, but what kind of scopes are best for AR vs. RF ?

Combat reports can be given as gifts from the dormitory

If you're starting out, do 150/150/150/150 recipe for a shot at all types of gear

RFs and ARs both use VFL optic (crit) scopes. AR switch to PEQs at night. ITI Red Dots are for certain offense SMGs with low accuracy, MGs with low accuracy, and SGs. EOT holo sights are for grenade/molotov units or MGs with middling accuracy.

edited June 2019
    decided to record a video to both review what planning mode is capable of and display the power of muscle memory optimization. this is probably a ways away for most of the people starting out in this thread, but it's an example of how to make the game's systems work in your favor.

https://youtu.be/ABzL5BtsjJI

couple of notes:

This particular setup of units being dragged is especially potent for the dragging AR, giving a total of 70% fp buff to the AR which means easy destruction of enemy units with nades. Composition is important!
    I drag k11 to the front of the echelon so she is echelon leader, therefore getting a double stacked xp bonus for being both leader and MVP since she's not level 100 yet
    0-2 dragging is specifically done with M16A (the last member of the initial AR team) because she is an unusual AR who can equip armor plates, which is an equipment normally reserved for Shotguns. Since the enemy damage in 0-2 is low but there are a lot of them, M16 is the ideal choice because of her higher than SG evasion but ability to equip armor unlike SMGs and HGs, striking the balance of both avoiding and mitigating incoming damage.
    If it's not obvious, I'm tabbed out doing other things while this is going on. That's planning mode for you!

Orphane on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I didn't understand how you could possibly run out of resources, I never came close.

And now I understand. Please, giev ammo

What is this I don't even.
    For the xp combat demo daily thing. If you run more than one unit do they split the xp reward, or do they all get it? IE should I make sure I run all of the squads, or try to do one.

edited June 2019
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    For the xp combat demo daily thing. If you run more than one unit do they split the xp reward, or do they all get it? IE should I make sure I run all of the squads, or try to do one.

The way that the XP combat simulation works is that upon victory a large pool of XP is equally distributed among all deployed dolls.

If you send in one echelon, then the XP is equally distributed five ways between each of the members of that echelon. If you send in two echelons, then that XP is equally distributed among all ten members even if only one echelon did all of the fighting.

So if you're trying to powerlevel one echelon, then you want to just send them alone so that they reap all of the benefits. However if you don't want to "waste" xp on your powerful squad, then you can deploy many weak echelons alongside the strong echelon that does all of the work so that ratio of the pool's distribution shifts more towards more XP sent to dolls that need XP and less towards powerful dolls that don't need it.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:

The way that the XP combat simulation works is that upon victory a large pool of XP is equally distributed among all deployed dolls.

If you send in one echelon, then the XP is equally distributed five ways between each of the members of that echelon. If you send in two echelons, then that XP is equally distributed among all ten members even if only one echelon did all of the fighting.

So if you're trying to powerlevel one echelon, then you want to just send them alone so that they reap all of the benefits. However if you don't want to "waste" xp on your powerful squad, then you can deploy many weak echelons alongside the strong echelon that does all of the work so that ratio of the pool's distribution shifts more towards more XP sent to dolls that need XP and less towards powerful dolls that don't need it.

Thanks. Since I'm starting out I figure my main squad as the five of them makes sense, as they're my progression team.

Thanks. Since I'm starting out I figure my main squad as the five of them makes sense, as they're my progression team.

You'll also want to eventually run a command fairy in your squad to boost XP gain (although the fairy won't help in the combat sim).

Equipment heavy production is unlocked once you clear 60 unique maps. IIRC you're gifted a command fairy for either unlocking equipment heavy production or by making use of it a few times. Building fairies is a pretty huge (HUGE) resource sink, so I wouldn't worry about it too much until after you have at least one if not more echelons in fighting shape. But you'll want to integrate that freebie command fairy into your team since it will provide a noticeable boost even at baseline levels.

