As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Immigration Policy - ICE still the worst, acting in open defiance of orders given.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    The kids in Milwaukee are all right:

NPR is a news agency, Andrew Fleischman is a defense lawyer.

Needless to say, Milwaukee Republicans are up in arms over this.

the poor snowflakes

In more ways than one.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    https://apnews.com/b44559a135654616aa0e69a3ec7d2339

Ripped a 7 year old from his father and he was sexually abused in foster care. USA USA USA!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Ripped a 7 year old from his father and he was sexually abused in foster care. USA USA USA!

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/2019/08/15/ms-ice-raids-breastfeeding-mom-taken-4-month-old-baby-koch-foods-morton-deportation-detainees/2002278001/

Because of course they would. Cruelty is the point.

Abolish ICE. Burn it down. Salt the earth. Jail time where it can be managed. And never allow any of these fuckers to work in law enforcement or government employ again.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/2019/08/15/ms-ice-raids-breastfeeding-mom-taken-4-month-old-baby-koch-foods-morton-deportation-detainees/2002278001/

Because of course they would. Cruelty is the point.

Abolish ICE. Burn it down. Salt the earth. Jail time where it can be managed. And never allow any of these fuckers to work in law enforcement or government employ again.

Honestly, ICE agents are the kind of person deportation is actually appropriate for.

Deportation to the sun, even.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I couldn't take reading that whole article. Was the company fined?

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

No, because white supremacists don't care about illegal immigration.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

The companies that hire illegals are not fined by design.

You’d think that conservatives would come down hard on companies hiring illegal immigrants if they cared so much about the issue, but what actually happens is that these companies really, really enjoy their borderline slave labor. So eventually some of their undocumented workers start doing things like complaining for being overworked (cause they are) and then sooner or later they literally can no longer physically do the work.

So what happens is ICE raids and deports those people. The company is not fined. There is a line of fresh undocumented workers around the block desperate for work. And now the company has a fresh bodies to abuse.

This is done on purpose.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

You’d think that conservatives would come down hard on companies hiring illegal immigrants if they cared so much about the issue, but what actually happens is that these companies really, really enjoy their borderline slave labor. So eventually some of their undocumented workers start doing things like complaining for being overworked (cause they are) and then sooner or later they literally can no longer physically do the work.

So what happens is ICE raids and deports those people. The company is not fined. There is a line of fresh undocumented workers around the block desperate for work. And now the company has a fresh bodies to abuse.

This is done on purpose.

Farmers calling immigration on workers they haven’t paid yet to save the cash is an age old practice. From the sounds of it, the corporations are getting in on that action now.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019

America doesnt care once you are deemed a criminal. This isn't just a white supremacist thing, yes it is a major a part of it, but the rot goes much deeper than that.

Edit: stupid old drafts

Veevee on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Veevee wrote: »
    There was also a drop in arrests at the border in July compared to June, which the administration claimed was because of their policies.

There has been a drop like that in 17 of the last 20 years.

America doesnt care once you are deemed a criminal. This isn't just a white supremacist thing, yes it is a major a part of it, but the rot goes much deeper than that.

It's basically weaponized intersectionality.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    "Only European immigrants shouldn't be treated like shit, everyone else can go fuck themselves." Yeah we get it Trump administration.

If they actually *did* let Europeans immigrate freely, they'd find that American racists are quite capable of hating the lily-white. I know this because one of the main causes of Brexit was British people (lily white) hating Polish (lily white) immigrants.

Does nobody remember the hate for the (Germans/Irish/Polish/Italians/...) in decades past?

It's a lot more nuanced than that. For the Irish immigrant populations, many of them pre Civil War, many Irish immigrants broke into politics following the ACW and started the foundations of or broke into machine politics in places like Chicago and had outsize political influence. It has been a few months since I did this specific historical research for work, but IIRC in Chicago the Irish immigrant population post ACW was only in the single digit percentage but controlled multiple city council seats and other government jobs and elected positions.

