As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Girls' Frontline [GFL]: Longitudinal Strain Story event is live

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    @CrimsonJazz
    The risk of core hell is mostly from overindulgence in 5* units and abandoning projects halfway through after already investing many cores into it. You'll have enough budget to level vector and G11, and probably a 4* or two. Your secondary team should likely consist of 2*'s and 3*s. Once your first team is 5x linked, or at least capable of clearing 0-2, then you're pretty much golden and can invest in whatever you want.

You may want to roll for more SMGS to get a top tier main tank like ump45 or her slightly weaker sister ump9

@Brody neither fairy talent is ideal, but I wouldn't worry about the talent much. I'd either merge them now to get them closer to upgrading to 2* rarity and better passive stats, or stockpile them in the hopes that you craft a better talent warrior fairy later.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Ahahahahahahahahahaha! STAR-15 is now 5x!

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    The VA-11 Hall-A collaboration event starts tomorrow. Note that there is an event currency that's farmable from clearing the maps. According to the notice in-game, normal stages reward 6-10 "white knight's armor fragments" per run while the harder Ex stages reward "10-15" per run. Up to 60 fragments can be obtained every day. If possible, max out your fragment income to maximize your event goodies.

3DS Friend Code:
  • OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Servers are up! Here we go lads

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    This is a pretty weird event. I like that it's different, it's just very strange.

What is this I don't even.
    Do you want to be using/leveling Dana? Does she go away at the end of the event? I can't decide if I should give her beer.

• chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Do you want to be using/leveling Dana? Does she go away at the end of the event? I can't decide if I should give her beer.

I wouldn't think she goes away, I think all the event dolls stay.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett

All of the Extra dolls will be permanently part of your roster. IIRC, Dana isn't particularly notable as a SG, but also, she's a SG, so if you don't have one yet, can fill that gap.

Also, Illumination Fairy GET!

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

Brody wrote: »

All of the Extra dolls will be permanently part of your roster. IIRC, Dana isn't particularly notable as a SG, but also, she's a SG, so if you don't have one yet, can fill that gap.

Also, Illumination Fairy GET!

I have one shotgun and I don't know if I have a shotgun gap necessarily, since... why do I really need a shotgun at all right now?

I could just use these free beers on the other folks I've been working on leveling I suppose? That might make more sense.

I think the point of the beers was to speed level Jill once you unlock her. It sounds like she has an ability with special effects on certain event enemies.

I rolled a few times on the gacha and unlocked Jill's costume, which I think is some kind of magical girl outfit. I haven't had a chance to play the event yet. I will aftet work.

3DS Friend Code:
    Its definitely got a lot of story stuff to read through. Which I normally wouldn't mind, but it looks really interesting, and I'd like to do it, but I also have to get work done.

If you're really concerned about timing, the third mission in requiers no action other than hitting end turn over and over to complete, which would be a good way for attention constrained players or players without good dolls to farm dailies.

After some research, for us relatively new players: Shotguns are something you need two of and then plan a shotgun squad. As far as I can tell, if you lack three combat-worthy squads of any composition (including at least one rifle squad) the beer might be better spent on just getting your core squads going?

Something has gone very ... weird.

I'm playing a gatcha game for the story...

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    Is there supposed to be a trick to E1-2? Cause I wasn't worried loading up (lists 2k as suggested power level), and then its like BAM! 10k strong Mantis(?)!

• BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    After some research, for us relatively new players: Shotguns are something you need two of and then plan a shotgun squad. As far as I can tell, if you lack three combat-worthy squads of any composition (including at least one rifle squad) the beer might be better spent on just getting your core squads going?

I think shotguns are similar to SMGs but rather than evade have armor which reduces damage. So probably better for certain bosses?

Also, they pair up with MGs, so again, probably an equivilant but different set up compared to AR/SMG.

After getting Dana as my first shotgun, the game decided it was time to spit out two more through heavy build. So I guess I can actually use some of those MGs that have been sitting idle. (Not that I have the ammo to spare).

Are any of these event Valhalla girls going to be important/useful after the event?

Brody wrote: »
    Is there supposed to be a trick to E1-2? Cause I wasn't worried loading up (lists 2k as suggested power level), and then its like BAM! 10k strong Mantis(?)!

I think you're just supposed to dodge the big dudes.

Bluecyan wrote: »

I think shotguns are similar to SMGs but rather than evade have armor which reduces damage. So probably better for certain bosses?

Also, they pair up with MGs, so again, probably an equivilant but different set up compared to AR/SMG.

After getting Dana as my first shotgun, the game decided it was time to spit out two more through heavy build. So I guess I can actually use some of those MGs that have been sitting idle. (Not that I have the ammo to spare).

Are any of these event Valhalla girls going to be important/useful after the event?

Just for reference, (I'm not sure where you guys are at), but I've gotten through the first 7 chapters, and I've not needed a SG/MG echelon, but as Armchair and others have mentioned, you'll need one eventually, so its good to collect them (albeit slowly). I think the standard formation for an SGMG formation are 1 SG in the middle front (6 if you're looking at a numpad), two HGs behind her (4 and 5) and then 2 MGs in the corners (7 and 1). Apparently at some future time, a 2 SGs formation may be useful for certain battles, but at this point, I don't think we need to worry about them?

• MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    I'm really enjoying the bartending bits between the story maps.

Apparently, in the far future... Wrestling is a restricted act! I'm guessing this is a Va11 halla reference?

To be honest, I liked the bartending mini-game enough that I picked up Va-11 Hall-a to get more of it. I only just started, but at some point I can make a list of plot points from there. Because I'm several missions into the GFL stuff and what comes from which 'verse is confusing as heck, as I'm not super-familiar with either setting.

Oh, but the one thing that is very important: Karmotrine is the alcohol ingredient. The more there is of it in a drink, the stronger it is. And at least in Valhalla, when a drink is Karmotrine optional, you can put in as much or little as you want. So if I understand correctly, innocent little Sugar Rush can be 10 Karmotrine and consequently monstrously strong.

Completely irrelevant, I know, but kinda funny.

edited August 2019
    Bluecyan wrote: »

Just for reference, (I'm not sure where you guys are at), but I've gotten through the first 7 chapters, and I've not needed a SG/MG echelon, but as Armchair and others have mentioned, you'll need one eventually, so its good to collect them (albeit slowly). I think the standard formation for an SGMG formation are 1 SG in the middle front (6 if you're looking at a numpad), two HGs behind her (4 and 5) and then 2 MGs in the corners (7 and 1). Apparently at some future time, a 2 SGs formation may be useful for certain battles, but at this point, I don't think we need to worry about them?

the traditional SG formations are 1 SG 1 HG 3 MG or 2 SG 1 HG 2 MG - 1 SG 3 MG is for offensive output and 2 SG 2MG is for defense/special bosses like Judge

1 SG 1 HG 3 MG:
    xgkukl8625oh.png

2 SG 1 HG 2 MG:

dr146g5xfqgb.png

Orphane on
    in regards to the collab without getting into spoilers or whatever: the bartending minigame seems to be one scenario, more of a mashup between universes, and the story unfolding in the event stages seems to be a completely original story using the characters from both games

both of them contain references to va11 hall-a but you don't really have to have played va11 hall-a

Absolutely none of the story is GFL canon, I think?

HAHAHA, I just started playing the event. That backstory sounds like the backstory of GFL as written by the fairies!

3DS Friend Code:
    Well, just from the first couple missions, this either takes place in an alternate timeline, or far in the future. I have no idea what "canon" means in this context.

Also, if you cleared the "Chicken Breast" chapter:
    I can't believe they made me like IDW?! What the hell, game! ;)

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Doing e1-4 and one of the 2500 strength mech units seems to be the same power as the 200000 strength lethal unit?
    Which is keeping me from completing the map
    I cleared everything including the other 2500 strength mech unit on the map
    No idea what is going onnnn

Bless your heart.
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Went back in and instagibbed it
    So confused

Bless your heart.
    Well, at least farming E1-5 for Sei is... a short trip each time...

I wish that I could delve straight into the harder difficulties to speed up the voucher grind. But there's a lot of text, which is far from a bad thing but I don't have time to savor it right now so I'm stuck just grinding out the easy maps to cap out my voucher supply for today.

3DS Friend Code:
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's a lot of text in between missions with the Cafe section required between them in addition to longer pre-mission segments.

The writing in the event has been pretty top notch

I haven't skipped any dialogue even though I was short on time today; I need to do the 2nd clear of The Last Rain to get Jill but it was worth reading everything

I don't mind that the game is able to deliver multiple types of experience. The occasional story heavy event is interesting if it isn't all the time.

Also, I'm really liking the event for having a couple actual puzzles, at least compared to what I'd seen so far.

I don't mind that the game is able to deliver multiple types of experience. The occasional story heavy event is interesting if it isn't all the time.

Also, I'm really liking the event for having a couple actual puzzles, at least compared to what I'd seen so far.

I like the story stuff, I just wish it was all handled separately from the progression through the maps. I feel like it would be easier to enjoy if I wasn't instead impatient to get the various mission bits done.

• CrimsonJazzCrimsonJazz Registered User regular
    When you have little time to farm and the text is heavy, but the story is good... The struggle is real.

PD: WTF is wrong with the 1-2 ending (event) I came here for my waifus not to feel TwT!

edited August 2019
    This game has buckets of feels.

Be sure to give your dolls comfy dorms, gifts, and headpats since you're their shining light in this world.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    edited August 2019
    Also, holy shit E1-6 is kicking my ass. Is there also a way to sneak around this one? I'm starting to worry about my chances of acquiring Jill.

Edit: Is there a way to check and see what the drop rates from a specific mob in a map are?

Brody on

• CrimsonJazzCrimsonJazz Registered User regular
    This a very complete guide: www.gflcorner.com/girls-frontline-x-va11-hall-a-collaboration-guide-by-gfc/
    Give it a try.