[COFFEE] - Why the hell are we making meth?

1234568»

• SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit At the edge of spacetime lies a path with no end.Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Sorry for the double post but dang this steam wand will scorch your milk but fast if you aren't careful.

Still tasted ok to my palate though, but I seem to keep getting a bit of channeling in my shots where it'll start coming mostly out of one side of the portafilter than the other for like 10 to 15 whole seconds. It's not super noticeable on taste but then I had milk in it this time and the puck looked good to me. I think maybe I'm not getting it perfectly level. I need something to brace the portafilter against to tamp evenly.

What size portafilter do you have? If its a 58mm portafilter puck levelers are extremely easy to get on amazon and very cost effective.

58mm Coffee Distributor about $20 for a 58mm portafilter. Since the standard size on even $5000 machines is 58mm, this should last you until the heat death of the universe.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
    Uriel
  • UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Yeah I'll have to grab one of those when shopping at Amazon won't be crossing a pocket line... I wanted one for my old machine too but 51mm is a less standard size and were selling out more often.

I also need some Cafiza and something to clean my grinder out. Plus new beans!

• Magus`Magus` Registered User regular
    Does filtered water matter for cold brew? Like to the point most people would notice?

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 3
    Coffee 'purists' will tell you yes.

I mean, I've got a bad sense of taste, but can tell the difference between filtered and unfiltered plain in a glass; but here both are good. I do use filtered if using the kettle to keep down scale buildup.

So if your tap is good, then go for it.

MichaelLC on
    Echo wrote: »
    Something working on the first try is a source of great suspicion.
    djmitchella
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Cold brew in particular I don't know about -- but what I can say is that I went to a coffee tasting put on by Phil and Sebastian at Beakerhead a couple of years ago (Beakerhead is a local science and general weirdness festival) where one of the local coffeehouses brewed the same coffee with distilled water, then water with three parts in a million of baking soda (to make it alkali), then water with three parts in a million of citric acid added (or something along those lines, at least) Same beans, same roast, same weight, same temperature, same time, but there was a very distinct flavour difference. The water itself tasted the same, but somewhere in the process of extracting flavour from coffee, things changed.

Now, they're pretty geeky about coffee, to the point where their ideal coffeeshop would be supplied with a tankerload of distilled water each morning and they'd then add in appropriate extra molecules to balance the water out just right -- which feels like overkill to me, though on the other hand it's also very possible to tell if the water treatment plant here has been putting in extra chlorine during spring runoff season or whatever, so I can see their point about trying to reduce variability.

But, yeah, like MichaelLC says, as long as your water's fine to drink, it'll make fine coffee;

I still need to practice my milk technique but at least I didn't scald it this time.
    rq2pzehkszcg.jpg

DouglasDangerSoggybiscuitMichaelLCPowerpuppiesElvenshaeHavelock2.0
    So I've yet to get the fresh beans I had ordered so I've gotten a lot of practice at milk drinks this week.
    3e6bwodrj3m8.jpg

Milk is actually a touch too thick here I think. But exactly the right temp to be nice and sweet. Putting the pitcher in the fridge really helped. I gotta practice just a bit more at my pour speed and initial position too so I can actually get a classic shape instead of random junk.

Once I get my new beans I'm going to try to dial in at a real 18g dose too. I've been under dosing about 2 grams to avoid a bit of bitterness with my somewhat stale Lavazza beans.

djmitchella
    Having finally got milk steaming back under control again, rosettas are sort of working:
    b9JmCyM.jpg

and a swan(?)
    lUEhe6F.jpg

obviously there's a huge amount of tutorials and stuff on youtube, but also if you want something on paper, this is a good book. Though it does get a bit out of hand in places:
    Ba6zoOu.png

Casual EddyKetarwebguy20CarpyDouglasDangerUrielMichaelLCHavelock2.0
    I think I need to clean out my grinder really well. I keep getting clumps in my grounds which is what I think keeps leading to getting more grounds in one side of the portafilter and thus getting a slightly lopsided Puck and a significant amount of channeling. It'll come out just the one spout for about half of the full extraction time. Tends to be pretty sour when it does.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I had a bunch of crud jammed into a lower area of my grinder that I didn't even realize was dirty.

Would give it a decent cleaning after each use, but had to get in there with a couple of toothpicks to clear out the blockage.

I avoid clumping by grinding into the little plastic hopper thing that the grinder has, then remove that, give it a good shake to loosen things up, and tip from there into the portafilter. (you can also stir the grounds with a toothpick or something after they're in the portafilter, too).