A baseline command fairy will grant +8% damage, +8% crit damage, +8% evasion, and +2% armor to the entire team. If you spend a fairy command to activate the fairy's combat skill, then you'll receive +5% xp at skill level 1. Since you won't have any other uses for fairy commands yet, that's just free XP for the taking. That XP boost can rise to as high as +25% with a full level 10 skill, but that's a pretty huge resource investment and the skill points are arguably much better spent on your workhorse team. That said, basic skill data is pretty easy to acquire and you can probably benefit from upgrading the fairy skill as far as you can with basic data.

3DS Friend Code:
    I haven't unlocked fairies yet. I think I need to go back and unlock night missions, I've just been running up regular.

Did the event that gave the metal ingots things end?

I haven't unlocked fairies yet. I think I need to go back and unlock night missions, I've just been running up regular.

yes, it ended on friday-> saturday rollover

Progressing through the normal and emergency mode difficulties will eventually unlock the fairies. Using that freebie command fairy will be a boon, but going down the rabbit hole chasing more fairies may be too expensive for now.

Running the chapter 1 night missions will be nice to give yourself a taste of what they're like before Cube+ starts next week.

I'm afraid that the voucher event did end. The voucher shop will remain open for another week. I wouldn't fret about missing out on those prizes. They're all nice things to have but nothing super critical. TAC-50 is a bamboo rifle, so she generally goes into niche dedicated boss hunter echelons that generally perform poorly in standard combat. Her skill has high damage potential but the way it works can make aiming it properly tricky with the tight timing windows necessary to nuke a boss without them entering an animation where they're invulnerable. IMO there's a very good chance that she'll be made available again before you even get around to leveling up something as niche as a bamboo team.

3DS Friend Code:
    Yeah, if I'd started earlier I'd have gotten her. Maybe even just two days. Oh well! I'll just buy tokens since I need some comfort points.

• RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Is that voucher currency going to be used again or should we just spend all that we got? I, too, was a day short of getting TAC-50.

I've never seen voucher currency be reused. It's always been something different.

3DS Friend Code:
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Well at least I got a pudgy little fluff ball out of it

• chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think I was looking at the time the event shop was open and not the time till the event ended. Now I have 96 of those event items, but nothing to spend them on.

Also, finally figured out how to gift, but I now can't find the unit in the form I want to give the orders too. Is there some way in a menu that I can give gifts? Or to make the unit show up in the dorm?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    Yeah, I think I was looking at the time the event shop was open and not the time till the event ended. Now I have 96 of those event items, but nothing to spend them on.

Also, finally figured out how to gift, but I now can't find the unit in the form I want to give the orders too. Is there some way in a menu that I can give gifts? Or to make the unit show up in the dorm?

units show in the dorm corresponding to your echelon formations

echelon 1 is in dorm 1, echelon 2 is in dorm 2, so on and so forth

so you have to assign units you want to gift to echelon #s you have a dorm for for them to appear there

Reminder that Cube+ starts on Tuesday. Girls' Frontline Corner has a far more in depth guide to the event's chapters than what I'll be typing out here: https://www.gflcorner.com/operation-cube/

Some very basics that you will want:
    *Handguns.: You'll need to put a handgun in your echelons in order to provide vision of adjacent nodes in the fog of war. It doesn't really matter which ones that you use, but ideally they'll be handguns with tile buffs and buff skills that will boost your DPS.
    *Nightvision gear: Your ARs should have PEQs in their scope equipment slot to mitigate the accuracy penalty from night battles.
    *AP rounds: You will encounter armored enemies in night missions. These early missions don't feature many enemies that are heavily armored, but some AP rounds still help. Ideally you'll have a squad capable of taking on more heavily armored enemies. M14 is a superbly strong rifle that's a level up reward. SVD is a great 4* if you have been lucky enough to craft her. SV-98 or G43 are usable too in a pinch as early game rifles. G43's skill is more effective during night battles, so that partially offsets her relatively poor statline.
    *Extra echelons with handguns: Maintaining map control and vision of the battlefield is important. You'll want to deploy whatever you can even if the weak squads will just end up avoiding fights. Their presence will provide vision to help you better direct your combat worthy echelon, and extra action points to get your combat echelon into position.

If you've unlocked night maps for the game's earlier chapters, then you may want to dip your toe into them before tuesday so that you're familiar with the basics. Night maps also drop equipment as loot rather than dolls. It's mostly low rarity loot that's primarily good for enhancing your good crafted equipment, if any of your dolls have empty equipment slots then running a few night battles will help put SOMETHING in those slots.

