As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

the pod comes for us all in the end [jobs]

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Imagine running a company the way most people play Fire Emblem

In bed?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    New year student who wasn't answering the phone or making tea has started answering the phone and making rounds of tea.

She's even clarified how we like the tea. She's a keeper!

Just had to show her how to fertilize the tomatoes, huh?

I appreciate this reference.

Whew

Made it through the work day without shitting on anyone.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Whew

So it was a bad day then?

Orca wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Whew

So it was a bad day then?

It was not cathartic.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    But hey, at least you got your files back!

GDdCWMm.jpg
    And finally finished my deliverable, albeit four days late.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Lugging an 80 lb duffle bag of VR computers around all day really takes it out of you.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Also several librarians are going to use that troll poster from earlier in the thread. They all said thanks.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    This thread is really putting in the overtime today.

Also my workstation in my new role has multiple slide-out keyboard trays and when somebody comes to me looking for info and I've got to swap which box I'm pulling from I feel like an operator from the matrix. I just need more monitors with funky screensavers on them.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    This thread is really putting in the overtime today.

Also my workstation in my new role has multiple slide-out keyboard trays and when somebody comes to me looking for info and I've got to swap which box I'm pulling from I feel like an operator from the matrix. I just need more monitors with funky screensavers on them.

Were at 4 pages over, if we get to 8 pages over we get triple time!

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Ok, so, I'm about out, but due to both picking dumb long experiment systems and trying to actually hit the two paper requirement and the whole depression thing, my department needs me to write a letter before they'll actually give me my stipend this fall. Now, I kinda get it, student getting long in the tooth, wanna make sure you don't just pay some jerk off perma student for years and years. But ya'll. I got a fancy national fellowship. They haven't BEEN paying me for those years. So not only is it just baseline galling to go to your students and say "sing for your supper, and based on our whims we either will or won't keep paying you (seriously there is no real process here, it's just write an ill defined plan/plea document and hope for the best)" BUT they completely ignore "oh hey this is the student who we bumped their stipend because they brought in so much extra money." Just, fuck ya'll. Don't make me hate you right before I get out of here.

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Ok, so, I'm about out, but due to both picking dumb long experiment systems and trying to actually hit the two paper requirement and the whole depression thing, my department needs me to write a letter before they'll actually give me my stipend this fall. Now, I kinda get it, student getting long in the tooth, wanna make sure you don't just pay some jerk off perma student for years and years. But ya'll. I got a fancy national fellowship. They haven't BEEN paying me for those years. So not only is it just baseline galling to go to your students and say "sing for your supper, and based on our whims we either will or won't keep paying you (seriously there is no real process here, it's just write an ill defined plan/plea document and hope for the best)" BUT they completely ignore "oh hey this is the student who we bumped their stipend because they brought in so much extra money." Just, fuck ya'll. Don't make me hate you right before I get out of here.

Wait your department requires *two* papers in order to graduate? Like, two first authorships or two any-authorships?

edited August 2019
    Tynnan wrote: »

Wait your department requires *two* papers in order to graduate? Like, two first authorships or two any-authorships?

Two first author! It's dumb! They wonder why our graduation times aren't great! :rotate:
    Editing again, for this is hella dumb! My first paper is about memory T cell responses. As in raise mice for 8 weeks, infect them, wait 40 days, ok, NOW you can do something with them. It's good science! It went into a good journal! I really should have just shat out something less interesting to a worse journal though!

It's going to be fine, despite being "slow" I'm interviewing and seeming to do ok for both post-docs and biotech jobs, and my actual advisor is great, but man this department is just getting pants on head stupid.

QuantumTurk on
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    What the fuck is that bullshit policy. That sucks.

Tynnan wrote: »
    What the fuck is that bullshit policy. That sucks.

What it's amounted to is most everyone graduates with maybe one real paper and some kinda theoretical/in submission/ in prep etc etc etc "petition". Me, being an idiot, tried to just do the dang thing.

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Those are some high expectations.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    Average time to graduate ~6 years. Year you have to justify your stipend every few months....year 6. Good job ya'll, you did it.

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Got a new job.

