Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[MCU] Nevermind, just a case of the ol' ALF method.

14041424345

Posts

  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I care. I've always sat through the end credits. I like to hunt for funny names while they scroll by.

    camo_sig.png
    AthenorjdarksunLegacyDunderTomantaLocal H JayJayrichoTofystedethShadowfireTychoCelchuuuHeatwaveBobble
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    The credits for ILM and the like that have a population of a small town listed under them aren't that interesting, but the smaller shops that have a small handfull of people working for them are interesting because I wonder what weird specialized bit of stuff they were working on.

    Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    Shadowen
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I try to find the weirdest-sounding job and speculate about what it is.
    Also the best acting credit. There's almost always one, like 'Really Stupid Civilian Who Can't Get Out Of The Way'.

    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    TofystedethMoridin889
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Also, I miss when studios would intentionally fill the credits with jokes.

    Like Airplane! (Flying High for some international audiences). Best Boy, Worst Boy, Gaffer (What's a Gaffer?), et. Recipes for Nobby Buns. Etc.

    Makes people read the credits, just to see if there's a joke.

    FANTOMASFencingsaxSleepjdarksunLegacyjimb213Mild ConfusionCanadianWolverineShadowenRchanen
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Geddoe wrote: »
    Geddoe wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Deadpool 3 just needs to confirm all the retcons at the end of 2. And not screw it up after.

    "Wait. Didn't she die?"
    "Well, someone doesn't sit through the credits. Were you that eager to get out of the theatre, or do you just hate to see the names of the people who worked hard to entertain you? I mean, it's not like we made you sit through all the names to get to the good stuff, it was just the top names (plus Reynolds. That guy was really phoning it in)."

    I just wish this whole stinger after the credits or during the credits thing would die. I hate it so much. I'm already paying like 20 bucks for a movie ticket and 20 bucks for a small fountain pop and stale nachos. Just let me get on with my life.
    If you don't want to stay for the scene after the credits you can leave. The movie isn't holding you captive. I think it's nice that movies have found a good way to get people to watch the credits. In the olden days they'd just put the credits before the movie, which would force you to watch them. That was fine but it's also non-optional. At least this way is optional. All those people worked very hard on the movie, and they're not even forcing you to see their names. You can still get up and go after having seen most of the movie! I don't think it's a lot to ask to say that maybe people should be able to get their names in the credits in some way that at least some people will someday see.

    Nobody pays attention to the actual credits. The only reason is if you think you recognized some background actor and want to confirm it is him. Mostly it is just sitting there, staring at nothing/checking if your friends are leaving/gathering your trash until stuff starts happening.

    Yeah, you just chat with your friends or check your phone. Noone cares about the 30,000 people involved in the CGI.

    Funny that you say this, but a friend of mine has a sister who works in one of those CGI houses, and if he knows she worked on a given movie, he’ll stay just to find her and her team.

    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    SleepjdarksunToxjimb213BlackDragon480JayrichoMvrckTofystedethSnicketysnickFencingsaxCanadianWolverineShadowenInquisitor77Moridin889RchanenXaquin
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Also, I miss when studios would intentionally fill the credits with jokes.

    Like Airplane! (Flying High for some international audiences). Best Boy, Worst Boy, Gaffer (What's a Gaffer?), et. Recipes for Nobby Buns. Etc.

    Makes people read the credits, just to see if there's a joke.

    "If you had left this theatre when these credits began, you'd be home by now"

    sig.gif
    MorganVCommander ZoomJoolanderFencingsaxToxShadowenMoridin889Rchanen
  • jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    My favorite was the credits for the bit parts in Naked Gun. The “character names” were their single lines of dialogue, so you actually knew who was who. And it was fun being reminded of all the funny one-off lines!

    ForarMorganVFencingsaxCapt HowdyShadowenGnome-InterruptusMoridin889ZonugalRchanenBobble
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    Geddoe wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Deadpool 3 just needs to confirm all the retcons at the end of 2. And not screw it up after.

    "Wait. Didn't she die?"
    "Well, someone doesn't sit through the credits. Were you that eager to get out of the theatre, or do you just hate to see the names of the people who worked hard to entertain you? I mean, it's not like we made you sit through all the names to get to the good stuff, it was just the top names (plus Reynolds. That guy was really phoning it in)."

