Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Nintendo Switch] New portable only Lite Switch launching in Sept for $200!

16566687071

Posts

  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    Fire Emblem last Month, Astral Chain this month and Daemon X Machina next month.

    What a time!

    And then Link's Awakening and Dragon Quest XI. I have no idea how to prioritize my time.

    Thinking of skipping Astral Chain for now as I think I'm too old to enjoy those spectacle fighter games anymore. I'm too slow at them, the mechanics increasingly confuse me, and my wife doesn't like when I cuss at video games. And really fast paced games always get me cussing.

    Plus, I've never really gotten a Platinum game. Bayonetta consistently felt like I was playing it "wrong" and I don't have any clue how to adjust my playstyle towards "right". Wonderful 101 I tried the demo for, and also couldn't figure out what I was doing.

    I donno, maybe if they release an Astral Chain demo I'll give it a try. But the risk reward ratio to me, as well as the avalanche of other things coming out, is putting it on the bottom of my list.

    Yea that makes sense. They might do a demo!

    And I don't do remakes(no Link's Awakanening or DQXI for me) or indie games so prior to Fire Emblem I hadn't turned on my Switch in almost a full year.

    So just having these 3 games over 3 months is pretty huge for me.

    Like, any indie games at all? Or on the switch? Bwah?

    Rich on Beer - I talk about drinking beer. You read about it.
    dipuc4life
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion The Land of Flowers (and Dragons)Registered User regular
    Man, there are so many good indies on the Switch, though. That seems a shame.

  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »
    Hahaha my 5 year old and I decided to spend a token on Mario Kart 8, and she got addicted immediately. Got tired of it today though, so thankfully is willingly doing other activities, but her controller coordination is improving daily and I fear my reign as console master of the house is numbered.

    My daughter is the Queen of Mario Kart in our house...

    Mine too. My daughter destroys me in Mario Kart in my son destroys me in Super Smash Brothers. My skills have left me. :(

    Who won when your daughter played mine? I'll have to ask. I'm sure they would like a rematch.

    And I've always sucked at Smash. I can't keep track of my character in the chaos and finally find myself when I'm falling to my death.

    I'll have to ask because I'm not sure.

    The only rule of child fight club is...

    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    Handsome Costanza
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    It's not your fault, Viskod. 1 out of every 10 people just happens to be a monster.
    KoopahTroopahSeptusNitsuaBigJoeMChiselphaneShadowfireGrundlestiltskinshoeboxjeddyLegacy
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I don't get not doing indie games. Where do you even draw the line? What size developer is your cutoff? Like is Binding of Isaac ok but not Cat Quest? Is Rocket League indie?

    DaveTheWaveLegacy
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    dq xi is not a rmake it's the actual best version of the game
    and I didn't play or buy any other version before so it's 100% new to me :D

    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    TalithTDawgNamrokskeldaredresdenphileIceBurnerDoctorArch
  • Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »
    Hahaha my 5 year old and I decided to spend a token on Mario Kart 8, and she got addicted immediately. Got tired of it today though, so thankfully is willingly doing other activities, but her controller coordination is improving daily and I fear my reign as console master of the house is numbered.

    My daughter is the Queen of Mario Kart in our house...

    Mine too. My daughter destroys me in Mario Kart in my son destroys me in Super Smash Brothers. My skills have left me. :(

    Who won when your daughter played mine? I'll have to ask. I'm sure they would like a rematch.

    And I've always sucked at Smash. I can't keep track of my character in the chaos and finally find myself when I'm falling to my death.

    I'll have to ask because I'm not sure.

    The only rule of child fight club is...

    I just asked and apparently they have never raced against each other. We have failed as parents...

    dipuc4life
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    shadowane wrote: »
    Namrok wrote: »
    Fire Emblem last Month, Astral Chain this month and Daemon X Machina next month.

    What a time!

    And then Link's Awakening and Dragon Quest XI. I have no idea how to prioritize my time.

    Thinking of skipping Astral Chain for now as I think I'm too old to enjoy those spectacle fighter games anymore. I'm too slow at them, the mechanics increasingly confuse me, and my wife doesn't like when I cuss at video games. And really fast paced games always get me cussing.

    Plus, I've never really gotten a Platinum game. Bayonetta consistently felt like I was playing it "wrong" and I don't have any clue how to adjust my playstyle towards "right". Wonderful 101 I tried the demo for, and also couldn't figure out what I was doing.