Prior to WWI and WWII there were many German enclaves in the US in which German was the primarily spoken language both in public and private life. The hate directed at German immigrant and second etc. generation German communities was based almost entirely on the wars with public hanging campaigns, the elimination of German language instruction in schools, and effectively forced English education and social ostracization of German language use in public spaces. The WWI and WWII response to the German community was so quick, strong, and long lasting that there wasn't a German-American Caucus in the Congress until the 112th Congress in 2011 while every one of the other prominent immigrant population groups have had relatively extensive political organization and lobbying since the early 20th Century.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

This is done on purpose.

that is exactly the opposite of how e-verify is supposed to work...

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    "Only European immigrants shouldn't be treated like shit, everyone else can go fuck themselves." Yeah we get it Trump administration.

If they actually *did* let Europeans immigrate freely, they'd find that American racists are quite capable of hating the lily-white. I know this because one of the main causes of Brexit was British people (lily white) hating Polish (lily white) immigrants.

Does nobody remember the hate for the (Germans/Irish/Polish/Italians/...) in decades past?

It's a lot more nuanced than that. For the Irish immigrant populations, many of them pre Civil War, many Irish immigrants broke into politics following the ACW and started the foundations of or broke into machine politics in places like Chicago and had outsize political influence. It has been a few months since I did this specific historical research for work, but IIRC in Chicago the Irish immigrant population post ACW was only in the single digit percentage but controlled multiple city council seats and other government jobs and elected positions.

Prior to WWI and WWII there were many German enclaves in the US in which German was the primarily spoken language both in public and private life. The hate directed at German immigrant and second etc. generation German communities was based almost entirely on the wars with public hanging campaigns, the elimination of German language instruction in schools, and effectively forced English education and social ostracization of German language use in public spaces. The WWI and WWII response to the German community was so quick, strong, and long lasting that there wasn't a German-American Caucus in the Congress until the 112th Congress in 2011 while every one of the other prominent immigrant population groups have had relatively extensive political organization and lobbying since the early 20th Century.

The historical context is great and all but I fail to see how this counters the original point?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    KetBra wrote: »

The historical context is great and all but I fail to see how this counters the original point?

The point is that the narrative gets simplified to "as immigrants trudged off the boats they were universally beaten, robbed, and indentured by those who preceded them". Which waves away all the actual history. Because it makes an emotionally powerful talking point that could be politically undermined by pointing out that the worst cases weren't universal or that some of the policies implemented to do things like break up Italian ethnic enclaves in NYC were relatively complex because they were part of city planning. It isn't as concise a point to say "Well actually ACW service allowed both Irish and Jewish immigrant populations (interestingly one of the oldest ACW veteran organizations was a Jewish ACW veteran group) which existed prior to the ACW to become legitimate political actors, German populations were persecuted because we were at war with their home country (which isn't talked about as often as Japanese internment camps if at all outside of specific research or German communities) and then no one really talked about it even though at one time Germany and German culture were seen as the culture to be emulated in American high society, and Italian immigrant ethnic enclaves were broken up by zoning policies".

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    "because they were part of city planning" isn't a get out of jail free card. City plans "just happen" to break up minority and poor neighborhoods a lot more often. "Just happen".

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    "because they were part of city planning" isn't a get out of jail free card. City plans "just happen" to break up minority and poor neighborhoods a lot more often. "Just happen".

Can you quote where I wrote this?

• Options

Because it makes an emotionally powerful talking point that could be politically undermined by pointing out that..some of the policies implemented to do things like break up Italian ethnic enclaves in NYC were relatively complex because they were part of city planning.

I mean that certainly reads like excusing it to me.

• Options
    edited August 2019

Because it makes an emotionally powerful talking point that could be politically undermined by pointing out that..some of the policies implemented to do things like break up Italian ethnic enclaves in NYC were relatively complex because they were part of city planning.

