Kids/Parenting: It’s fine, everything is fine.

1171820222331

Posts

  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    please vent as much as you like, Rick.

    I'm sorry you're so stressed out. Wish we could help more.

    Capt HowdyAimJansonmatt has a problemElvenshaeHappylilElfShadowfireschussspool32DisruptedCapitalist
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    The [ spoiler ] tag is there for you if you want to vent and are afraid of wall-of-texting the thread.

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Some sorta sentient internet aggregator
    Elvenshae
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Kind of gross but does anyone have any suggestions on keeping my 5 year old son from picking his nose and eating it? I call him out on it all the time amd have tissues always available but he just does it out of habit.

    The problem is that he's been sick twice the last month and when he gets sick then so do I.

    Pick your nose and then make him eat it.
    Line his nostrils with a bitterant.
    Tell him he's not leaving the dinner table until he eats this whole carton of boogers in front of you.
    Dress up as his favorite cartoon character and talk about how none of the ninja turtles? would want boogers on their pizza.
    Dress up as his least favorite cartoon character/person and describe how enjoyable booger picking is and what a great thing it is to do.
    Get an invisible fencing company to put a tiny collar on his finger and tiny fencing around his nose.
    Debooger him yourself regularly, cutting off the supply.
    Tiny nose muzzle.
    Chinese finger trap.
    Install a mesh screen over the nostrils like you do for windows.

    This took me like five minutes. Pick your favorite! I like the eat the booger carton one because like where do you even get that!

    I tried this the other evening at dinner. Told my daughter if she kept picking her nose and eating it we would buy a box of boogers and make her eat the whole thing. She thought that sounded awesome. Every night now she's asked me "daddy, did you buy me the box of boogers yet?"

    So thanks a lot.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    CarpykimeMichaelLCBrodyDisruptedCapitalisturahonkyElvenshaeAimSleephonovereChaosHatspool32JansonHappylilElfNobeardJaysonFourCauldCapt HowdyVishNubMegaMan001djmitchellaRickRudeIncenjucar
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Kind of gross but does anyone have any suggestions on keeping my 5 year old son from picking his nose and eating it? I call him out on it all the time amd have tissues always available but he just does it out of habit.

    The problem is that he's been sick twice the last month and when he gets sick then so do I.

    Pick your nose and then make him eat it.
    Line his nostrils with a bitterant.
    Tell him he's not leaving the dinner table until he eats this whole carton of boogers in front of you.
    Dress up as his favorite cartoon character and talk about how none of the ninja turtles? would want boogers on their pizza.
    Dress up as his least favorite cartoon character/person and describe how enjoyable booger picking is and what a great thing it is to do.
    Get an invisible fencing company to put a tiny collar on his finger and tiny fencing around his nose.
    Debooger him yourself regularly, cutting off the supply.
    Tiny nose muzzle.
    Chinese finger trap.
    Install a mesh screen over the nostrils like you do for windows.

    This took me like five minutes. Pick your favorite! I like the eat the booger carton one because like where do you even get that!

    I tried this the other evening at dinner. Told my daughter if she kept picking her nose and eating it we would buy a box of boogers and make her eat the whole thing. She thought that sounded awesome. Every night now she's asked me "daddy, did you buy me the box of boogers yet?"

    So thanks a lot.

    https://www.candywarehouse.com/flix-candy-gummy-boogers-candy-theater-packs-12-piece-box

  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Apparently slim fit baby PJ's are a thing? And all of my local brick and mortar decided that sizes 12 months and up needed to all be slim fit. Given that I have a 9 month baby with a traditional build this decision is a giant pain in my ass. I had to go to Amazon to find standard fits.

    Yet another thing to file into the "weird things that happened during the 10 years between my kids" bin.

    Carpy on
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    Apparently slim fit baby PJ's are a thing? And all of my local brick and mortar decided that sizes 12 months and up needed to all be slim fit. Given that I have a 9 month baby of a traditional build this decision is a giant pain in my ass. I had to go to Amazon to find standard fits.

    Yet another thing to file into the "weird things that happened during the 10 years between my kids" bin.

    If I wasn't at work id check some brands for you, my first daughter had always been sub 50 percentile for weight till recently and never had a problem with slimmer jams but my 14 month old is living the chonk life and some of her hand me downs just were never feasible

    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    We ran into a ton of clothes from like 3 months to 5 years at least that were all designed for rail thin children without being labeled anything but a standard size. Some of the proportions were ridiculous.

    My kid has practically always been 90-95% for height and weight, but that kept it proportional, if a bit solid (THE STRENGTH!).

