As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

the pod comes for us all in the end [jobs]

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »
    Xehalus wrote: »
    so I started carpooling at a new job and it was fine at first then the driver began showing hostility towards other employees on the way back from work talking about shooting people

add the fact the he drove recklessly scaring me and other drivers

thankfully another person is letting me ride with them

his reaction to my switch was very hostile as well

I just hope it doesn't escalate further

This is wild and I hope you have some recourse through your job. Solidarity mate, no one should have to deal with a threatening work environment, much less one on the way to/from work.

This should be reported to HR, especially if you're an American.

Also possibly the police, just so there's a record of him talking about shooting people.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I don’t know if I would put money as greatest invention ever or anything but it is definitely important.

Barter system and payment in kind and so on throughout history has all sorts of problems. The abstraction is trade into money is useful in many ways.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Sex?
    Bartering?

Clearly the most important thing we've invented is prostitution.

Change my mind

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Sex?
    Bartering?

Clearly the most important thing we've invented is prostitution.

Change my mind

That'll be $30.

On the job news front: I am sooooooooo glad that my negotiation team has been told to "not make the perfect the enemy of the good" and that "$XXXXXX is a rounding error to me" by our senior leadership.

It may be a rounding error at the whole-company-level, but it sure as hell at at my division level, and I know which one my annual performance bonus is based on.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I finished my first full day of work since June. No students yet.

Fuck working.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Today’s been a roughish one. Ugh. Least I’m off in just over an hour.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    "Jesus fucking Christ, Quid. You barely passed the PT test. When's the last time you ran?"

"Just before the bike became an option 10 years ago."

"Wait... and you still passed the run?"

"Please kill me now. My body will not forgive this."

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    What is the run time for a 40 year old these days? I could probably smoke it.

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    My job is so boring.

Today I used Stylish to customize the UI of the admin panel I interact with. This shaved annoying seconds of each job, ultimately reducing the work even more.

At least this morning I interviewed to be a warehouse supervisor for a food importer. Seemed super cool, pay is great, total autonomy, super flexible hours. Fingers crossed, it's been a really great series of interactions so far. I'm apparently the only applicant that's made it past the owner's second phone interview to meet the guy in the warehouse, I feel like that's promising.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I hate my job today.

I am so fucking miserable.

Also greatest invention is string/cordage/yarn. and I'm in a mood today to fight about this.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    People traveling around to the five state hospitals want to talk to me about the system I'm "in charge of" that I received no training on and basically learned by poking it a lot and fixing what broke. I say yes because I'm a trapped idiot who can't refuse and they schedule the meeting for later today. Well thank you for that, at least I'll only stress about this for a couple hours before I'm inevitably revealed as the unlearned fraud I am.

Then they arrive, we talk, I answer their questions, show them some features of the system, learn new ones on the fly to address some of their queries, they shake my hand, thank me for the information, tell me to keep up the excellent work, and depart. I didn't flub too many of my words, didn't prove I'm unfit for a position higher than "sits in the corner quietly", and when I didn't know something I could point out where they could likely get the information. For once I wasn't the scribe, the representative of the actual person, or a child sitting at the table while the adults talked. I was on equal footing with the participants and in fact they were looking to me to teach them.

In the words of Krillin, "So this is what being important feels like." It's a difficult feeling to reconcile so now that I'm home I'm going to let it percolate as I play some more Spyro.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    People traveling around to the five state hospitals want to talk to me about the system I'm "in charge of" that I received no training on and basically learned by poking it a lot and fixing what broke. I say yes because I'm a trapped idiot who can't refuse and they schedule the meeting for later today. Well thank you for that, at least I'll only stress about this for a couple hours before I'm inevitably revealed as the unlearned fraud I am.

Then they arrive, we talk, I answer their questions, show them some features of the system, learn new ones on the fly to address some of their queries, they shake my hand, thank me for the information, tell me to keep up the excellent work, and depart. I didn't flub too many of my words, didn't prove I'm unfit for a position higher than "sits in the corner quietly", and when I didn't know something I could point out where they could likely get the information. For once I wasn't the scribe, the representative of the actual person, or a child sitting at the table while the adults talked. I was on equal footing with the participants and in fact they were looking to me to teach them.

