As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MCU] Nevermind, just a case of the ol' ALF method.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    Yeah I found Doctor Strange's arc to be a bit bog standard - even if you were unfamiliar with the character (as I was), you knew what was going to happen for the first half of the movie. I would've strongly considered going the Spider-Man route and just skipping how he got his powers in the first place, or referring to it when necessary in flashbacks, rather than having it play out as-is.

They've explicitly said in the past that they were going to avoid doing bog standard origin stories where possible, but this being the movie that cemented magic into the MCU, they chose to go that path as a way of not just bringing Strange up to speed, but general audiences who might not only be unfamiliar with the character, but how magic works in Marvel (and given that it's not necessarily identical in the MCU to the comics, bringing even existing fans up to speed as well).

I agree with making recaps and new character introductions as painless as possible, but I think they went into Dr Strange with that approach for the right reasons, even if it didn't fit for everyone.

I feel like they should do a Family Feud-style survey for characters to see if people know their origins. If enough people just instantly respond "Oh he was bitten by a spider and got powers", you cut that shit out of the movie.
    I mean, there are probably tribes in the amazon that have no contact with the outside world for decades who know that Bruce Waynes parents were killed in a slow motion alley.

But if the most popular response is "Who? Is he a surgeon or something?", you have some educating to do.

And with Strange in particular, it's nice to see him go from 'barely able to conjure a weapon he uses like a wet towel' to 'going one-on-one with Thanos (and losing, but it was still awesome)'.

Best bit of Strange character development was in Ragnarok when Thor visits.

That was the first time we saw him post-Doctor Strange, right? You get to see him settled into his role for the first time. It was great.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Lol at the beginning of the Morbius trailer

"From the studio that brought you Spider Man: Homecoming and Spider Man: Far From Home."

Uh-huh. Okay Sony.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Morbius trailer just hit. Make sure you watch through the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eQBl3_6FKA

I'm a bit conflicted. I think it's a cool character but, I'm not sure anyone was clamoring for him to get a movie. Jared Leto seems to want redemption for nerds hating his Joker, so it feels like he's doing this so he can still be an edgelord, just a Vampire one instead of a Juggalo one.

If anything, it's interesting they're allowed to reference MCU stuff (but yeah that poster of Spidey is very clearly the Raimi suit? Maybe Sony wasn't allowed to use the Holland Suit? I'm confused. And scared. And if this is any indication, Carnage is gonna be PG-13.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I don't think that's an MCU movie?

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular

Are you sure?

Did you watch to the end?

There's a poster that shows up with someone we know and the word "murderer" graffitied on it.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Watch the trailer through the end. It's ... complicated. The Sonyverse is MCU adjacent, Spider-man can come and go as he pleases and the Sonyverse can reference stuff that happens in the MCU. But right now it's unlikely that we'll see any of the other Sonyverse characters in the MCU.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    It's like, the Marvel and Sony universes are neighbors, and Marvel has a nice fence made out of all the money, and for Spidey to swing across the fence he needs An Inter-dimensional Universe Passport. And then, Venom tried to walk into the MCU's backyard but was tackled for lack of money- I mean Passport!

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Likely a different character and a shared actor.

Tom Holland had talks of a cameo in Venom, but was told he couldn't be Peter Parker, Spider-Man, or mistaken for either. Sony can put a Spider-Man in them, but Holland has said he got word straight from Keven Feige that his contract means it cant be him.

The Sony non-MCU movies have (and probably only can) referenced the MCU in the same oblique way that Deadpool did, totally not at all and you can't prove anything but look at all the fans high fiving for getting the reference.

They might have strove to maintain the illusion that they're MCU adjacent, but Marvel has been pretty unambiguous about it.
    https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/tom-holland-venom-mcu-happening/amp/

Hevach on
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Hevach wrote: »
    Likely a different character and a shared actor.

Tom Holland had talks of a cameo in Venom, but was told he couldn't be Peter Parker, Spider-Man, or mistaken for either. Sony can put a Spider-Man in them, but Holland has said he got word straight from Keven Feige that his contract means it cant be him.

The Sony non-MCU movies have (and probably only can) referenced the MCU in the same oblique way that Deadpool did, totally not at all and you can't prove anything but look at all the fans high fiving for getting the reference.

I think this was the case before the Spidey drama, but Feige has since said Holland Spider-Man can be in both universes. And it seems Sony films can nod towards events of MCU Spidey films.

The article you linked is from 3 years ago

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    My brain hurts. Just use the same cinematic universe.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    My brain hurts. Just use the same cinematic universe.

But then they'll get money in addition to us, and we deserve all the money!

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

They might have strove to maintain the illusion that they're MCU adjacent, but Marvel has been pretty unambiguous about it.
    https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/tom-holland-venom-mcu-happening/amp/
    Just fyi, that website is a garbage site that posts clickbait / lies constantly. Someone did a review of their 2019 and something like only 1.2% of their "scoops" were accurate.

As for this trailer, not only is that Raimi's suit, but it's also a direct scan of it from the PS4 game.

Also, given how bad Sony is with trailers, it would not surprise me at all if the end of that trailer is after credits. It's definitely after the halfway point at the very least.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Oh the reveal shot of Morbius' face is absolutely the last shot of the movie

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I just want a new M&M song. "That's an awfully hot plasma pot, should I drop it on Peter Parker probably not."

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular

Most likely, but I actually meant "Vulture" if that's him. He's already addressing Morbius as if Morbs was a bad guy.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Bizazedo wrote: »

Most likely, but I actually meant "Vulture" if that's him. He's already addressing Morbius as if Morbs was a bad guy.