    I donno, maybe if they release an Astral Chain demo I'll give it a try. But the risk reward ratio to me, as well as the avalanche of other things coming out, is putting it on the bottom of my list.

    Yea that makes sense. They might do a demo!

    And I don't do remakes(no Link's Awakanening or DQXI for me) or indie games so prior to Fire Emblem I hadn't turned on my Switch in almost a full year.

    So just having these 3 games over 3 months is pretty huge for me.

    Like, any indie games at all? Or on the switch? Bwah?

    Just in general!

    And I don't mean I have some magic rule where if something is from an indie dev I won't look at it, that would be silly.

    I just don't like the kind of games that are usually made by indie devs as the kind of stuff I enjoy usually requires a larger budget.

    Like I straight up have no interest in sprite based games. Or games that have too old school of a look or anything like that. I prefer games with VA. I prefer games that have longer play-times and are narrative based.

    Just most the things I like means that a vast majority of the time an indie game just isn't the kind of game for. Doesn't mean I wouldn't give a game a shot if it looks good! But it's so rare it's the exception that proves the rule sort of thing.

    desc wrote: »
    ~ * ~ Week-Long Dance-a-thon Booty Ribbon ~ * ~
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I don't get not doing indie games. Where do you even draw the line? What size developer is your cutoff? Like is Binding of Isaac ok but not Cat Quest? Is Rocket League indie?

    See above. It's not the fact that something is indie, it's what indie generally entails.

    desc wrote: »
    ~ * ~ Week-Long Dance-a-thon Booty Ribbon ~ * ~
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    I can see that RE: Indies.

    I mean some of them take things to a whole new place, equally rivaling the AAA in terms of gameplay quality and story, even if on a production budget. I'm thinking stuff like Hollow Knight, Shovel Knight or Into the Breach.

    Others... well they are clearly a budget me-too version of better AAA games. I was profoundly underwhelmed by Mercenaries Saga for example. Frankly the majority of indies are clearly "lesser" versions all around. They lack mechanical flourish and polish, as well as production values. Many have the distinct feel of having been a Unity Tutorial the person just kept working on.

    It's just easier to let the cream rise to the top. After more than a year I was still hearing about Hollow Knight, so I grabbed it. Other games I've been on the fence about have vanished almost as quickly as they appeared, and I seem to be none the worse off for having missed them.

    Chiselphane
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    it's so peculiar to dislike a whole graphical form with so many different styles
    It's like saying you dislike oil paintings or music with pianos

    but to each its own, first and foremost.

    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    Lindsay LohanskeldareDaveTheWaveshoeboxjeddyEnc
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Knights and Breach games may do their story content/dialogue very well but they don't have nearly as much of it as your Dad of Wars and Last of Us. You can't really call them cinematic experiences like the latter games, and I wouldn't tell anyone looking for that to play the former games no matter their quality.

  • urahonkyurahonky Dayton, OHRegistered User regular
    edited August 14
    I like indie games because they are usually short, fun games without any of the bullshit microtransactions/lootboxes for $20 or less. Too many games are 50+ hours nowadays and I don't have time for that.

    edit: He says as he finishes Fire Emblem.

    urahonky on
    Lindsay LohanskeldareMNC DoverPolaritieEtheacloudeagleakjakSeptuskimeshoeboxjeddyTimFijitemperature!PailryderEncTDawg
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    it's so peculiar to dislike a whole graphical form with so many different styles
    It's like saying you dislike oil paintings or music with pianos

    but to each its own, first and foremost.

    Hmm. I don't actually think it's that weird at all to like and dislike visual styles. That actually seems like a very common aspect that causes people to like and dislike things!

    desc wrote: »
    ~ * ~ Week-Long Dance-a-thon Booty Ribbon ~ * ~
    MulletudeNitsua
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I couldn’t imagine limiting the games you play just based on visual style or lack of VA or just because of the games budget.

    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    MNC DoverLindsay Lohanshoeboxjeddytemperature!Enc
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I think it feels odd because sprite based isn't necessarily a style of game. It would be like if I said I don't like games that use 3d graphics. That could be anything from Okami to Madden to Katamari which all have super different looks to them.

