As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Slay the Spire] Slay the Spire 2 confirmed for EA 2025!

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I feel like I’m both getting worse and better at this game at the same time. Beating the first floor is relatively easy now. Doing anything beyond that feels very difficult.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    The trick from there is learning when you've already beaten the first floor and switching gears to beat the second floor.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Also the second act is a massive jump in difficulty. You have enemies throwing frail out, vulnerable out, you have ordinary goes who have a 100 hp, nasty status effects, the demands on your decks ability to aoe jump up, the elites are massively tougher and distinct and the hard fights aren't much easier than the elites

Act 2 is brutal.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    beat the heart for the first time (only ascension 2, but still)!

I'll have to see if I can wrangle a screenshot off the switch of the run stats

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I did finally succeed using a hybrid of the strength stacking build and armor stacking. It turns out when you have 20 strength that body slam is really good even if you only have 8 armor. Had an inflame, couple of the ones that give you strength if the enemy is attacking, and limit break, and had a couple of the 8 armor draw a card, a ghostly armor, flame barrier, and a couple upgrade body slams. Couple pommel strikes, a whirlwind, and that was good enough to scrape by. I think part of the victory was drawing the time eater as the final boss. The shapes are so hard.

Now onto the ascensions.

• Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    beat the heart for the first time (only ascension 2, but still)!

I'll have to see if I can wrangle a screenshot off the switch of the run stats

I just beat the heart (A1) for the first time moments ago too.
    - Started with Corpse Explosion which is a better card than I had given it credit for. Decent poison and destroys multiple enemies.
    - Ice Cream is a crazy relic. Along side that power that allows me to retain cards, I could set up really cool combos. Especially with Finisher and that card that plays skills twice
    - Took a Madness card. If I could get it to work on Corpse Explosion (like I did thagainst the heart) it would be great.
    - Got a Power Potion from the last shop and it gave me After Image against the Heart. That one thing made it possible.

• Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    33A1D400BD304715E8C19785D9DB5941DF6C6488
    Those Act 1 relics sure were something and then kicking off Act 2 with a Dead Branch was just stupid.

@The Zombie Penguin thoughts on Berserk and Bullseye post patch? Blood Potion feels like it's worth taking finally and Heel Hook buff might as well not exist (did Dropkick get the same change?). Berserk could be viable in a Pyramid deck with an upgrade and I've actually enjoyed having an extra turn on Bullseye. A little awkward though since situations where it would be good is a situation where your deck is likely to already be strong without it. Helped accelerate fights in situations where I didn't have frost orbs to just sit and E to win with focus so it might be a card I pick up early if offered.

butts
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Jookie wrote: »
    33A1D400BD304715E8C19785D9DB5941DF6C6488
    Those Act 1 relics sure were something and then kicking off Act 2 with a Dead Branch was just stupid.

@The Zombie Penguin thoughts on Berserk and Bullseye post patch? Blood Potion feels like it's worth taking finally and Heel Hook buff might as well not exist (did Dropkick get the same change?). Berserk could be viable in a Pyramid deck with an upgrade and I've actually enjoyed having an extra turn on Bullseye. A little awkward though since situations where it would be good is a situation where your deck is likely to already be strong without it. Helped accelerate fights in situations where I didn't have frost orbs to just sit and E to win with focus so it might be a card I pick up early if offered.

Beserk seems pickable now if your needs the output and you can upgrade it rather than being a "have pellets or bust" situation.

Bullseye I think is still is win more. I think If it's upgrade's have you 3 lock on, it'd be an interesting scaling option, but it's not a card I currently see myself picking. 2 lock on is just not a reliable amount

Blood potions change is just cahrazy to me. That's a huge amount of health to get, esp given ironclads access to Max hp. Would honestly expect to see it dropped to 20% soon.

Heel hook might be kinda relevant? Heel hook decks usually struggle with damage out put, so that extra 1 damage might add up

This is all spitballing though,I need to play with these changes to really get a feel for them

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    There are changes!? Oooohhhhhh, I'll be very interested.
    Your note of blood potion going DOWN TO 20% sounds like it's definitely batshit crazy though.

• Options
    There are changes!? Oooohhhhhh, I'll be very interested.
    Your note of blood potion going DOWN TO 20% sounds like it's definitely batshit crazy though.

