ZZub4JR.jpg?1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jziktWnfJcA

DEATH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGd--oZUBlA

LOOP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXv5IDp8y74

DEATHLOOP

Bethesda says:
“DEATHLOOP” transports players to the lawless island of Blackreef in an eternal struggle between two extraordinary assassins. Explore stunning environments and meticulously designed levels in an immersive gameplay experience that lets you approach every situation any way you like. Hunt down targets all over the island in an effort to put an end to the cycle once and for all, and remember, if at first you don’t succeed… die, die again.

I say:
DEATHLOOP

Information
Reviews

3921041c2c90bcd24c256349acefd5eb1b824872.gifv

TychoCelchuuu on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I mean I guess it makes sense that the studio isn't just going to close merely because Prey and Dishonored 2 (2 of the best games ever made) were sales disappointments to some degree, but it does warm my heart to see that they're getting to make another awesome game, which, if we're lucky, will be amazing like every other Arkane game has always been amazing. I don't have a clue how the game is going to work except that it's first-person and the trailer shows that there will be powers like in Dishonored and Prey, but whatever it ends up being, I'm so here for it.

DEATHLOOP!

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I haven’t seen the WHOLE Bethesda show, but this was the only game that really caught my attention.

Kinda hoping for some cool puzzles elements to the repeated death cycle. Like, remember those old Wario Land games where he couldn’t die? Like that but with shooting.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2019
    I'm 100% on board for another Arkane game.

EDIT: Also on board for yet another Haunting Cover of a Song. :D
    https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/i-fucking-live-for-haunting-covers-of-literally-any-son-1789737073

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    That looks right up my alley, like some kinda crazy mix of Majora's Mask, Hitman, and the Dishonored games.

I love gameplay that rewards optimizing your playstyle, I really hope the whole "kill all 8 guys before midnight" thing sticks and you don't get some widget that lets you cheap out and perma-death them one at a time. Having to figure out the best, fastest way to get all 8 of them while escaping the enemy assassin sounds like a blast to me.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Now they can make Prey 2.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Prey 2 is already my Game of the Year.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Prey Mooncrash is so good, glad to see them expanding on that idea. Even if it is a different team.

I am hoping this solves my main problem with dishonored, my physiological addiction to save scrumming.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Oops, all roguelikes.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Prey Mooncrash is so good, glad to see them expanding on that idea. Even if it is a different team.

I am hoping this solves my main problem with dishonored, my physiological addiction to save scrumming.

Oh yes Mooncrash was a great idea and a lot of fun to play. It makes me sad that none of my friends enjoyed Prey as much as I did.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    😃

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    After Prey I'm here day 1 for any game Arkane makes ever.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I still don't know what this game actually is. Is it Outer Wilds + Dishonored, or is it some kind of asymmetric multiplayer thing? Maybe with some of those weird "act like an NPC" mechanics? It's just hard to tell what the actual, pardon the pun, loop of the game play will be.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I’m indeed curious to see how much the time loop plays into gameplay. Like if it’s just an excuse to reload at checkpoint and try again then that’s a bit of a letdown. Hoping for something more Outer Wilds.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I still don't know what this game actually is. Is it Outer Wilds + Dishonored, or is it some kind of asymmetric multiplayer thing? Maybe with some of those weird "act like an NPC" mechanics? It's just hard to tell what the actual, pardon the pun, loop of the game play will be.
    The only multiplayer component is an optional Dark Souls invasion sort of thing: the woman in the trailer who is hunting you can be played by another player. Otherwise she's AI controlled. Apart from that I haven't paid much attention to the game and I also have no idea what the fuck it's going to be like.

• Options
    Ohhh I can't wait to get my hands on this game!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The pitches definitely made it sound like "Outer Wilds but murder," where you need to refine routes to complete a set of objectives before time resets each go.

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    The new trailer showed invader girl having the power to take on the appearance of any NPC. Since that wasn't in the first trailer, I wonder if they ended up adding that feature because testers got really good at spotting her right away and taking her out before she could accomplish any subterfuge? Seems like a pretty big change in the invasion dynamic regardless.

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Have the pc system requirements been released?

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Have the pc system requirements been released?

Looks like they were released today: https://www.vg247.com/deathloop-pc-specs-unlock-times#comments

Also unlocks Monday morning on STEAM if you are in the US. Will probably try it on PC first to see if performance is good.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Oh shit, this drops Tuesday? I've been dying for news about this game, Arkane is probably one of my top three devs right now.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I was considering paying the Aussie cost and buying physical just to have it a day earlier. AUD$100 (US$75) to have it on Tuesday local time, or US$55 (AUD$73) to have it on Wednesday local time. Decisions decisions...

26904.png
  • Options
    Oh my god. It's happening!