Uriel
    edited May 27
    I found a little glass cup that fits into my portafilter just right so now I'm dosing into that then just putting my portafilter on top and inverting and shaking it a bit before lifting out the cup. It helps with the clumps but now I'm getting much faster and more sour extractions than I would like on the whole so Imma have to adjust something else.

Ok so I'm running into this right at the tail end of this bag of coffee unfortunately. But I'm right between 9 and 10 my grinder. 9 comes out really long and bitter and 10 a good deal faster and very sour.

I think maybe if I stick to 10 and increase my dose back to like 18g I might hit a sweet spot right at the end of this bag of beans.

Uriel on
  • m!ttensm!ttens Registered User regular
    It can be a delicate balancing act to get the grind fine enough for a slow even extraction without bogging down the pump.

I'd like to upgrade my grinder to get better control (currently have an Encore) in the espresso grind range but I'm probably going to hold off until my birthday at the end of next month before seriously considering anything.

edited May 27
    I got this grinder as a gift for secret saints. It's a breville smart grinder pro.

It's really nice! A little hard to dose accurately from but not impossible and the hopper doesn't like taking a small amount at a time because of the way it feeds.

I could make some more delicate adjustments I think if I take the hopper off and fiddle with the burr manually but I don't think that's necessary. One thing I'm working with darker beans more intended for drip brew anyway, and two I'm still learning.

Soon Imma move back to using some Lavazza super crema beans when I can afford a bag next week. Those are way more forgiving even when they were kinda stale in my experience. And they are more affordable than 12oz bags from trade I should be saving for use in my v60 setup.

I want to get a vacuum sealer so when I buy a big bag of beans I can freeze a few weeks worth portioned out individually.

I'm also thinking of getting a shorter scale and a bottomless filter handle (and maybe a vst basket) at some point. I'd like to stop eyeballing the weight of my shots because my scale won't fit under my cups/the spouts and watch for channeling while I'm dialing in.

Uriel on
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    Breville has a pretty good manual adjustment scheme for grind size - I have the prior version of that. It's a tank too, we've had ours probably 7 years and works like new.

Yeah, bottomless portafilters are the way to go to see what's really happening. For example, there's a bit of squirting at the start here, and I probably should have stopped a bit sooner at the end, but overall it's not too bad.

As for dosing, I use "a basket's worth of beans", because I can be as consistent that way as I could if I weighed them out every time. (and also a basket's worth of beans weighs about 20g, so it's a reasonable baseline). The hopper on the grinder starts out empty, then I put in the amount of beans I want to grind, so I can control how much comes out the other end that way, rather than based on time grinding or weighing the output.

Since I got the palm tamper, I know that volume of tamped beans is a constant, and I tend to stick to the same grind setting, so I can control density by changing the amount of beans instead. I grind, shake, dump them into the basket which gives me a heap of grinds that's higher than the edge of the basket. Then using an index finger as a sort of knife edge, tap them down until they're mostly level, go sideways sweep them flat, and tamp. I don't know if it's the best method, and it's pretty slow so I don't think it'd work in a commercial setting or where speed counts, but it's a method that I can repeat consistently, so I have fewer other things to worry about.

If I want to have the extraction slower, I just start with more beans and pack more of them in with my finger, rather than trying to grind finer, it seems more controllable for me. The shot above was 'beans level to the basket'; if I put in another few grams-worth and pack those down with my finger, rather than sweeping off as much excess, then it'll take something like a minute to get to the same colour of extraction at the end, which feels like enough range of adjustment for what I want to play with. (and if I start off with a not-quite-full basket, it'll be done in 15 seconds which is definitely too fast).

I finally pulled a shot with this coffee that I could drink without milk!

18g in about 36g out in 30 seconds.

Tasted a little sharp on the tail but not sour, some actually detectable sweetness countered that though, and a nice body to it.

Hooray. Now I got only a few shots worth before I have to switch beans again.

DouglasDangerdjmitchella
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    So, Chemex filters are sold out everywhere I've looked. This is a bummer. Anyone have any third party recommendations? The ones I've tried just burst and dump the coffee into the bottom, which is infuriating.

Inquisitor wrote: »
    I fucking hate you Canadians.
    So, Chemex filters are sold out everywhere I've looked. This is a bummer. Anyone have any third party recommendations? The ones I've tried just burst and dump the coffee into the bottom, which is infuriating.

The Prime Minister may know where to find some..