Warehouse Supervisor, good pay, a full day, and it's like... Work. Seems pretty cool, they sell foodstuffs out of Thailand. It just so happens that my wife is half Thai. Pretty good stuff.

I'll have to quite without notice for the first time in a long time. I need to start Wednesday to get any kind of appreciable training time with the current supervisor.

Anon the Felon on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Baidol wrote: »

A PhD by publication (which is more common outside the US) will generally expect 3 papers, but AFAIK in most institutions you don't have to be first author on all of them. Having that as a requirement in an American PhD (which also expects large amounts of coursework) is setting your students up for stress.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    People, the Sears internal competitions were really really a step above "compete against other locations we have."

It's a major factor in how the CEO destroyed the company. Executives were pitted against each other, and that trickled down to the rank-and-file. People in meetings started using screen protectors on their devices to keep other people they worked for from seeing anything on their screens. Information was hoarded and not shared.

https://www.businessinsider.com/eddie-lamperts-sears-strategy-disaster-2013-7

https://www.salon.com/2013/12/10/ayn_rand_loving_ceo_destroys_his_empire_partner/

https://www.versobooks.com/blogs/4385-failing-to-plan-how-ayn-rand-destroyed-sears
    And so if the apparel division wanted to use the services of IT or human resources, they had to sign contracts with them, or alternately to use outside contractors if it would improve the financial performance of the unit—regardless of whether it would improve the performance of the company as a whole. Kimes tells the story of how Sears’s widely trusted appliance brand, Kenmore, was divided between the appliance division and the branding division. The former had to pay fees to the latter for any transaction. But selling non-Sears-branded appliances was more profitable to the appliances division, so they began to offer more prominent in-store placement to rivals of Kenmore products, undermining overall profitability. Its in-house tool brand, Craftsman—so ubiquitous an American trademark that it plays a pivotal role in a Neal Stephenson science fiction bestseller, Seveneves, 5,000 years in the future—refused to pay extra royalties to the in-house battery brand DieHard, so they went with an external provider, again indifferent to what this meant for the company’s bottom line as a whole.

There should be a special jail for CEOs who are this stupid, where their money is taken from them and injected back into the business, and then they die in prison.

edited August 2019
    Hi, I’m Regular sarukun, and I’m running for the Mitch McConnell’s seat in the United States Senate.

sarukun on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Hi, I’m Regular sarukun, and I’m running for the Mitch McConnell’s seat in the United States Senate.

brb moving to Kentucky to vote for you

usnTyq4.jpg
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
    tynic wrote: »

A PhD by publication (which is more common outside the US) will generally expect 3 papers, but AFAIK in most institutions you don't have to be first author on all of them. Having that as a requirement in an American PhD (which also expects large amounts of coursework) is setting your students up for stress.

And correct me if I'm wrong, it's more the thing in the eu to get a master's, then a PhD, and presumably your master's could contribute training or even some project to your PhD. Whereas we just go from bachelor's to do a bunch of course work and go from there. So you're presumably a little more established as you go to get that 3. And hell if it was any authorship I'd be long done.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

What are your thoughts on morally repugnant turtle men

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Every clusterfuck delays my promotion because giving Royce a leadership title while we loose Capitol is a bad look.

Not mad at leadership, mad at the shitheads costing us Capitol.

Like, stop stealing from the company or being an edgelord.

edited August 2019
    Moriveth wrote: »

What are your thoughts on morally repugnant turtle men

They should be eaten at a free, state-sponsored banquet after a thorough cleansing and marination in a simple sauce of garlic, dry white wine, and salt.

sarukun on
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I don't think their going to like, fire or get rid of me. I do a think no one else here can do, and everyone likes me. I just think my boss had an idea for me, and that got changed by her boss and now she has no idea what to do with me and is just...moving me around hoping I fit somewhere

Obviously not a hard rule, but often “no one else can do” = “no one else understands” = “no one else values” = “you have 30 minutes to clean out your desk while an enormous and eerily quiet man named Vinny watches from the doorway.”

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

I'm glad I didn't have to do that. I got one crappy first author paper out of mine because I spent three and a bit years setting up the techniques.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule

I know. My brother needs one first-author paper to graduate with their PhD and that's been a struggle.

