As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kids/Parenting: It’s fine, everything is fine.

1444546474850»

• SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit 4.5 MV of POWER! Registered User regular
    edited November 24
    urahonky wrote: »
    Hm. So my son has been recently talking about how he wants to sleep with his big sister because sometimes at night when he's alone he gets scared because he hears something "screaming" and he doesn't know what it is. He said it sounds like the tornado siren or something. He says it's localized at the window or something. It's very weird. I think it might be tinnitus since I also have the problem. I can only really hear it whenever I am at night and it's quiet... So I played a Youtube video that supposedly sounds like tinnitus and he said it sounds exactly like that.... For every sound they played lol. There was 10 different sounds and he did a thumbs up on each of them.

So I don't know if it's actually tinnitus or if he's just going through a heavy dream that he thinks someone is screaming out the window or something.

Does the window have a screen? With high winds in the right direction, I can get loud howling noises at my house sometimes. You know that sound howling sound you always here in movies on desolate landscapes? Sounds a lot like that.

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Hm. So my son has been recently talking about how he wants to sleep with his big sister because sometimes at night when he's alone he gets scared because he hears something "screaming" and he doesn't know what it is. He said it sounds like the tornado siren or something. He says it's localized at the window or something. It's very weird. I think it might be tinnitus since I also have the problem. I can only really hear it whenever I am at night and it's quiet... So I played a Youtube video that supposedly sounds like tinnitus and he said it sounds exactly like that.... For every sound they played lol. There was 10 different sounds and he did a thumbs up on each of them.

So I don't know if it's actually tinnitus or if he's just going through a heavy dream that he thinks someone is screaming out the window or something.

Maybe you should have the doctor look in his ears, might be an infection.

This may be it, a partially blocked ear can cause temporary tinnitus. It's scary stuff even as a grown up. Last time it happened to me it was like there was constant windstorm according to my right ear.
    Hydrocortisone drops work really well if it's swollen, or a doctors assistant may need to clean out gunk.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    CelestialBadger
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    So every morning, when my 3yo wakes up, she complains her throat hurts and her stomach hurts. However, this pain does not seem to incommodate her in any way: after she complains about it once she gets dressed and goes on about her day as if nothing was wrong. I suspect she may just be thirsty and hungry when waking up. She eats a solid breakfast (scrambled eggs, toast, yogurt) and doesn't complain about any pain.

So she may just be hungry, or she may have just integrated this complaint as part of her daily routine. Or there may be something seriously wrong with her? I don't think that's likely, but does anyone have a similar experience?

sig.gif
  • urahonkyurahonky Dayton, OHRegistered User regular
    It might be something she just does. My 3 yr old threw up a couple of times about 2 months ago and for weeks after she would say she needs a bucket.

Do you keep a cup of water in her bed (obviously covered)? How is the humidity in your house? Maybe she's just extra dry.

It could also be drainage. If I have bad post nasal drip then I get a sore throat and upset stomach. It goes away about an hour after waking up.

lonelyahava
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Sometimes "my tummy hurts" means the child needs to poo. Sit them on the toilet after breakfast and see what happens.

• dennisdennis Executive Peasant Registered User regular
    It's so difficult figuring out real medical complaints from habit. And worrying that they stop complaining because they just decided it was "normal."

• BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    How's the humidity in her room? Might just have a dry throat from winter dryness.

• dennisdennis Executive Peasant Registered User regular
    I can't believe it. This was the best holiday at the kids' Grandma's house we've had in about two years. My son did not have a meltdown at all, and actually got along with everyone pretty much the whole time. I had talked to him in advance, saying "Just come to me and talk about things if you can't take it. We can go home if we need to [we drove two cars for this reason], but let's make it because we agreed to and not because you got in trouble." Plus his uncle was there, and he likes hanging out with him. I think those things, and carrying over a piece of pizza to allay his worries about having nothing he liked to eat helped out a lot. While he didn't go near the turkey, he tried the corn and yams, without us even suggesting it. He said both were "Okay. Not bad.", which is a pretty huge leap for him. We came home in a good mood and had a good bedtime routine, with not fuss for drama. And my daughter is sleeping over at grandma's, so we get to sleep in tomorrow morning.

I am truly thankful.

KetarJebus314CarpykimeMNC DoverlonelyahavaLindSharpyVIIShadowfireMulysaSemproniusRichyBanzai5150CorvusSummaryJudgmentAimurahonkyCalicaCauldElvenshaeexisCroakerBC