    I just wish this whole stinger after the credits or during the credits thing would die. I hate it so much. I'm already paying like 20 bucks for a movie ticket and 20 bucks for a small fountain pop and stale nachos. Just let me get on with my life.
    If you don't want to stay for the scene after the credits you can leave. The movie isn't holding you captive. I think it's nice that movies have found a good way to get people to watch the credits. In the olden days they'd just put the credits before the movie, which would force you to watch them. That was fine but it's also non-optional. At least this way is optional. All those people worked very hard on the movie, and they're not even forcing you to see their names. You can still get up and go after having seen most of the movie! I don't think it's a lot to ask to say that maybe people should be able to get their names in the credits in some way that at least some people will someday see.
    My dad always stays for the credits. Always. When I was a kid it used to annoy me, because I didn't see the point. Then one time we went to see a movie and the theater turned off the projector at the beginning of the credits and he complained to management about it (got free tickets from it). I asked why it was such a big deal to him. He said that 1, the theaters are required to show them as part of their contracts with the studios because 2, it's the equivalent of a curtain call in a play.

    As he'd been a professional in live theater his entire adult life, it suddenly made sense to me. So now I do it too, even if I admittedly only half pay attention.

    steam_sig.png
    jimb213CanadianWolverineShadowenGnome-InterruptusRchanenRhesus PositiveTheDrifterI Zimbra
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    The credits for Joker were old school. Instead of an army of CGI artists scrolling by, the names flashed up in blocks for a few seconds. It worked so well because so few people worked on the film.

    camo_sig.png
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited November 4
    klemming wrote: »
    I try to find the weirdest-sounding job and speculate about what it is.

    TOGSolid on
    ZMkKzv8.png
    CanadianWolverineXaquin
  • Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular

    MorganV wrote: »
    Also, I miss when studios would intentionally fill the credits with jokes.

    Like Airplane! (Flying High for some international audiences). Best Boy, Worst Boy, Gaffer (What's a Gaffer?), et. Recipes for Nobby Buns. Etc.

    Makes people read the credits, just to see if there's a joke.

    The Gaffer is the head Electrician on a production. They are in charge of lighting setup, specifically the physical location of Lights and the associated cables or other electrical devices. The term apparently comes from when they used a Gaff, basically a long pole with a hook, to move lighting around above a stage.

    Best Boy is the term for the Assistant to either the Gaffer or Grip. A grip being a different department involved with camera mounts.

    Worst Boy is a joke, They had Adolf Hitler named in Airplane for that "job"

    ForarjdarksunFencingsaxShadowenMild ConfusionRchanenRhesus Positive
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    This is a really good video as to what a Gaffer's job is with excellent examples of how movie lighting works:

    ZMkKzv8.png
    BlackDragon480
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning Registered User regular
    edited November 4
    Geddoe wrote: »
    Geddoe wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Deadpool 3 just needs to confirm all the retcons at the end of 2. And not screw it up after.

    "Wait. Didn't she die?"
    "Well, someone doesn't sit through the credits. Were you that eager to get out of the theatre, or do you just hate to see the names of the people who worked hard to entertain you? I mean, it's not like we made you sit through all the names to get to the good stuff, it was just the top names (plus Reynolds. That guy was really phoning it in)."

    I just wish this whole stinger after the credits or during the credits thing would die. I hate it so much. I'm already paying like 20 bucks for a movie ticket and 20 bucks for a small fountain pop and stale nachos. Just let me get on with my life.
    If you don't want to stay for the scene after the credits you can leave. The movie isn't holding you captive. I think it's nice that movies have found a good way to get people to watch the credits. In the olden days they'd just put the credits before the movie, which would force you to watch them. That was fine but it's also non-optional. At least this way is optional. All those people worked very hard on the movie, and they're not even forcing you to see their names. You can still get up and go after having seen most of the movie! I don't think it's a lot to ask to say that maybe people should be able to get their names in the credits in some way that at least some people will someday see.

    Nobody pays attention to the actual credits. The only reason is if you think you recognized some background actor and want to confirm it is him. Mostly it is just sitting there, staring at nothing/checking if your friends are leaving/gathering your trash until stuff starts happening enjoying the music.

    You philistines.

    Shadowen on
    Doctor Detroit
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I wonder how much legal and even cultural red tape there exists, because I'm curious if you could do the following:

    "For the credit list of everybody who worked on this feature presentation, please visit www.blahblahblah.com"

    Boom. Credits over in 10 seconds. Everybody gets official credit as it's still in print somewhere in the world. Anybody who actually cares can look it up themselves. For the other 90% of the population, they're not wasting time looking at information they couldn't care less about.