It's 25% right now. Which is just wat. It's better than a rest by far and scales with maxhp... Like getting a blood potion that heals you 30 will not be unreasonable in the endgame

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Right now the changelist should be:
    Blood Potion heals 10% max HP -> 25% max HP
    Berserk vulnerable duration down one turn from 3(2) ->2(1)
    Heel Hook+ 7 damage -> 8 damage (haven't looked to see if Dropkick received the same change or not)
    Bullseye gives extra turn of Lock-On debuff, goes from 1(2) to 2(3) and damage on upgrade from 10->11

Bullseye was interesting because it sped up fights where I had good focus but zero frost orbs so I might be more willing to take it in those situations to try and end fights before I started taking meaningful damage. But in those same situations frost orbs means press E until dark orbs scale up to victory.
    AD204B6FB9DB24CE94269D2CF047351DEB2861B8
    D8F9F52AF2FDFFF7D1A6AE26E12F6D9182FC333B
    Winning with a Silent deck that was incapable of blocking. The Footwork+ came from the A4 shop and I think the Escape Plan came from the elite immediately after. I'm positive the Beat of Death dealt more damage to me than the Heart's attacks, only one of them should have dealt any damage to me.

Edit - to get an idea of how pathetic it was at blocking, I had to spend my buffer charge against the A4 elite's turn two when faced with a whopping one damage because I was intangible. Bless the two Piercing Wails I drew to reduce the Spear's damage to 0x4. I also fortunately vomited out such a disgusting amount of damage that I killed them the turn after so it didn't even matter.

Jookie on
    butts
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    That is a noticeably better version of Bullseye and Berserk. In particular, you'll no longer need to be 100% extra-psychic to get Bullseye working in a Dark Orb deck.

• Options
    7C101E7F8823B2AD85E11C3620152EFC227F8017
    A7CB5DEF5471C8A740A3A701A95620043FB86FD4
    I almost touched buff bars with the Heart and I now have a new mission.

I was offered the full Omelet of Power but had to pass on Frozen Egg and then I was offered all three bottles but passed on Bottled Flame because it is bad.

butts
  • Options
    You're on an impressive roll it looks like @Jookie Grats!

I need to a: get better, and b: lift my game apparently =D

• Options
    To be fair those the game essentially told me that I was gonna win with minimal user input. The Dead Branch run on Silent had the run won before Act 1 was even finished.

Like getting apparition event after already having Toxic Egg is off to a really strong start, especially when you're already in a run that's strong enough to start digging at rest sites. I completely forgot I was three energy the entire run and didn't get Mummified Hand or Artifact until the shop immediately before the last camp site in Act 3. I killed Bronze Automaton and was partially through Act 3 before I noticed I had Ice Cream. I don't even remember when I realized I had Calipers, I think it was halfway through Act 3 where I fought Giant Head and used apparition to carry over block the next turn accidentally.

The Silent run before that took under an hour because I just played attacks until everything died before my inability to prevent damage mattered so it shows how much time I spent actively thinking during the run.

butts
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Jookie wrote: »
    To be fair those the game essentially told me that I was gonna win with minimal user input. The Dead Branch run on Silent had the run won before Act 1 was even finished.

Like getting apparition event after already having Toxic Egg is off to a really strong start, especially when you're already in a run that's strong enough to start digging at rest sites. I completely forgot I was three energy the entire run and didn't get Mummified Hand or Artifact until the shop immediately before the last camp site in Act 3. I killed Bronze Automaton and was partially through Act 3 before I noticed I had Ice Cream. I don't even remember when I realized I had Calipers, I think it was halfway through Act 3 where I fought Giant Head and used apparition to carry over block the next turn accidentally.

The Silent run before that took under an hour because I just played attacks until everything died before my inability to prevent damage mattered so it shows how much time I spent actively thinking during the run.

Psh, take the compliment =P

For me the past week+ has been an exercise in "So it turns out being sick hilariously tanks my ability to play". It's actually kinda great, especially when i've streamed watching just how badly i play!

Edit: Ooof. This was a frustrating loss.
    13F95F8B399E03B2D13BEFC379E4A5D86EE26864

Just didn't draw cards in the right order vs the heart, and wiped out. I think maybe Amplify was a bad pick, and i should have taken Buffer? Deck really wanted an Echo Form, but was relying on trying to get Biased Cog/Corge Surge into t1. Which it was decent at doing, but they were just buried too deep vs the heart, and i lost too much hp to the big hit + multiattack. Even with a Fairy in a bottle for clever tricks. Also not convinced that Reprogram was worth anything. Oh well, that's why we play and learn from it, yeah?

