As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Overwatch] Thread: June Joust Starts May 21

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    omg Houston with a 30 second stagger on the baby d.va

that's one of the longest baby dva staggers I've ever seen

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    I love Blase on doom

never make him play mccree again

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    omg Houston with a 30 second stagger on the baby d.va

that's one of the longest baby dva staggers I've ever seen

Weird to realize that one of the strongest abilities they could give Dva would be a suicide

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    OWL is adding a mini tournament (perhaps one a month) at the end of May. Regular season matches in the 3 weeks leading up to it affect seeding for that tournament. Prize money is on the line but in addition, wins will contribute to the regular season standings. So teams going on a run in the minis will contribute to their qualification for the playoffs.

They clearly need something to boost viewership and with basically everything in a state of flux, there's a lot of leeway to make have changes during the season. Should be interesting.

On another note, I kinda expect OWL to revert to online matches permanently for the remainder of this season and even next. Operating costs are reportedly very high for teams and ad revenue is probably down since viewership is down. With T2/T3 crumbling, I feel like they just need to cut costs as much as possible.

Edit: Hero Bans for next week:

Mercy
    Wrecking Ball (RIP Ameng again)
    Widowmaker
    McCree

Echo is available (no Mercy RIP)

Should be interesting to see what DPS is paired with Echo. Possibly divers? I could see Doomfist, Tracer, and maybe even some Genji.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    This combining of Ranked and OWL pick rates to decide the chance of getting banned is totally stupid.

Mercy was barely played! Reaper and Mei were in almost every OWL game and weren't even eligible to be picked! Seperate ranked and OWL bans was a better system (not that I agree with ranked bans at all).

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    If they're gonna combine the bans, they need to be determined by OWL playrates, not ladder. It's a very strange compromise.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    having either one decide for the other is terrible

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    having either one decide for the other is terrible

I agree, I think they should have just kept them separate.

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    Apparently they made the change to combine the pool, so that pros could practice on ladder.

Practice. On. Ladder??

Firstly, they have scrims. Secondly, I don't see how solo or duo queuing into the 12 clown car pile up that is Overwatch ranked is ever going to be practice for 6 stacking with and against the best players in the world (and Bosto)n running set strats.

Like in no way should a pro be considering ranked practice. They probably shouldn't play anything but scrims one they're signed tbh, since ranked is so different I can't imagine it doing much for them.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    Apparently they made the change to combine the pool, so that pros could practice on ladder.

Practice. On. Ladder??

Firstly, they have scrims. Secondly, I don't see how solo or duo queuing into the 12 clown car pile up that is Overwatch ranked is ever going to be practice for 6 stacking with and against the best players in the world (and Bosto)n running set strats.

Like in no way should a pro be considering ranked practice. They probably shouldn't play anything but scrims one they're signed tbh, since ranked is so different I can't imagine it doing much for them.

I mean, that was the opinion coming from the pros themselves. However you feel about pros playing ranked, or that having an impact on hero bans, it's kind of hard to argue against its validity when they're the only ones that can actually speak to the experience. And I know lots of pros have mentioned how difficult it's been to get consistent scrims, which is made doubly hard when teams are divided up geographically. It's hard to organize scrims with teams outside your region, but you're playing the teams in your region in actual matches so you're not scrimming against them either.

I don't think pros see ranked as "this is where I go to practice strats and team coordination" but as "this is where I go to keep my mechanics sharp week to week" and "this is where I go to get used to new patches or practice new characters outside of scrims". Echo is a perfect example of that. Missing a week of potential practice on her might not seem like much to us, but as a pro I can imagine that being extremely annoying. Imagine if she'd be live and available in OWL this last weekend, while also being banned in ranked the entire week preceding it. It's just nonsensical.

Personally, I'm totally fine with OWL and ranked having a unified ban system (if they're gonna have a ban system at all). I'd just rather them pull from OWL only.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    That being said, the bottom line at this point is if OW2 doesn't do something to pull player/viewer sentiment out of the gutter it's currently living in, OWL is dead in the water anyway.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    This weekend I asked the PA crew what to cook. Toasty suggested butter chicken.

V7gouqT.jpg?2

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular

mr. 150k is peacing out to valorant

now to see if we get his mvp skin before or after this happens

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    I'm curious if him not playing recently was because he was burned out / planning to leave, or if he's leaving because he hadn't been able to beat the other 2 SF dps for playing time anyway. SF may very well have been eager to get his contract off their books, that's an expensive backup.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    He's their best Zarya and Doomfist, but I imagine the runner up in each of those positions (Choi and Architect/Rascal?) aren't far behind. Losing Sinatraa hurts SF, but it isn't a huge blow, I think.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    valorant must be much more fun to play than it is to watch cause i just don’t get it

maybe i’m just not into low ttk games

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
  • Options
    crwth wrote: »
    valorant must be much more fun to play than it is to watch cause i just don’t get it

maybe i’m just not into low ttk games

Yeah I dunno, I feel like we always see this happen when a new competitive game comes out

Pros are used to grinding their own game, so it just feels like work, and competition is tight so they can't let up, they have to keep sprinting just to stay where they are

Then there's a new scene and the pros can sweep in and just dominate easily for the first year or so, and it's novel so they can just kinda have fun and not sweat that much

Riot knows what they're doing with promotion and stuff, and it seems like it's probably well positioned to do well in China, I'm sure Valorant's gonna return their investment. And apparently the netcode and behind the scenes stuff is well done.