    I'm just wondering if and how this would be a "very bad thing" (which it might very well be). I'm actually remembering that apparently Lucas had to go through some ridiculous hoops and even pay fines because Star Wars bucked the trend and didn't have an opening cast list. Which at the time was a "very bad thing" but now is virtually the norm.

    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    PSN: TheWolfman64 3DS/Pokemon Y: 0774-4614-4065/NNID: the_wolfman64
  • reVersereVerse Registered User regular
    I wonder how much legal and even cultural red tape there exists, because I'm curious if you could do the following:

    "For the credit list of everybody who worked on this feature presentation, please visit www.blahblahblah.com"

    Boom. Credits over in 10 seconds. Everybody gets official credit as it's still in print somewhere in the world. Anybody who actually cares can look it up themselves. For the other 90% of the population, they're not wasting time looking at information they couldn't care less about.

    I'm just wondering if and how this would be a "very bad thing" (which it might very well be). I'm actually remembering that apparently Lucas had to go through some ridiculous hoops and even pay fines because Star Wars bucked the trend and didn't have an opening cast list. Which at the time was a "very bad thing" but now is virtually the norm.

    If the website goes down, so do the credits.

    As part of the movie, they're always there.

    Gnome-InterruptusCaptain CarrotStabbity StyleMoridin889jdarksunMvrckTOGSolidLegacyKayne Red RobeMild ConfusionHerrCronBlackDragon480N1tSt4lkerLinespider5
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Not quite. The practice was and is to begin with logos of the companies involved in making the film - direction, production, distribution, etc. Lucas wanted a cold open, and paid for the privilege. Star Wars continues to be an exception in this area.

  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus premium Registered User regular
    My understanding is that with opening credits it's either nothing at all or you have to credit everyone who operated on the film in [seemingly arbitrary but no doubt meticulously researched and painstakingly negotiated amount] capacity.

    dt3GeqU.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I wonder how much legal and even cultural red tape there exists, because I'm curious if you could do the following:

    "For the credit list of everybody who worked on this feature presentation, please visit www.blahblahblah.com"

    Boom. Credits over in 10 seconds. Everybody gets official credit as it's still in print somewhere in the world. Anybody who actually cares can look it up themselves. For the other 90% of the population, they're not wasting time looking at information they couldn't care less about.

    I'm just wondering if and how this would be a "very bad thing" (which it might very well be). I'm actually remembering that apparently Lucas had to go through some ridiculous hoops and even pay fines because Star Wars bucked the trend and didn't have an opening cast list. Which at the time was a "very bad thing" but now is virtually the norm.

    What would the benefit be? People leave during / after the 10 seconds, or they leave during / after the actual credits.

    Also, having a text link on the screen introduces issues with people miskeying the address, and malware / hacker hijacks of the sites.

    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I met a traveller from an antique land,
    Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
    Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,
    Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
    And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
    Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
    Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
    The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
    And on the pedestal, these words appear:
    My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
    Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
    The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

    Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind.
    LegacyBlackDragon480
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    jimb213 wrote: »
    My favorite was the credits for the bit parts in Naked Gun. The “character names” were their single lines of dialogue, so you actually knew who was who. And it was fun being reminded of all the funny one-off lines!

    Game instead of movie but the end credits for The Outer Worlds has a bunch of the developers' D&D characters that died during development of the game.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    FencingsaxForarGnome-InterruptustzeentchlingDarkPrimusBurnagejdarksunSleepRhesus PositiveFoolOnTheHillBlackDragon480Bobble
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    If you don't read the credits how will you know how many moose were involved or who has been sacked

    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    FencingsaxtzeentchlingsullijoTofystedethPailryderjdarksunShadowfireLegacyCapt HowdyFryBlackDragon480N1tSt4lkerEmperorSethBobble
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I wonder how much legal and even cultural red tape there exists, because I'm curious if you could do the following:

    "For the credit list of everybody who worked on this feature presentation, please visit www.blahblahblah.com"

    Boom. Credits over in 10 seconds. Everybody gets official credit as it's still in print somewhere in the world. Anybody who actually cares can look it up themselves. For the other 90% of the population, they're not wasting time looking at information they couldn't care less about.

