Options

[Slay the Spire] Slay the Spire 2 confirmed for EA 2025!

• Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    Just by the by, I picked up Cobalt Core today. It's an overall polished and enjoyable experience, but I'm not sure it has anything like Ascension levels to work though. I played one game on normal and two on hard and won then all so far without ever really being in danger. Similarly there seems to be no real reason to increase the difficulty other than trying to self-tune.

So yeah, I'm not unhappy with the purchase, but it's not really feeling comparable to the established deckbuilder roguelike genre.

It's definitely a smaller game than e.g. StS, but that's not necessarily a negative. I do think it's a worthwhile entry with its unique mechanics:

1. Position management and middle row
    2. Combining decks via character selection

Overall, it's good fun and worth a try.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I'm thoroughly enjoying myself with it, and the added layer of how different crew are more and less effective on different ships.
    The game has a much more blatant story component than most others in the genre, so I'm quite content to see where they take that and if it impacts the mechanics at all later.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    it's a good example of how you can take the basic formula, 3 energy per turn draw 5 a turn You Know The Drill, and add one or two more things to interface with to get some neat interactions

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    MegaCrit, the StS devs, tweeted out about how good Cobalt Core is and encouraged people to buy it. That’s about as big a shoutout as you can get if your making a roguelite deck builder.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Balatro is definitely the one I’m most looking forward to right now

• Options
    Balatro is definitely the one I’m most looking forward to right now

If I'm honest, I need to be sold on this one, and I think it largely depends on the price point it launches with. My experience with the demo was that you had too little control over how you manipulated your deck, and the math made it so you pretty much had to go all-in on one type of hand to regularly succeed. And mathematically, your best bet is to go for flushes. So runs felt very similar at that point, largely turning into how quickly they came online ...
    It was fun trying to tool around for straights or full houses, but it just felt stupid to do.

It was a really addictive experience at first, no question. But too many things are too "the same" every time. "Why do I even have money if spending below $20 is very stupid due to the interest mechanic?" "What's the point of skips if there's only one or two that are even REMOTELY possibly worth going for?" "Oh look, Hermit." *Auto-slam*
    Perhaps it was just a very bad demo, as rather than making me feel like "So many possibilities!" it felt like it brushed up uncomfortably hard against the limits of what you could do.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I'm keeping an eye on Arctic, but i'd be inclined to agree. One thing that stuck out to me was the lack of a visible discard pile - Meaning you had to try and manually remeber everything you'd played/tossed when calculating odds.

...Which just pushes you to the Flushes, like Artic said, as they're rewarding and not very conditional to achieve.

Also:

https://www.makeship.com/products/corrupt-heart-gitd-plush?utm_source=steam&utm_medium=news&utm_campaign=launch&utm_content=pre-order

Get your spire fanatic a heart for chirstmas. an evil, corrupt, glow in the dark heart

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I did it. The thing you're never supposed to do.

The Forbidden Deck.

Pyramid into Dead Branch.

The heart was a clencher of a fight, because this deck was basically a ticking time bomb of "eventually, it cannot block or do anything except attack". But it bloody well got there, taking 64 damage and 8 turns to bring the beating behemoth down.

o3pxbhadusqg.png

Also i'm mightily offended that i got a floor 9 Magic Flower and never once saw a reaper, what the fuck game?

Still healed an extra 66 hp across the run off it though, so you know, #Worth.

I also like the fact this deck had like 3 or 4 different ways to scale it's damage and win somehow because it needed every available option. Worked surprisingly well.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Came across a video for Forward: Escape the Fold that released in 2022.

Basically, you move your character forward and choose from 1-3 options to deal with. There could be enemies, gold, weapons, shops, etc.

For combat, you simply step in front of a monster card and take damage equal to it's power to defeat it. Once defeated, the monster will drop a reward card. Each space forward brings you closer to the boss (about 20 or so steps). Bosses will give you relic options.

It's in a similar vein to Slay the Spire just without the deckbuilding aspect. All the information is revealed, so planning out your path forward is important. Sure, you could grab that 5 gold in front of you, but then you'll be forced to take 8 from the enemy in front of it and 4 or 6 from the enemies behind it. You'll want to balance your health/armor/mana as you trek forward.

Looks very fast paced and fun. It's also on mobile if you want to play it there (which might be more ideal).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjzijkSYIXg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FVllkQcfOY

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Got the true ending of Cobalt Core.

