As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Kids] are the best of times, the worst of times

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Y'allllll

all of a sudden, she's a big kid.

there was a 'surfing simulator' thing at the mall today. and she's fascinated by it. so we stand and watch these kids on it, and they're like 10 or 11. and this one girl is just rocking it out, spinning in circles hanging ten, crouching and things.

my little miss jumps up there and rides on that surfboard and actually manages to do a full spin around once. and she crouches down really low like the guy running it tells her to, and she does a hang ten.

then the guy is all 'do you want to rid a it faster and try it again?" and she shake her head, but is grinning like crazy.

Man. I have never been more amazed at this child.

edit: hope this works
    https://www.instagram.com/tv/CCztspLhO_Z/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Toby didn't want to go to sleep. So he switched the TV to Pandora, and then to his "dancing music" station. Which is basically all of this current pop/rock music, seeded from Walk The Moon, because I used to dance with him a lot to "Shut Up And Dance". Well, he drags me to the center of the living room and basically climbs me then essentially bops up and down in my arms until I "dance" with him (note, I "dance" like a white guy with an unwieldy weight in my arms because . . . well . . . yes), mainly spinning around and "dipping" him. And I'm very close to death after a song and a half because I'm horribly out of shape and I say no to more dancing, and then I suggest that he could dance by himself as i set him down.

Now, refresher, he doesn't talk much at all. More sounds and looks that words, words are sparse.

So, I set him down, I suggest he could dance by himself as I fall down onto the couch, and he says, "Not-wit-ouch-you, dada."

*blink blink* Me: "Not without me, huh?"

Him: "Yup!"

Me: "Well, I think you can dance by yourself."

Him: *grumpy/exasperated sigh* "Nah."

Y'all, I've got a teenager/toddler.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Every time I feel Sapling no these days, there is deeply exasperated sigh, and I have to try really hard not to giggle at it.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    The hardest part, no, most annoying part of the resisting bedtime is the forcing herself to cry.

Like I can hear you starting it. I can hear the whimper, the trying to get the breathing just right. I know what you're doing.

It's so frustrating.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Ripley, 2.5, has become a total dick about brushing her teeth.

We have her brush then finish for her with actual brushing, but now she just walks around with the toothbrush no actual brushing happens.

To try and get her to do it I've been trying to use a timeout or wait for her to say she's ready for one of us to brush her teeth and finish before flossing.

But now she just takes the timeout and sits there waiting me out while I'm trying to wait her out and I'm pretty sure she has the upper hand here.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    We've had some success with saying "let's check for sugarbugs" then excitedly grabbing the toothbrush when we "spot one"

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Speaking of brushing teeth, what's the recommendations you your all areas of the world regarding when to start with toothpaste and toothpaste with flouride?

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Speaking of brushing teeth, what's the recommendations you your all areas of the world regarding when to start with toothpaste and toothpaste with flouride?

Proper toothpaste when they get their adult teeth. Fluoride from the get go (its also in all toddler-toothpaste here)

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    My youngest has taken an interest in Jim Henson's Labyrinth, which resulted in this conversation today with my older daughter and wife:

Wife: "boy, when I was 14 I would certainly have tried to get my little brothers and sisters to go away with 'I wish!'

Daughter: "yeah, but I'd do it just to get David Bowie to visit me!"

Me: heh.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Tried to nap with Tiny Wonder while I threw on Ratatouille for the boys. Under a blanket, back to the TV, clearly attempting to soak up some rest. So naturally, for one straight hour, Middle Guy went "Dad, look at me. Look at me, dad! Dad. Daddy. Daaaaad. Look dad. Dad look. Look, dad. Dad, you're not looking. Dad, see this! Daaaaad."

Another semester of this is gonna be *r-o-u-g-h*

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »
    Tried to nap with Tiny Wonder while I threw on Ratatouille for the boys. Under a blanket, back to the TV, clearly attempting to soak up some rest. So naturally, for one straight hour, Middle Guy went "Dad, look at me. Look at me, dad! Dad. Daddy. Daaaaad. Look dad. Dad look. Look, dad. Dad, you're not looking. Dad, see this! Daaaaad."

Another semester of this is gonna be *r-o-u-g-h*

. . . sometimes I'm glad my tiny one doesn't talk a ton.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    My niece is unironically like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt6GFdzLoZA

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    After a week of really bad sleep he's finally settled and I've managed to get a decent stretch of sleep without interruption.

Yet I feel worse! :P

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »

Proper toothpaste when they get their adult teeth. Fluoride from the get go (its also in all toddler-toothpaste here)

I don't know what "proper toothpaste" is, but yeah, basically brushing with toothpaste from the very first tooth. I can't remember exactly if there was a time when not to use flouride toothpaste, but you should be using it pretty early. At least by 2? I think I remember earlier.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Proper toothpaste as in not-sweetened. Not sure whether the toddler stuff is actually worse than regular stuff, but it tastes sweet so it probably is.

• Options
    Proper toothpaste as in not-sweetened. Not sure whether the toddler stuff is actually worse than regular stuff, but it tastes sweet so it probably is.

Like.... not mint flavored or whatever?

