As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Immigration Policy - ICE still the worst, acting in open defiance of orders given.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Do you think they went straight into the trash after the photo was taken?

We can only hope.

The goya was probably thrown out as well.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Bolstered by the recent immigration decisions of the Supreme Court, the Trump administration calls in the large bullshit cannons to assist with their next assault.

Axios wrote:
    NEW: Trump and top White House officials are privately considering a controversial strategy to act without legal authority to enact new federal policies — starting with immigration, administration officials tell Axios.

tl;dr -- John Yoo, yes, the same John Yoo who authored Bush 2's legal authority memo for enhanced torture techniques used by the CIA in various cirucmstances is back to help sling more shit for GOP assholes. This time he's turning his fine tuned lawyer mind onto the immigration roadmap provided by the Robert's court to do what they haven't been able to do thus far, legally. Further speculation has lead many to consider that the administration is looking for extra-legal means to carry out Trump's will since he's been stymied by the courts and the legislative logjam in Congress.

ed:Look brain, being phonetic at the weirdest times is really getting tired.

Martini_Philosopher on
    All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Yoo, not Woo. John Woo is a director.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Yoo, not Woo. John Woo is a director.

But are you sure they aren't going to ban all immigration while jumping sideways with two guns while doves fly behind them though?

shryke on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I don’t really understand this...

The article by Yoo is basically saying that the president could use prosecutorial discretion to loosen enforcement of a law, and the next president would have to do due diligence to start enforcing the law fully again.

And... So?

It seems to only apply to making the law more lax, so I don’t really see how its that useful. Like Trump could make concealed carry or marijuana or whatever de facto legal on a federal level and a Biden administration would have to spend a couple of months doing an impact statement or due dillegence report on enforcing them again...

So?

He already basically has the ability to ignore the law at will unless someone votes him out or gets 67 senators on board to replace him.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I don’t really understand this...

The article by Yoo is basically saying that the president could use prosecutorial discretion to loosen enforcement of a law, and the next president would have to do due diligence to start enforcing the law fully again.

And... So?

It seems to only apply to making the law more lax, so I don’t really see how its that useful. Like Trump could make concealed carry or marijuana or whatever de facto legal on a federal level and a Biden administration would have to spend a couple of months doing an impact statement or due dillegence report on enforcing them again...

So?

He already basically has the ability to ignore the law at will unless someone votes him out or gets 67 senators on board to replace him.

I believe that the point is that he'd do things like making randomly kidnapping brown people and burning their wallets de facto legal on a federal level.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Apparently also going to use this line of thinking to kill the ACA

Somehow?

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

We can only hope.

No, they need the goya for their taco salads.
    How else are they going to properly celebrate Cinco de Mayo?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Here we go again! Via Reuters reporter:
    President Donald Trump plans to sign an executive order on Tuesday that aims to prevent migrants who are in the United States illegally from being counted when U.S. congressional voting districts are redrawn in the next round of redistricting
    This is illegal. The 14th amendment requires counting everyone, regardless of status.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    How... how would they even get those numbers? The census didn't ask about your immigration status.

Like just straight pull them out of their asses? Take some spurious estimate and just subtract it from population totals?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    This is illegal. The 14th amendment requires counting everyone, regardless of status.

I'm not sure "legality" really figures large when Trump's admin is planning it's performative asshattery.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Aioua wrote: »
    How... how would they even get those numbers? The census didn't ask about your immigration status.

Like just straight pull them out of their asses? Take some spurious estimate and just subtract it from population totals?

It was so weird how the population of California was 10 after the 2020 census.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

He's into performative gestures. They either have no plan for this and are just doing it for the sake of signing something, or they have something sinister and fucked up and racist planned in the name of enforcing the EO.

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

We can only hope.

They probably actually celebrate Cuatro de Mayo...

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Hydropolo wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »

We can only hope.

They probably actually celebrate Cuatro de Mayo...

More like ‘Cilantro and Mayonnaise’

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

He's into performative gestures. They either have no plan for this and are just doing it for the sake of signing something, or they have something sinister and fucked up and racist planned in the name of enforcing the EO.

When are the new districts redrawn? I thought it wasn't until after the election? So, unless it's within the almost three months that Trump is an even lamer duck, being an EO makes it easier to rescind?

Guess I'm just confused about how the timing of this works.

Or is Trump just setting up his "If I win in November, this sets it up so that I can be President for life, or at worst, cement a Republican replacement that will make sure not to prosecute the fuck out of me in 2024"?

Just don't see where the short term benefit is to Trump, and he doesn't have the foresight to think beyond himself or the immediacy of a situation. Or is this someone else pulling the strings?

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    MorganV wrote: »

When are the new districts redrawn? I thought it wasn't until after the election? So, unless it's within the almost three months that Trump is an even lamer duck, being an EO makes it easier to rescind?

Or is Trump just setting up his "If I win in November, this sets it up so that I can be President for life, or at worst, cement a Republican replacement that will make sure not to prosecute the fuck out of me in 2024"?

Just don't see where the short term benefit is to Trump, and he doesn't have the foresight to think beyond himself or the immediacy of a situation. Or is this someone else pulling the strings?

It’s super racist and super-obviously racist. Basically screaming at both his base and any Republican with political aspirations that if they keep him in office those nasty brown people and those awful liberals won’t get to vote anymore.

Taramoor on
  • Options

Districts are drawn after the election, but the census is supposed to be done by the end of the year and that determines apportionment.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

Canadian court rules that America is no longer Safe for non-Americans, making the Safe Third Country Agreement unconstitutional.