    But if that's your thing, that's your thing. I'm an indie fan so I'm prejudiced too. I've bounced off Red Dead 2 several times but I'm hooked on Cat Quest, so who am I to judge quality!

    skeldareMNC Dovertemperature!
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat Brave Sir Robin Registered User regular
    I wouldn't play League because I hated the color palette so I get it. And I would never touch Factorio, but stick it in 3D and I suddenly love Satisfactory. It's A Thing.

    3clipse wrote: »
    God is dead and life has no purpose.
    DemonStacey
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited August 14
    skeldare wrote: »
    I couldn’t imagine limiting the games you play just based on visual style or lack of VA or just because of the games budget.

    Considering how many people on these boards say they don't have enough time to play all the games they would like to I think it's working out pretty well for me! I buy and play every single game that interests me when it comes out and never worry about any sort of backlog.

    Plus it's not me artificially limiting what I play. I feel like that's getting missed here. I'm just not playing games that I wouldn't enjoy.

    DemonStacey on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * ~ Week-Long Dance-a-thon Booty Ribbon ~ * ~
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Game Designer/Stay-at-home Dad Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I get that. I'm kind of the opposite in that I don't typically care for the average AAA title and open-world games are right out. My favorite example was how I loved Batman: Arkham Asylum and despised Arkham City.

    Twitch Page
    Hearthstone: mncdover#1994
    Nintendo Network ID: MNC.Dover
    3DS: 1934-0659-5183
    Steam ID
    DemonStaceyakjakWraithverge
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat Brave Sir Robin Registered User regular
    edited August 14
    I wouldn't play League because I hated the color palette so I get it. And I would never touch Factorio, but stick it in 3D and I suddenly love Satisfactory. It's A Thing.

    Oh, and this came up a bit in one of the various Best Zelda discussions. I like the 2D Zelda games well and good, but I couldn't fathom them ever entering the conversation for the "best" Zelda because of how limiting the 2D perspective is compared to 3D (at least in games where the writing is never going to a strong suit) in terms of how I process it. It's a core part of my ability to experience a game in full that I can look around and actually see what's around me, and I don't feel immersed otherwise. And then there's people who feel the opposite for their own valid reasons!

    Opinions are bad and dumb, basically.

    The Escape Goat on
    3clipse wrote: »
    God is dead and life has no purpose.
    DemonStacey
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited August 14
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I get that. I'm kind of the opposite in that I don't typically care for the average AAA title and open-world games are right out. My favorite example was how I loved Batman: Arkham Asylum and despised Arkham City.

    Yea! There are lots of people who like games that are quick to pick up and play. Lots of people that specifically like games that are basically just a game and not some sort of narrative follow. That's the kinda stuff they prefer! I don't personally enjoy those kind of games *at all*. But I fully understand that other people like that and want that.

    That's why it's pretty cool that there are so many different kinds of games coming out these days. Lots of stuff for lots of different people.

    Like shit, If I only have an hour of free time I won't even start up a game. That's not enough time for me to get into and really enjoy games. I like the kinda game that you just sink into for hours at a time. I'm all about being immersed in a world and story and I need certain kinds of visuals to really help me get lost in that world. Doesn't need to be realistic or anything. But sprites and 2d animations and stuff don't really allow me to really visualize the game as a real world.

    DemonStacey on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * ~ Week-Long Dance-a-thon Booty Ribbon ~ * ~
  • Raybies666Raybies666 A bedroom in IrelandRegistered User regular
    I can't see myself buying those SNES controllers, if it's a similar thing to the NES controllers.

    I totally understand why joycons cost the amount they do, and that the NES controllers are cut down from that and priced accordingly.

    It's just too much money for me to pay for NES/SNES controllers, especially with the Ireland tax of 20 euro postage.

    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

    I remember when I had time to be good at games.
    Handsome Costanza
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    The Escape GoatBarrakkethDonnictonMNC DoverDark Raven XAbsoluteZeroTeeManRidleySariaNitsuaXerinkKoopahTroopahEnc
  • urahonkyurahonky Dayton, OHRegistered User regular
    edited August 14
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I get that. I'm kind of the opposite in that I don't typically care for the average AAA title and open-world games are right out. My favorite example was how I loved Batman: Arkham Asylum and despised Arkham City.

    Yea! There are lots of people who like games that are quick to pick up and play. Lots of people that specifically like games that are basically just a game and not some sort of narrative follow. That's the kinda stuff they prefer! I don't personally enjoy those kind of games *at all*. But I fully understand that other people like that and want that.

