As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [NHL] Thread - Fined $100K for Violating COVID-19 Protocol

15556586061

Posts

  • MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    And they pull NHL.TV content into ESPN+.

    Maybe that Disney+ deal would be worthwhile after all

  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Hahaha


    The last NHL game ever aired on ESPN was Tampa-Calgary game 7 of the Stanley Cup final in 2004. I'm looking forward to millions of American viewers next year being impressed that Darryl Sutter still coaches the Flames.

    chromdomBrodyTicaldfjamJayrichoShadowenMugsleyBullhead
  • ChanusChanus I've seen things... Registered User regular


    just saw this McDavid assist to Draisaitl from last night

    disgusting

    Allegedly a voice of reason.
    CristovalElvenshaeShadowenGnome-Interruptus
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Blues give Binnington 6million x 6 years.

    :so_raven:
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Malkin is pissed. Says the team needs a lot more talent, if they want to compete for a cup

    ElvenshaeJayrichoMugsleyShadowenTicaldfjam
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Buffalo's local newspaper apparently has the Buffalo Sabres ranked below the Kraken for the current season.

    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

    The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

    Steam: Korvalain
    BurtletoyJayrichoMugsleyTicaldfjam
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    They gonna get relegated to the A

    JayrichoBrody
  • JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    The actual listing in the article, for any interested.....

    Bullhead
  • ChanusChanus I've seen things... Registered User regular
    it was better before i saw they explained the joke in the joke

    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Their current losing streak has been going on for 20% of the season

    Sleep
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    That's really low for Seattle. Last expansion team went to the Cup finals after all.

  • JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 17
    If Hunter Miska never plays a game again it’ll be too soon.

    3 goals on 5 shots, so far.

    *record scratch*

    4 goals on 7 shots.

    Jayricho on
    Deadfall
  • JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    The Rangers are currently without their entire NHL coaching staff due to COVID protocol. Their AHL affiliates have stepped in....and they’re up 9-0 on the Flyers after 2 periods and 23 shots.

    BrodychromdomBurtletoyMugsleyShadowenElvenshaeGnome-InterruptusChanusBullhead
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    In NHL 94 on the genesis, if you paused the game and plugged your controller into port two, you could pull the opposing team goalie

    Not sure why this popped into my head,
    probably nothing

    CorvusShadowenElvenshaeGnome-InterruptusJayrichoChanusMugsleyjmcdonaldchrono_travellerwunderbarTicaldfjam
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Jayricho wrote: »
    The Rangers are currently without their entire NHL coaching staff due to COVID protocol. Their AHL affiliates have stepped in....and they’re up 9-0 on the Flyers after 2 periods and 23 shots.

    Coaches are clearly overrated

    JayrichoChanusKetBra
  • ChanusChanus I've seen things... Registered User regular
    Jayricho wrote: »
    The Rangers are currently without their entire NHL coaching staff due to COVID protocol. Their AHL affiliates have stepped in....and they’re up 9-0 on the Flyers after 2 periods and 23 shots.

    of course this would happen on the NBCSN game after i cancelled Fubo

    for some reason i only see the games the Rangers have already lost in the first (more than half of their games)

    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    I love it. Flyers podcast crews saying they have people in their mentions telling them they aren't mad enough.

    Uh. The Rangers still only got 2 points out of that win.

    Chanus
  • ChanusChanus I've seen things... Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I love it. Flyers podcast crews saying they have people in their mentions telling them they aren't mad enough.

    Uh. The Rangers still only got 2 points out of that win.

    it seems like no matter who's playing all games for the last several years are either 2-1 or 5+-0

    i wouldn't say any single game provides any useful info

    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited March 19
    This year's norris trophy frontrunners are



    Sean girardi? James petry? Adam hedman?

    Go home, NHL, youre drunk

    Burtletoy on
    Jayricho
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Remember when the NHL listed the 100 greatest players? Ever since, the penguins players and coaches and media have joked about malkin being number 101, for some reason.

  • H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    This year's norris trophy frontrunners are



    Sean girardi? James petry? Adam hedman?

    Go home, NHL, youre drunk

    I think the names at the top are the people at PHT and the names at the bottom are the player they think is the frontrunner.

    Unless you mean that you disagree with putting Hedman there in which case I got some words for you. (The words are 'no u suck')

    FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Sam Girard getting some recognition is great both because he deserves it and after Makar falling out of the early Norris talks after missing too much time.

  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Yeah Girard has been an absolute monster this year. Both defensively and offensively. And he's like 5 foot 6.

    BFzWh4r.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    www.hoptonogood.com - Beer/Adventure/Life
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning Registered User regular
    edited March 20
    whoops wrong thread lol

    Shadowen on
  • MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    I think it was more that my 6th grader could do a better job of formatting that image and related tweet.

