As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [NHL] Thread - On Dadanov’s No-Trade List

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    You guys ever been to a major junior game? I haven’t been for years but the crowd was all about the fights, and the players are teen aged kids. It’s kind of gross

:so_raven:
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    The last few I've gone to have been surprisingly fight free (in Seattle and Portland of the WHL). Granted, not hockey hotbed communities, but they are long time franchises. I suspect the kids are getting coached up in the way the coaches see the pro game going -- coaches wanna make the bigs too, if you follow my reasoning.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I know I used to really really really hate the wings, but I've mostly just felt bad for them, probably since before their playoff streak even officially ended.

Anyways, here is this

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Wrong thread.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Well it appears Laine’s time in Columbus is going well....

• Options
    Man, the TSN radio station I listen to in Vancouver for NHL talk just got closed by Bell, in the middle of their morning show! Despite having much stronger ratings than their Sportsnet counterpart.

Bell is just awful.

• Options
    Mikko Koivu surprise retirement. Things going great in CBJ I guess.

• Options
    Yeah, Bell has been doing a lot of cutting lately. They just had a bunch of TSN layoffs the other day, which included Dan from Jay and Dan.

• Options
    Wait, what?

Tweet text:
    Well this is something. Hearing Brian Burke will join Ron Hextall in PIT. Burke as president of Hockey Ops; Hextall as GM
    Going to miss this teammate, loved working with you Burkie

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Thats......certainly a direction to go with your front office.

• Options
    ... But why?

• Options
    Truculence!

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    ... But why?

Hextall is trying to destroy Pittsburgh from the inside now?

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    In one of the few sports where intense physical interaction is allowed, fighting is about letting the other team know where respect is due. It's always been a part of the sport, and it shouldn't ever leave.

If the argument is that it's overly dangerous, then point me in the direction where hockey doesn't have 6+ feet, 250+ pound lads slamming into each other.

Take away the fighting and you've corrupted the spirit.

If I wanted to see a boxing match, I'd go to a boxing match.

Anyone who argues that hockey needs fighting, and that its lack is corrupting the sport, is doing nothing more than tattooing how much of a goose they are on their forehead.

• Options
    So the Avs have always been notoriously tight lipped when it comes to any kind of injury news, so thank god for Nathan MacKinnon saying he’s good to go via a Fortnite stream.

• Options
    The penguins used wooden sticks in practice yesterday and someone asked them why.

Turns out, a lot of the players are younger than composite sticks so they have literally never used a wooden one before the practice

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'm confused. He said blade. I'm pretty sure you can put a wooden blade on a composite stick

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    I mean, can you even get completely wood clubs any more?

Edit: Yes, you can

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Decius wrote: »
    I mean, can you even get completely wood clubs any more?

Edit: Yes, you can

I stopped buying composite sticks in high school because, like, I wasn't that good. And wood sticks cost $20 and were pretty difficult to break. And composites cost hundreds and shatter all the time.

But that was also a long time ago

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    I've played with wooden sticks that broke 10 minutes into a practice and composite sticks that did the same, all depends on the quality of the stick. The upside to more expensive composite sticks is that they usually come with a warranty of some sort, that usually made it the better choice considering one of the things I'd do as soon as I got a new stick was to take as many slappers as possible at the start of practice to make sure it wouldn't explode.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    I'm not sure we had full composite sticks back when I was a kid in the 90s. I played with a wooden stick, which was stupidly heavy, as we couldn't afford one of those fancy Easton Aluminum's.

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Those aluminum sticks were beauts. I had one for a few years before switching to a 2-piece composite. A wooden blade was $20-30 and was usually the part that broke, you'd tend to get a good amount of mileage from a composite shaft.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Seeing a guy like Kessel rip a wrister with a composite stick, I can't see him doing the same with a wooden one. In slow motion, the stick nearly folds in half before the puck launches.

• Options
    When I played beer league, there was a guy on the team, a lawyer with some dollars to his name, and he got on of the very first composite one-pieces available in the area. First game that he tried it out in, after the game, his son tripped and fell on the stick, breaking it.

• Options
    So, I imagine something ugly is going to come out that made this happen:

• Options
    12 games into the season, about 20% of the season, and the penguins still only have one win in regulation.

Less wins in regulation than either Detroit or Ottawa, whichever team you consider to be the worst in the league this season

• Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    12 games into the season, about 20% of the season, and the penguins still only have one win in regulation.

Less wins in regulation than either Detroit or Ottawa, whichever team you consider to be the worst in the league this season

San Jose says hi. They have 1 regulation win AND 1 regulation or overtime win.

• Options
    I had a dream this morning that I was playing again.
    Scramble in front of the net, and I'm on my knees on the right side. Puck goes to my left and I get a piece of it, but it slides just onto the line, it's part way over, I don't have my feet under me, it looks like it's stopped but I dunno who's gonna get to it first so I lunged for it and then I woke up.

Had the heater on too high, woke me up about an hour before I would have woken up normally.

• Options
  • Options
    Watching the Vegas/Avs outdoor game at Lake Tahoe and man the ice is awful.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Jayricho wrote: »
    Watching the Vegas/Avs outdoor game at Lake Tahoe and man the ice is awful.

Yikes!

Bruins game postponed to tomorrow evening due to the ice

The scenery sure is pretty tho

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    And after an hour intermission they’ve decided to delay the game until 9pm PST/12am EST because the ice is so garbage. In the meantime enjoy Grubauer trying shades under his mask during warmups....

Jayricho on
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    I haven’t loved a Leaf this much since Dougie Gilmour. Auston Matthews is incredible!

• Options
    edited February 2021
    MacKinnon channeling Thanos.

“Fine, I’ll do it myself.”

Also it feels like Vegas decided to take the 8 hours to change their game plan to just playing straight up dirty.

Jayricho on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    oldmanken wrote: »
    I haven’t loved a Leaf this much since Dougie Gilmour. Auston Matthews is incredible!

He is absolutely housing my fantasy team this week

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

poor Pasternak having to do media while everyone else is having fun

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Terrifying

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    Took me a second.

“What am I looking for? Oh....oh. Oh no.”

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Well, seems the cloning research at CMU has borne fruit.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
This discussion has been closed.