    That's why it's pretty cool that there are so many different kinds of games coming out these days. Lots of stuff for lots of different people.

    Like shit, If I only have an hour of free time I won't even start up a game. That's not enough time for me to get into and really enjoy games. I like the kinda game that you just sink into for hours at a time. I'm all about being immersed in a world and story and I need certain kinds of visuals to really help me get lost in that world. Doesn't need to be realistic or anything. But sprites and 2d animations and stuff don't really allow me to really visualize the game as a real world.

    To preface this: I don't think anyone here is calling your opinion wrong or anything. The reason why it's weird is that it's an odd way to draw the line... Allow me to quickly explain while my code is deploying:

    I get that some people might not enjoy Racing games, Fighting games, or Open World games. Those are all genres in the overall Video Game umbrella (as it were). Indie games aren't a genre because indie games can also be Racing, Fighting, or Open World games. So the line in the sand is the number of people who worked on the game, it seems. You say that indie games don't have narratives or anything like that but that's not quite true. Firewatch is an example of an indie game with voice acting and a fantastic narrative.

    So maybe you just don't like pixel indie games which is fine (hell, even hating on indie games is fine, just trying to clarify why everyone seems taken aback by what you said).

    I can 10000% empathize about gaming time though. Adding in AAA games and indie games means I have almost 0 time to enjoy them (especially with 3 kids and 2 jobs). Again, not saying you're wrong or anything like that! Just trying to clarify.

    urahonky on
    skeldare
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I wouldn't play League because I hated the color palette so I get it. And I would never touch Factorio, but stick it in 3D and I suddenly love Satisfactory. It's A Thing.

    Oh, and this came up a bit in one of the various Best Zelda discussions. I like the 2D Zelda games well and good, but I couldn't fathom them ever entering the conversation for the "best" Zelda because of how limiting the 2D perspective is compared to 3D (at least in games where the writing is never going to a strong suit) in terms of how I process it. It's a core part of my ability to experience a game in full that I can look around and actually see what's around me, and I don't feel immersed otherwise. And then there's people who feel the opposite for their own valid reasons!

    Opinions are bad and dumb, basically.

    Personally, I've noticed that the "better" and "more realistic" a game's graphics are, generally the less I can actually tell what the bloody fuck is going on and the less immersed I can get. So 2D games end up feeling better to me, and in 3D games I favor simplistic, expressive styles.

    Like one of my primary problems as a MonHun player trying World is that I just. Can't see shit. Like, legitimately, I'm a guy with over 2K hours in older monhuns but in World I just get mauled because my brain just can't read things with the more realistic and detailed graphics.

    Steam ID: Right here.
    akjakLordSolarMacharius
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza RIP Iwata-san..... ...and thanks for the Switch, you magnificent bastard.Registered User regular
    Raybies666 wrote: »
    I can't see myself buying those SNES controllers, if it's a similar thing to the NES controllers.

    I totally understand why joycons cost the amount they do, and that the NES controllers are cut down from that and priced accordingly.

    It's just too much money for me to pay for NES/SNES controllers, especially with the Ireland tax of 20 euro postage.

    Yeah I'd rather just use the SNES and NES Classic controllers w/adapter.

    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    On the indie front Cat Quest for $5 is wonderful. It's charming and you can make progress on side quests in small bursts of time which I love.

    I also bought Wonder Boy for $10 but i immediately got stuck so aside from saying it's mind numbingly pretty I can't say much about it yet.

    Legacy
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Personally, I've noticed that the "better" and "more realistic" a game's graphics are, generally the less I can actually tell what the bloody fuck is going on and the less immersed I can get. So 2D games end up feeling better to me, and in 3D games I favor simplistic, expressive styles.
    When I started playing Deus Ex: Mankind Divided a couple of years ago, my first play-session just wigged me out completely. DX:MD isn't the paragon of graphical fidelity or whatever, but it's very pretty and very detailed. The interactables in the world blend in with the rest of the world, because it's trying to be simulationist. If you see a can, you ought to be able to go over there and kick it; if you see a door, you ought to be able to open it. Maybe that'll be attainable at some point, but for now we're just not there - some doors are static parts of the level geometry and some are interactive props. With time, you might learn how to the tell them apart through visual cues, but the first time I sat down I was just overwhelmed because my brain couldn't figure out which part of the the game was the game. The thing I love about games of that sort - the thing that gets my dopamine flowing, the reason I play them - is being able to collect all the collectables, hack every computer, read every email, open every secret door, etc. Not being able to parse out which were the things I could interact with was giving me genuine anxiety. It was an experience that I'd never really had before then.

