As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Invisibility or Flight?

ValcienValcien Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
So listen to this mp3 exerpt from a radio show and vote which you would want. A couple of the more important points if you don't want to download: flight is limited to 1000 mph, and if you fly too high or too fast, you are subject to thinning air and temperatures. While invisible, objects you hold are not invisible, but clothes you were wearing when you turned invisible are. You are also not silent or incorporeal. Whichever power you shoose, you are the only person in the world with a super power. Thanks.

http://www.sho.com/site/thisamericanlife/season1/includes/flash/369_flightvsinvisibility.mp3

I personally think this guy is a moron, the way he speaks with an ominous tone, almost as if he has some grim news about the state of American morality.

People aren't "negotiating their dreams" with you stupid fuck, they want more information beyond "Flight or invisibility?", to make an informed decision.

I also completely disagree with his assertion that invisibilty is for voyeuristic peepers and flight is for people with delusions of heroism. My friend, the guy who introduced me to comic books so long ago, (thank you), and I are quite interested in the results. If you could be so kind to post your reasons for your decision. Thank you so much.

Valcien on

• Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Flight. Just because it would be so awesome.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    D.T.D.T. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Flight. I don't know that I'd try and become a hero (really, what good could I do if I can fly, but I'm still just as vulnerable and strong as I am now?) but I'd definitely use it to help people whenever the opportunity presented itself.

There's something about the freedom to leap into the sky and go where ever you want on a moment's notice that is incredibly appealing to me. Plus, I'm afraid of flying, so having complete and total control over a fear like that would do wonders.

Invisibility just doesn't do it for me. It seems like it would get old.

D.T. on
    DxTiddy.png
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Flight.

Invisibility is much easier to simulate, and much less valuable unless you want to become a military toy.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Flight.

Hands down.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    PillsAreNicePillsAreNice Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Can't I have both? Like Martian Manhunter (he can be invisible, right?)

I would have to go with invisible. It would be much more practical. Flight would be too attention getting. The government would have you tranquilized and shipped off to a lab before you knew it.
    This is the one thing that I find most unbelievable about the comic Ex Machina. The second Mitch Hundred came out as The Great Machine George Bush would've had his ass kidnapped and hauled off for lab testing.

PillsAreNice on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    See my game reviews at: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=strangegamer
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Dude.

Just do your flying at night.

Also mow down some corn fields in funny patterns.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yes, the risk of being caught and hunted down is the primary issue I'd have with flight. But what does invisibility really get me? It's just subterfuge, mostly thievery. I'd not have much use for spying(and you'd still have to be able to get around without people seeing doors open or close, or hear your footsteps).

Then you've got flight, which would be vastly more fun, and has its own practical benefits(escape, like invisibility would offer), and greatly improved travel. But mainly, it's the fun thing.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Dude.

Just do your flying at night.

Also mow down some corn fields in funny patterns.

You'd hit a tree flying in the dark and I'd be sitting there laughing my invisible ass off.

PillsAreNice on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Flying seems more practical, but at the same time, I would totally be down for some voyeurism. But since you aren't incorporeal or silent, the possibilities still seem limited.

Flight, most likely--assuming that people didn't flip the fuck out every time you went by, etc etc.

MrMister on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    invisibility

flight seems fun, but there are so many things i would use invisibility for

i think that there are equitable uses of flight, but it comes down to an interpersonal curiosity over one of the natural world and independent exploration of it

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    MrMister wrote: »
    Flying seems more practical, but at the same time, I would totally be down for some voyeurism. But since you aren't incorporeal or silent, the possibilities still seem limited.

Flight, most likely--assuming that people didn't flip the fuck out every time you went by, etc etc.

Exactly. I'd probably pick "phasing" a la Kitty Pryde over flight. Even that isn't all that practical, but it's even better for stealing and voyeurism(to an extent, like if you can just peek your eyes/nose through a wall or ceiling and go unnoticed), plus it gives you significant survivability, and better satisfaction of your curiosity through exploration.

There are lots and lots of powers better than flight, but invisibility was a particularly poor choice.

Septus on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Honestly I'd mostly use flight for getting to places quicker.. For that reason alone it'd be worth it. Free holidays!

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Invisibility
    I want to see if I can sneak up on a squirrel.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    If we can pick anything I'd go with TK. Moving things with your mind would be so practical.

Plus I could use it to eat peoples brains.