  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    For us it tends to be the cuffs that are a problem. It's a struggle to get the wrists through these sleeves and cuffs. The ankles are tight too but since we usually put those on first and toes can't be splayed out like fingers it's a bit easier to get past them.

  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    Apparently slim fit baby PJ's are a thing? And all of my local brick and mortar decided that sizes 12 months and up needed to all be slim fit. Given that I have a 9 month baby with a traditional build this decision is a giant pain in my ass. I had to go to Amazon to find standard fits.

    Yet another thing to file into the "weird things that happened during the 10 years between my kids" bin.

    Slim fit pyjamas get around the fire safety regulations that otherwise require fire-retardant chemicals.

    https://www.babylist.com/hello-baby/flame-retardant-baby-clothes

    So It GoesElvenshaeDisruptedCapitalistJansonMulysaSempronius
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    The fact that all baby/toddler clothes are apparently made of lighter fluid (based on the many, many prominent warnings everywhere about how flammable they are) was one of the more surprising things for me....

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    BrodyPeenlunchbox12682Incenjucar
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    A bunch of synthetic fibers are hydrocarbon based, and burning is kind of what hydrocarbons are for.

  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Our daughter is on the smaller side and we found Carter's stuff to fit to size so yeah those may be too small.

    Echo wrote: »
    Something working on the first try is a source of great suspicion.
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Carpy wrote: »
    For us it tends to be the cuffs that are a problem. It's a struggle to get the wrists through these sleeves and cuffs. The ankles are tight too but since we usually put those on first and toes can't be splayed out like fingers it's a bit easier to get past them.

    Yeah sometimes wrists, often times my little girls thighs become a vicious pinch point on otherwise we'll fitting pajamas

    For background she just turned 14 months today and fits comfortably in 24 month and 2T clothes.

    RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • GorkGork Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Our daughter is on the smaller side and we found Carter's stuff to fit to size so yeah those may be too small.
    My four month old is wearing the six to nine month old Carter’s stuff but she’s already 16lbs.

    honovere
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Luckily, in 1996 the Consumer Product Safety Commission voted to introduce a loophole in the law: pajamas didn’t need to be made of fire-resistant fabrics if they were tight-fitting! Tight-fitting pajamas are less flammable because fires need oxygen to burn. So if there is no air between the child’s skin and the fabric, the fire gets less oxygen.

    Wot??

    It's good to know that these things are just a scam to get around liability

    spool32Kayne Red RobeMulysaSempronius
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    So it looks like despite this thread me and Bulgarian girl are probably going to start trying for a child next year. Subsequent copies to be determined by how that goes.

    Keep up the nightmare fuel.

    Nightmare fuel? Ok so months ago, I think like March? I told an anecdote in another thread that ended with, "the oldest one had done SOMETHING to the toaster while we were gone. Like, we don't know what he did, the babysitter had no idea, it was just gone."

    We gave up and bought a new toaster this week.

    It's weird, our second boy beat the child-proofing on the freezer, got out four frozen waffles, climbed up on the counter, toasted them properly, and gave one to each kid.

    Twenty minutes later, the girl triplet put a roll of scotch tape in the toaster.
    Carpy wrote: »
    Luckily, in 1996 the Consumer Product Safety Commission voted to introduce a loophole in the law: pajamas didn’t need to be made of fire-resistant fabrics if they were tight-fitting! Tight-fitting pajamas are less flammable because fires need oxygen to burn. So if there is no air between the child’s skin and the fabric, the fire gets less oxygen.

    Wot??

    It's good to know that these things are just a scam to get around liability

    Where do they think the fire is?

    nUzGRMY.gif
    twitch.tv/Taramoor
    @TaramoorPlays
    CarpyKayne Red RobeDisruptedCapitalistAtlas in Chainsshryke
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    Luckily, in 1996 the Consumer Product Safety Commission voted to introduce a loophole in the law: pajamas didn’t need to be made of fire-resistant fabrics if they were tight-fitting! Tight-fitting pajamas are less flammable because fires need oxygen to burn. So if there is no air between the child’s skin and the fabric, the fire gets less oxygen.

    Wot??

    It's good to know that these things are just a scam to get around liability

    So, their reason is wrong, but the outcome is real thanks to thermal conductivity. It's the paper cup full of water over a candle science experiment, the paper doesn't burn but the water will eventually boil, because the water transfers the heat away from the paper fast enough the paper can't reach its ignition temperature. The same reason you're told to not wear loose fitting clothing in labs when using open flames. You'll still get burned of course because of the heat transfer but the clothing won't ignite.

    nibXTE7.png
    ShadowfireGilgaron
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Gork wrote: »
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Our daughter is on the smaller side and we found Carter's stuff to fit to size so yeah those may be too small.
    My four month old is wearing the six to nine month old Carter’s stuff but she’s already 16lbs.