Oh true. Could this be Sony's Sinister Sixiverse coming to fruition?

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    It was the first one on Google of dozens, many of which were in the last couple iterations of this thread.

Here's a more recent one, that acknowledges they may not be able to stop Sony from using Spidey (very specifically ignored that the question was about Tom Holland and not just Spider-man, which could go either way), but that this stuff very specifically isn't MCU.

https://mcucosmic.com/2019/09/27/kevin-feige-hints-that-spider-man-could-appear-in-sonys-sumc/

Sony's now apparently calling it a "shared detail universe," in terms of their referencing based on quotes in a Deadline story from last month - none of the MCU stuff is happening or will be directly seen in their universe, but off-screen things are happening that when loosely referenced will sound awfully familiar so viewers can feel at home (and presumably lawyers can actually stay at home). So still the same game they were playing with Venom.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Did you miss the part where the bad guy from MCU film Spider-Man Homecoming is in this Sony made, spider-adjacent movie?

None of the sites you're linking are very reputable. It's the kind of stuff the rises through the Google algorithm based on traffic and title alone.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    But how will people know that Morbius is a vampire if he doesn't have "bloodsucker" tattooed to his forehead?

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Lol at the beginning of the Morbius trailer

"From the studio that brought you Spider Man: Homecoming and Spider Man: Far From Home."

Uh-huh. Okay Sony.

Should have been Spiderverse up there if they really wanted to sell it.

But anyhow, this guy is some kind of a vampire, right? But not a classical one with magic and dark powers, but more along the lines of comic book science to explain it?

Seems like a lot of work just to have a “realistic” version of a vampire IMO.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    And will this guy's vampirism be legally distinct from Blade and co.?

Fry on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Yeah, I can imagine Marvel is just thrilled to have Sony's off brand marvel vampire hit theaters before they bring back Blade.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Yeah, I can imagine Marvel is just thrilled to have Sony's off brand marvel vampire hit theaters before they bring back Blade.

By the time Blade comes out, nobody will remember this movie.

• Options
    Fry wrote: »
    And will this guy's vampirism be legally distinct from Blade and co.?

It looked like science gives dude bat powers.

So basically Spider-Man, but with bats. The guy even has his own version of the Peter tingle.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options

I’ll reserve judgment until I watch it.

That said, the only part of that trailer I got excited about was when Batman Vulture shows up. Which I guess is pretty bad for my hype.

Hey, Batman is in a story about a bat man! Meta

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

That said, the only part of that trailer I got excited about was when Batman Vulture shows up. Which I guess is pretty bad for my hype.

That was more of a "Blade is not coming out for AWHILE" comment.

• Options

That was more of a "Blade is not coming out for AWHILE" comment.

My bad.

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular

I hope not.

But i thought that about Venom and here we are, like a billion dollars later.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Blade dealing with morbius is classic. I'd be down for a movie with blade trying to take down morbius while figuring out he's not a real vampire and can help him with the actual vampire conspiracy problem. I'd watch that movie so long as there's at least one blood rave.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Blade dealing with morbius is classic. I'd be down for a movie with blade trying to take down morbius while figuring out he's not a real vampire and can help him with the actual vampire conspiracy problem. I'd watch that movie so long as there's at least one blood rave.

I'd trade the blood rave for an orgy turned feeding frenzy

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    You gotta have at least one blood rave before you die.

Possibly to vampires, but the risk is still worth it!

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    Sleep wrote: »

I'd trade the blood rave for an orgy turned feeding frenzy

Nah the only thing i'm looking at on a blade movie other than kubaton fight choreography is sound track, and it better have some rave beats throughout it.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    So that Spider-Man poster in the background in that trailer?

It’s using the Raimi suit

Also
    Michael Keaton
    appears to be working at the hospital. So I doubt it’s his same character

Joolander on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that's a post-credits scene. I'll believe it when they actually announce a real crossover film.

• Options
    Joolander wrote: »
    So that Spider-Man poster in the background in that trailer?

It’s using the Raimi suit

Also
    Michael Keaton
    appears to be working at the hospital. So I doubt it’s his same character

Raimi suit's been covered, for some reason they used a render of the suit from the PS4 game

I don't think they would show Keaton if it wasn't the same character from Homecoming, like why even bother

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I don't think they would show Keaton if it wasn't the same character from Homecoming, like why even bother

To coast on the reflected glory of the biggest movie franchise ever?

That pretty much seems to be Sony Pictures entire business plan at this point.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

Are you sure?

Did you watch to the end?

There's a poster that shows up with someone we know and the word "murderer" graffitied on it.

I didn't see that?

• Options
    If Sony actually does get a Spidey cameo, I doubt they waste it on Morbius. He'd probably show up in Venom 2.

Not saying anything is set in stone but I think if Disney gets a bigger cut of the films going forward, I can see why they'd let them play with some of the shared toys, such as Keaton's character and other characters Sony probably gets first dibs on.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    If Sony actually does get a Spidey cameo, I doubt they waste it on Morbius. He'd probably show up in Venom 2.

Not saying anything is set in stone but I think if Disney gets a bigger cut of the films going forward, I can see why they'd let them play with some of the shared toys, such as Keaton's character and other characters Sony probably gets first dibs on.

Has there been any talk about Venom (the movie, not the character) being redone/director's cutted? I was only half interested in the movie when it was announced, and when Tom Hardy mentioned that the studio had stripped the good parts out, my remaining interest drained, and so I haven't watched it yet.

This discussion has been closed.