3DS Friend Code:
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Man, I've gotten a couple 4* stars now, and I had a Howa 56 that came out the factory (which I was like, I'm not likely to have many 5*'s, I'll use cores on her, only the once) but now I've got

64 Shiki
    FAL
    SR-3MP

UMP9
    Type 56-1
    M4A1
    Gr MP5

And I'm not sure who I should be linking, or just avoid linking.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Brody wrote: »
    Man, I've gotten a couple 4* stars now, and I had a Howa 56 that came out the factory (which I was like, I'm not likely to have many 5*'s, I'll use cores on her, only the once) but now I've got

64 Shiki
    FAL
    SR-3MP

UMP9
    Type 56-1
    M4A1
    Gr MP5

@Brody I like using the google doc spreadsheet from girls frontline corner to as a basic barometer for viewing the relative power of each doll. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10LJdksnM3zipOb72IneJD7WVp3765JYJEGg0LnodzDI/

Again, I recommend focusing almost all of your cores towards leveling up one squad until it is all x5 linked or at least x4 linked. Once you have one squad that's this strong, then you can level up pretty much whatever you want since the workhorse team can always just farm more cores.

Using your list of 5* and 4* units, I would probably use the following in a team. I'll be placing them in an 'F' formation, with numpad notation describing their positions.

*For the main tank, I'd recommend using UMP9 in position 5. She's a pretty good main tank, although she's a bit overshadowed by UMP45 or RO635. She's certainly an upgrade over Sten though.
    *As an offtank for position 8, I'd recommend using an SMG with an offensive skill that buffs at least the tile directly behind her. While Shrimp technically fits the bill, but she needs good buffs, lots of links, and good equipment to shine. Instead I'd recommend using someone like Skorpion or PPS-43. Maybe MP40 if you're missing those 3*'s.
    *For one of your DPS ARs, I'd run M4A1 in position 4. As you may have noticed, she's unique in that she is one of the only ARs that buffs other ARs. So by placing her in position 4 she will buff your other DPS ARs in positions 7 and 1.
    *You didn't mention her, but I would consider running AR-15 in position 7. She's given to you as a reward for completing 3-6. She needs her exclusive rifle ammo to really shine, but not many ARs can surpass her DPS.
    *If you really want to use one of your 5*'s, FAL would be a nice fit for position 1. She'll provide an evasion boost for your main tank, and can provide additional AOE damage to the battle several seconds in if there are simply too many enemies on the field to knock down with direct fire in a timely manner. Alternatively FNC would be a good budget option for this slot as a 3* AR, or even F2000 as an extreme budget 2* AR. If you've already invested in Type 56 a bit, then you could also use her here as well if you'd like.

So the final formation would look something like this:
    sp9t046t0gm9.jpg

Again, this is just a suggestion. I think that the above would provide more than adequate performance as a workhorse squad. Also, I want to emphasis again that it isn't really imperative to use the absolute strongest dolls. If you like a doll, then you can probably invest in her and make her capable of adequately performing in her role. MP5 is widely viewed as the weakest of the invulnerability shield SMGs. Thompson and G36c perform better than MP5 in most situations, but often you could get away with make using MP5 in that role if you really wanted to.

3DS Friend Code:
    Mkay. I haven't gotten through 3-x yet, just got M4A1, just felt like I had already jumped the gun a bit on Howa Type 56.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

It's there a particular reason for the F formation rather than a C? With the team I've got it seems to me that they provide better buff coverage as a C.

edited July 2019
    It's there a particular reason for the F formation rather than a C? With the team I've got it seems to me that they provide better buff coverage as a C.

The "F" or "b" formations are most commonly picked because enemies will just charge forward until they reach someone in their targeting range
    Having a tank at 5 means you have the most coverage in terms of intercepting enemies moving forward and having them target your tank, protecting your backline. With a C formation enemies would move forward and start targeting whoever you have at 4, who is usually a dps or buffer.

Orphane on
    With a C formation, you could immediately move your tank up into an F formation once the battle begins to try to get the best of both worlds.