    I'm just wondering if and how this would be a "very bad thing" (which it might very well be). I'm actually remembering that apparently Lucas had to go through some ridiculous hoops and even pay fines because Star Wars bucked the trend and didn't have an opening cast list. Which at the time was a "very bad thing" but now is virtually the norm.

    What would the benefit be? People leave during / after the 10 seconds, or they leave during / after the actual credits.

    Also, having a text link on the screen introduces issues with people miskeying the address, and malware / hacker hijacks of the sites.

    There's probably no real benefit, honestly. At the same time though, we have an existing culture of people not giving any shit over end credits, while also nurturing a growing culture of "forcing" people to sit through 5-10 minutes of worthless (to them anyways) junk just to see a final scene of the film. The latter of which I'm somewhat sympathetic towards. Seriously, what is the point of "tricking" people to sit through them? Plus it is somewhat disruptive to theaters and their workers, who would very much like it if people cleared out as fast as possible so they can clean up the pigsty that's been left and get the next showing playing.

    It's just a really weird phenomenon we have right now, and I don't know if there's any right answer. Virtually nobody cares at all about this 5 minutes of a black screen with scrolling text, despite the simple fact that the information being displayed is technically important.

    I guess the best case scenario would be to simply get rid of this stinger culture we've got going on. Barring that, I do actually like the style where there's a short style dynamic credits at the end that are at least entertaining to look at, then the stinger, and then the dull "black scrolling screen crediting all the peons" that you can walk out on.

    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    PSN: TheWolfman64 3DS/Pokemon Y: 0774-4614-4065/NNID: the_wolfman64
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    I wonder how much legal and even cultural red tape there exists, because I'm curious if you could do the following:

    "For the credit list of everybody who worked on this feature presentation, please visit www.blahblahblah.com"

    Boom. Credits over in 10 seconds. Everybody gets official credit as it's still in print somewhere in the world. Anybody who actually cares can look it up themselves. For the other 90% of the population, they're not wasting time looking at information they couldn't care less about.

    I'm just wondering if and how this would be a "very bad thing" (which it might very well be). I'm actually remembering that apparently Lucas had to go through some ridiculous hoops and even pay fines because Star Wars bucked the trend and didn't have an opening cast list. Which at the time was a "very bad thing" but now is virtually the norm.

    If the website goes down, so do the credits.

    As part of the movie, they're always there.

    Yeah, I don't know that we can guarantee a particular studio keeping an old movie website up for even five years. Maybe the big studios, or for big hits, but even then...

    LegacyKayne Red Robe
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited November 5
    The solution is mid-credits stingers; do your cast list/musical outro, then your stinger/teaser, then production credits. The modern practice of having the stinger after 5-10 minutes of obscure credits is foolish, especially now that everyone expects them and the new head fake is to not run one.

    Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    do you lack faith, brother?
    or do you believe?
    Legacy
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Or have cool outtakes, or "outtakes" like Pixar, scattered throughout.

    steam_sig.png
    Steam, Warframe: Megajoule
    RchanenShadowenjdarksunKayne Red RobeTofystedethToxBobble
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    If moviemakers really want me to hang around for the credits, all they have to do is put together an awesome credits sequence like Into the Spiderverse. The whole sequence is a blast and well worth watching on its own.

    McFodderLegacyjdarksunForarN1tSt4lkerWACriminalVisskar
  • McFodderMcFodder irregular 'SploringRegistered User regular
    edited November 5
    Yeah, I think that's a big part of why 'Elevate' is my favourite song on the soundtrack, despite it not being a style I'd normally go out of my way to listen to.

    That said, most of the (at least recent) MCU movies have had pretty cool sequences through the first bit of the credits.

    McFodder on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / NNID: Fodder185
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    The solution is mid-credits stingers; do your cast list/musical outro, then your stinger/teaser, then production credits. The modern practice of having the stinger after 5-10 minutes of obscure credits is foolish, especially now that everyone expects them and the new head fake is to not run one.

    That's pretty much what they do, though. The mid-credits stingers are the only ones you need to see to keep up with anything. Leave then and all you miss is an exhausted team eating schwarma, or Tony boring Bruce to sleep, or Captain America making fun of you for sitting in one place for 10 minutes thinking it might be worth it, you loser.

