As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

FDA says that Vitamins cause Prostate Cancer, I call BS

Squirrel NinjaSquirrel Ninja Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
A report came out on many news stations and papers today saying that the FDA has completed a study that claims taking "too many vitamins may increase men's risk of prostate cancer. Does anyone else think this is a scare tactic that the FDA is throwing out in an attempt to decrease the sale of vitamins, off which they make no profit, and further promote drug use, off of which they make a cut. It wouldnt be the first time they tried to pull crap like this:
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55370
http://www.newswithviews.com/guest_opinion/guest60.htm
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=health&res=9F0CE6DF103EF936A25755C0A965958260
Todays News:
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1621240,00.html

The FDA has been over steeping it's authority through the corruption of the American legislature. They take an anything goes attitude in regards to food additives as long as the price is right, and as a publicly traded company, there main agenda is the needs of the stockholders, not the safety of the American people.

Edit: (SP) in subject line

Squirrel Ninja on

• Options
    Dominic DragonDominic Dragon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    One thing is for sure, there isn't enough research being done about prostate cancer.

Dominic Dragon on
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I believe you were looking for this thread.

It was posted in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute.
    article wrote:
    Still, "the findings lend further credence to the possibility of harm associated with increased use of supplements," Dr. Christian Gluud of Copenhagen University Hospital and Dr. Goran Bjelakovic of Serbia's University of Nis wrote in an accompanying editorial.
    What do they have to do with the FDA?

Glaeal on
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Some people take vitamins
    Some people get prostate cancer
    OMG PEOPLE WHO TAKE VITAMINS GET PROSTATE CANCER!!!1!!!one!!1!!

Picardathon on
  • Options
    Squirrel NinjaSquirrel Ninja Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Controversy

The previous Director of the Institute is Dr. Andrew von Eschenbach, who has been tapped by the administration to head the FDA replacing Lester Crawford. The NCI, in partnership with pharmaceutical companies, funds research into new drugs. These drugs may appear before the FDA for approval, and some anticipate that the FDA cannot be impartial if its head has an interest in seeing the drug approved because of another relationship.

According to the Center for American Progress, shortly after Dr. Eschenbach was appointed Director in 2002, he changed an informational fact sheet on breast cancer on the NCI site which for years had stated that there was no causal link between abortion and breast cancer. The new text said that "tests disproving the abortion - breast cancer link are inconclusive." One hundred NCI scientists signed a statement taking issue with that change, citing many studies, none of which found any such causal link. Dr. Eschenbach eventually relented and the original text in the fact sheet was restored.

Squirrel Ninja on
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Controversy

The previous Director of the Institute is Dr. Andrew von Eschenbach, who has been tapped by the administration to head the FDA replacing Lester Crawford. The NCI, in partnership with pharmaceutical companies, funds research into new drugs. These drugs may appear before the FDA for approval, and some anticipate that the FDA cannot be impartial if its head has an interest in seeing the drug approved because of another relationship.

According to the Center for American Progress, shortly after Dr. Eschenbach was appointed Director in 2002, he changed an informational fact sheet on breast cancer on the NCI site which for years had stated that there was no causal link between abortion and breast cancer. The new text said that "tests disproving the abortion - breast cancer link are inconclusive." One hundred NCI scientists signed a statement taking issue with that change, citing many studies, none of which found any such causal link. Dr. Eschenbach eventually relented and the original text in the fact sheet was restored.

That's criticizing the FDA, not the NCI.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    A report came out on many news stations and papers today saying that the FDA has completed a study that claims taking "too many vitamins may increase men's risk of prostate cancer. Does anyone else think this is a scare tactic that the FDA is throwing out in an attempt to decrease the sale of vitamins, off which they make no profit, and further promote drug use, off of which they make a cut. It wouldnt be the first time they tried to pull crap like this:
    http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55370
    http://www.newswithviews.com/guest_opinion/guest60.htm
    http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=health&res=9F0CE6DF103EF936A25755C0A965958260
    Todays News:
    http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1621240,00.html

The FDA has been over steeping it's authority through the corruption of the American legislature. They take an anything goes attitude in regards to food additives as long as the price is right, and as a publicly traded company, there main agenda is the needs of the stockholders, not the safety of the American people.

Edit: (SP) in subject line

Your understanding of the FDA is incredibly disconnected from reality.

First off, they're not a publically traded company. They're a governmental agency.
    Second, they don't make a profit. See above.
    Third, it's not the FDA that's drawing a link between multivitamins and cancer, it's the NCI.
    Fourth, do you have any evidence to suggest that the NCI study is wrong?
    Fifth, the FDA does not make a "cut" off of drug use. They receive fees from pharmaceutical companies to cover fast-track drug approval expenses. This is a controversial practice, but it is not the same as making a "cut."
    Sixth, if the proposed changes to the FDA were to go through, they would gain some regulatory power over vitamins. This would cost them money, unless they collected fees from the supplement industry (see my fifth point above), in which case it would not be in their best interest to limit supplement sales unnecessarily.
    Seventh, I think you want the thread that Glael linked.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I heard that cancer and vitamins could be linked quite awhile ago.

It's not exactly surprising, considering cancer is just cells, and cells tend to like vitamins.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I heard that cancer and vitamins could be linked quite awhile ago.

It's not exactly surprising, considering cancer is just cells, and cells tend to like vitamins.

