As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Elden Ring] Has Shattered (CLOSED SPOILERS)

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    I am also in the super hyped for elden ring boat but i'm actually kind of amazed by how bad it looks. Luckily graphics aren't a big deal for me but; ugh. It just doesn't look like an 80$ (CAD) game

Yeah, it needs 10000% more polygons before it's a game worth my money.

As we all know, graphics are the only thing that makes a game worth $80 (CAD).

tx3fzw17io1e.png

God I can barely look at it
    It’s nice you’re so good at being sarcastic but that looks noticeably worse than the demons souls remaster which was a ps5 launch title from the same company over a year ago…

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I am also in the super hyped for elden ring boat but i'm actually kind of amazed by how bad it looks. Luckily graphics aren't a big deal for me but; ugh. It just doesn't look like an 80$ (CAD) game

Yeah, it needs 10000% more polygons before it's a game worth my money.

As we all know, graphics are the only thing that makes a game worth $80 (CAD).

tx3fzw17io1e.png

God I can barely look at it
    It’s nice you’re so good at being sarcastic but that looks noticeably worse than the demons souls remaster which was a ps5 launch title from the same company over a year ago…

But this is not a PS5 game, it is multiplatform. And the remake was done by Bluepoint an entirely different company.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i'm not sure most ps5 games look as good as demon's souls remaster

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Miyazaki actually recently said he felt intimidated by the graphical quality of the Demon’s Souls remaster.

That said Elden Ring looks great to me.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yea uhh.... this is a PS4 game. So you should be comparing it to PS4 games. And this definitely visually fits into the caliber of PS4 games.

If you have some list of non-full priced games of similar size on PS4 that look notably better than this I'd love to see them. Because I really can't think of what would be falling into that category.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    See, imo the Demon's Souls remaster looks...not great, due to artistic decisions that feel at odds with the original look and feel. I really prefer what I've seen of Elden Ring so far

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    See, imo the Demon's Souls remaster looks...not great, due to artistic decisions that feel at odds with the original look and feel. I really prefer what I've seen of Elden Ring so far

Technically, the remaster is pretty incredible.

Artistically its a bit bland?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Wasn't Dark Souls 2 also trashed on for being a PS3 game when the PS4 had just come out?
    Elendil wrote: »

Yeah I mean, there's Ratchet and Clank. And... maybe Spiderman: Miles Morales. But other than that, the DeS remake is still a graphical watermark. I don't think even Horizon Forbidden West looks as good.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    I personally thought the Demon's Souls remake was beautiful. From an artistic and from a technical standpoint.

But yeah I don't compare Elden Ring to that because that is BluePoint and they're masters of graphical revisions. It's more like comparing Elden Ring to Dark Souls 3, in which case I think Elden Ring looks great.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Wasn't Dark Souls 2 also trashed on for being a PS3 game when the PS4 had just come out?

Yeah I mean, there's Ratchet and Clank. And... maybe Spiderman: Miles Morales. But other than that, the DeS remake is still a graphical watermark. I don't think even Horizon Forbidden West looks as good.

if3jEst.jpg

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    ED! wrote: »

if3jEst.jpg

I mean it looks good

But it doesn't look as good as DeS Remake

(And it's open world while DeS is not, so it's not really a surprise)

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Given how gorgeous both Horizon games are that's really just an incredible compliment to the technical quality of DeS Remaster.

I do think its art direction is kind of boring, though.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I can’t wait for games to move solely to the current gen PS5/whatever the Xbox is. Elden Ring isn’t a poor looking game, but it could have been a lot better as we can see from the way Demon Souls remastered looks. Hopefully they have the great to non-existent loading I’ve got used to from recent games.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    Given how gorgeous both Horizon games are that's really just an incredible compliment to the technical quality of DeS Remaster.

I do think its art direction is kind of boring, though.

That is probably it. Like we've seen this aesthetic with DS3 already. I feel like even though they may have used the same engines, SEKIRO felt different than DS3 which felt different than BB (and was clearly different than DS2 who wasn't even related to DS1).

. . . I'm sure I'm oversimplifying it, but I have yet to play a FS game and been reminded of the previous games because the current game just had a style all its own.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Fidelity jump ahoy

https://youtu.be/PPVr7v_upxY

Im sorry but anyone saying this game looks like DS3 really needs to go back and play DS3

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I’m gonna slap such a helmet on that boy.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    There's no mechanic that makes you look like a zombie after deaths is there?