    The use of age in baby sizes is bullshit. My boys were running about double their age but are both huge (Tony's shorter than Sam at the same age and is still in the 98th percentile for height), but a friend of my wife has a kid who's below the 50th percentile for size and is still consistently one size, sometimes two ahead of her age.

    JansonMegaMan001Peen
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Kind of gross but does anyone have any suggestions on keeping my 5 year old son from picking his nose and eating it? I call him out on it all the time amd have tissues always available but he just does it out of habit.

    The problem is that he's been sick twice the last month and when he gets sick then so do I.

    Pick your nose and then make him eat it.
    Line his nostrils with a bitterant.
    Tell him he's not leaving the dinner table until he eats this whole carton of boogers in front of you.
    Dress up as his favorite cartoon character and talk about how none of the ninja turtles? would want boogers on their pizza.
    Dress up as his least favorite cartoon character/person and describe how enjoyable booger picking is and what a great thing it is to do.
    Get an invisible fencing company to put a tiny collar on his finger and tiny fencing around his nose.
    Debooger him yourself regularly, cutting off the supply.
    Tiny nose muzzle.
    Chinese finger trap.
    Install a mesh screen over the nostrils like you do for windows.

    This took me like five minutes. Pick your favorite! I like the eat the booger carton one because like where do you even get that!

    I tried this the other evening at dinner. Told my daughter if she kept picking her nose and eating it we would buy a box of boogers and make her eat the whole thing. She thought that sounded awesome. Every night now she's asked me "daddy, did you buy me the box of boogers yet?"

    So thanks a lot.

    Okay good move kid. I have a new gambit.

    You tell her the booger store is all out due to manufacturing and logistics issues caused by COVID, so instead you're working on making her a box full of daddy boogers and she'll just have to eat those. You just have to hope that dad specific boogers is a turn off here. Do whatever you can to make that concept as unappealing as possible.

    DisruptedCapitalistBrodyRickRude
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    You can try lumpy mashed potatoes with green and yellow food coloring, but she still might call your bluff on it because, generally speaking an adult is going to lose a gross out contest with a kid every time.

    Hevach on
    SleepElvenshaeDisruptedCapitalistkime
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    You can try lumpy mashed potatoes with green and yellow food coloring, but she still might call your bluff on it because, generally speaking an adult is going to lose a gross out contest with a kid every time.

    This is entirely too risky given the situation. If that kid eats those potatoes you're going to have to keep making those weird potatoes for dinner.

    If the dad boogers gambit doesn't work I'd recommend moving away from the...psychological tactics and into the more physical ones, like the mesh screen.

  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yeah, neeeever should've challenged a small child to a contest of grossout. Now you've gotta figure out a clever way to out-gross them, but with the handicap that they're too young to understand much about gross things.

  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Yeah, neeeever should've challenged a small child to a contest of grossout. Now you've gotta figure out a clever way to out-gross them, but with the handicap that they're too young to understand much about gross things.

    “People in TV shows kissing and making lovey eyes at each other”

    ElvenshaeHappylilElfdjmitchellaJansonNobeard
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yeah, neeeever should've challenged a small child to a contest of grossout. Now you've gotta figure out a clever way to out-gross them, but with the handicap that they're too young to understand much about gross things.

    “People in TV shows kissing and making lovey eyes at each other”

    Right, but good luck working that into the booger situation.

    And you know what, just keep that solution to yourself. I really don't even want to know what it is.

  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Anyone have any age appropriate education games for a three year old on iOS? Trying to mix some in now that the kiddo is a little older.

    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • UrsusUrsus Registered User regular
    third day of social distancing. My daughter have now made me re-enact the Anna-Elsa wake up scene from Frozen 48+ times (we started counting).

    Just over and over... "The sky is awake, so I'm awake", "Do the magic do the magic".

    schussLindDisruptedCapitalistCarpylonelyahavakimeElvenshaeShadowfireJansonurahonkyZombie GandhiNobeard
  • CauldCauld Registered User regular
    I saw that abcmouse is free for now. My kids are probably too young to use it, and I have a negative opinion of them based solely on their youtube ads, but other ppl seem to like them.

  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist screaming Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    Anyone have any age appropriate education games for a three year old on iOS? Trying to mix some in now that the kiddo is a little older.