Too much of a vitamin or the wrong proportion of vitamins can cause disease, too, and most first world citizens who eat an average diet get almost all of the vitamins they need just from food. the majority of healthy first-worlders do not need to take a full multivitamin every day. (I take a half of a vitamin only if I've been undereating or eating poorly.) Besides, vitamin supplements can interfere with the absorption and action of certain drugs. Since the the particular form of cancer involved was advanced, I'm wondering if the issue is not that the vitamins caused the cancer, but merely sped the progression to advanced/fatal cancer or interfered with other therapies the men were on to combat the cancer.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So you need these experts to determine whether these drugs are safe.
    It just so happens that these guys that are experts in pharmacy, and as such invest in pharmacy and have ties with drug companies, are the perfect guys to determine the safety of these drugs.

Tryptophan (naturally occuring, necessary to produce serotonin) suppliments kill people. Illegal to sell.
    The tryptophan that ACTUALLY caused deaths was from a batch made in Asia with shitty lab practices?
    Naw.
    Go go SSRI!!!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prozac

TL DR on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2007
    This just in: Everything causes cancer.

If excessive use of vitamins causes some form of cancer, I won't be terribly surprised. The conspiracy portion of this thread, though, is pretty silly.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    A dude on PBS was making a link between having too much protein in your diet and cancer. How long until they figure breathing polluted air causes cancer?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm really happy that someone trustworthy like Squirrel Ninja is here to expose the lies of the National Cancer Institute. I've always said that doctors have way too much to gain from disease to not be secretly working against us.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Doctors are the third leading cause of death in America. Why would I want to believe them anyways?

Crayon on
  • Options
    imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Crayon wrote: »
    Doctors are the third leading cause of death in America. Why would I want to believe them anyways?

Because their spokesperson is the first leading cause of death, Chuck Norris!

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2007
    I hear that being born has a 100% mortality rate. Someone should look into that.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I hear that being born has a 100% mortality rate. Someone should look into that.

Actually that's only 99.9% because actor Gary Johnston on Team America promised he'd never die.

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    That study isn't about vitamins causing cancer. It's about vitamins causing death from cancer, which is a completely different thing. It makes perfect sense, and the opposite result would be surprising: tumor cells need good nutrition to reach their full proliferation potential. It's been shown long ago that malnutrition slows down the growth of tumors in mice.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So he fails at being both a squirrel, and a ninja?
    I remember reading a good six years back that there was a link between people who took megadoses of vitamin C (more than five grams a day) and increased risk of cancer.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Man what's up with prostates these days?! Always looking for an excuse to cancer it up :(. Someone needs to put them in their place.

Ant000 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    It just so happens that these guys that are experts in pharmacy, and as such invest in pharmacy and have ties with drug companies, are the perfect guys to determine the safety of these drugs.

Vitamin supplements come from magical communist fairies who want to shower the world with nutritious pixie dust just from the goodness of their hearts, and not from yet another multibillion dollar corporate industry driven by its own profit motive. Which is great, because that means we don't need to worry about regulating the supplement industry at all, since we can just take it on faith that they're totally honest about the purity and efficacy of their products.

Feral on

• Options
    edited May 2007
    Actually, on second thought, maybe Hurt and Burn is right. Maybe we shouldn't have people with ties to the pharmacy industry regulating products. Naw, people who have worked in pharma and are experts on the subject couldn't possibly be the best people to approve new drugs. Instead, maybe we recruit people who have as little experience in pharma as humanly possible for the FDA. Like, say, kindergarteners. Or maybe hippies.

I've got a better idea. Maybe we should go ahead and keep pharma professionals in the FDA, but institute an oversight committee and objective standards defining what does and does not constitute a conflict of interest. Oh shits, somebody beat me to it.

Feral on

• Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    Actually, on second thought, maybe Hurt and Burn is right. Maybe we shouldn't have people with ties to the pharmacy industry regulating products. Naw, people who have worked in pharma and are experts on the subject couldn't possibly be the best people to approve new drugs. Instead, maybe we recruit people who have as little experience in pharma as humanly possible for the FDA. Like, say, kindergarteners. Or maybe hippies.

I've got a better idea. Maybe we should go ahead and keep pharma professionals in the FDA, but institute an oversight committee and objective standards defining what does and does not constitute a conflict of interest. Oh shits, somebody beat me to it.

Case closed then!

Sounds completely fucking foolproof to me!

Endomatic on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Endomatic wrote: »

Got a better idea?

Feral on

• Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    Endomatic wrote: »

Got a better idea?

Off the top of my head, no. But once you get pharma people into THAT, then it's just back to square one.... potentially.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Ant000 wrote: »
    Man what's up with prostates these days?! Always looking for an excuse to cancer it up :(. Someone needs to put them in their place.

It's the most common form of cancer.

Doc on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    Didn't they link masturbation to reducing the risk of prostate cancer? Or was that just a joke?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Didn't they link masturbation to reducing the risk of prostate cancer? Or was that just a joke?

Not masturbation specifically, but ejaculation in general, yeah.

Doc on
  • Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited May 2007
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

No, I'm pretty sure that was for real. I could like, do a search to dredge up some articles or some shit, but that would take effort.

If I recall correctly, 5 times a week was minimum necessary to see benefits.

I just wonder how the fuck they found a control group of men who didn't jerk it at least five times a week.

Oh, and I think sex counts too. Anything that presses your buzzer, if you get my drift.

For those who don't:
    ejaculation

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Man, it would suck to be in the control group

Anarchy Rules! on