As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

E3 is over. Start your GOTY speculation

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Nirya wrote: »
    Gita Jackson - "Speed Racer is a masterpiece"

Rest of panel - *claps in approval*

I'm so happy with all of them.

a similar thing happened when someone mentioned alita battle angel which confirms a theory I had

ReynoldsDarkPrimus
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a bunch of fortnite mascots dancing for a reporter - forever.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Woo Phil Spencer first guest tomorrow on GB.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Fire Emblem and Wolfenstein coming out on the same day is a personal attack on my free time

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Woo Phil Spencer first guest tomorrow on GB.

Phil Spencer is a complete and total shill, but he's so honest and enthusiastic about it I can't help but love the dude

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Shorty wrote: »
    I typically approach lethality like it is a tool to be avoided

like most of the time the guys you're fighting in these games are just dudes punchin' a clock, I'll usually try and not kill them unless they really force my hand

like in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, I mostly don't kill anyone, except for that part when all these dudes with rockets and machineguns are trying to kill my extremely nice helicopter pilot friend, and that other part when they murder a building full of civilians to try and find you

you do shit like that and you're gonna get sorted

fuck these are the two exact moments I killed people in DE:HR as well, spent the rest of the game sneaking and knocking people out (except the prologue, I shot everyone in the prologue because that was my job)

the game has its problems but it really did hammer home some story points exceptionally well here and there

Anzekay on
    Olivaw
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Is links awakening good asking for a friend who is me.

• PeewiPeewi I edited this in 2024 I edited this in 2024Registered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »

yes

ReynoldsSorceph blakeStiltsGrey Ghostel_viciomiscellaneousinsanitydarunia106LegacyShortyjkylefultonAistanPMAversKevin CristLucedesButtersPwnanObrienMidnite
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfvk6CJ3v34

Yes, and it helped Zelda evolve to what it is today.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    ReynoldsSorcewanderingPwnanObrien
    Mr. G wrote: »

God it'd be wonderful if Keanu Reeves did even a little bit of voice work for this. That the film makers and one of the choreographers are involved too is super awesome.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

Gameplay footage in the article makes this statement feel disingenuous

It’s not turn-based like “I go then you go,” but it is turn-based in the sense that, like Frozen Synapse, the “turns” happen at the same time

So the game pauses to allow you to make decisions, which you make based on current and predicted information, and then you hit a button and the next second or two plays out, and then the game pauses again

That’s a turn-based game in my mind

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    StiltsReynoldsNeveronLegacyAthenorAistanKwoaru
  • NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Yeah, IGOUGO and WEGO are both turn-based systems.

clearly it's Real Time With Pause

• VeagleVeagle Registered User regular

The article mentions a feature that I've been wanting for years.
    Similarly, too, John Wick Hex will have a replay feature, which developer Mike Bithell can't talk about at the moment.

I think Ronin was the first game I really wanted this for.

steam_sig.png
    Olivaw
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    so I watched the Fallen Order demo and when Saw Gerrera showed up I thought to myself "man, that's not a good Forest Whitaker impression"

Forest Whitaker is reprising his role as Saw Gerrera in Fallen Order

6F32U1X.png
    CelloSweeney TomEtchwartsMaddocOdinDarkPrimusZonugalTonkkaGoose!StiltsMortal SkyJoolanderKwoaruNiryanever diedarunia106Andy JoeLord_AsmodeusOlivawSorceVeldrinSaraLuna
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Fallen Order looks like it has potential, and if nothing else Respawn games feel good to play, even if this is fairly different from what they've done before

Crippl3Mortal Sky
  • H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I wasn't really sold based on the trailer they showed at the press conference, but now I'm reading that it is structured like a 3d metroidvania and has a lot of wandering around using new powers and skills to unlock old areas and I'm a lot more intrigued after seeing that.

Hopefully they'll show a gameplay video demonstrating how all of that works.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    The most confidence I got on it was from the Respawn guys talking on Giant Bomb last night. They admitted it was a chance for some of their up and coming staff to take on bigger challenges, and they had a ton of confidence in the game and its concepts. I mean, sure, of course they are with their position, but at the same time they felt genuine, at least.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    this E3 was so quick

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    this E3 was so quick

It usually is, although admittedly it goes through tomorrow.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    so I watched the Fallen Order demo and when Saw Gerrera showed up I thought to myself "man, that's not a good Forest Whitaker impression"

Charlie Chaplin came in third place in a chalie chaplin look alike contest...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    JoolanderSorce
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

Gameplay footage in the article makes this statement feel disingenuous

It’s not turn-based like “I go then you go,” but it is turn-based in the sense that, like Frozen Synapse, the “turns” happen at the same time

So the game pauses to allow you to make decisions, which you make based on current and predicted information, and then you hit a button and the next second or two plays out, and then the game pauses again

That’s a turn-based game in my mind

And really, that declaration that the game isn't turn based actually really worried me because I ain't got John Wick reflexes I need it to slow down so I have a chance.

So the reality that no, it totally is still is very reassuring.

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    I mean, it's not UGOIGO or WEGO, at least by my personal experience of those things. From that clip, it seems the game pauses for each individual decision, then plays that decision out along with the simultaneous actions from the AI, pausing again when you finish your action -- however long that may take. This is different from Frozen Synapse, where there are turns of a pre-defined length (10 seconds, right?) that you have to plan out all at once.

