As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

the pod comes for us all in the end [jobs]

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    why would you put that into a coding challenge

because they probably copy/pasted it from somewhere else I'd wager

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    The most important invention? I'm going to have to go with fire/cooking. It literally shaped our evolution. We wouldn't be the same today without it.

Forget your vaccines, your money, your cars, your computers, or rocket ships.

Fire was the most important invention of all time.

Orca on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    The most important invention? I'm going to have to go with fire/cooking. It literally shaped our evolution. We wouldn't be the same today without it.

language

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I guess it depends what qualifies as important. Things can be both important and destructive.

In terms of genesis,
    hunting tools --> over-hunting --> massive macrofauna die-off --> invention of agriculture to supply calorie deficits --> large high-density settlements -->more disease, logistics, and bureaucracy --> pretty much everything we've got going on now.

If i ever go back in time, I'm going to have some serious fucking words with the inventor of the spear.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

But how do you buy your fire without money? Checkmate, atheists.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    The worst thing that happened to me at work today is that I accidentally bumped my desk and caused several thousand dollars in cash to fall all over my lap/the floor because I hadn't bundled it yet.

Also working with lots of money is filthy.

Money is disgusting. When my sister worked in the cash office of a supermarket she started taking in her own nitrile gloves for when she would have to count in the tills and deposit the takings, because even after scrubbing her hands in hot water with dishwashing liquid and a scouring pad they would still smell horrible.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Money was a terrible invention. specialized labor unfocused on the direct production of food, shelter, or clothing? What the fuck ancient people?

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

language

domestication of dogs, language, tools, husbandry/farming

probably in that order

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me

language

Nah. The brain structures that allow us to use language, in order to organize into large groups? Sure. But language? Dolphins have it. Parrots have it. Monkeys have it. Elephants have it. It certainly isn't special to us. It's how we use it to organize that's special.

But it's not a singular invention that allowed us to create societies.

language

Nah. The brain structures that allow us to use language, in order to organize into large groups? Sure. But language? Dolphins have it. Parrots have it. Monkeys have it. Elephants have it. It certainly isn't special to us. It's how we use it to organize that's special.

But it's not a singular invention that allowed us to create societies.

i think this would become a debate that's more about the definitions of "language" and "invention" than anything that would get us a useful comparison

but i'm not an anthropologist or a historian, so really I'm just taking guesses here

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I dunno I'm particular to pain au chocolat

I feel like that was a solid invention

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    KetBra wrote: »
    I dunno I'm particular to pain au chocolat

I feel like that was a solid invention

I can get behind this school of thought.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'm not sure humans can really claim fire as an invention.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

language

Hands up everyone who went back over Orca's post to find the bad cuss.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular

We didn't invent fire but we did discover how to harness and recreate it for our needs which I feel fits the broader theme in discussion.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln

We didn't invent fire but we did discover how to harness and recreate it for our needs which I feel fits the broader theme in discussion.

technically we don't really invent anything?

simple machines are nearly omnipresent in nature already

fire and combustion are natural processes

etc

we just transform and repurpose them to our needs

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I invented lying.

You're welcome.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I invented lying.

You're welcome.

That also means you're Ricky Gervais, and I am so, so sorry.

bowen wrote: »

etc

counter argument
    https://patents.google.com/patent/US6604245B1/en

etc

counter argument

What was Paul thinking??

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Greatest invention of all time is puns

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

etc

Fire just naturally occurs. Something like an aeroplane doesn't, even if 'things that fly' do, so I'd say planes are a human invention.

Fuck you autocorrect, aeroplane is a word

Brovid Hasselsmof on
    Madican wrote: »
    Greatest invention of all time is puns

okay dad

etc

counter argument

What was Paul thinking??

"These pants need more leaves", presumably.

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'd say Freon...it keeps me and my food nice and chilly

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular

etc

counter argument

What was Paul thinking??

What if....what if I was the rake?

PSN: jfrofl
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »

etc

counter argument

What was Paul thinking??

What if....what if I was the rake?

This is a 13+ forum, you degenerate

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Pwease no steppy

usnTyq4.jpg
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Was helping my wife look for a job at local universities and I see the one I got my bachelors degree from has an opening in their Cyber Security department. Its the lower level too. "Must be fluent in C, C+, Java, Python, and other programming languages" well I know some of two of those "Must have any three of the following certifications: CEH, OSCP, CISSP, CISM, CPP" uhhh those are a bit higher end... "Must have a bachelors degree or equivalent in computer security" ok ok... "Must have at least 6 years leading a team of security professionals"

Oh ok, so you want a programming wonderkin who has a bunch of management level certs and tons of management experience for...a lot less then they could make literally anywhere else. Good luck with that.

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I'd just apply anyway. It kinda sucks even at our office they put such high requirements, even when I submit for a job posting what should be on there, HR always add additional things.

It's pretty counter intuitive, as you'll never get someone at that level who will work for that wage and then you scare off lots of people who would be genuinely amazing for the role.

Dixon on
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Was helping my wife look for a job at local universities and I see the one I got my bachelors degree from has an opening in their Cyber Security department. Its the lower level too. "Must be fluent in C, C+, Java, Python, and other programming languages" well I know some of two of those "Must have any three of the following certifications: CEH, OSCP, CISSP, CISM, CPP" uhhh those are a bit higher end... "Must have a bachelors degree or equivalent in computer security" ok ok... "Must have at least 6 years leading a team of security professionals"

Oh ok, so you want a programming wonderkin who has a bunch of management level certs and tons of management experience for...a lot less then they could make literally anywhere else. Good luck with that.

damn

is that salary for 500k a year? jfc

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    I'd just apply anyway. It kinda sucks even at our office they put such high requirements, even when I submit for a job posting what should be on there HR always add additional things.

It's pretty counter intuitive, as you'll never get someone at that level who will work for that wage and then you scare off lots of people who would be genuinely amazing for the role.

Yup, let them figure out if you are actually qualified or not, not your job to eliminate yourself. Obv don't take this to extremes but especially in the face of crazy reqs it's a good idea to just apply.

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Doing some consulting work for a client. They want the billable hours capped at 5 hours a week.

The new PM wants to have a daily meeting that runs 30 minutes to an hour and we have to have someone on even when it's not related to the very small project we're doing.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Doing some consulting work for a client. They want the billable hours capped at 5 hours a week.

The new PM wants to have a daily meeting that runs 30 minutes to an hour and we have to have someone on even when it's not related to the very small project we're doing.

Sounds like a real easy contract to fulfill. "Yesterday I attended this meeting for an hour. This puts me on par for the expected hours for this week."

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    Last day for the administrative assistant for the firm is today, and apparently one of the legal secretaries is leaving in a couple weeks too!

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    For a job listing as stupid as that one, I also wouldn't rule out that it's a mandatory public listing for a position they want to fill internally. Although at that pay. :bigfrown:
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I invented lying.

You're welcome.

Or... am I? Dun dun dun!

Moriveth wrote: »
    I invented lying.

You're welcome.

Or... am I? Dun dun dun!

Oh shit

Oh fuck

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular

Based on stories of PMs at one of my SO's places of work a few years ago, this seems pretty standard.

steam_sig.png
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    The project is behind on it's deliverables! We're going to have two hours of meetings instead of doing actual work until we're back on track.

This discussion has been closed.