Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[MCU] Nevermind, just a case of the ol' ALF method.

1404142434446»

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus premium Registered User regular
    edited November 8
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Spiderverse 2?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited November 8
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Marvel do their CGI very well but at some point it does take you out of the scene a bit. Like the final battle in endgame is great but on rewatch it’s hard to escape how little there is in the way of practical effects. In some ways the action in the early films is more fun for that reason (imo)

Like half the time I see people complain about this it turns out the effects were practical. Like, Drax running up, jumping on a dude and stabbing? The dude was a green puppet but other than that, practical. Cap jump-smashing Thanos? Cap was practical. The initial charge? Everyone on the hero side was there, charging. It's a mix in pretty much every shot.

See also: The super fake looking pit trap in Fury Road was 99% practical with some post production clean up.

Historically, CGI has looked best when it's used sparingly, but for some reason the balance seems to be shifting the other way. CGI has mostly fixed the overly shiny surfaces and the lack of physical weight seen in almost everything ten years ago and our expectations are moving to account, so now that you can drop a CGI actor off a 30 story building and have him hit the pavement at terminal velocity, it's the real actor in a wire harness and frame speed manipulation that looks fake.

Hevach on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Spiderverse 2?

It was announced a few days ago and is still probably on the last page or two.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 8
    CGI is usually a case of money.

If you spend enough money on a shot, CG artists can take the time to make it look flawless. The problem is that these days you have 90 million CG shots in your dang flick, and are competing not only with a dozen other blockbusters from other companies, but likely a few from your own. (Black Panther suffered from being the middle child in the Ragnarok, Last Jedi, Infinity War spate of films IMO.)

Undead Scottsman on
    FencingsaxGnome-InterruptusOrca
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx El Hopaness Rom Tic Registered User regular

If you spend enough money on a shot, CG artists can take the time to make it look flawless. The problem is that these days you have 90 million CG shots in your dang flick, and are competing not only with a dozen other blockbusters from other companies, but likely a few from your own. (Black Panther suffered from being the middle child in the Ragnarok, Last Jedi, Infinity War spate of films IMO.)

For everything else wrong with the Transformers movies, the first films highway chase scene looked and moved photo real.

The design is awful, the action is kinda bad, but those effects (those 12 year old effects) look out fucking standing.

Make. Time.
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus premium Registered User regular

For everything else wrong with the Transformers movies, the first films highway chase scene looked and moved photo real.

The design is awful, the action is kinda bad, but those effects (those 12 year old effects) look out fucking standing.

All the non-Transformer vehicles and explosions are practical. That bus really got torn apart.

dt3GeqU.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
    jungleroomxjdarksunCanadianWolverineMoridin889
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

All the non-Transformer vehicles and explosions are practical. That bus really got torn apart.

Yeah, when you combine them it can help the immersion or completely destroy it.

The VFX team did an amazing job with the lighting and shadows in this scene. I consider it the first time I've seen CGI and could not tell it was CGI, despite *knowing* it was.

Make. Time.
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    There are plenty of other shots in the TF movies that look like they included the work-in-progress.

jungleroomxFencingsax
    There are plenty of other shots in the TF movies that look like they included the work-in-progress.

Hence my cherry pick of that scene.

Make. Time.
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Oh, today and tomorrow Spidey: FFH is $9 at Target. Early Black Friday deal.