F formation is preferred over b formation because it's better at maintaining enemy attention on the main tank due to how the target acquisition algorithm works.

3DS Friend Code:
    Do the buffs lock at battle start, or do they change if you have someone move mid-battle?

Additional question: Since training takes so long I've been trying to train my main characters during downtime like overnight. So during the day I'm trying to train up 4s and 5s I pulled that I'm not really using yet under the theory that I'll probably use them eventually.

For the special event, armor is really kicking my ass. My farm team can easily sub in an HG, but we don't have any reliable AP. I guess I need to make a rifle and train her up ASAP.

edited July 2019
    Additional question: Since training takes so long I've been trying to train my main characters during downtime like overnight. So during the day I'm trying to train up 4s and 5s I pulled that I'm not really using yet under the theory that I'll probably use them eventually.

For the special event, armor is really kicking my ass. My farm team can easily sub in an HG, but we don't have any reliable AP. I guess I need to make a rifle and train her up ASAP.

m14 is your steadfast and loyal 5* masquerading as a 3* RF

i don't remember the account level up rewards but you should get a bunch of her for easy duping

Orphane on
    Brody wrote: »

64 Shiki
    FAL
    SR-3MP

UMP9
    Type 56-1
    M4A1
    Gr MP5

i would recommend raising FAL over 64 Shiki

64 Shiki's skill is finicky at worst and too variable to rely on compared to plain self-buff ARs imo. With FAL her nades are good enough to carry early game and she transitions to being an anti-scout/night/corpse dragger later on, so she at least always has something she can do.

So, for Cube+ I think I'm looking at probably 1x AR, 1x HG, 1x RF and 2x SMG on my core team if I understand correctly. Because I need the AP from the rifle and vision from the HG?

Then some support squads with HG for map visibility.

If you want to try to squeeze everything into one squad, then you might be better off with the handgun chilling out in the offtank position while running three DPS units. A lot of people split up their squads into anti-armor and anti-evasion squads.

As for buff tiles, the buffs lock in at the start of combat but some skills care about who is on the unit's tiles at the time of activation. Ribeyrolles immediately springs to mind as one such example.

3DS Friend Code:
    edited July 2019
    Want to make sure I'm reading this right.

I need another M14 to link. I should be crafting the recipe 300, 30, 300, 30, yes?

Darkewolfe on
    I didn't understand how you could possibly run out of resources, I never came close.

And now I understand. Please, giev ammo

up until you lost you were winning

edited July 2019
    Want to make sure I'm reading this right.

She is a G41 which is a German assault rifle cored to the NATO standard. It is no longer in service.

I need another M14 to link. I should be crafting the recipe 300, 30, 300, 30, yes?

I think the M14 was a US rifle used in the early years of Vietnam, based on improvements to the M1 Garand before being replaced fairly quickly with the M16.

I thought the main AR recipe was 90 400 400 30?

I just picked one of the 5* results that someone had crafted recently and favorited it so it always shows up.

Edit: duh, the AR recipe does nothing for making an M14... I didn't sleep much last night.

Brody on

edited July 2019
    Holy shit I copy pasted the wrong there for some reason. Was supposed to be a link to the crafting page. Instead of copying in the crafting page I dropped a paragraph trying to explain the game to a friend. Lol.

https://en.gfwiki.com/wiki/T-Doll_Production

According to this, I think, 300 30 300 30 can get my M14. I think.

Darkewolfe on
    There is a list of reccomeded recipes in the crafting menu as well.

3DS Friend Code:
    Yeah but this is specifically below the recommended recipe threshold. I believe the idea is that you can't craft certain things therefore increasing the odds of what you're seeking?

That's the idea, but there's always some overlap. I don't consult the wiki much. Usually I either stick with the reccomended recipe list, copy someone else's recipe who has succeeded at crafting the target unit, or consult one of the databases of crafting results that some of the Chinese/Korean player communities. The later is mostly voodoo and superstition territory due to the low sample sizes that do not lend much confidence to their results. They like making use of the number 404 in their recipes whenever possible :p

3DS Friend Code:
    Fair enough.

Also, I am falling flat on my face in the night battles. I need another M14 to clone her up, because armor just destroys me.