As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Overwatch] Thread: June Joust Starts May 21

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Hah, enemy Zarya hail mary'd a grav at our group, managed to hit our Pharah above us with a direct hit , so grav pulled us all up like 5 feet and we all floated there, even enemies were confused

Speaking of causing weird grav interactions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7IBMJwI97A

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Did some flex comp (aka tank placements) and went 5-0 playing Zarya/Hog. It wasn't particularly close in any of them either. Not having Sigma around is pretty amazing actually.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I don't like the nerf to the harmony and discord projectile speed. I don't think that would have a huge effect, but it'll feel worse.

• Options
    I actually think the discord speed nerf is going to have a surprisingly big, positive impact

It means you can no longer do the volley+discord where you fire off a volley, discord, and still gain the benefits of the discord for most of your shots. You're still dealing full volley damage against already discorded targets, but it reduces the burst of his spam volleys where you just let loose and then discord whoever pokes their nose out

And reducing the projectile speed of discord means discord needs to be more predictive instead of reactive. You can't just be like "Hey Tracer started firing her clip, discord her target" / "Hey echo just landed a volley of bombs, discord that guy before the explosion even goes off."

I think it's an important step in reducing tank burst, without just overall nerfing damage so much that double shield comes back.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Shamelessly stealing content from reddit, good support workshop training mods:

7d17yyz88vd2.jpg

• Options
  • Options

holy shit Jake's returning to the outlaws

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    What

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »
    I actually think the discord speed nerf is going to have a surprisingly big, positive impact

It means you can no longer do the volley+discord where you fire off a volley, discord, and still gain the benefits of the discord for most of your shots. You're still dealing full volley damage against already discorded targets, but it reduces the burst of his spam volleys where you just let loose and then discord whoever pokes their nose out

And reducing the projectile speed of discord means discord needs to be more predictive instead of reactive. You can't just be like "Hey Tracer started firing her clip, discord her target" / "Hey echo just landed a volley of bombs, discord that guy before the explosion even goes off."

I think it's an important step in reducing tank burst, without just overall nerfing damage so much that double shield comes back.

I didn't realize Zen could do that. That changes things.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    What

Sounds like as a player coach? So can technically see playtime but he definitely wants to focus on helping the other players instead.

• Options
    Kana wrote: »

holy shit Jake's returning to the outlaws

YO WHAT

Jake, Harsha, and Junkbuck coaching is bonkers.

• Options
    The Outlaws are actually looking potentially pretty great this coming season

• Options
    Baidol wrote: »
    What

noiqi6uquo5j.jpg

• Options
    Their season depends heavily on how this tank line pans out.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »

sadge only because zen is my best support character and i like being a murderbot

but yeah overall it's probably good for the health of the game

• Options
    Dallas and Shanghai had a show match in China, which was helpfully re-broadcast by this dude on twitch:

During Gauntlet we saw a lot of Ball/Sigma/Tracer hybrid dive comps, now with this match we got to see the new meta, which is pretty fuckin' frantic

Ball D.Va, Zen Brig, Echo. Then the 2nd dps is either like Tracer/Sombra. Dallas also ran McCree in place of the Echo, but didn't seem to get a ton of value out of it. Not actually sure if this experimental patch will be enough to kill it, but it's a pretty fun meta. Also definitely a "Don't play this in competitive" meta, the whole concept is like really high speed and offense and verrry little healing.

• Options
    I'm watching a bit now and it is interesting how the Ball/Dva are more self-sufficient and work more with the Zen/Brig, but when using Winston you need to bring out the Ana because you need those heals.

• Options
    Yeah like classic dive is more like "we stage up, and then winston/dva/genji/whoever all go in at the same time and we get picks or we die, do it all as fast as possible so we can try like 6 times in 4 minutes."

The new ball dive concepts like they were playing during gauntlet was a bit more of a hybrid, with ball and Tracer roaming around and combining to dive on vulnerable targets, while the Sigma could control space and babysit the healers. During Gauntlet there were smart folks saying they didn't think this would be the finalized meta, as Sombra seemed underutilized, etc, so I think we might've seen that comp keep changing even without the new Sigma patch, but definitely on this new patch there's no way 2.5 second Sigma shield is lasting against a determined dive.

If you don't have the Sigma shield a lot of healers can't survive, so you end up with Brig and Zen. They can both put out heals from far away, and can pocket each other when attacked. D.Va couldn't beat Echo when she was getting hard-pocketed by Mercy, but now that there's not much healing a D.Va can still win that fight, and her DM is valuable peel. And with such a mobile team, Sombra hacks are really valuable, both to target the enemy team and to counter-dive the enemy ball or dva. Plus Sombra's health kit control is huge on some maps with healing at such a premium.