I pre-ordered this in November and assumed we weren't going to see it this year.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    As a dude who hasn't had any sort of backlog or anything like that in well over a decade the end of this year is wild.

Next month I'll have this, Judgment 2 and Kena all waiting and I'll need to choose what to play first... In a month with at least two more releases I want... dear lord.

How does one decide? Do I go release order? Do I do the shorter ones like this first? DO I base it on the type of game to keep more similar things apart?

How do people make these decisions?!

And then Nov, Dec AND Jan all have more big releases! Ahhh!

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I'm too on the fence to pick this up day 1, despite loving the Dishonored series. I really need to know if the loop plays out more like Majora's Mask, or a roguelike grindfest, or something in between.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I'm going day 1 just to support their endeavors even though it's going on the shelf for now.

But yea, it's not a Roguelike. If you go over the videos and gameplay explanations it's all laid out pretty well exactly how the whole thing works.

You're basically gathering information/setting up the win in a murder puzzle via time loop. Go to the different places(levels) at the different times(night/day) to get all the info you need to set-up the 1 day properly to get all the kills.

Heck you even get multiple lives on any given day!

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I feel like my understanding of "roguelike. . ." is pretty off then: I would expect a game where you can die and not lose personal progression but world progression is the definition of a roguelike.

. . .also the speedruns for this are going to be something else I'm sure; at least if the "High Chaos. . ." YouTube videos on DISHONORED are anything to go by.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    The vast majority of roguelikes do not save any kind of progression (which is, by no coincidence at all, why I have absolutely zero time for virtually any roguelike that chooses to employ that hugely time-wasting mechanic). Or they'll put the "progression" as stuff you unlock between runs to use during runs, which means you can get better stuff but your odds of getting anything specifically good go down (because there are more items, which is another mechanic I detest). So either heavily based on luck to win or heavily based on luck to win with some ways to improve the odds over time. Also, generally randomized levels and enemy placement and items.

This is definitely not a roguelike. It looks much more like an FPS combined with the whole Groundhog Day thing: die or reach the end of the day without fulfilling the as-yet-unknown objectives and the day resets. Everybody in the setting is aware of it, and there's specifically another assassin out there gunning for you.

I'm betting that, at a minimum, the powers we've seen are all going to be kept from run to run once you get them, as the game concept looks something like a "speedrun trainer", I guess. You've got stuff you need to do, there's no limit on how long it takes to figure it all out, but until you can get everything done in one day (unless there's a way to permanently delete certain people), you don't finish the game. And the various guns and powers are what accelerate that process, along with learning the layouts of places.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    ED! wrote: »
    I feel like my understanding of "roguelike. . ." is pretty off then: I would expect a game where you can die and not lose personal progression but world progression is the definition of a roguelike.

. . .also the speedruns for this are going to be something else I'm sure; at least if the "High Chaos. . ." YouTube videos on DISHONORED are anything to go by.

Everything is in set locations. It's not random. Your runs are about learning these specific details. That's already a huge difference.

Further it's not about trying to get further than your last run either. It's about going somewhere different and learning new information.

And then further further not only do you get multiple lives so a death isn't an instant restart but it's also an actual timeloop. So you will get resets without even dying. You can only do so much per day. So after that you reset and go to the next location.

All that together makes it just a game about time loops. Not a roguelike.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I had heard things that made it sound more like a Majora's Mask style loop, but I was still worried that there would be roguelike elements blended in just because of how hot roguelikes have been lately.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Holy shit. Has it been 2 years since my last post in here? I’m still hyped for any Arkane game. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Awesome, I'd never even heard of this game before but I love the Dishonored games and this seems super cool AND comes out next week. That's a nice feeling!

Watching the trailers I started getting kinda bummed seeing that this was a Playstation exclusive and didn't seem to have a PC version advertised, but it is indeed on the PC as well! Purchased on Steam now!

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    While i hope this is good, i'm def holding off till reviews and possibly a special hit. Just i dunno, gut instinct around these games.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    The wound of Cyberpunk is still far, far too bright and fresh for me to even remotely consider pre-purchasing any game for years yet.

I'll wait until I can find out that I'm not playing a broken-ass incomplete alpha that will stay that way for what is rapidly approaching a year now.

• Options
    While i hope this is good, i'm def holding off till reviews and possibly a special hit. Just i dunno, gut instinct around these games.
    "These games?" What kind of games? Death games, loop games, or deathloop games, or what?

• Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    A Microsoft Studios exclusive game on consoles for PS5? Awkward

Not sold yet on the time loop mechanic and whether it will keep games interesting to repeat, but it's arkane so definitely following it up.
    Dishonored games were good, but Prey was absolutely fantastic.

Alegis on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I have preordered this for PS5 and I am excited. Love the groundhog day concept, love the idea of being hunted by another person, love the idea of getting to BE the hunter hunting another player.