As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Overwatch] Thread: June Joust Starts May 21

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Reaper is gonna feast

Not necessarily. The armour buff should help significantly.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Presumably, this will be a nice buff for Brigitte

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Reaper is basically the hero most affected by the armor damage reduction. Upping it back up to 5 severely hampers his ability to duel tanks.

His movement ability buffs will probably at least keep him out of garbage-tier where he used to live, but this patch is actually on balance bad for reaper.

His big selling point with double barriers was that he would entirely avoid barriers, teleport in, and oh hey all of his dps counters were themselves not very useful in double barrier, so there wasn't really much punishment on him.

Reaper with less barriers is a reaper getting beat up at range more often.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Reaper is basically the hero most affected by the armor damage reduction. Upping it back up to 5 severely hampers his ability to duel tanks.

His movement ability buffs will probably at least keep him out of garbage-tier where he used to live, but this patch is actually on balance bad for reaper.

His big selling point with double barriers was that he would entirely avoid barriers, teleport in, and oh hey all of his dps counters were themselves not very useful in double barrier, so there wasn't really much punishment on him.

Reaper with less barriers is a reaper getting beat up at range more often.

That's a fair analysis.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
  • NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    More and more I feel like OW needs a major rework after role queue. There are two or three times more hero options for dps players than there are for tanks and support. It's one of the main reasons it's so much more interesting to choose. Either make a meta with 4 dps, 1 heal, 1 tank, or get rid of role queue.

• SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    Strong disagree on that.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    You know as a tank main I have to say I actually like these changes.

My main issue in the last few months is that a lot of the time you kind of just played Tank to survive instead of making plays on your own.

The armor revert with the non-shield buffs might give you more wiggle room in that regard.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    NotYou wrote: »
    More and more I feel like OW needs a major rework after role queue. There are two or three times more hero options for dps players than there are for tanks and support. It's one of the main reasons it's so much more interesting to choose. Either make a meta with 4 dps, 1 heal, 1 tank, or get rid of role queue.

Even if the characters per role favored tanks and support, DPS would still be the most popular just because most people like shooting dudes. The problem with your solution is that it's already tough enough to get people to play tanks and supports when they know they have some backup in each role. How many people are gonna wanna play tank or support when they know that they're the only one responsible for that role, while DPS players get to fuck around and play whatever because they know they have 3 other DPS to cover them if they're slacking. And even if you can fill games with that setup, how much more shit are solo tanks and supports gonna get from DPS who are getting even less protection and heals than before?

Role lock is better than no role lock, and 222 is the best version of that based on the game's core design. Beyond that it's a matter of balance and fun factor for the non-DPS roles.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I wanna see them try increasing team size by 1 or 2 dps and maybe tweak dps damage down slightly across the board and see how that changes things

2x39jD4.jpg
    The game doesn't really need a massive rebalancing for of 222, because it's largely already been balancing around it for the life of the game. Every meta except for the goats era has been 222 dominated. Even the basic terms for roles: main tank / off tank, main healer / off healer, they all assume a basic 222 composition. And a lot of the post-goats, role queue era patch notes have just been reverting changes made to try to deal with goats.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Who knew one character would change so much.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Possibly my new dumbest thing ever, I was laughing so hard I could barely see after this

https://youtu.be/7TMjYe7e1W8

BjGODQy.jpg

Let me expand on my role queue complaints.

A big part of what role queue did was define just how desirable being a DPS is in the role queue marketplace. It's wait 10 minutes for a single game desirable. It's value has been assigned. Meanwhile, being a tank is worth a lot less. When you play tank you know you're doing something worth less. It's not just a different role anymore. It's a less valuable role.

And to be clear, I'm talking about all of this as a psychological effect.

I don't know where you getting this. If it's a personal experience/feelings, then ok. But haven't heard anyone equate playing a tank or healer as "being worth less," psychological or otherwise.

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    playing the big shield that protects your allies is less valuable? the hero that eats things attacking your allies has no value? nor does the hero that can dive into the backline and force an attention split of the enemy team?

like, if you're more effective on dps, then good for you! but it's a very bad take otherwise because it looks like you just don't understand what the tank is supposed to do.

edited November 2019
    I'm not saying it's worth more in the team game. Everyone is equally valuable in the game.

I'm saying a player spends time waiting in queue (might as well be money) for certain experiences. Hence those experiences are defined as more valuable by the marketplace that blizzard has created.