In the words of Krillin, "So this is what being important feels like." It's a difficult feeling to reconcile so now that I'm home I'm going to let it percolate as I play some more Spyro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slRQoRYB_pY

Our company is growing and there are a good number of growing pains and a lot of people I like at work are grumbling to me how they aren’t happy.

It’s tough because everything seems to be going gangbusters for me so I am going to try to meet with some of them outside of work and give them pointers for asking for better pay and growth in future meetings with the higher ups.

I want to keep these folks around, they are good hard workers but I just don’t think they feel like they are getting their due. Unfortunately they never will unless they learn to self advocate some.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    My GM took a job with an energy firm. At least he's getting me a new chair on his way out.

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Ah, my favorite part of working for a big corporation are the "Congratulations on our record growth last quarter, we're cutting everyone's budget" emails.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    always good to reach out to a coworker and open yourself up and say 'hey i'm having a shit day and i'm not coping and i'm crying and I could use an ear to listen to me"

and then they just reply back 'lol' and that's it.

yeah. that's... helpful.

(i'm fine, overall. just having a hard time today. matching opera singers pretend to be cats in an actual aria has helped)

always good to reach out to a coworker and open yourself up and say 'hey i'm having a shit day and i'm not coping and i'm crying and I could use an ear to listen to me"

yeah. that's... helpful.

(i'm fine, overall. just having a hard time today. matching opera singers pretend to be cats in an actual aria has helped)

ah dang, sorry to hear work has been so shitty

any way you can step outside for a bit, maybe take a little walk and grab yourself a big tea?

Brolo wrote: »

yeah. that's... helpful.

ah dang, sorry to hear work has been so shitty

any way you can step outside for a bit, maybe take a little walk and grab yourself a big tea?

Yeah. I'm sitting on my deck and doing some knitting right now.

Thank god I work from home. or the people in the office would be super worried.

Sorry Ahava that sucks. I always try to make time for my coworkers, especially when they are having a rough day. Such a let down when people don’t extend the courtesy :(

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    Ah, my favorite part of working for a big corporation are the "Congratulations on our record growth last quarter, we're cutting everyone's budget" emails.

oy32EIl.jpg?1

Capitalism!

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Was just told that im going to fuck off and make the most of a bad situation, starting wherever i want.

I do appreciate being told ahead of time, but dammit, this is not cool

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Kind of annoyed about work.

Early in the day I was asking for help finding a certain letter we mail so I could resend it or show the caller how to find it online on their account. My team coach told me where to find it and that I can resend it. I couldn't find the letter and asked about it in chat and my coach asked if I read the titles and for some reason that rubbed me the wrong way so I sent a private message to my coach saying that I did not appreciate the way it was worded and that I had read the titles.

My coach took that as me being aggressive and I had to have a meeting with my team leader and coach. Team leader said this was a slight trend but the only other time something I said could have been rude was when I corrected someone for spelling my name wrong in chat when my name was spelled out from my messages.

It isn't a big deal but I've been annoyed by it since getting off of work.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Tomorrow there will be anarchists and right wing hate group members and people from the county to complain about *gestures wildly*

I will be on a couch, hoping those three groups take the focus off my bill long enough to let it ride quietly through

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I had to read this today for college.

578589.jpg

You might be wondering if the Federal Reserve Bank of New York likes puns.

They fucking love puns.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    is that like
    pro-capitalist propaganda for 1950s eight year olds, or what

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    is that like
    pro-capitalist propaganda for 1950s eight year olds, or what

Made in 1979, "The Story of Money is a promotional comic distributed by the Federal Reserve Bank. It tells the history of money through the centuries and includes an interesting and informative look at how our modern financial system works."

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2019
    so, yep +20 years.

tynic on
    that's like....

Banking Chick Tracts or something. it looks fascinating

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Burn it to the
    Orca wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    The most important invention? I'm going to have to go with fire/cooking. It literally shaped our evolution. We wouldn't be the same today without it.