    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    DunderGnome-Interruptus
  • SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Scooter wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    I wonder how much legal and even cultural red tape there exists, because I'm curious if you could do the following:

    "For the credit list of everybody who worked on this feature presentation, please visit www.blahblahblah.com"

    Boom. Credits over in 10 seconds. Everybody gets official credit as it's still in print somewhere in the world. Anybody who actually cares can look it up themselves. For the other 90% of the population, they're not wasting time looking at information they couldn't care less about.

    I'm just wondering if and how this would be a "very bad thing" (which it might very well be). I'm actually remembering that apparently Lucas had to go through some ridiculous hoops and even pay fines because Star Wars bucked the trend and didn't have an opening cast list. Which at the time was a "very bad thing" but now is virtually the norm.

    If the website goes down, so do the credits.

    As part of the movie, they're always there.

    Yeah, I don't know that we can guarantee a particular studio keeping an old movie website up for even five years. Maybe the big studios, or for big hits, but even then...

    https://www.spacejam.com/

    Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    I wonder how much legal and even cultural red tape there exists, because I'm curious if you could do the following:

    "For the credit list of everybody who worked on this feature presentation, please visit www.blahblahblah.com"

    Boom. Credits over in 10 seconds. Everybody gets official credit as it's still in print somewhere in the world. Anybody who actually cares can look it up themselves. For the other 90% of the population, they're not wasting time looking at information they couldn't care less about.

    I'm just wondering if and how this would be a "very bad thing" (which it might very well be). I'm actually remembering that apparently Lucas had to go through some ridiculous hoops and even pay fines because Star Wars bucked the trend and didn't have an opening cast list. Which at the time was a "very bad thing" but now is virtually the norm.

    Probably a lot of red tape. Hollywood is immensely unionized, where most unionized industries have a union representing pretty much the whole range of associated workers, Hollywood has numerous different specialized unions each with their own requirements. You hear about the actors', writers', animators', and occasionally directors' unions, but there's also separate electrical, lighting, stage worker, cinematographer, editor, sound editor, composer, etc etc etc unions. The whole reason the credits are so long is because of this - everybody has a negotiated place in the credits and the number of jobs are inflated because the guy who plugs in the lights is in a different union from the guy who rigs them up.
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    My understanding is that with opening credits it's either nothing at all or you have to credit everyone who operated on the film in [seemingly arbitrary but no doubt meticulously researched and painstakingly negotiated amount] capacity.

    I don't think this is correct. Many movies that have opening credits have the major cast, director, producers, and that's about it. I don't think I've ever seen a movie where opening credits are more than like 5% of the closing credit scroll.

    MorganVCommander Zoom
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus premium Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    My understanding is that with opening credits it's either nothing at all or you have to credit everyone who operated on the film in [seemingly arbitrary but no doubt meticulously researched and painstakingly negotiated amount] capacity.

    I don't think this is correct. Many movies that have opening credits have the major cast, director, producers, and that's about it. I don't think I've ever seen a movie where opening credits are more than like 5% of the closing credit scroll.

    Yeah that's what I said.

    dt3GeqU.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Copied from the Movie thread:

    I really don't get the "Marvel action is mostly bland" opinion. Writing, themes, character development, I can kinda see that. I think it was Film Critic Hulk that showed me the flaws in Homecoming. But action? Nah. It's good stuff. There are so many moments where I'm squeeing in my head over what's happening onscreen. IM 1 kicked it off with the cave escape and it's been going strong ever since.

    The tram fight in Black Panther was ducking godawful but that's the only one that sticks out in my mind as truly bad.

    I'm not saying we are going to have an autocratic dystopia, but things keep happening that look like they come from an autocratic dystopia.
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    Copied from the Movie thread:

    I really don't get the "Marvel action is mostly bland" opinion. Writing, themes, character development, I can kinda see that. I think it was Film Critic Hulk that showed me the flaws in Homecoming. But action? Nah. It's good stuff. There are so many moments where I'm squeeing in my head over what's happening onscreen. IM 1 kicked it off with the cave escape and it's been going strong ever since.

    The tram fight in Black Panther was ducking godawful but that's the only one that sticks out in my mind as truly bad.

    That's because the overall argument is not really about Marvel movies. It's about industry consolidation by Disney and the effect is has had on mid-level productions. Marvel just got pulled into it by a famous director who also admitted that he hasn't actually watched the movies he's complaining about but decided to use them as a proxy for everything bad about modern Hollywood.