But jeez it really does not engage me to watch it. It just feels like watching knockoff CS:GO

• Options
    I think it's pretty fun to play but if you hate CS you probably won't like it. Watching it is a total snoozefest, yes.

• Options
    yeah I hadn't really been following it pre-release, and had mainly just heard "fast-paced shooter with OW-like abilities" so I was cautiously optimistic

but within a couple hours of watching various OW players streaming it, I was already bored out of my mind. I already know I don't like playing CS-style shooters, but I was kind of hoping I'd at least enjoy watching it

but nope, it's apparently just 100% not my thing at all, unfortunately

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    https://youtu.be/CuyGCePswYY

A note that was relevant to last night’s matches: Lucio boop cannot be deflected.

To explain, there was a moment last night where myself as Lucio and (I forget who) on Orisa were face to face fighting an enemy Genji and Orisa. I didn’t see what happened, only that our Orisa went into the well just as I booped. Kill feed apparently was that the enemy Orisa used grab, but that didn’t stop me from blaming myself for a moment thinking my boop got deflected :D

Perrsun on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    All of the experimental CC nerfs have gone live except for Brig's stun length. Which seems fine to me, her stun's already been nerfed previously and is quite short.

Kana on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Okay but now you need to reduce some of those damage buffs

• Options
    Damage AND healing.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    wait hold on I thought he was the only one with no drama on that team

• Options
    edited April 2020
    wait hold on I thought he was the only one with no drama on that team

He was

so this is probably a bad sign for the org

Titans management must REALLY suck

every other player and coach had taken the Vancouver Titans off of their bios, they switched to just saying OWL. Jjanu was the only one who still ID'd himself as a Titans player.

So Jjanu then getting released and being happy about it seems like there MIGHT be a problem

Kana on
  • Options
    Lots of players/former players/etc congratulating Jjanu on escaping, including Danteh, Linkzr, Harsha (I think, his was in Korean)... Avast hinting that this is only the start of it too. And one of their coaches was released too. Sounds like we're in for crazy levels of mid-season implosion.

• Options
  • Options
    So what Contenders team do they bring up to play?

• Options
    Sign Uprising Academy so Boston can announce that they won't be fielding another contenders team and complete the list of OWL teams with no academy teams

• Options
    edited April 2020
    miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Monte (I think) pointed out that with JJanu gone, Vancouver is down to Fissure as their only tank, and their roster is down to just 7. And frankly I wouldn't be surprised to see more departures by their games next weekend, so who the hell knows what they're gonna do.

• Options
    I suspect lots of people have pointed that out

• Options
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    I know it's speculative semi-fiction, but maybe Fissure just constantly pees on other teammates' keyboards. Who's to say.

Also, good riddance to Sinatra.

• Options
    I dunno what that guy is talking about with the titans being seen as a "bad guy" team. They were really popular, and dominant!

Other teams have blown up their rosters and nobody cared, with this current debacle basically everyone is unanimously blaming the Vancouver management for screwing up a good thing.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Kana wrote: »
    I dunno what that guy is talking about with the titans being seen as a "bad guy" team. They were really popular, and dominant!

Other teams have blown up their rosters and nobody cared, with this current debacle basically everyone is unanimously blaming the Vancouver management for screwing up a good thing.

There was definitely a shift for a lot of OWL fans as the season went on last year. Titans were beloved by all when the season started, but as they dominated harder and harder lots of people started to see them (rightly or wrongly) as like the Yankees or Lakers of OWL (not everyone obviously, but it was there for sure).

That being said, I think a lot of that fell off over the off-season (the narrative of the management/coaches dropping Bumper got a lot of people back on the players' side, funnily enough) and everyone was excited to see how they fared this season. Even as someone who's always been pretty ambivalent about the team, it's a massive bummer to see what they're going through.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    I think that even if you don't buy the idea that Titans became the villains of OWL, it is definitely true that there has been zero attempts to capitalize on their popularity as the Runaway all-stars outside of the casters and analysts hyping them up. You'd think that the org itself would try to get in on it too, or at least do...well, anything at all.

I didn't really see them as villains per se, but they definitely became the team-to-beat (alongside SF Shock) which meant that overall they were painted in a negative light compared to the constant underdog of almost every other team in OWL.

• Options
    https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/updates-to-hero-pools/496300

More tweaking to hero pools
    - Hero pools will (eventually) only occur in master's and up.
    - Hero pools will be based off of OWL playtime instead of ladder. During offseason it'll be based off of the ladder. It'll still be shared pools though.
    - They're tweaking the algorithim to hopefully avoid "every other week" bans, but they don't specify much more than that.

Makes sense to me. Even like diamond games don't adhere to any kind of meta anyway, you barely ever saw goats at most ranks back when goats was mandatory in GM. And high level ladder play is usually copying OWL strats anyway, so copying hero bans from OWL at high levels makes sense.

This discussion has been closed.