As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MCU] Nevermind, just a case of the ol' ALF method.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Are we talking about the headbutt?

I thought it’s not so much that it didn’t hurt her, but that it didn’t even touch Marvel at all. Thanos tries to headbutt her, but he doesn’t make it past that energy field she has. There’s even a little hollow sound effect punctuating Thanos’ hit being completely pointless.
    I like Stark's reaction to it more than Rocket being a dick. That's just too much of being an asshole, considering there's gotta be a zillion intergalactic armies floating around space so not knowing the one specific weakness of one army is hardly ridiculous.

There's also the part where Rocket criticizes Stark for only being a genius on Earth and it's like... raccoon dude, you're hanging from the underside of a fucking time machine that this guy designed in about a day after spending some time one evening on cracking time travel. At some point, you're just talking out your ass because all you make are things that blow up. Pretty sure if there were Stark-grade geniuses all over the place, Thanos wouldn't have needed to borrow a time travel device because he just would've had his own.

Yeah, but how many gods has Tony killed?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    The only Thanos I ever read in the comics was a standalone small book, where he gathers all the infinity stones, and he wasnt punchy at all, in fact, he has to outwit the stone users.

Also, at work we had a forum on gender studies, and one of the speakers, a greek dude, was actually called Thanos, like, thats his real name.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    I do feel her energy absorption power has been poorly conveyed tho. Didn't pick up on it most of the times she did it. Namely when she's fighting Thanos - she's apparently draining juice out of the Gauntlet to power up. I thought she was just, y'know, stronger than him.

I had no idea Captain Marvel had energy absorbtion powers until literally this post.

Exactly! There's not much in the way of visuals or sound design for it. The only hints toward it happening are in her standalone movie. First time she goes Super Saiyan she drains all the power from the ship, and then when she lands on Earth all the power lines behind her are crackling. But the way it's filmed, with her breaking that limiter thing off, I dunno, just sorta assumed that was her discovering she didn't really have any upper limit.

Usually they're so good about new power = new weird sound or visual, but Marvel's energy absorption ain't got something consistent yet. Just a weird wub wub noise when she's wrasslin' the Gauntlet.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Was she born with energy absorption and that's how she survived the engine explosion?

reVerse on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    The only interesting takeaway from the kneel scene was seeing Gamora bail, which you never really realize happened until the (As)guardians are on the ship.

My favorite odd couple in Endgame is easily Nebula and Rhodes. Give me a series about their wacky galactic antics, please.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I really loved how Nebula bonded with Tony, Rocket, and Rhodey and I wanted more of it.

If you’d told me when Guardians 1 came out that the MCU character I’d relate to most would be Nebula, I’d have laughed in your face.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The way she flinches and smiles when they're playing with the paper football is devastating

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    The way she flinches and smiles when they're playing with the paper football is devastating

That little sequence also shows how much Tony had matured since his first couple of appearances. No way does the him of 10 years ago have the empathy or emotional IQ to read and respond to Nebula that well.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Karen Gillen deserves some sort of award for her portryal.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

It still bothers me, as a fan of Doctor Who, and as someone who enjoyed the Jumanji reboot, that my brain still can't see it.

I know on an intellectual level that's Karen Gillan. But the rest of my brain completely rejects it.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Karen Gillen deserves some sort of award for her portryal.

Especially while under all the makeup and prosthetic.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I like Stark's reaction to it more than Rocket being a dick. That's just too much of being an asshole, considering there's gotta be a zillion intergalactic armies floating around space so not knowing the one specific weakness of one army is hardly ridiculous.

There's also the part where Rocket criticizes Stark for only being a genius on Earth and it's like... raccoon dude, you're hanging from the underside of a fucking time machine that this guy designed in about a day after spending some time one evening on cracking time travel. At some point, you're just talking out your ass because all you make are things that blow up. Pretty sure if there were Stark-grade geniuses all over the place, Thanos wouldn't have needed to borrow a time travel device because he just would've had his own.

There's also the thing of that's exactly what happened, so... he's being a dick about nothing.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAxmIxGXMOY

The stuntman that did the stunts for Black Panther in Winter Soldier talks about his experience. It's really fascinating stuff. It's kind of refreshing that even though so much of these movies are laden with CGI, they still get enough practical effects in. Like I would have just assumed they CG'd the fast running in the tunnel, but they actually freakin' did it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

There's also the thing of that's exactly what happened, so... he's being a dick about nothing.

It was more about the 2-3 hours part. They did finally destroy the ship and disable the army but it was a last minute Hail Mary by Stark and disabling the army was a completely unknown outcome.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Rchanen wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »
    There was something that didn't quite click with the headbutt, but I attribute it more to the CGI. There was just something off about it that didn't look real.