PillsAreNice on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    1) I can see rather well in the dark. Especially since there are things called moons and street lights.

2) ...Dude... squirrels aren't THAT hard to sneak up on.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well it depends on what flight speed you can do. If all you can only fly at walking or running speed, then you can't exactly fly your way to Tahiti for a weekend in the sun and be back at work on Monday.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If I have to choose between the two, flight. It's the stuff some of my basic dreams are made of.

Plus, I could wear a cape. Fuck that would be cool. Just imagine. Flying with a cape!

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    1) I can see rather well in the dark. Especially since there are things called moons and street lights.

To the point where you can actually grab one? Hell no.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I would totally choose flight. Just because it will become so much easier to see my girlfriend then. :P

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Grabbing one is more a matter of waving a piece of food in front of it, and not fearing rabies.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Invisibility. Much more versatile. Less likely to attract unwanted attention.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Grabbing one is more a matter of waving a piece of food in front of it, and not fearing rabies.

Another advantage, you wouldn't have to worry about being bitten if you sneak up on it.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

There's no rabies in the UK, nyer. But all our cute red squirrels are going. :(

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Flight would be more practical and invisibility could possibly be detrimental. I'd go with flight, especially considering the max speed allowed of 1000 MPH. Of course, I don't think an unprotected human body could withstand the pressures.

Bonus of not having to pay for gas when taking a personal trip would rock.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Flight, easily.

One of the questions on the Wii vote channel is invincibility vs. telepathy. Who the hell would pick telepathy?

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Oh, I missed the 1000MPH part. Yeah, flying at 1000MPH >> being invisible.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    It doesn't matter if it's night. Somebody is going to see you and word of it is going to get to the military. You'll be flying down to see your girlfriend and a sniper will shoot you out of the sky with a tranq dart. The next thing you know you'll be brainwashed and hauling bombs over Iran. Not cool.

PillsAreNice on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Elendil wrote: »
    Flight, easily.

One of the questions on the Wii vote channel is invincibility vs. telepathy. Who the hell would pick telepathy?
    I would, for the same reasons I chose invisibility

I can just think of many more scenarios which are much more fun for me personally that involve telepathy than invincibility

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Flight, easily.

I would. Knowing what people think would make life so much easier. Being able to put ideas in their heads, either for non-verbal communication or to subtly manipulate them, would be a bonus.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It doesn't matter if it's night. Somebody is going to see you and word of it is going to get to the military. You'll be flying down to see your girlfriend and a sniper will shoot you out of the sky with a tranq dart. The next thing you know you'll be brainwashed and hauling bombs over Iran. Not cool.

Why would they use you instead of a jet to bomb Iran? O_o

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Flight, easily.

Telepathy is my absolute favorite power. Think of the vast stores of knowledge it gives you access to(I'm talking about relatively powerful telepathy here), the influence over other people. Invincibility is nice, but I'm not exactly in harm's way terribly often. But telepathy? That's an ability that could get you into a position of great wealth and influence

Septus on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'd totally go all Gawain and the Green Knight on dudes if I was invincible.

It'd be awesome.

Elendil on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Who the hell would pick telepathy?

Holy shit, I would.

You have no idea.

Basically telepathy > telekinesis > invisibility > flight.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I was sold on flight as soon as the question was posed. That one dude in the .mp3 said it best, flight groupies. I mean, seriously, who would want to have sex with an invisible person?

Grid System on
  • Options
    Mega PlayboyMega Playboy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I would take telepathy. I live in Las Vegas and I would clean up at the poker table.:lol:

Mega Playboy on
    Trying to help out my step dad check out his youtube channel
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    My problem with flight?
    Snipers.
    If somebody is fucked up enough to kill John Lennon, somebody's fucked up enough to kill the only flying human being in the world.

Feral on

• Options
    edited May 2007
    I would take telepathy. I live in Las Vegas and I would clean up at the poker table.:lol:

I would clean up at the singles bars.

Feral on

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I was sold on flight as soon as the question was posed. That one dude in the .mp3 said it best, flight groupies. I mean, seriously, who would want to have sex with an invisible person?

I didn't realize it until just this second... but, me.

The concept never occurred to me.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Also, telepathy is one of few abilities that you can exercise without anyone knowing.

Septus on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

I don't really think that would work, would it? In a lot of the bigger stakes card games, like Texas Hold'Em, the dealer doesn't know what the current hand is any more than the players.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.