It’s really good! My only real complaint is that it’s too easy on everything other than the hardest difficulty if you’ve played a deckbuilder before; I think I failed something like 5 or 6 runs total and they were all on the hardest difficulty. But that’s really subjective and even still it works really well as a relaxing experience (Ascension 20 on StS requires me to focus up and really examine every decision). Part of this is that it’s just too easy to build an infinite. There are a ton of draw and energy cards/relics. And if you can’t go infinite you can still become OP pretty easily if you know what you’re doing.

But the moment to moment gameplay I think I actually enjoy just as much as StS. Every turn is like a mini puzzle involving positioning, shielding, damage output, and scaling. The humor and story are charming.

Highly recommend. 👍

• Options
    I largely agree, though would caveat that with it depending on your crew and ship. Some are simply much better than others (it's hard to lose with Dizzy, for example). But it was just fun to pay for a while. It's not StS, but it's the first game in a while I felt like it wasn't trying to be. That's a good thing.

• Options
    I actually think Riggs is the most mandatory party member, at least until you get the Tiderunner, which has built-in mobility tools. Blocking is so much slower than just being able to get out of the way of shots or position yourself to minimize incoming damage.

It’s also probably the ship Max is most powerful in since he can change the order of cards if you need it.

• Options
    I also like Riggs, but Dizzy is so good at generating shields (often while dealing damage) it doesn't matter if you don't avoid hits. Deflection B (I think) is silly and you can easily get multiples. Add in any of Dizzy's relics and you get things that gain max shields, gain temp shields, do extra damage, gain extra shields ... Laugh if you get Payback because the enemy will never out-scale you. It's not like any of this stops you from also having dodge - you just generally don't need it.

• Options
    Right yeah I agree; I just did a Dizzy run where I did literally all of that and it’s definitely powerful when it all comes together. I just think being able to move enough to never take damage is faster/easier.

Also, Strafe is broken right now. Strafe + Jupiter Drones is just silly. If you can get multiple drones out, especially aimed at weak points, you can just move the enemies to death with relaxing ease, and there’s no danger of hitting your own drones because your ship has no cannons. Strafe needs nerfed, probably something like “for every 3/2 (upgraded) movement you fire your cannon for 1 damage”. It would still be an almost instant pick but it would be much less silly.

• Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    Megacrit doing 2 limited edition sts vynil figures with youtooz. Silent and Ironclad.

https://youtooz.com/collections/slay-the-spire

I really want both. <3
    And since this is our last announcement of 2023, we want to take this opportunity to wish you all a Mega Crit-mas and a happy new year! It's been a busy year for our team: working on our new game, learning a new engine, migrating said game to said engine, etc. We're happy we've been able to partner with other companies that can bring our fans cool merch like this in the meantime, and we're so excited for you all to see what we here at Mega Crit have been cooking when the time comes!

Until then: slay on, Slayers.

lol unity

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I picked up Breach Wanderers during the Winter Sale and it might be worth some attention from those of you who like extra-crunchy deckbuilders. Progression's a trickle but there's a lot of things to try out.

• Options
    I have it and I have two major beefs with it.

1) It is not balanced. Like, at all.

2) It is “Deck Verified” but in practice you use the trackpad as a mouse and that always, always, always sucks. StS control scheme is right there, devs.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited January 7
    I have it and I have two major beefs with it.

1) It is not balanced. Like, at all.

2) It is “Deck Verified” but in practice you use the trackpad as a mouse and that always, always, always sucks. StS control scheme is right there, devs.

I'm not sure about Point 1 - I think it wants you to reroll / be selective- and not certain what you mean by 2?

Auralynx on
  • Options
    Balance is relative, but at this point I kinda assume roguelike deck builders are going to be boringly balanced than interestingly balanced.

Slay the Spire is the gold standard, and it still has issues with easy infinites + overall card quality being such you can brute force solutions (eg, card removing is a much more reliable strategy, which increases infinites, all because you no longer need to bloat your deck with Silver bullets - why take caltrops when deadly poison will kill book of stabbing faster and more reliably?).

And that's the top of the heap, most games are much much more boring with go big or go home issues, or simply being ridiculously complex with nothing that actually justifies or offers payoff to said complexity.