I'm not sure I am an adult :P

Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »

Yeah, it barely tastes of mint? It's mild enough taste that they don't have to rinse their mouth afterwards. My kid likes the taste of this one https://www.jumbo.com/prodent-kids-0-6-jr-tandpasta-woezel--pip-75ml/208970STK/

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Kate just went to the dentist for a check up. They said to keep her on “kids” toothpaste. But since I’m on a well, she’s now drinking some of the fluoride water bottles to give her some fluoride.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    kime wrote: »

Yeah, it barely tastes of mint? It's mild enough taste that they don't have to rinse their mouth afterwards. My kid likes the taste of this one https://www.jumbo.com/prodent-kids-0-6-jr-tandpasta-woezel--pip-75ml/208970STK/

I thought you rinsed to not have lingering fluoride. Either way nope I'm not an adult

Steam profile
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    The most common recommendation I encountered was to switch to fluoride toothpaste as soon as you're confident they won't just swallow it instead of spitting.

• Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    My 13-month old has been this way for a while, where he just constantly wants to be picked up and carried. Wife and I were in the kitchen cleaning up after dinner, and he's hanging off her legs whinging.

My 4 year old in the lounge room calls out "Come here [nickname]! I will help you!"

And he went.

Then she gave him part of her donut. Only after she'd licked off the icing, of course .

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Every step of that post was a relatable journey Solvent.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I've been up since 4am with a kid who thinks 4am is a perfectly good time to start dancing in her room.

(Probably could have just let her be, but the thumping around woke us up.)

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Three nights in a row, this child has fought sleep tooth and nail.

Tonight, in the fourth night, she's asleep before the third book is finished.

I simply do not understand.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Operation: Cool Gaming Uncle is a go.

We got a new TV a few days ago- cats put paid to the old one- and I wanted to see what the Switch looked like on it. So I brought it out and tried some stuff, it looks good.

This got the attention of my niece, who decided this was going to be the perfect time to decide to want to try games. So I talked with her mom, and we decided to start her on the original Super Mario. It took her a bit to pick up the buttons, but after an hour, she’s already reliably beating World 1-1 all on her own (she has a bit of trouble with the last pit, but... she’s working on 1-2 now.

Then she got a shot at Super Mario World, and she cleared a level of that (Yoshi’s Island 2) on her own.

She likes it so much we might be getting her her own Switch for her birthday, because now I can’t pry her off mine.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    i distinctly remember being good at mario aged 2.5, my parents got me a master system and game gear then a mega drive for xmas 1990 when i was 5

that was the start of my decline

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I've been up since 4am with a kid who thinks 4am is a perfectly good time to start dancing in her room.

(Probably could have just let her be, but the thumping around woke us up.)

When I was 3-4 I was called the One Man Rodeo by my brother who shared the room with me, due to middle of the night antics. I'm going to cross my fingers that my son didn't acquire that gene from me.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

My shoulders and arms have been getting a hell of a workout from Boing.

Boing is when she stands on couch and gets a Dad-assisted bounce that lets her touch the ceiling.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    ip8e26j5fa44.jpg

My boy is such a gentle soul. He's been putting his stuffed animals to bed after he wakes up. I hope the world doesn't drive too much of that kindness out of him.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Any of y'all fuck with those hiking backpack carriers for kids? What do you think of them?

These things: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-hiking-baby-carriers/

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Solvent wrote: »
    My 13-month old has been this way for a while, where he just constantly wants to be picked up and carried. Wife and I were in the kitchen cleaning up after dinner, and he's hanging off her legs whinging.

My 4 year old in the lounge room calls out "Come here [nickname]! I will help you!"

And he went.

Then she gave him part of her donut. Only after she'd licked off the icing, of course .

My 14 month old is being super clingy.

He's also getting upset at various things he used to like. He likes listening to animal noises, but for the last week or so certain animals make him upset.

Same with various other loud noises.

I assume he's just generally cranky sue to teething.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    spono wrote: »
    Any of y'all fuck with those hiking backpack carriers for kids? What do you think of them?

These things: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-hiking-baby-carriers/

Buy the deuter kid comfort. Super comfy for you and them.
    Three notes:
    1. I hope you like having the back of your head messed with.
    2. 60% chance will not experience nature as they'll be passed the fuck out
    3. Prepare for demanding of their human driven chariot

• Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    It was delayed a whole bunch, but now I've jumped through all the hoops, and with neg covid tests for the whole family we should be good to go to Bangkok tonight.

One more kid than the previous intercontinental relocation, and boy does covid playing havoc with international travel not make things easier.

Two weeks quarantine in a hotel, let's see how the kids deal with that :o .

This has been a wild ride. I want to say something about how great it'll be to be closer to extended family, but I don't know when travel restrictions will ease so it might be a while before that benefit manifests.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    So, I got hit was a migraine, so while attempting to not hurl my guts in the bathroom, Mini-Muzz says, "Oh, you don't feel well mommy? You should go to bed to feel better! You can sleep in my bed!"

And so I passed out in her bed (which is newer and more comfy than mine) and was only awoken by her giving me a kiss on the elbow, 'so I'll feel better'.

I don't....I don't think I deserve my kid.

• Options
    I gave you an awesome for having a kind child, not for the migraines. I am also jealous.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Sometimes it's hard to remember that coughing existed before The Era of Covid

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Trying to get this child to practice her letters and sight words and all she says in repeat is "I know. I know.i know"

Child. You do not. I will end you.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    spono wrote: »

Buy the deuter kid comfort. Super comfy for you and them.
    Three notes:
    1. I hope you like having the back of your head messed with.
    2. 60% chance will not experience nature as they'll be passed the fuck out
    3. Prepare for demanding of their human driven chariot

I have the cheaper Clevr one, and it works OK. We don't go on hard-core all-day hikes, though. Just a casual like 2-mile morning thing every other week or so.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Today teenage Lohan is going in for all his wisdom teeth to be removed along with one extra on the top on both sides for crowding. Then, in three weeks his braces finally go on. It's a stressful time to say the least, other than the cats I don't think any of us slept well last night.