So you've got like Ball + Tracer or Echo on offense together, Sombra and D.Va on counter-dive, and then the healers in a bunker together just trying to keep up discord and survive. Or if you swap out McCree you'll have flash and bash as Sombra defense, but be a bit more vulnerable vs ball.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    After a month into playing I finally got my first Play of the Game!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    the 4v4 Kanezaka tourney is live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umkpTv7yHfA

• Options
    Competitive open queue is a land of contrasts. My first two games were typical reasonable comps, and then my last one went

1) 4 pub DPS with me as Winston and one poor Ana healer
    2) I swap to Hog and we cap first point
    3) One of the DPS swaps to Ball and we full cap
    4) We hard hold them Point A as I keep hooking the opposing Sigma while they grasp
    5) The other team's tanks tilt and suddenly they're 4 DPS 2 heals
    6) They barely crack Point A, but then we hold shortly after

Ended up with 31 hooks at 78%. No one said a word in voice chat the entire time.

• Options
    So to sum up the recent OWL drama:

- LA Valiant had already announced they would be playing in Asia for the upcoming season. A little weird, but covid's under better control over there, other teams are doing it too.
    - There was a leaked story that the LA Valiant were selling to a Chinese buyer, who wanted to switch to a chinese roster. The Valiant eventually denied selling the team.
    - Just selling the team is not that big of a deal, but they had already signed all their players and coaches to contracts, which meant if they ended up dropping everyone it would seriously screw over a lot of good players who might've been picked up to other teams otherwise.
    - More reporting comes out doubling down that the Valiant are doing this, and that they're not technically selling the team they're handing over a controlling share and, yeah, basically selling in all but name.
    - The Valiant are once again like "absolutely false we're not selling the team," which is now pretty suspicious as the reporting was already claiming that they were weasel-wording over the word "sell."

Now today, LA release a statement:

Saying that an unnamed quantity of players and staff were unable to get visas and had been released. Seems to be basically all the players and most of the staff. Some proper bullshit.

• Options
    Packing10 confirmed all of the staff and players are out. He won't be coaching in OWL this season. Not sure how the contacts are structured but I hope the league is able to enforce some form of compensation for the released players and staff.

Rumors are that KSP, now going by Kai, is signing with Atlanta.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Agilities is also quitting OWL, likely because of this. I certainly would be demoralized as fuck after that.

• Options
    I remember the side-eye everyone was giving the original Valiant statement those weeks back and was waiting for the punchline.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    I really didn't expect any teams to one up Vancouver, but here we are.

Edit: At least this means Diya might get another shot at OWL. He's apparently been pounding in Chinese Contenders.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    Yeah Diya is still really good. With Kaylee going to GZ there isn't really an excuse to not pick up Diya.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    boy if anyone ever needed a step-by-step instruction manual on how to vaporize your own fanbase and all the goodwill you've built up over multiple years, there ya go

the shittiness is borderline unfathomable

• Options
    It's definitely a "hold my beer" moment after Vancouver.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Heh this was dumb

https://youtu.be/a7zTA0NCF1I

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    This is not a thing I expected to come across in two consecutive games.

l6udm3jc78kl.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    The 6-player FFA Bounty mode in Arcade is pretty entertaining. I just played as Ana and came out on top due to getting a nano every time (is this by design or just luck?) I got the bounty.

Baidol on
  • Options
    When you have a target on your head, you get ult faster. Echo becomes predictably busted in this mode since you can panic button into whoever is about to kill you, kill them, and instantly have their ult which you can then cycle like 3 times. Then when someone finally kills you, you just flit on out of there and probably get another kill on the way out.

• Options
    Here's a good example of why I don't spend coins on events, here was my 3rd lunar box
    9a0fd2pq5vdd.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2021
    But

You could have just bought them anyway

And gotten more coins

Why are you so concerned about running out of an infinite resource

I don't understand you

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    SirToasty wrote: »
    But

You could have just bought them anyway

And gotten more coins

Why are you so concerned about running out of an infinite resource

I don't understand you

Events are the only time I can open boxes and get new stuff!

edit: and it only lasts about 15 boxes before I have everything

WiseManTobes on
  • Options
    AHHHHH
    I'm entirely kidding. You do you, it's just fun to gripe.

This discussion has been closed.