Twitter belongs to Political Analyst for Global News Canada
    JUST IN: The Safe Third Country Agreement was just ruled unconstitutional, with a Federal Court judge saying the U.S. is no longer a safe country for refugees sent back from Canada due to the risk of imprisonment.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    The House just passed this
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/5581/text

requiring that immigrants and generally anyone subject to extended search by the border asshats is required to have access to a lawyer. (yes, this is not currently a thing. Two guesses why, first doesn't count, starts with r)

• Options
    How big is the hopper for next February at this point?

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

Canadian court rules that America is no longer Safe for non-Americans, making the Safe Third Country Agreement unconstitutional.

Twitter belongs to Political Analyst for Global News Canada
    JUST IN: The Safe Third Country Agreement was just ruled unconstitutional, with a Federal Court judge saying the U.S. is no longer a safe country for refugees sent back from Canada due to the risk of imprisonment.

I mean... they're not wrong.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

Will all these house bills need to be reintroduced individually, or can they vote on a measure to reapprove them en masse?

• Options

Will all these house bills need to be reintroduced individually, or can they vote on a measure to reapprove them en masse?

Individually.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Yikes.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Yikes.

It's not quite that bad, if Democrats win House/Senate/Presidency.

A good number of the people returning to the House will be incumbents. And the House is sworn in at the start of January, and the President is on January 20th.

So, Pelosi just has to give the House a heads up, that starting on the 21st, she plans on voting on these specific bills, and if you're a freshman, that's what you need to read up on.

If they're on top of things, the House should be able to have any number of bills passed and sent to the Senate (where it'll slow down some), but should be able to have Biden start signing by the end of the month.

This isn't shit being made out of whole cloth (like that disasterous fucking budget bill, with scribbles in the margins). This is shit that's been ironed out, and was sent to the Senate, and only McConnell's fuckery has stopped it from being voted on.

As long as it's a literal carbon copy, with just the filing details (dates, HR number, possibly some cosponsors added or changed), then there's no reason it can't be fast tracked.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Yikes.

It's not quite that bad, if Democrats win House/Senate/Presidency.

A good number of the people returning to the House will be incumbents. And the House is sworn in at the start of January, and the President is on January 20th.

So, Pelosi just has to give the House a heads up, that starting on the 21st, she plans on voting on these specific bills, and if you're a freshman, that's what you need to read up on.

If they're on top of things, the House should be able to have any number of bills passed and sent to the Senate (where it'll slow down some), but should be able to have Biden start signing by the end of the month.

This isn't shit being made out of whole cloth (like that disasterous fucking budget bill, with scribbles in the margins). This is shit that's been ironed out, and was sent to the Senate, and only McConnell's fuckery has stopped it from being voted on.

As long as it's a literal carbon copy, with just the filing details (dates, HR number, possibly some cosponsors added or changed), then there's no reason it can't be fast tracked.

Plus anything that isn't a spending bill could alternatively be introduced in the Senate first. So some of those expired bills can be introduced to the Senate first by senators, who can fuck with it and amend it, and send it "back" to the House (for the first time) for them to reconsider it and it'll still be relatively fast tracked since incumbents will only really need to care about the changes

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    E: tweet with video was deleted. Might have been something from back in January.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    There's non-verifiable sources so far claiming that Hurricane Hanna has blown down portions of Trump's stupid border wall. I'm waiting on something official to come up before I share the video that's claimed to be it but hot diggity goddamn it makes my Hispanic heart leap for joy that Trump's shoddy construction ability is possibly on full display.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's what I posted - supposed video of it, but the video got deleted.

Speculation was that it might have been a section in California which was blown over in high wind in January, which... You know, still funny, but not news.

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »

Speculation was that it might have been a section in California which was blown over in high wind in January, which... You know, still funny, but not news.

I also saw an Arizona section during one of their rare monsoons.

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »

I have a vague memory of that happening. Was it really in January? Jesus this year is way too long.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    CBP (for what their word is worth) says it was a fence portion in New Mexico that blew down in June.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Whatever the source it’s not a great look for the wall to be toppled with relative ease by some wind. The PEOPLE standing in close proximity have better structural integrity than the wall

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Whatever the source it’s not a great look for the wall to be toppled with relative ease by some wind. The PEOPLE standing in close proximity have better structural integrity than the wall

More importantly, less surface area.
    Even with slats, a wall makes an excellent sail.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    If the dumb wall falls over on the Mexico side they should take it for scrap metal and send the Trump admin a disposal bill.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    If the dumb wall falls over on the Mexico side they should take it for scrap metal and send the Trump admin a disposal bill.

I think that was one of the extra stupider things about the wall. They were going to build it well back from the border, so the USA was effectively losing usable territory as part of the whole thing.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

I think that was one of the extra stupider things about the wall. They were going to build it well back from the border, so the USA was effectively losing usable territory as part of the whole thing.

Nah, that's just responsible future-proofing. If you're still planning on putting the moat in later, you need to save room for it now.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    rndmhero wrote: »

Nah, that's just responsible future-proofing. If you're still planning on putting the moat in later, you need to save room for it now.

God I forgot about the entire moat+alligators thing

• Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    rndmhero wrote: »

God I forgot about the entire moat+alligators thing

You're thinking of the Toy "Castle Greyskull" of He-man fame, that one came with a slime moat and alligators.
    This is a 3000 miles long borderwall, a moat would just be silly, and no-one would dig one.
    In fact, it's probably cheaper to just conquer your way down to the Panama Canal then it is to build a river spanning an entire continent.

Dibbit on
This discussion has been closed.