Seeing the game advertise "1.2k+ cards!" In addition to the "unlocks come very very slow" makes me think it's going to be way more boringly balanced than interestingly

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    If you want deckbuilding and worker placement I highly recommend Dune Imperium. It's actually a real life game that won nonstop awards before the film even came out.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    If you want deckbuilding and worker placement I highly recommend Dune Imperium. It's actually a real life game that won nonstop awards before the film even came out.

I keep hearing things about that. As always, money is the issue - so many games to play, so little spare cash.

• Options
    I really don't feel like Dune Imperium fits into the conversation here. Like, not even close. "You get a handful of additional cards as you play" is nowhere near traditional deckbuilding.

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited January 10
    Continuing my quest for some sort of point where I can say I'm 'done' with this game, got my first A20 win with Defect. Had died so much I'd forgotten about the double bosses at the end of act 3 so that was a scary surprise Time Eater. Lucky it was him and not the bird though, since I was spamming powers.

Got Biased Cognition from Neow and got mummified hand and bird urn pretty early act 2. Sadly never saw an artificial intelligence but the times I got it from white noise were great.
    jgl9f6hkuhfx.png

amyzr84xfgqi.png

jakobagger on
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Now I'm only missing Silent, which I haven't played in a while and is only at A13 so that's gonna take a while.

Any tips for high ascension silent and heart killing? Or any silent tips in general? I feel I'm even worse with her than the other three.

• Options
    Silent:

Lots of good options to scale late game, with the best defensive suite in the game. Wraith form + After Image will deal with the heart, piercing wail is a common, poison is good, shivs are very good these days, Sneaky Strike, acrobatics and discard bullshit.

The problem tends to be her early game, which is atrocious. She's got the worst starter deck, to the point she literally cannot beat Lagavulin on A20 using her starter deck. It's mathematically impossible.

Net result: You need to find good damage on her, and fast. Thankfully: Blade Dance, Predator, Sneaky Strike, Deadly Poison, Bouncing Flask all exist and are great. Crippling Cloud is nice to have, but is more of an act 2 card (and needs an upgrade besides). Taking rare card for a chance at seeing Glass Knife or Unload can be well worth it

Defensive suites of note:

Upgrades + a footwork can easily be enough, esp if target is weakened
    Paper Krane does a huge amount of work as long as you can keep weakened on the target
    Wraithform if you can keep it up long enough. Apparitions, likewise. Nightmare is the grease for both of these, Well Laid Plans ensures you're playing them on the right turn.
    Calculated Gamble with tough bandages can make a lot of block. Calculated gamble/acrobatics and a deck that goes infinite off these + tactican and reflex can make a lot of incidental block depending on how good your block is
    Burst/Nightmare Catalyst can let you blow up time eater and several other risky fights before they're a danger, and make it o you only have to survive for 5 turns or so vs the heart.
    After Image helps a lot vs beat of death, and in shiv/infinite decks can make a ton of block. Nightmare After image is the sort of thing that makes it very hard to loose.

Damage is a mostly a mix of poison, shivs, discard (Sneaky Strike or Tingsha). Small decks make it easy to go infinite with discard, and her discard suite (Acrobatics + a tactican being the minimum) is very easy to access.

• Options
    @jakobagger d7n8mx4xhthy.png
    Recent winning run example.

Deck was a bit crowded, which made things awkward, but starting with Apoth (Rare colorless card is worth the gamble, just for Apoth or Hand of Greed) into poison engine into nightmare stupidity worked out. Coffe Dripper was awkward but the best of a bad set of options, and taken on the gamble of seeing bites - at the time i still had 4 strikes in the deck, and 5 bite+ would have been very good. Didn't happen, but not every gamble pays off.

Shoutout to N'loth showing up and wanting to eat anything but my but my Whetstone. Jerk.

Nightmare was also taken as a gamble at the end of act 1 - I didn't have anything for it, do it was basically a curse but... The payoff is really big. I got two of the three biggest payoffs you can get (Catalyst and Wraith Form, the third is Appriations).

---

The other general advice on Silent is because she's got such a bad early game, her whale bonus matters a lot.

Rare relic has some incredible hits - tingsha and tough bandages, but it's got some real duds and it's just two volatile for my tastes.

Common relic isn't anything amazing, but there's a ton of very strong or useful common relics, and being able to plan for a late shop with maev bank or getting Vajra helps a ton.