    I discovered that there's an option to add a highlight to interactable objects, turned it on without an ounce of remorse, re-played the first section of the game, and absolutely loved my time with it. But, it was a very interesting experience that made me think about how games have conditioned me to look for tells to figure out what the contours of the game are, and without those tells I'm staring into an abyss. It also made me think of old Scooby-Doo cartoons, where you could tell at a glance which part of the boulder was about to break off because the art on the static background painting looked considerably different from the art on the animation cel.

    McFodderdipuc4life
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I am very wary of "indie" games as well, and do a lot more review reading before I pick one up. It boils down to high budget games needing to appeal to a larger audience, and having more people to provide oversight, which in turn means that most AA-and-AAA games are well tutorialized and avoid hard failure states.

    My favorite-not-favorite example is Recettear, which was hugely popular a few years ago when we were just starting to get Japanese indie games on Steam. It's a cute shop management game where you are horrifically in debt and need to buy your way out of it before a fairy repossesses your family home.

    It's not intended to be won on your first play through. You're expected to fail the first time but then have a ton of resources left over for the next game loop so you can actually win on your second time through.

    It doesn't explain this anywhere.

    So, if you just stockpile resources and stop trying to "win" on your first pass, you will be in much better shape than someone who doesn't do this.

    Or, like me, you can get to the end of a six hour play through and then realize that you need to play it a second time to build up resources and then a third time to use those resources to win, and then you chuck it in the virtual bin.

    This sort of thing isn't COMPLETELY unheard of in the higher-budget space (Dead Rising is an example of a AAA game you're expected to fail at at first), but it's generally unheard of because someone, at some point, will go "wait, this might actually annoy a reviewer and cost us a couple of points on Metacritic and there goes our bonus"

  • urahonkyurahonky Dayton, OHRegistered User regular
    You may have inadvertently sold me on Recettear lol

    FrybaudattitudeDark Raven XKoopahTroopahXerinkdipuc4life
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    You may have inadvertently sold me on Recettear lol

    Now I want to go back and play it more. Never did finish it.

    RkyXDNV.pngjswidget.php?username=ArcSyn&numitems=5&header=0&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    Polaritie
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    You may have inadvertently sold me on Recettear lol

    It's good! There is a fuck ton of content, it is hiding a surprisingly complex and detailed jrpg with fun mechanics under it's cries of capatlism ho!

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    urahonkykime
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    You may have inadvertently sold me on Recettear lol

    Well it is an adorable game and you are now forewarned that you will probably need an NG+ cycle to actually finish it, so I feel I have provided a public service.

    urahonky
  • urahonkyurahonky Dayton, OHRegistered User regular
    Games with that mechanic are great for me. Part of the reason I loved Romancing SaGa on the SNES was that you did a New Game+ and lots of progress carried over so you could get further into it.

    BigJoeM
  • akjakakjak Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    I wouldn't play League because I hated the color palette so I get it. And I would never touch Factorio, but stick it in 3D and I suddenly love Satisfactory. It's A Thing.

    Oh, and this came up a bit in one of the various Best Zelda discussions. I like the 2D Zelda games well and good, but I couldn't fathom them ever entering the conversation for the "best" Zelda because of how limiting the 2D perspective is compared to 3D (at least in games where the writing is never going to a strong suit) in terms of how I process it. It's a core part of my ability to experience a game in full that I can look around and actually see what's around me, and I don't feel immersed otherwise. And then there's people who feel the opposite for their own valid reasons!

    Opinions are bad and dumb, basically.

    Personally, I've noticed that the "better" and "more realistic" a game's graphics are, generally the less I can actually tell what the bloody fuck is going on and the less immersed I can get. So 2D games end up feeling better to me, and in 3D games I favor simplistic, expressive styles.

    Like one of my primary problems as a MonHun player trying World is that I just. Can't see shit. Like, legitimately, I'm a guy with over 2K hours in older monhuns but in World I just get mauled because my brain just can't read things with the more realistic and detailed graphics.

    ...and this is why I fail hard at Borderlands.