I mean I know we joke, but "real-time (with pause)" seems like a more accurate descriptor here than simply "turn-based".

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    So I played a bit of the Mana Collection yesterday and while it is very cool to have Official English Seiken Densetsu 3, that package is shockingly sparce.

I haven't been able to check if any bugs from the original versions were fixed in the process, but I'd be shocked if they were. It doesn't even have any sort of supplementary material like you find in the Mega Man Legacy Collections for example.

They did the absolute bare minimum, and on some level that's enough entirely on the basis that it includes a game never officially released in English, but forty dollars is a steep price tag for three old ROMs.

Enc
    Real time with pause though has two requirements to it. One, that I can select actions while the real time action is going, and two that i'm the one choosing when to pause.

If the game pauses at every action, then plays out that action without allowing me further input until the next pause then that's a turn based game.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

To be fair. It was a look ALIKE contest, not best charlie chaplin contest.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Preacher
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm waffling on whether or not I want it. It does look super cool and I'd love to play Secret Of Mana / SD3! But also, 40 bucks for what's basically a ROM package seems a bit pricey.

Unrelated, but how does the Tales Of Vesperia Switch version run? Acceptably?

EncCapt Howdy
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

To be fair. It was a look ALIKE contest, not best charlie chaplin contest.

I tried to look up if this is real and its a long held like "this really happened" with no actual proof of it. So yeah totally real.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Librarian's ghost
    Unfortunately their selling me a SNES Classic already fulfilled my need for Secret of Mana. So i'd just be paying $40 for Trials of Mana and that's a bit much.

I'll wait for the remake, which i've now learned is also coming to Steam so maybe I shouldn't have factored its presence into my Switch purchase after all.

• PeewiPeewi I edited this in 2024 I edited this in 2024Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    So I played a bit of the Mana Collection yesterday and while it is very cool to have Official English Seiken Densetsu 3, that package is shockingly sparce.

I haven't been able to check if any bugs from the original versions were fixed in the process, but I'd be shocked if they were. It doesn't even have any sort of supplementary material like you find in the Mega Man Legacy Collections for example.

They did the absolute bare minimum, and on some level that's enough entirely on the basis that it includes a game never officially released in English, but forty dollars is a steep price tag for three old ROMs.

I'm a little surprised that it includes different language versions, including both PAL and NTSC English versions, but not Japanese.

Assuming there's a Japanese version, I find it surprising that there are still games being released with different language versions and it not being something you can change freely.

el_vicio
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Wow, they're charging 40 for one Gameboy game, and 2 SNES games? That's too much!

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

Lindsay LohanMedium DaveCapt Howdy
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    So Nintendo had a pretty good showing. Not mindblowing (I wasn't THAT huge of a fan of Breath of the Wild) but they had some good stuff.

Banjo in Smash is cool, but I hope that heralds a larger return for the Bear and Bird. Pretty good reveal too; though I came into the stream late and got spoiled on it. :razz:

Really curious what timeframe BotW2 is going ot have; that last one took SO LONG to make, and as seen with announcements lately, either they're coming out in the next year, or they're going to vanish from e3 for years. (Starfield, Metroid Prime 4). I'm not an animal crossing or pokemon kind of guy, and I strangely have zero excitement for Luigi's Mansion 3 (never played 2 either). Gooigi memes are going to kill me.

I will say this presentation would have slaughtered if they had held off on announcing Link's Awakening and showing off the new Pokemon until now.

Overall I'd give it a B+. Good stuff, mostly not for me though. Probably would have been a A or A+ had they kept some of that stuff under wraps until now.

E3 2019 rankings

EA: No grade, please redo the asignment
    Square-Enix: D+
    Ubisoft: C+
    Bethesda: B-
    Devolver: B
    Microsoft: B
    Nintendo: B+
    Sony: Pass

Sony get's a pass for picking a lackluster year to skip. Skipping E3 this year was already a good idea, and it has paid off in spades given that Microsoft didn't really bring it like they should have.

EA's biggest thing was a game that showed better in like 2 minutes on Microsoft's stage than it did in 15 minutes during their stream.

EDIT: Overall, this felt even more like a transitional year than I had expected going in. Microsoft completely failed to capitlize on Sony's absence, we got the worst Ubisoft presentation in years and I cannot believe Square Enix thought that what they showed was worth a live presentation.

Devolver wins the "Most improved conference" award, for making more timely jokes and actually showing some rad games.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »

... I kinda want this matchup in John Wick Chapter 4 now. Jon tends to play loud belligerent characters, which would be a good contrast to Keanu's more subdued style.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    TicaldfjamSorce
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Here's an amazing bit from the Doom demo that Jeff (and everyone else) is talking about.

el_vicioMorivethAnzekayGrey GhostJoolanderShortyDarkPrimusNiryaEtchwartsTonkkaVladimerJohnny Chopsockynever diedarunia106Andy JoeAthenorLord_AsmodeusCrippl3OlivawSealSorceStempy
    So it is the Mario Galaxy of Doom games! I knew it!

That's amazing

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    I wanted to see the doomguy impacting the hull of that ship or station or whatever it is in first person

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
    el_vicio
    I wanted to see the doomguy impacting the hull of that ship or station or whatever it is in first person

I agree, but at the same time it would probably happen to quick to perceive, cause you're just getting railed through there in a splitsecond

ouxsemmi8rm9.png