Rare card is pretty good - lots of Silent's rates are good early, ontop of having good upgrades. Glass Dagger and Corpse Explosion are the really exciting ones, but Envenom, Thousand Cuts, Alchemize and others are all notable. Grand Finale this early means you can lean into it, which is exciting.

Rare Colorless has two big hits - Apoth and Hand of greed. Panache and Sadistic Nature are both relevant for Silent, as is Secret Technique. Master of Strategy or Thinking Ahead are never going to be bad, but they're not going to shine either. The bomb can help if you can get it into play fast enough

Normal colorless cards are very whatever. Too much variance here - you're looking at flash of steel or similar, maybe Discovery. Just not worth it.

Neow's blessing is map dependant - of it can get me three fights into a shop and campfire, or a double elite/super elite, I'm inclined to grab it.

Max HP is whatever, as is upgrade a card. Neither of these help you solve Silent's immediate issues of not having good damage and a clogged deck.

Choose a card is good, gets you a damage common early or even a good uncommon.

Remove a card (remove a defend) or remove two cards (remove a defend and strike) are good. Transform likewise - it's high variance, but the variance is in your favour.

Gold is reliant on there being a shop. 100g for an early shop can net you stuff like Orrery or bag of prep, which is great - 250g can pay off even harder, but relies on the shop being good. Still, it's a trade I'll make for max HP or damage.

I'll basically never take a "get a curse, but" whale bonus. Just too hard to pay off, and regret/pain are crippling on-top of locking you out of the curse events like warped tongs or shrine of greed.

Relic swap is why!? You have the best starter relic in the game, bar none. Every other class would trade for your starter relic in a heart beat, it is that good. The only times getting rid of it makes sense is when you're in a bag of prep + ninja scroll or snecko eye situation. Also the variance is absurd, with only astrolabe, Pandora or runic pyramid being worthy payoffs

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I will say, when it comes to Slay the Spire, my favorite evolution in the way I play has been my changing view of the Time Eater (who is still my least favorite boss, but anyway, and it's been my boss for the past ... 6 ... runs now? Fuck me ...).

It's gone from, "This is just absolute stupid bullshit that I can't play the deck I've been building out ..." to "Every turn, I need to play exactly 12, the-most-impactful-cards I can."

You still sometimes end up with decks that just can't do that and fail, but it's nowhere near as bad bullshit as, ferinstance, building a really cool Poison deck and then finding out your floor boss is the Vampire in Dreamquest.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    I will say, when it comes to Slay the Spire, my favorite evolution in the way I play has been my changing view of the Time Eater (who is still my least favorite boss, but anyway, and it's been my boss for the past ... 6 ... runs now? Fuck me ...).

It's gone from, "This is just absolute stupid bullshit that I can't play the deck I've been building out ..." to "Every turn, I need to play exactly 12, the-most-impactful-cards I can."

You still sometimes end up with decks that just can't do that and fail, but it's nowhere near as bad bullshit as, ferinstance, building a really cool Poison deck and then finding out your floor boss is the Vampire in Dreamquest.

There's a reason you'll see me occasionally snarkily post in the game general thread in SE on "what's a hard counter" with a snap shot of a perfect Awoken One fight, usually as a defect power deck.

Time Eater is not fun - I strongly disagree with anything that yanks control from the player - but he's not really bullshit either. He's just a very specific experience that says "make sure every card play is impactful".

nvu9brbi9bwb.png

This deck needless to say rolled right over him, because Time Eater doesn't have a good answer to repeated 1/0 energy Bludgeons while he's weak and Vulnerable, he just fuckin' dies.

• Options
    @jakobagger

p8e90lbxob8y.png

Another good example of a Silent win, and why i call her the Queen of Defence. for the majority of the game, her damage was... Masterful Strike, Noxious Fumes+, Deadly Poison and Catalyst+. That's it. I picked up Ritual Dagger to help out, which it did plenty, but hte majority of this deck was jus abusing Paper Krane, and later on, Appirations, Paper Krane, and eventually, bought in act 4, a single footwork.

Also abusing Mark of the Bloom - it took that on Floor 36, netting it a monster 19 upgrades. How much HP did the deck loose after that? (and notice how many relics Mark of the Bloom turned off)

2 hp. 1 to Awoken One, 1 to time eater.

Card selection, everything upgraded, and a clear battle plan (Burst Catalyst and Burst Apparitions) = a crushing victory.