    Khan Academy Kids or ABCMouse. I've used ABCMouse for years, but starting this morning we're introducing Khan Academy too which has been successful in capturing my first grader's interest so far.

    Shadowfire
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    Anyone have any age appropriate education games for a three year old on iOS? Trying to mix some in now that the kiddo is a little older.

    Khan Academy Kids or ABCMouse. I've used ABCMouse for years, but starting this morning we're introducing Khan Academy too which has been successful in capturing my first grader's interest so far.

    Khan Academy Kids is pretty great, my daughter's been using it for a little over a year (turns 5 in a month).

    Also the Endless games, but they're very expensive. Endless ABCs, Endless 123, and Endless Reader.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    DisruptedCapitalist
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist screaming Registered User regular
    Oh that should be no problem! I've got Endless Dungeon and Endless Space and Endless Legend! My kids will become geniuses I tell ya!

    m!ttensMojo_JojoRanlinKayne Red Robea5ehren
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    ...
    Probably only got time for one of those games during quarantine though.

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Some sorta sentient internet aggregator
    DisruptedCapitalistKayne Red Robe
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Depending on how long the area you're in gets shut down you could try playing and finishing The Longing.

  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Anyone have experience and/or recommendations for reusable squeeze pouches?

  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    Anyone have experience and/or recommendations for reusable squeeze pouches?

    We had some that were quite stiff and plasticity that I didn't like. I think something with a silicon pouch would be way better


    Now a question of my own, my kid is about to turn 4 and needs a new bike, his wooden balance bike is falling apart. Anyone got specific brand recommendations. I think he can graduate to pedals now.

    :so_raven:
  • jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    Carpy wrote: »
    Anyone have experience and/or recommendations for reusable squeeze pouches?

    We had some that were quite stiff and plasticity that I didn't like. I think something with a silicon pouch would be way better


    Now a question of my own, my kid is about to turn 4 and needs a new bike, his wooden balance bike is falling apart. Anyone got specific brand recommendations. I think he can graduate to pedals now.

    Just get something delivered from Walmart. 12” or 16” depending on your kids height.

    It’s a disposable item at that age - by the time it would “wear out” it’ll be outgrown.

    Pick the color they like and get a matching helmet.

    shryke wrote: »
    ...Barack "charisma isn't a dump stat, nerds" Obama...
    MulysaSemproniusElvenshae
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Yeah something like this:
    https://www.walmart.com/co/Free-Helmet-with-a-Huffy-16-quot-Boys-or-Girls-Bike/291551635?

    They also have Frozen and Spiderman bikes with bags which is kind of fun. Just ignore the shitty gendering.

    MichaelLC on
    Echo wrote: »
    Something working on the first try is a source of great suspicion.
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    My daughter will not sleep. I'm sure the chaos of the last few weeks isn't helping, of course, but we're getting stressed. She's up by 530 every morning, won't nap, and gets to be a complete asshole by 4-5 in the afternoon.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    DisruptedCapitalistJebus314
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    My daughter will not sleep. I'm sure the chaos of the last few weeks isn't helping, of course, but we're getting stressed. She's up by 530 every morning, won't nap, and gets to be a complete asshole by 4-5 in the afternoon.

    How old is she and how long has it been going on for? If there is no underlying issue, I would guess it’s just a phase and things will probably return to normal sooner or later.

    a5ehren
  • R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    So there I was, enjoying a nice, hot shower. Suddenly, the bathroom door opened. I peered out around the shower curtain to see that a Paw Patrol pup tent had mysteriously appeared in the middle of the bathroom. "Gee, who could that be," I asked. In response, the pup tent emitted an evil cackle, issued forth a single chubby toddler arm, and flushed the toilet before scuttling away.

    Ah, parenthood.

    BrodyMichaelLCShadowfireAimSleepElvenshaekimeKetarHappylilElfCarpylonelyahavaJaysonFourRanlinJebus314Capt HowdyMovitzNobeardhonovereSir LandsharkKayne Red RobePhistidjmitchella
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    My daughter will not sleep. I'm sure the chaos of the last few weeks isn't helping, of course, but we're getting stressed. She's up by 530 every morning, won't nap, and gets to be a complete asshole by 4-5 in the afternoon.

    How old is she and how long has it been going on for? If there is no underlying issue, I would guess it’s just a phase and things will probably return to normal sooner or later.

    She's almost 5. We've been dealing with behavioral issues for a while with her and it's been steadily getting worse. She's been diagnosed with ADHD which I really didn't want at this age but everyone from the doctors to get school liaisons have said it's clear. I hate it.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
Sign In or Register to comment.