No, it's pointing out that actually injecting historical detail has the potential to politically (as in, voters will care less) undermine the emotionally strong talking point. You latched onto a single example that is still really simplified because the history of immigration in the US is very nuanced and complex, including the single example which is still simplified but less so than the talking point I responded to.

What your posts read as to me is another case of the constant assumption here that anyone who doesn't just pop a little agree under emotionally powerful and simplistic talking points must be excusing whatever thing you don't like ergo let's sling accusations around.

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

This is done on purpose.

My fiancee found out when she did her taxes that she'd been working under the wrong SSN for nearly a year, because she wrote it down wrong.
    Same thing happened to me for my first job way back when.

They collect all this citizenship information when you start a job but it doesn't go anywhere, there's no proactive enforcement. It would be trivial to set up with our current technology but they won't. It's not actually about preventing people from doing work.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019

No, it's pointing out that actually injecting historical detail has the potential to politically (as in, voters will care less) undermine the emotionally strong talking point. You latched onto a single example that is still really simplified because the history of immigration in the US is very nuanced and complex, including the single example which is still simplified but less so than the talking point I responded to.

What your posts read as to me is another case of the constant assumption here that anyone who doesn't just pop a little agree under emotionally powerful and simplistic talking points must be excusing whatever thing you don't like ergo let's sling accusations around.

Your added context does not show in any way that Americans were not persecuting the Germans, Irish, Polish, or Italians at various points in American history. In fact, it shows it wasn't reversed until those groups gained a level of political power (or were so completely broken apart so they no longer formed a cohesive political group)

Are you also forgetting about various pograms associated with the Chinese Exclusion Act, and the internment of Japanese Americans?

We have a long and storied history of persecution of national and ethnic immigrant groups here in America. Just because there are groups we are no longer actively oppressing doesn't mean it didn't happen in the past.

edit: or present.

Orca on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    You know who was a big admirer of US race laws and history of race policy in the 1930s?

A certain Mr A. Hitler.

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    You know who was a big admirer of US race laws and history of race policy in the 1930s?

A certain Mr A. Hitler.

He was also really fond of the way we turned Western expansion and native genocide into a fun adventure story and thought it a great idea to do the same to Russia.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

I'm sure they'll be fined right around the time ICE finds its way to Trumps businesses for all the undocumented employees that it is widely known he uses.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

A certain Mr A. Hitler.

He was also really fond of the way we turned Western expansion and native genocide into a fun adventure story and thought it a great idea to do the same to Russia.

Manifest Lebensraum, young man!

Course Barbarossa was also connected to the Final Solution, in the fact he felt Soviet Socialism/Satlinism was the end result of Jewish political experimentation and which he typically referred to as Judeo Bolshevism in his speeches.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

This is done on purpose.

My fiancee found out when she did her taxes that she'd been working under the wrong SSN for nearly a year, because she wrote it down wrong.
    Same thing happened to me for my first job way back when.

They collect all this citizenship information when you start a job but it doesn't go anywhere, there's no proactive enforcement. It would be trivial to set up with our current technology but they won't. It's not actually about preventing people from doing work.

I can promise you that there are ways around e-verify. It's a dirty, dirty secret.

• Options

A certain Mr A. Hitler.

Manifest Lebensraum, young man!

Course Barbarossa was also connected to the Final Solution, in the fact he felt Soviet Socialism/Satlinism was the end result of Jewish political experimentation and which he typically referred to as Judeo Bolshevism in his speeches.

There’s plenty of Final Solution rhetoric from American politicians and military leaders during the native genocide. It is pretty amazing what people will say publicly when everyone around them agrees that a group of people aren’t really human.

• Options

Your added context does not show in any way that Americans were not persecuting the Germans, Irish, Polish, or Italians at various points in American history. In fact, it shows it wasn't reversed until those groups gained a level of political power (or were so completely broken apart so they no longer formed a cohesive political group)

Are you also forgetting about various pograms associated with the Chinese Exclusion Act, and the internment of Japanese Americans?