Booo!

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    If it makes you feel any better I had a run where I took Busted Crown and then realized I already had a Prayer Wheel from the last fight in the act. The game threw a Question Card my way after to remind me to never take Busted Crown.

I didn't survive much longer.

butts
  • Options
    Alas ... Despite handling the spire itself quite well, I was immediately destroyed by the spear & shield. Bad draw didn't help, but I'm not sure that one would have panned out well regardless ... Still, the setup of the deck meant that if I lived I would have had full health against the heart, so just getting by at all would have sufficed. Alas.
    lxg1e69h348c.png

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I guess this was a pretty good second turn against the Automoton. Probably could've won it here if I played my defrag any sooner, but still

?imw=1024&imh=640&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=true

Now I gotta choose between a second echo form, a second fission (which is how I got this in two turns, and killed both minions) or a buffer, of which I currently have 0.

5 storms you love to see it

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I think I'm going to lose to the heart because I have no attacks or defends and rely entirely on doing 1000 lightning orbs on the second turn of every fight to end it.

lol forgot to pick up the red key. one shot decu and donu because I drew the heatsinks+ on turn one. Three turns on the time eater, had him at 44 after 2.

Edit:

?imw=1024&imh=640&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=true

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Going liiiiive if you all want some strimstramstreamitystrum

Come! Ask questions! learn about spire! watch me die screaming!

• Options
    Awww yiss. This was some good quality spire slaying. VOD and Decklist below - A very sweet Sneckoclad run that just went to town on the spire and ran it over, backed up to run it over again, and then hit the gas to run it over for a third time at speed.

Fair warning, i have a brief coughing fit at one point and dont make it to the mute button in time. I apologise in advance!
    D0ECAE5C2AC22831645E16070B3C52B4A3084955

Highlight has to be taking 85 damage in the Awoken One fight, and coming out at 89 hp. Just have 7 reapers or some shit, it's fine, that's how you defend yourself right?

Also you get some nice talk from me on at the end on the problems with infinite offensive scaling and why it's not needed - i actually skipped a brimstone in this run after umming and ahhing about it a fair bit.

Bonus points, i believe that's kill 70!

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Haha I was one turn away from dying to Time Eater but luckily drew a nice combo of flex, limit break, and heavy blade which was just enough damage to get me my first ironclad win and then I played my first card which happened to be the twelfth for his passive and my turn canceled and I died and I yelled at my tv and woke the dog up.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    That is definitely a Time Eater fight. Thank you for sharing. <3

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    We refer to that one as “the Classic.”

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    One time I accidentally Phantasmal Killer Pen Nib comboed a Grand Finale to kill Awakened One and it was awesome.

Doing 240 with one attack is awesome doing that as Silent is incredible.

butts
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Ugh, i just lost a run late-act 2, and i'm umming and uhhing about trying the seed again because i think Astrolabe might have been the right pick over Snecko eye, but i took Snecko? Agggh.

This game is haaaard. (For context - a poison heavy Art of War/Letter Opener deck)

Edit: So i ended up fucking around with that seed, and got all the way to the heart. Died to the heart because 2x Noxious fumes and Caltrops is just too slow, damage wise, but it was a near thing. Probably could have beaten with a reload but eehhh, fuck that. Not taking Snecko Eye was definitely the right choice, which was an interesting lesson. Turns out that snecko just crippled it's ability to abuse Art of War/Letter Opener

Also, you'd think a deck that started with Prayer Wheel would see more than 1 copy of Footwork. You would be wrong. (You'd also think i'd see Catalyst. You would also be wrong)

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    7294776F6A04FA782C5666BC3AC450BBC9322AE9
    CC5707D33AFABB7F4DF0233E4D46B89D21CD6B67
    That Defect run was fucking sweet. It was a cakewalk up until Act 4 where I lost about half HP to elites and then had to cleanse debuffs to survive long before I drew Meteor Strike and lost the ability to play it at all. Had to make a couple of adjustments throughout it; was able to trade HP to the Beat of Death before I got set up fully to generate block at the start of my turns...up until I had six HP against three damage beat while Echo Form was in play and I had to keep Frost Orbs in front the entire time. A3 was saved by Mind Bloom event giving me full heal for a curse otherwise I would have had I think seven HP for two fights and a super elite. Really unfortunate path took me through zero camp fires.