Physical invulnerability (which Captain Marvel has when she's fully charged up into binary mode) doesn't usually translate well to film. See also: BvS when Batman is punching Superman just as a kryptonite grenade wears off. The complete lack of visible force transfer like punching a statue just doesn't look right to the eye.

It only seems to happen (at least to me) when it's physical invulnerability in hand-to-hand combat. CM punching space ships or Superman tanking a hail of gunfire, yeah, sure. Likewise Deadpool breaking his hand on Colossus because the guy's made of metal and it's exactly what you expect. CM or Supes taking a punch to the face without even a little skin wobble and it's a nosedive down the uncanny valley.

Also because it doesn't make sense and violates the laws of physics.

Lets say your physically invulnerable. Can't take damage. Won't even take a scratch. You still weigh what you weigh. So if some super strong titan punches you should go flying back. You should just get up unscathed, brush your shoulders off (Ala Luke in TLJ) and get back in the fight.

That aspect of physics breaking could be countered by the physics breaking of self-powered flight. All you gotta do is will yourself to stay in place with an exactly equal and opposite amount of force. :P

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Scooter wrote: »
    There was something that didn't quite click with the headbutt, but I attribute it more to the CGI. There was just something off about it that didn't look real.

Physical invulnerability (which Captain Marvel has when she's fully charged up into binary mode) doesn't usually translate well to film. See also: BvS when Batman is punching Superman just as a kryptonite grenade wears off. The complete lack of visible force transfer like punching a statue just doesn't look right to the eye.

It only seems to happen (at least to me) when it's physical invulnerability in hand-to-hand combat. CM punching space ships or Superman tanking a hail of gunfire, yeah, sure. Likewise Deadpool breaking his hand on Colossus because the guy's made of metal and it's exactly what you expect. CM or Supes taking a punch to the face without even a little skin wobble and it's a nosedive down the uncanny valley.

Lets say your physically invulnerable. Can't take damage. Won't even take a scratch. You still weigh what you weigh. So if some super strong titan punches you should go flying back. You should just get up unscathed, brush your shoulders off (Ala Luke in TLJ) and get back in the fight.

That aspect of physics breaking could be countered by the physics breaking of self-powered flight. All you gotta do is will yourself to stay in place with an exactly equal and opposite amount of force. :P

I like to think that part of her Binary powerset is Carol being able to take kinetic force directed against her, phase it into and through the punch dimension and then said force exits back into real spacetime and punches Scott Summers in the face.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I'd like that power to work against everybody involved with Dark Phoenix

good god that was a terrible movie

• Options
    Scooter wrote: »

I like to think that part of her Binary powerset is Carol being able to take kinetic force directed against her, phase it into and through the punch dimension and then said force exits back into real spacetime and punches Scott Summers in the face.

So your saying every time Marvel gets hit, Cyclops basically gets punched in the face?

I can live with that.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

I'm convinced that the Dark Phoenix is real because there's no other way to explain how multiple Dark Phoenix movies have been made.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Anybody who saw it in theaters, for money, had to know what they were getting into. That thing was so obviously going to be terrible that I have trouble generating sympathy for them.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

I'm convinced that the Dark Phoenix is real because there's no other way to explain how multiple Dark Phoenix movies have been made.

It's one of the 8 basic plots.

Overcoming the Monster
    Rags to Riches
    The Quest
    Voyage and Return
    The Dark Phoenix
    Comedy
    Tragedy
    Rebirth

• Options

Anybody who saw it in theaters, for money, had to know what they were getting into. That thing was so obviously going to be terrible that I have trouble generating sympathy for them.

You think you're prepared

but you're not

oh are you not

• Options
    Is it Origins: Wolverine bad or Apocalypse bad?

I find Origins “haha” bad while Apocalypse is boring bad.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Is it Origins: Wolverine bad or Apocalypse bad?

I find Origins “haha” bad while Apocalypse is boring bad.

It's Apocalypse bad. It's not even so bad it's good, it's just bad.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

I almost did out of love for the franchise. Hell, I saw Apocalypse in theaters.

But DP scared me away.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    We rewatched the first Avengers yesterday, and in terms of the filmmaking it's quite a bit more rough than I remember. You can also see how some characters hadn't really settled into their personality yet (I'm mainly thinking of Thor, but I'm not sure they ever really decided what Bruce Banner was supposed to be like either, because this film's Banner is decidedly different from later Banner). However, when it works, it works so well in terms of setting up the team dynamics, and it's great to watch this especially with Steve and Tony's arcs in mind. We'll be rewatching Endgame next week.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I almost did out of love for the franchise. Hell, I saw Apocalypse in theaters.