In case the non-academic here are curious, when a paper is published all contributors are listed as authors. In most cases, the names are listed in the order of the importance of their contribution to the total work. First-authors are listed first and get the most credit, second-authors are listed second, and so on. The one exception is the Primary Investigator (PI, boss) whose name goes last and gets the special asterisk as the "corresponding author".

*with the caveat that this is a convention that varies sometimes wildly between field, lab, and authorship group.

I always wonder how much effect a group going alphabetical has on the job prospects of its members.

edited August 2019
    warning: academic nerdery ahead
    Most disciplines which commonly use alphabetical ordering (eg pure maths) have a tacit understanding that author order is less important, or if you're working on a large problem and expect to publish several papers then the authors will rotate to give everyone a chance at the helm.
    OTOH biology often takes the entrail-reading of authorship to absurd extremes: I once had a friend turned down for a tenure job because he didn't have enough second-author papers.

BUT it's now become more widely acknowledged that divining contribution through author numbering is misleading and arcane, plus there's the coat-tail-riding situation common to large labs, so a lot of journals have a 'contribution' section where you have to detail exactly what each person did on the paper. Whether the job search committee looks that far is something of an open-ended question.

tynic on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    i remember when Eaton's tried to do one last re-brand and came up with this musical number in late november 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nvS6a7cvys

and it was pretty good!

the company went defunct in march 2001

Just a shame it was four decades too late.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    You know what’s a great answer to a shit work week?

Having your weekly sales update for the audiobook you had made to find that you’ve sold 17. Not huge life changing numbers but at $15 a book people have dropped over $250 on your stuff.

After amazon takes its blood tithe and the revenue is split with the narrator it’s $50 in my pocket, but still, it feels fucking great. I don’t personally listen to Audiobooks but to me $15 feels really expensive? Like well outside the impulse purchase range of a $2.99 ebook.

This is my short story collection, which is basically my test book. It was the first full book I did, but it’s much shorter than my novels, and is the lowest selling as it’s a niche within a niche(Short stories sell less than full length novels, with the notable exception of erotica). I’ve almost doubled my revenue from the book as a whole so far thanks to this. My first novel is currently being produced, so I’m interested to see how that does.

Edit:Turns out it’s not a weekly report, it’s a report that’s a week behind. That 17 figure was just for the first day. The update today shows an additional 10.

Norgoth on
    warning: academic nerdery ahead
    Most disciplines which commonly use alphabetical ordering (eg pure maths) have a tacit understanding that author order is less important, or if you're working on a large problem and expect to publish several papers then the authors will rotate to give everyone a chance at the helm.
    OTOH biology often takes the entrail-reading of authorship to absurd extremes: I once had a friend turned down for a tenure job because he didn't have enough second-author papers.

BUT it's now become more widely acknowledged that divining contribution through author numbering is misleading and arcane, plus there's the coat-tail-riding situation common to large labs, so a lot of journals have a 'contribution' section where you have to detail exactly what each person did on the paper. Whether the job search committee looks that far is something of an open-ended question.

The lack of second authorship story has steam coming out of my ears. That sounds way more made up and vindictive than an actual reason. At least what I'm used to hearing about is way more about did you get grants and did you do enough bitch work.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Welcome to FRIDAX, y'all.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Yesterday a couple of folks from the cataloging department came to the managers' meeting to present a new plan for updating genre headings in the collection. They basically introduced themselves, then played a ten-minute Powerpoint narrated by a few different text-to-voice bots in a desperate attempt to avoid any kind of public speaking.

Catalogers are just the best kind of weirdos, and I'm so glad we've provided a sheltered ecological niche for them.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Yesterday a couple of folks from the cataloging department came to the managers' meeting to present a new plan for updating genre headings in the collection. They basically introduced themselves, then played a ten-minute Powerpoint narrated by a few different text-to-voice bots in a desperate attempt to avoid any kind of public speaking.

Catalogers are just the best kind of weirdos, and I'm so glad we've provided a sheltered ecological niche for them.

Soooo you gonna do it? I'm imagining this like big block of cheese day on the west wing

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Sorry i slammed the door into you, kid

Thanks for not trying to get into the building

This discussion has been closed.