Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

PAX Unplugged 2019 Challenge Coin! Help Design It!

ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
edited June 4 in PAX Unplugged
PAX Unplugged dates are announced and tickets are on sale! It's time to start thinking about the 2019 challenge coin! I learned a lot last year, especially the dangers of epoxy coating dark coins. We won't repeat that mistake. I've learned even more since then, as I helped get PAX East's coin finished this year. It's linked it below if you want to check it out.

Last year's coin was finalized on having the convention center on the face, and dice on the reverse, and finished with a black nickel.
zfo4ghhvik8u.jpg
I think this year we may switch away from black nickel, as it can vary too much in darkness from year to year. Nickel will probably work well. It will be closer to 2017's color than 2018. It's got a slightly less silver finish which should allow the metal detail to show through. The lighter metal color will mean the colors pop more as well, avoiding the issue with the dark purple ring/dice. The coins are 1.75", smooth edged, and will NOT be epoxy coated. This means that the painted colors are potentially able to be scratched/worn, but I think after last year's issues with it obscuring all of the detail and making them too dark to appreciate we can agree it's worth it. None of the other PAX coins seem to be using epoxy, and I didn't intend for it last year, so it should be fine.

This year's coins from other PAX, if you're curious:
PAX Aus 2018
PAX South 2019
PAX East 2019
PAX West 2018

If you have any ideas for the new coin, please fill out the form I have made!
2019 PAX Unplugged Challenge Coin Idea & Interest form
If there's a particular picture you like of a landmark or something for the game side, please feel free to post it! Saves me from trying to find as many suitable ones when it's time for mockups.

Ideas unused from last year: (please still submit these if you like them using the form so I can see how much interest there is for the different designs!)
Art Museum
Independence Hall
Merchant Exchange
Reading Terminal
Rocky Statue
Skyline

DM Screen
Gaming Table
War Games
Card Games
Abstract Games

We wouldn't need to necessarily stick to any official rotation, but we've done board games (Catan 2017) and RPGs (dice set 2018) so far.

We're aiming to get the design finalized by Sept 21st, so we've got some time, but the more ideas we can bounce around, the better!

RkyXDNV.pngjswidget.php?username=ArcSyn&numitems=5&header=0&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
ArcSyn on
RILMS

• iltailta Registered User regular
    since we've done board games and rpgs, perhaps we're due to feature miniatures / mini painting. I feel like the classic is probably a Beholder, though that's pretty close to last year's RPG theme; you could just do Dude With Sword and get the point across.

facetune_16-12-2018-14-36-28-2-768x1024.jpg
    3e92389ccd063907d9f5d40aa86499ae.jpg

I'm not quite sure how to communicate the idea of "painting miniatures" in a visually interesting way that would work on a coin. A close-up of someone holding a miniature and painting it doesn't really read, and looks kind of ugly.

miniPainting.jpg

Possibly going more abstract would work -- some paint brushes and bottles, maybe some basing, artfully arranged?

vellejo-miniature-paint.jpg
    51pO7YBLBSL._SX425_.jpg
    81m7oXTtNqL._SX425_.jpg

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    ilta wrote: »
    since we've done board games and rpgs, perhaps we're due to feature miniatures / mini painting. I feel like the classic is probably a Beholder, though that's pretty close to last year's RPG theme; you could just do Dude With Sword and get the point across.
    facetune_16-12-2018-14-36-28-2-768x1024.jpg
    3e92389ccd063907d9f5d40aa86499ae.jpg

I'm not quite sure how to communicate the idea of "painting miniatures" in a visually interesting way that would work on a coin. A close-up of someone holding a miniature and painting it doesn't really read, and looks kind of ugly.

miniPainting.jpg

Possibly going more abstract would work -- some paint brushes and bottles, maybe some basing, artfully arranged?

vellejo-miniature-paint.jpg
    51pO7YBLBSL._SX425_.jpg
    81m7oXTtNqL._SX425_.jpg

We could go the comedic angle and use a picture of a mini still on the sprues and caption the bottom "*some assembly required"
    sprues_1_Front.jpg

RkyXDNV.pngjswidget.php?username=ArcSyn&numitems=5&header=0&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    edited June 4
    If there's a particular picture you like of a landmark or something for the game side, please feel free to post it! Saves me from trying to find as many suitable ones when it's time for mockups.

ArcSyn on
  • PaxRomanaPaxRomana Registered User new member
    How about going in a completely different direction for the back? I'm not a sports fan at all, but what about an eagle? Iconography is easy and clear, here is an image from wikimedia.

261px-Eagle-head-vector-image.svg.png

Plus this can tie into the whole miniatures idea, maybe going with a real eagle on the back and some mythical creature on the front.

Up for any ideas! Eagle could be good. Can't use the official logo, but a good generic eagle head or picture would work. Philly is pretty well identified with Eagles, whether you're a sports fan or not.