But DP scared me away.

Scared me too. I hear if you stretch...

Oh, you mean Dark Phoenix. I'm not sure I'd not take the other, over watching it again.

While I'm not a fan of Disney becoming a monopoly for superhero stuff, the inability of WB, Fox and Sony (for the most part) to not just consistently fuck it up, makes me not mind so much. This isn't Disney using unfair practices to stifle genuine competition. This is "the product is clearly inferior".

Yes, there are some exceptions, and Disney/Marvel has some clunkers of their own. But the floors and ceilings just aren't close to comparable.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Dark Phoenix is above Apocalypse and X-men Origins: Wolverine. It' stunningly mediocre for the most part, which makes it a middling X-men film.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Dark Phoenix bombed so hard that they were giving away it's swag for other movies, at least at my local theater. They had this $25 metal bucket and cup combo at my local Regal when it came out. When I went to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, my popcorn arrived in one of those metal DP buckets.

I ended up keeping it because it's a really nice popcorn bucket and seems to hold up well in the dishwasher. I just wish it didn't have those gauty logos all over it. It's a shame those GoT girls got mixed up with such terrible productions so soon after season 8's fan overreaction full-on public freakout.

• Options
    Dark Phoenix was terrible, and it was STILL much better than Endgame, my god, that movie sucked for way too long.
    But! Eventhough it was a bad movie, they retired the current timeline Raven, so it wasnt all bad, now I just wish they could get a better Cyclops
    (and a better writter wouldnt hurt either)

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    Dark Phoenix was terrible, and it was STILL much better than Endgame, my god, that movie sucked for way too long.

That’s... a take alright.

I mean, everyone’s entitled to their opinions.

But. Uh. Where to start?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Forar wrote: »

But. Uh. Where to start?

Start by taking off that damn Mickey Mouse hat, its too distracting.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

But. Uh. Where to start?

Dark Phoenix did absolutely nothing remotely close to Endgame, and I say that as someone who liked Dark Phoenix.

• Options

But. Uh. Where to start?

Ah yes, the “If you liked it, you must obviously be shilling for the mouse, therefor I automatically win because you are a brainwashed pawn,” argument.

steam_sig.png

• Options

But. Uh. Where to start?

Ah yes, the “If you liked it, you must obviously be shilling for the mouse, therefor I automatically win because you are a brainwashed pawn,” argument.

Yeah, uh, I can understand disliking a popular thing(I think Civil War was a much better Black Panther film than Black Panther), but you should probably have a better receipt than that.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Especially when the thing you're saying is better is a horrible 4th movie to a series that only has 1.5 decent movies. I just watched DP on Fri and bleh...so much wasted potential...

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Thirith wrote: »
    We rewatched the first Avengers yesterday, and in terms of the filmmaking it's quite a bit more rough than I remember. You can also see how some characters hadn't really settled into their personality yet (I'm mainly thinking of Thor, but I'm not sure they ever really decided what Bruce Banner was supposed to be like either, because this film's Banner is decidedly different from later Banner). However, when it works, it works so well in terms of setting up the team dynamics, and it's great to watch this especially with Steve and Tony's arcs in mind. We'll be rewatching Endgame next week.

This is just my take, but I think that is entirely intentional. Banner and Hulk go through a lot of development and changes over the course of the franchise. We first meet Banner in a hut in Nowhere, Jungle, scared to death of losing control and hurting people. He winds up a celebrity, having found peace between his Banner and Hulk personas, and is absolutely critical to the plan in Endgame. There are a ton of ups and downs along the way, and Banner/Hulk react and behave in a very believable manner.

I agree with you about Thor, mostly. He's always been what they wanted him to be, it's only after Waititi tapped into Hemsworth's natural comedic timing did we get the best version of Thor.

Nobeard on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Endgame is legitimately in the running for my Mount Rushmore of favorite movies. I fucking love that movie and I think it should honestly be considered for a best picture Oscar.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Finally saw FFH. It was fine. They did a good job with Mysterio and his whole "illusion and deceit, no magic, just skill and tech" deal. The scene where he clowns Spidey with illusions was really good.

• Options
    Marathon wrote: »
    Endgame is legitimately in the running for my Mount Rushmore of favorite movies. I fucking love that movie and I think it should honestly be considered for a best picture Oscar.

I don't know about that, but I could definitely see some best acting nods, though Brolin's time was easily Infinity War, not Endgame.

wVEsyIc.png
This discussion has been closed.