I am excited to play a Souls game with an actually good looking character for once.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

I am excited to play a Souls game with an actually good looking character for once.

Conversely, I'm going to go full Monster Factory this time and make a hideous goblinized nightmare person who ruins every cutscene

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I just watched that video with the Game ainformer people and couldn’t stop thinking about how good that looked. It feels like a huge graphic jump over previous souls games while still being distinctly that

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

Conversely, I'm going to go full Monster Factory this time and make a hideous goblinized nightmare person who ruins every cutscene

I too am going to try to make a character who looks like me

• Options
    WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    I'm excited that, after getting halfway through Sekiro, I might parry once in this whole game

• Options
    I’ve been playing ds2 as some template because I actually forgot you could customize the character when picking a class. And because I’m a zombie like 90% of the time anyway

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    There's a certain vibe to the PS3 look of Demon's Souls that really makes use of the dated tech, it's just kind of hard to recreate that same aesthetic.

frrwemfnfv5d.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Idly contemplating getting the remaining trophies for DS2 and 3 and hmmmm nope probably not the item grinding is too painful. DS1 is apparently the easiest Soulsbourne to get every trophy for.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    Idly contemplating getting the remaining trophies for DS2 and 3 and hmmmm nope probably not the item grinding is too painful. DS1 is apparently the easiest Soulsbourne to get every trophy for.
    1 has a fair amount of rare item grinding itself still

bloodborne is the easiest by a mile

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Bloodborne imo is much easier.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Sekiro is the easiest to me, with Bloodborne right behind it.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    DS3 is the only one I've ever finished the trophies on, for whatever reason. I think I just like meandering around fighting stuff the most in DS3.

• Options
    Qanamil wrote: »
    sekiro ironically has the ridiculous level grind to contend with

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    No matter how much I love a game, I will never platinum it if it has an RNG element.

I have 900+ hours in Monster Hunter World, and it will never be platinum'd by me solely because of the "Kill this same monster a million times until it is randomly 10cm larger than the last". And it is why the only soulsborne I have done that in, is Bloodborne.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    sekiro ironically has the ridiculous level grind to contend with

Yeah, there's a solid several hours of NG+ level grinding, but it's super easy.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Bogart wrote: »
    1 has a fair amount of rare item grinding itself still

bloodborne is the easiest by a mile

The item grinding in DS1 is very minor. You have to do the game two and a half times, which nets you at least six eyes of death and all the sunlight medals you need, so you only need to find four eyes of death and ten souvenirs of reprisal, which actually drop reasonably often from the birdmen near the fire in the painted world.

I’m forgetting the grinding for some weapons, though. The channellers trident is a pain in particular.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Bloodborne is definitely the quickest, I did it in under 50 hours, but the game itself is pretty hard so that might balance out for you. Sekiro has the dumbest grind though. In theory you can use multiplayer to get all the medals and whatnot in the other games instead of grinding for them, but in Sekiro you have no choice. Just mindless killing over and over and over again.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    15 days

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I’m gonna slap such a helmet on that boy.

Disgusting human features can't replace true beauty.

Strange_069074_6104278.jpg

2565390439_90569d6b6a.jpg

2hibhj4gmdek.png

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Kinda what I expected. Unlucky that my first ds2 run got interrupted by that, though the offline invasions are solid, it just feels like not enough. For example I just ran through the area with ghost enemies. I'm imagining how different that feels if there's player ghosts roaming around too. Also I gotta kill the bosses myself and get less bad! How dare they ask that of me!

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    So wait, Elden Ring will be online but DS will not, if I'm reading this right?

• Options
    I believe that is true yes

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    So wait, Elden Ring will be online but DS will not, if I'm reading this right?

You're reading it correctly. I suspect it's easier to fix things in Elden Ring than it is to fix things across 3 different games on pc (four+ depending on how they count/treat stuff like Scholar vs DS2 and DS vs DS:Re), and well, it's waaaay more important for Elden Ring to be good to go on day one than it is for Dark Souls to be sorted out immediately.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
This discussion has been closed.