The Ironclad run however was sweet for entirely different reasons. I think I played the Impervious I picked up as the reward from A2 boss more than I ever played defends. I don't have block I have very strong muscles. Every fight was just get Demon Form in play and never actually block and then just heal to full with Reaper and then do that twice every fight once I got the second one. One unfortunate thing was taking an Inflame over Battle Trance in the Library event because I had a Limit Break currently multiplying zero strength (assumed anything strength would be instant take because I planned on leaning on Reaper shenanigans by that point). Immediately after was a store with another Inflame and the tile after was an elite that offered Demon Form. 46:15 duration run. I thought I was going to hate having Runic Dome but it didn't matter, I had a deck that required no amount of guessing and was live fast or die in a blazing glory.

Jookie on
    butts
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    This was a very, very angry-clad.
    57D1DE3372F172484E809DDD11C2C69920A39AC8

Werid fucking run. Took random rare, got Feed. Whetstone somehow managed to upgrade Uppercut AND feed, which is just wtf even. Took Astrolabe over fusion hammer, got rewarded with good things that i cant remember what they were. Took Pandora's box and got more good stuff... and firebreathing. Which i probably should have removed and i cant remember why in ever did. I think because of Mummified Hand/No real aoe? But i shoulda removed it.

Otherwise, just ate my way up the spire, went into the heart fight at 90 something hp (having just had both my disarms upgraded, because apparently Whetstone and Warpaint were determined to be showoffs). And that was you know, a chunk over half health - i had a 156 max hp total. PRoceeded ot take 126 damage in the heart fight and walk out at 26 hp, soo..

Yeah, i'm calling that a fun win that i'm still a bit confused about.

Edit: Also, yes, i managed to remove my entire starting deck.

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    The best thing about how much i'm growing as a spire player is how utterly mad my act 1 routing has gotten. Gimme those elites. THEY HAVE STUFF. I WANT THE STUFF.
    9FD1F40CE70C3FBA60050B615D9F8ECCD943CFF7

A4 elites were freaking rough to figure out how the hell to win against - mainly because i needed to line up Incense burner against the heart while not dying. Which was hard! Honestly took me a few reloads, a habit i'm trying to break in general, but here i just threw up my hands and went "Well, i'm doing this while eating dinner, so fuck it".

The heart conversely was a cakewalk - i only took 6 damage, and i'm pretty sure that was down to getting dinged by beat of death.

(On the other hand, i only had 27 max hp, so it's not like taking damage was really an option). Ended up not even needing my potions either, so welp.

Honestly not a lot to say here - this was pretty standard Poison/Apparition + Pyramid type shennagins, just minus Noxius Fumes because i thought i had enough (and then said fuck it when the a4 elites gave it to me, upgraded to boot). Beat up A1 off the back of 2 early poisoned stabs -> Die Die Die and Crippling Cloud+, and that in turn set me up for A2 where i got dramatically stronger rapidly (Though book of stabbing nearly killed me twice.)

Funnily enough i believe i skipped the boss rewards both times >.> All those rares were found out in the wild.

• Options
    Playing an Ornamental Fan + Kunai deck that has 3 copies of Cloak & Dagger alongisde a bunch of weak + Heel Hooks. I just finished the collector fight with +14 dex. However having to play a bunch of cards to do anything is definitely going to mean there's no way this deck beats the heart unless something DRAMATIC happens.
    The saddest part by far was hitting the first shop in Act 2 and not being able to afford Chemical X. I now have 3 copies of Malaise in the deck and my tears could fill a lake. :P

• Options
    Playing an Ornamental Fan + Kunai deck that has 3 copies of Cloak & Dagger alongisde a bunch of weak + Heel Hooks. I just finished the collector fight with +14 dex. However having to play a bunch of cards to do anything is definitely going to mean there's no way this deck beats the heart unless something DRAMATIC happens.
    The saddest part by far was hitting the first shop in Act 2 and not being able to afford Chemical X. I now have 3 copies of Malaise in the deck and my tears could fill a lake. :P

Panache. Yee need some panache

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Oh my God, I definitely needed something. I had one copy of A Thousand Cuts and let me tell you about how most of those fights went ... :P
    I almost died to empowered Giant Head, but somehow came out of it on 1 life. That's the first time I've ever had that fight go long enough his damage capped out? I honestly didn't know that happened. <_< The more you know, I guess?