    Bullhead
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    NCAA hockey tournament field:

    In Bridgeport: (Friday/Saturday)
    (1) Wisconsin vs. (4) Bemidji State
    (2) UMass vs. (3) Lake Superior State

    In Fargo (Friday/Saturday)
    (1) North Dakota vs. (4) American International
    (2) Michigan vs. (3) Minnesota Duluth

    In Albany (Saturday/Sunday)
    (1) Boston College vs. (4) Notre Dame (appearing in place of St. Lawrence, which had to withdraw after a positive COVID test)
    (2) St. Cloud State vs. (3) Boston University

    In Loveland (Saturday/Sunday)
    (1) Minnesota vs. (4) Omaha
    (2) Minnesota State vs. (3) Quinnipiac

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    Warren 2020
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 23
    25th anniversary of Mike Legg's goal in the NCAA tournament tomorrow.

    enlightenedbum on
    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    Warren 2020
    ChanusGnome-Interruptus
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited March 23
    25? No, I think you're wrong about that. That just happened a little bit ago. Five years maybe.
    Sob!

    chromdom on
    Drez wrote: »

    Being quoted out of context is honestly what I live for.
    Bullhead
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Well, After the Edmonton-Montreal game yesterday was postponed, the league has announced that Montreal's games through Sunday (Wed, Fri vs Edmonton, Sun vs Ottawa) have all been postponed.

    covid finally strikes the North.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    I'm sure nothing bad will happen to the Canucks with four centres hurt (Petterson, Horvat, Sutter, Beagle)

    :so_raven:
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I am

    Not impressed with Jonas johansson

    BFzWh4r.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    www.hoptonogood.com - Beer/Adventure/Life
    Jayrichofinnith
  • JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    We all know game management from the refs is a thing, but this is a really bad look....

  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    He said the quiet part out loud and is getting punished for it now.


    Referee Tim Peel no longer will be working NHL games now or in the future.

    Maybe the concept of “game management” in this was is dumb. Call penalties on people who commit penalties, not so that you appear “fair”.

    ElvenshaeGnome-InterruptusBullheadShadowen
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    If you call penalties when they happen instead of when the game needs??? them, the teams will sort themselves out. Some players/teams will always draw high numbers, but if you make it clear you are calling shit as you see it rather than what feels fair, the teams that give a shit will fix it.

    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

    The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

    Steam: Korvalain
    ChanusGnome-InterruptusJayrichoGONG-00BullheadElvenshae
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    This is a thing that has happened since the beginning of time in the NHL, and to say that the league didn't know of it and looked the other way would be foolish. This was just the first time someone had been caught admitting it.

    The punishment is severe, but worth pointing out that Tim Peel was retiring this year anyway, with his last scheduled game on April 24th. So while he's effectively suspended for the rest of the season, it's not like the league had to worry about what to do if he was a referee that was in the "prime" of his career.

    If anything, the fact that he was already retiring lets the league get off easy and say they did something severe while not actually addressing the issue.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    ChanusGnome-InterruptusJayrichoEtheaLD50ShadowenElvenshae
  • finnithfinnith TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 24
    Deadfall wrote: »
    I am

    Not impressed with Jonas johansson

    I took a chance on him with my fantasy team (which also has Makar, Rantanen, and Burakovsky) and completely tanked last night. Never bet on the Sabres....not even ex-Sabres players.

    I'm starting to wonder if it's possible for each NHL team to have three good goalies...

    finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Tim Peel has sucked at being a ref for 20 years. This does not surprise me.

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    Warren 2020
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Tim Peel has sucked at being a ref for 20 years. This does not surprise me.

    He seemingly is enforcing the "unwritten rules" that he has at least indirectly been instructed to do. Ultimately, the reason he has been a ref for this long is because he has been doing exactly what the league wanted him to do. It's "both sides are bad" reffing.

    ChanusGnome-InterruptusElvenshae
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Tim Peel was not the best referee the NHL employed, this is evidenced by his (lack of) assignments past the first round of the playoffs for many years.

    That doesn't mean he's bad at his job. He's better at being an NHL referee than I would be. Not everyone is can be the best at the job they do, but he did an acceptable job, or the NHL wouldn't have continued to employ him for as long as he did.

    I go back to my previous statements that the NHL knows exactly how the officials officiate the game, and if they wanted them to be doing it differently, they'd be telling them to be doing it differently. Realistically if referees called the game to the letter of the law almost none of the game would be played 5 on 5, and you can bet that in any given game one team would get significantly more penalties than the other team. The extreme version of this is Playoff Overtime, when the referees might as well just not bother to come on the ice and just leave the two linesmen to do their work.

    But that's not good for business, so that's not how the league wants things to run. The only thing that Tim Peel did wrong yesterday was get caught on a hot mic. I'm honestly shocked it's never happened before.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • ChanusChanus I've seen things... Registered User regular
    there is a middle ground between "not trained for the job at all" and "good at the job"

    if your refereeing is intentionally affecting the outcome of games, i would consider you a bad referee

    if that's you following policy there is an extra level of the system being bad on top of that

    Allegedly a voice of reason.
    Jayricho
Sign In or Register to comment.