    Commander ZoomjdarksunShadowenGnome-Interruptus
  • NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    TIL that the action in Civil War was live.
    Car chase scene in the tunnel? Live
    Winter Soldier grabbing the motorcycle? LIVE (holy shit)
    Black Panther sliding down the side of the building? Live
    Captain America Running out of a car sliding sideways? Live.



    Holy shit you guys. I just ASSUMED it was CGI because how do you do that*


    *answer is with creative use of wires and those runway belt things like at an airport.

    PhillishereStabbity StyleFencingsaxJayrichojungleroomxMvrckjdarksunCommander ZoomShadowfireNobeardShadowenCanadianWolverineToxSpoitGnome-InterruptusLanlaorn
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx El Hopaness Rom Tic Registered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    TIL that the action in Civil War was live.
    Car chase scene in the tunnel? Live
    Winter Soldier grabbing the motorcycle? LIVE (holy shit)
    Black Panther sliding down the side of the building? Live
    Captain America Running out of a car sliding sideways? Live.



    Holy shit you guys. I just ASSUMED it was CGI because how do you do that*


    *answer is with creative use of wires and those runway belt things like at an airport.

    Corridor Crew SFX reaction vids?

    Love those guys.

    Make. Time.
    jdarksunDark Raven XCanadianWolverineToxMild Confusionjimb213tzeentchling
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    Copied from the Movie thread:

    I really don't get the "Marvel action is mostly bland" opinion. Writing, themes, character development, I can kinda see that. I think it was Film Critic Hulk that showed me the flaws in Homecoming. But action? Nah. It's good stuff. There are so many moments where I'm squeeing in my head over what's happening onscreen. IM 1 kicked it off with the cave escape and it's been going strong ever since.

    The tram fight in Black Panther was ducking godawful but that's the only one that sticks out in my mind as truly bad.

    That's because the overall argument is not really about Marvel movies. It's about industry consolidation by Disney and the effect is has had on mid-level productions. Marvel just got pulled into it by a famous director who also admitted that he hasn't actually watched the movies he's complaining about but decided to use them as a proxy for everything bad about modern Hollywood.

    I don't think that's what Nobeard is talking about.

    Marvel movies can have or not have bland action and that's an entirely separate issue from Disney's negative influence on the industry.

    NobeardFANTOMAS
  • NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    TIL that the action in Civil War was live.
    Car chase scene in the tunnel? Live
    Winter Soldier grabbing the motorcycle? LIVE (holy shit)
    Black Panther sliding down the side of the building? Live
    Captain America Running out of a car sliding sideways? Live.



    Holy shit you guys. I just ASSUMED it was CGI because how do you do that*


    *answer is with creative use of wires and those runway belt things like at an airport.

    Corridor Crew SFX reaction vids?

    Love those guys.

    HA! Yea! I had no idea these guys existed but now i'm all over their channel like a crazy person.

    jungleroomxjdarksun
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Marvel do their CGI very well but at some point it does take you out of the scene a bit. Like the final battle in endgame is great but on rewatch it’s hard to escape how little there is in the way of practical effects. In some ways the action in the early films is more fun for that reason (imo)

    NREqxl5.jpg
    do you lack faith, brother?
    or do you believe?
    Stabbity StyleFencingsaxOrca
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Warning: Mothership Reporting Richland, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, the pure CG fights can be kinda lame. I think the stuff I've enjoyed the most with CG throughout the series is when they lean into it and do something truly fantastical, like the Dr. Strange stuff or the Mysterio fights in Far From Home.

    SijLqhH.png
    Steam: stabbitystyle | uPlay: stabbitystyle | b.net: Stabbity#1528 | XBL: Stabbity Style | PSN: Stabbity_Style | Twitch: stabbitystyle
    TychoCelchuuuGnome-Interruptus
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Marvel do their CGI very well but at some point it does take you out of the scene a bit. Like the final battle in endgame is great but on rewatch it’s hard to escape how little there is in the way of practical effects. In some ways the action in the early films is more fun for that reason (imo)

    Like half the time I see people complain about this it turns out the effects were practical. Like, Drax running up, jumping on a dude and stabbing? The dude was a green puppet but other than that, practical. Cap jump-smashing Thanos? Cap was practical. The initial charge? Everyone on the hero side was there, charging. It's a mix in pretty much every shot.

    jdarksunCanadianWolverineRhesus Positivejimb213Mvrck
Sign In or Register to comment.