So I got in one rest and had Pantograph to help out. Stabilized and beat The Awoken One, but didn't make it through the shapes. That actually wasn't going too badly because I developed block about as quickly as they powered up, but I had a really bad draw and that was that. One was at 150 and the other was at 100, so not bad considering the deck had no reliable damage whatsoever.
    dcw3qf87d55o.png

[Edit] picking up Toxic Egg as Silent when you have one or two card drops remaining is really mean, by the way. :P

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    Honestly, looking at that decklist I think part of the issue is you're stuffed with damage commons, which isn't doing you any favors.

Like just focusing on heel hook + cloak and dagger and trying to turn that into finisher turns would have worked out, I'd think.

The two writhes seem like they're cost you as well, turn 1 is such a valuable turn!

Cool run none the less!

• Options
    edited June 2019
    I'm right there with you, but I swear I just didn't really see anything to wrack up damage. I also hoped to get free attacks into finisher, but realistically I didn't have the energy since I didn't get anything to ever passively generate it, and my card draw mostly came at the cost of playing things I drew. A single envenom probably would have pulled everything together just because of how often I was poking, and Snecko Skull would have made that into big damage quick.
    Just wasn't meant to be, I think? I can't review my choices because it was a run on my lunch. :(

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    I'm right there with you, but I swear I just didn't really see anything to wrack up damage. I also hoped to get free attacks into finisher, but realistically I didn't have the energy since I didn't get anything to ever passively generate it, and my card draw mostly came at the cost of playing things I drew. A single envenom probably would have pulled everything together just because of how often I was poking, and Snecko Skull would have made that into big damage quick.
    Just wasn't meant to be, I think? I can't review my choices because it was a run on my lunch. :(

I'm headed out but i might take a crack at the seed later on and see if i can solve it. Though i feel like my a1 routing would be different so that might distort things? WE WILL FIND OUT

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Do it up! it felt like a generally good run and should be winnable IMO.

[Edit]
    Wow, this is a real run. Pick a rare gave me Hyperbeam. Everything else has just come up. This is heading into Act 1 boss. O_=
    v88xu0d1ua9k.png

[Edit 2]
    I died mid-Act 3 because I was almost never offered any options for block. I got a Leap, and a Stack, and passed up my choice of either Reinforce or Charge Battery from a store, opting to remove a curse instead. Charge Battery might have mathematically been the better choice. Oh well. I did get an All-For-One which ... I mean, come on~ But my Act 2 boss relics were all HORRIBLE for the deck (Snecko Eye with Claws and recursion isn't ideal, while Cursed Bell and Pandora's Box were both suicidal with my whole two non-defend blocks) so I straight up skipped.
    That deck was more live-fast-die-young than most Ironclad decks I've known. I actually raced The Champ strictly on Claw damage scaling, killing him the turn after he got angry (with 3 more claws in my hand to boot). :P

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    Popping yon stream live - link in my signature!

Going to be starting with defect, then we'll take a whirl at @ArcticLancer seed!

• Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    Beat the heart with the Ironclad for the first time. I had both barricade and offering ‘bottled’. That meant I had a good chance to get a decent block set up in the first turn. 3 copies of metalisize meant I could reliably keep it going. And Metamorphosis would deliver me a bunch of cheap attacks. The top meant I could often attack with 10+ cards a turn. Took 0 damage from the heart at all. It actually made me notice it has a damage cap to prevent more than 300 damage a turn.

• Options
    @ArcticLancer Well, that was a bastarding seed all right.

Had to reload several times to figure out a way through Donu Deca, and wiped out to the heart. WHich honestly wasnt a surprise - it was less that the heart killed me and more that i lost all my hp to the A4 elites (Who are really just a nastier version of the Donu/Deca fight), so all it took was a bad draw on turn 5 and i wiped out to the 3x15 from the heart.

Deck had some similar shennagins to yours, but went in a different direction with them - And even then, it just scaled too slowly to deal with Donu/Deca or the A4 elites. i think it might have gotten the heart down, but a bad draw crushed it. Thoguh turn 5, i'd only really just started dealing damage, so perhaps not =/

Decklist & VoD here:
    5A4DC9D2F89BC947B5A14842268280414D2D3202

My big takeaway here is Seeds are fucking werid.

...and i've just discoverd i was apperntly muted the entire fucking time, so that's awkard as fuck. *Sigh*