Forget your vaccines, your money, your cars, your computers, or rocket ships.

Fire was the most important invention of all time.

language

Nah. The brain structures that allow us to use language, in order to organize into large groups? Sure. But language? Dolphins have it. Parrots have it. Monkeys have it. Elephants have it. It certainly isn't special to us. It's how we use it to organize that's special.

But it's not a singular invention that allowed us to create societies.

The qualitative difference between the what can be communicated by human language versus any other language system on the earth is pretty singular. Singular in a way that is itself qualitatively different than the difference between human tools and tools developed by other species.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    @lonelyahava have you seen this already? A woman in Shetland used needles made from curtain poles to knit herself a Shetland lace fence for her garden.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
    I have indeed seen it!

I think it is fascinating, truly. But I already have enough problems with lace on a normal scale.
    Although I bet those stitches are easier to find if you drop them.

Very cool. Thank you for sharing!

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Today I am at the local university all day for the district librarian curriculum day. This the the day before school starts where teachers go somewhere to have their meetings with all the other teachers in their content areas in the district.

I am presenting on the VR knowledge I’ve gained. This means I have to lug a very heavy duffle bag full of VR computers around to multiple seasons all day because I’m not leaving it in my car when it’s in the upper 90’s and also car thefts are a thing on campus. Also I’m not leaving it somewhere supposedly secure since it all costs over $5k and I don’t trust anyone.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

So I have mentioned certs to the higher ups at work and they really want me and another team member to go for it.

Primarily at work we troubleshoot network and not hardware problems. Would it be overly ambitious to shoot for CompTIA’s Net+ before A+?

Today I am at the local university all day for the district librarian curriculum day. This the the day before school starts where teachers go somewhere to have their meetings with all the other teachers in their content areas in the district.

I am presenting on the VR knowledge I’ve gained. This means I have to lug a very heavy duffle bag full of VR computers around to multiple seasons all day because I’m not leaving it in my car when it’s in the upper 90’s and also car thefts are a thing on campus. Also I’m not leaving it somewhere supposedly secure since it all costs over $5k and I don’t trust anyone.

just keep all that shit strapped to your body
    gyOkulE.jpg
    you are the future now

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    So I have mentioned certs to the higher ups at work and they really want me and another team member to go for it.

Primarily at work we troubleshoot network and not hardware problems. Would it be overly ambitious to shoot for CompTIA’s Net+ before A+?

I haven't really looked at Net+ but I don't think it really depends on A+. If you're already doing network stuff as your work it would probably be easier than A+.

steam_sig.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I hate my job today.

I am so fucking miserable.

Also greatest invention is string/cordage/yarn. and I'm in a mood today to fight about this.

I definitely don't want to start a fight, but if making an effortpost on the virtues of tying things together and making textiles would improve your day, I'd gladly read it cause that kind of thing is generally super interesting.

steam_sig.png
    Night was a clusterfuck

Clusterfucks prove i am worthy

Clusterfucks delay my ascention

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Night was a clusterfuck

is this how cults start

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    A few months ago I got asked to make a calendar in outlook for all of us to put our PTO and stuff on. No one used it much. Then three weeks ago I got asked by the three new people in our department if I could add them to it. Sure whatever. Two of the three of them are computer illiterate so I spent around a half hour explaining to them how a calendar works and how you modify/edit it. Then my supervisor decided she wanted in on it. Except instead of just...calling me she put a ticket in with IT. IT had no idea I had even done this and it turned into a thing and of course they don't have access to it. So IT called me, I gave supervisor ownership and full access. Today I get another call from IT, my manager also wants to be added to it, and my supervisor wanted someone in IT to make sure she has ownership rights because she doesn't know if I know how to do that right. I sent IT a screen shot of what everyone's level of rights are and her, my boss and I are all owners.

I have now spent over two hours dealing with stuff involving this calendar that I didn't want to do in the first place and I shouldn't have to even think about.

3clipse wrote: »
    Night was a clusterfuck

is this how cults start

*insert video of woman delivering sermon about her blood test company*

This discussion has been closed.