(imagine me blathering on about tulips for a paragraph)

NotYou on
    (That's not how supply and demand works)

If anything having to wait in the longer pleb line is a sign of dps having lower value, whereas tanks and supports get to go through the expedited VIP line

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Fuckin quickplay classic is :arrow:

#pipe on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Possibly my new dumbest thing ever, I was laughing so hard I could barely see after this

https://youtu.be/7TMjYe7e1W8

BjGODQy.jpg

Ya on the second bonk I could feel the telepathic message of "this has to continue until one of us dies"

With a second telepathic message that was only giggling

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    edited November 2019
    Kana wrote: »
    (That's not how supply and demand works)

If anything having to wait in the longer pleb line is a sign of dps having lower value, whereas tanks and supports get to go through the expedited VIP line

Not gonna lie as a tank main I feel like a superstar.

Like "Please...we need you." and I'm like I guess I can carry you.

Now you could argue the demand to play the DPS slot is higher than the demand to play the other slots and that is true but there is a lot of reasons for that.

TBH while I do like playing DPS every once in a while it is also my least favorite role to play mainly cause I feel the other roles have a greater impact on how your team plays.

But I know I'm in the minority there.

That said tbh I also wonder how many people who were "flex" players before Role Queue simply have their flex roles at much lower SR than their main one.

Dragkonias on
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I watched that yesterday.

It was unusually well-grounded.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    I've been watching yeatle play ptr orisa, and then today they had some pro pug scrims, and this next patch is definitely going to be a massive change.

Orisa now plays much more aggressively. She can't play static, you push in, use fortify to make yourself incredibly hard to kill, and use barrier more situationally, like Winston, to cut off enemy supports or to give yourself a breath while fortify is on cooldown. Attacking orisa the strat has been to break her barrier and then just run past her and kill her teammates, because lol you can't kill fortified orisa.

Orisa/sigma seems dead, and sigma will probably be more of a situational anti-sniper tank on long sightline maps. Rein/zarya seems to beat rein/orisa or orisa/Winston, so hopefully we won't be getting a remix on double barrier meta.

The dive tanks are both good, but dive dps aren't that hot, so dive double sniper is definitely likely. The biggest takeaway seems just to be that nobody's really sure wtf the best comp is yet.

edited November 2019
    Yeah I think the meta will take a bit cause outside of tanks you have to also look at supports.

Moira heals taking a big hit opens up room for others.

Baptiste just got a huge buff and was already used situationally.

Double Sniper means Mercy.

Brig has been a sleeping giant for a while and she already pairs great with Rein.

Less barriers means suddenly Ana and Zen look better.

I see Lucio being the main support with the other slot being pretty open atm.

Dragkonias on
    Less barriers also means Bap gets to shoot mans a lot.

Whenever there’s a new patch, everyone just slams mono red aggro ;)

• PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Sorry Baidol and Guru, apparently it took me longer than 3 minutes to remember Win+G so I didn't capture the Reaper that got scared of my turrets in overtime, abandoning the point and letting us win.

On the other hand, something I did manage to capture from a different game was this result screen from a Bronze tier comp match. This is from Roadhog and Orisa on offense and Rein on defense. The end of offense was just me sitting on the cart with my shield in front of me, shooting the doors as the enemies staggered out 1 by 1 (and yet somehow
    i5wvx4tdahx8.jpg

The key play on defense was this firestrike-and-double-squish.
    https://youtu.be/i-jLBk6Z_NU

I wish I could ever remember the highlight button while I'm playing. I had a beautiful solo Sig9 on first point defense Route 66 on PTR. I was the only one left alive and I came in way late to contest but my ult came online just in time. Hog was almost fast enough with his hook to stop it. I'm not sure my team even knew what happened.

I looked at Reinforce's emotes.

They're

fine

I think. I don't know; I'm not an emote expert.

Here is some context for my chocolate grating tonight. I grated two bars of the size shown using the grater shown. A standard reference ice tray is provided for reference.

IpdKsPK.jpg?2

No wonder it took so long.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i'm a simple man, i see a new mad boops from eskay, i watch the new mad boops from eskay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DcjPyyO7P8

haven't had the time to play much lately but i should be back on this week

uc3ufTB.png
    edited November 2019
    there's a show match between seoul and XL right now, wolf and achilios casting

edit: the match was prerecorded but the english commentary is live

edit2: in the second map both teams are a mix of players from both Seoul and XL and they have a gentleman's agreement to run Dive Classic, it's pretty fun

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
    Just made Diamond on support in a match where CuteCathy was on my team.

On a whim I bought one of those mini half keyboards for fps's, it's arriving today. They look pretty comfy, I'm excited!

On the downside this definitely makes me what the kids "sweaty"

Sideshow has made a terrible mistake

https://clips.twitch.tv/EvilNastyJayItsBoshyTime

He only had like 900 subs so he felt pretty safe, but he's already gained like 200 and he's like oooooh noooooooo

Also Sideshow tilting the fuck out of Reinforce is just the best

https://www.twitch.tv/sideshow/clip/AbnegateSavageLardDendiFace

This discussion has been closed.