    3DS Friend Code: 3737-9749-7483
    Puzzle&Dragons: 399,873,301
  • FiggyFiggy Registered User regular
    edited August 14
    Saying you don't like indie games because you like games with narrative is like saying you don't like dogs because you like pets with longer fur.

    There are plenty of examples of indie games with narrative. And voice overs. And length. And great graphics.

    You don't dislike dogs, you just don't like short fur.

    Pet more dogs and I think you'll find some you've missed out on.

    Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment · Website : www.nathanswyers.com
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It's easy enough to say that the only thing important to a movie is the story, and I should enjoy it regardless of production value. And on a certain level, you're not wrong.

    Doesn't mean I don't want an Avengers: Endgame every now and then though.

    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    PSN: TheWolfman64 3DS/Pokemon Y: 0774-4614-4065/NNID: the_wolfman64
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 15
    Drascin wrote: »
    I wouldn't play League because I hated the color palette so I get it. And I would never touch Factorio, but stick it in 3D and I suddenly love Satisfactory. It's A Thing.

    Oh, and this came up a bit in one of the various Best Zelda discussions. I like the 2D Zelda games well and good, but I couldn't fathom them ever entering the conversation for the "best" Zelda because of how limiting the 2D perspective is compared to 3D (at least in games where the writing is never going to a strong suit) in terms of how I process it. It's a core part of my ability to experience a game in full that I can look around and actually see what's around me, and I don't feel immersed otherwise. And then there's people who feel the opposite for their own valid reasons!

    Opinions are bad and dumb, basically.

    Personally, I've noticed that the "better" and "more realistic" a game's graphics are, generally the less I can actually tell what the bloody fuck is going on and the less immersed I can get. So 2D games end up feeling better to me, and in 3D games I favor simplistic, expressive styles.

    Like one of my primary problems as a MonHun player trying World is that I just. Can't see shit. Like, legitimately, I'm a guy with over 2K hours in older monhuns but in World I just get mauled because my brain just can't read things with the more realistic and detailed graphics.

    I can understand this, I saw trailers a while back for the Turok games on Switch and as bad as it looks nowadays, the main thing I took away from it was...wow it's a little refreshing to see a game so clear about This Is A Wall, This Is The Ground, This Is An Enemy. Everything is very clearly delineated and that probably makes for really precise gameplay by comparison to the mazes of foliage we get these days.

    UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • McFodderMcFodder 'SploringRegistered User regular
    Which is funny to me, because the original just said This Is Fog!

    Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / NNID: Fodder185
    AbsoluteZerorahkeesh2000urahonkyDr. Phibbs McAtheyKoopahTroopahPhoenix-DCameron_Talleydipuc4life
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    I wouldn't play League because I hated the color palette so I get it. And I would never touch Factorio, but stick it in 3D and I suddenly love Satisfactory. It's A Thing.

    Oh, and this came up a bit in one of the various Best Zelda discussions. I like the 2D Zelda games well and good, but I couldn't fathom them ever entering the conversation for the "best" Zelda because of how limiting the 2D perspective is compared to 3D (at least in games where the writing is never going to a strong suit) in terms of how I process it. It's a core part of my ability to experience a game in full that I can look around and actually see what's around me, and I don't feel immersed otherwise. And then there's people who feel the opposite for their own valid reasons!

    Opinions are bad and dumb, basically.

    Personally, I've noticed that the "better" and "more realistic" a game's graphics are, generally the less I can actually tell what the bloody fuck is going on and the less immersed I can get. So 2D games end up feeling better to me, and in 3D games I favor simplistic, expressive styles.

    Like one of my primary problems as a MonHun player trying World is that I just. Can't see shit. Like, legitimately, I'm a guy with over 2K hours in older monhuns but in World I just get mauled because my brain just can't read things with the more realistic and detailed graphics.

    I can understand this, I saw trailers a while back for the Turok games on Switch and as bad as it looks nowadays, the main thing I took away from it was...wow it's a little refreshing to see a game so clear about This Is A Wall, This Is The Ground, This Is An Enemy. Everything is very clearly delineated and that probably makes for really precise gameplay by comparison to the mazes of foliage we get these days.


    That actually reminds me how back in the day, all my super competitive friends played every FPS at the lowest settings. It had a higher framerate sure, but also everything popped a lot more. Every character model and power up no longer had lighting that matched the environment. They stuck out like a sore thumb.

Sign In or Register to comment.