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    edited January 25
    got an A20 victory with watcher
    qbvzlau4k8de.png

Mental Fortress + Rushdown infinite is very effective, although it is also very boring

edit: lucked out in not getting the time eater because I don't think i got offered anything that would've dealt with it

asofyeun on
  • Options
    Rushdown infinites usually just roll time Eater - he can't cope with 12 cards played every turn.

Rushdown and flurry are two problem child cards I'd rebalance if I could. Flurry seems less of a problems currently, but that's just because Rushdown infinites exist.

Flurry needs a damage increase and being kicked up to rare.

Rushdown needs to only draw 1 card. And quite possibly have a cost increase as well.

In general I'm just not a fan of infinites. They're a bit inevitable, but if they're too easy to achieve they crush the tactical space in the game

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Does anyone else wish that when you beat the boss and move to the next stage it played the super ghouls and ghosts map music?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCK4tOrv1bk

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    You just triggered me. I didn't know that series gimmick and was so chuffed when I 'beat it' and then... sadness.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    danx wrote: »
    You just triggered me. I didn't know that series gimmick and was so chuffed when I 'beat it' and then... sadness.

The price you pay for skills. I could never beat it before I could learn its terrible secret.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    So! I think maybe y'all should take a look at Spellrogue. It's really hitting that same itch as Spire. There was that Astrea game I talked about recently, and it not quite hitting the mark? This is like that, but good.

One thing is that it's still early, so the content seems a bit limited and, honestly, the balance is a little off. Gold's too plentiful, it's pretty easy overall. But it's fun and addictive and very much has that "just one more floor" symptom.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    I talked a little bit about this with tZP recently, but I also tried out the Astrea demo and it left me feeling like the whole game wasn't going to be great. There's definitely some interesting ideas and nice production values, but it felt like it was trying to cram too much into too short a duration, maybe? I dunno, whatever. I'm definitely intrigued by this recommendation though, so sure, will look into it.

I'm also surprised nobody is talking about Balatro by now, since I recall at least one person here being quite excited for it. The last demo they put out before releasing the game honestly put me off it entirely. There was cool stuff, absolutely! But also the same underlying nags were there: Money is too important, you don't get enough chance to meaningfully change your deck, and flushes are still far and away the most reliable and easy thing to set up. If that game is ever like 60% off I'll probably buy it because it's got its charms, but I'd be interested to hear if anybody playing it really thinks it has a solid longtail or something else that shakes things up.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    I talked a little bit about this with tZP recently, but I also tried out the Astrea demo and it left me feeling like the whole game wasn't going to be great. There's definitely some interesting ideas and nice production values, but it felt like it was trying to cram too much into too short a duration, maybe? I dunno, whatever. I'm definitely intrigued by this recommendation though, so sure, will look into it.

I'm also surprised nobody is talking about Balatro by now, since I recall at least one person here being quite excited for it. The last demo they put out before releasing the game honestly put me off it entirely. There was cool stuff, absolutely! But also the same underlying nags were there: Money is too important, you don't get enough chance to meaningfully change your deck, and flushes are still far and away the most reliable and easy thing to set up. If that game is ever like 60% off I'll probably buy it because it's got its charms, but I'd be interested to hear if anybody playing it really thinks it has a solid longtail or something else that shakes things up.

I played enough astraea to beat the heart several times and see higher ascension levels. It gets more interesting in act 4, and the heart fight has some interesting mechanics, but I agree that the game isn't quite deep enough feeling, even when you unlock every character's full deck.

Spellrogue's on my wishlist for when it's out of EA.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    edited February 27
    I like Spellrogue a lot, so far. It direly needs more variety of bosses, enemies, etc. Events are terrible and need some changes.

Accidentally sent that early. It shows a lot of promise long-term, but the EA definitely hasn't filled out yet. I enjoyed it vastly more than Astraea.

Whelk on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Whelk wrote: »
    I like Spellrogue a lot, so far. It direly needs more variety of bosses, enemies, etc. Events are terrible and need some changes.

Accidentally sent that early. It shows a lot of promise long-term, but the EA definitely hasn't filled out yet. I enjoyed it vastly more than Astraea.

100% agreed. Like, it's very obviously not content- or balance-complete. And yet, it's still fun, and if they flesh it out properly it'll be fabulous.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular

There's a dedicated Balatro thread if you wanted to ask there.
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/249793/balatro-so-ill-tell-you-all-the-story-about-the-poker-and-the-rougelike