We have a long and storied history of persecution of national and ethnic immigrant groups here in America. Just because there are groups we are no longer actively oppressing doesn't mean it didn't happen in the past.

edit: or present.

Did you even read my post? I literally used the word persecute.

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Trump now seeking to change the Flores settlement and keep children detained (with or without families) indefinitely, because jesus fucking christ of course he is:
    The Trump administration on Wednesday announced plans that could hold undocumented families detained together indefinitely, replacing the agreement that set a 20-day limit for holding children.

Under what is known as the Flores settlement, the government is required to release a minor from a non-licensed facility as expeditiously as possible, which has been set at 20 days.

The proposal would give the government new licensing authority, allowing the use of either a state license or Immigration and Customs Enforcement detention standards, according to a DHS official, meaning families can be kept longer than 20 days.

The regulation is certain to face legal challenges and must also be examined by the judge who oversees the Flores settlement. It will take effect 60 days after it is formally published later this week.

Link: https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/21/politics/immigration-family-detention-flores/index.html

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    Our country just continues to become ever more monstrous by the week/day. This needs to be blocked by any means necessary.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Alexandier wrote: »
    Our country just continues to become ever more monstrous by the week/day. This needs to be blocked by any means necessary.

There are few means to block it. Basically the courts is it afaik.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The thing that's upsetting is when you think about a change in administration, it doesn't fix the problem of racism going on with all this. A lot of people get involved in customs / border law enforcement because they want to be cruel toward people they consider lesser.

This is gonna take generations to fix. The more immediate thing that'd help is if left-wing people got involved in this kind of work, and more importantly, got in charge of it. Just apply direct accountability of it.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »
    Alexandier wrote: »

There are few means to block it. Basically the courts is it afaik.

Flores is a settlement that resulted from the US being sued. As far as I can tell breaking it just results in that suit continuing. Assuming they even can.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The CBP has stated they are not vaccinating migrants held in detention centers for the flu, nor do they have any intention of doing so.

Of the six children who died in CBP custody, three of them died, at least in part, due to having influenza.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Ladai wrote: »
    Trump now seeking to change the Flores settlement and keep children detained (with or without families) indefinitely, because jesus fucking christ of course he is:
    The Trump administration on Wednesday announced plans that could hold undocumented families detained together indefinitely, replacing the agreement that set a 20-day limit for holding children.

Under what is known as the Flores settlement, the government is required to release a minor from a non-licensed facility as expeditiously as possible, which has been set at 20 days.

The proposal would give the government new licensing authority, allowing the use of either a state license or Immigration and Customs Enforcement detention standards, according to a DHS official, meaning families can be kept longer than 20 days.

The regulation is certain to face legal challenges and must also be examined by the judge who oversees the Flores settlement. It will take effect 60 days after it is formally published later this week.

Link: https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/21/politics/immigration-family-detention-flores/index.html

So

concentration camps

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    That's not even the worst part of it.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/458149-migrants-in-us-border-detention-centers-wont-receive-flu-vaccine
    U.S. immigration authorities do not vaccinate migrants in custody against the flu virus, and Customs and Border Protection (CBP) does not have any plans to do so ahead of the upcoming flu season.

“In general, due to the short term nature of CBP holding and the complexities of operating vaccination programs, neither CBP nor its medical contractors administer vaccinations to those in our custody,” an agency spokeswoman told The Hill in an emailed statement.

I don't even really have any words to describe how pissed off this makes me. We already know that the conditions they're holding these children in are deplorable, dirty, disgusting, unhygienic, and fucking monstrous to say the least.

When flu season rolls around there are going to be alot of dead children.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Ah yes, the “Let’s purposely cause a plague among immigrants to both kill them and prove Trump’s racist rhetoric,” plot.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Plagues don't stop at Fucking fences. This is cruel and abhorrent but it's also stupid as Fuck.
    This won't just affect the people you put in cages you idiots.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Plagues don't stop at Fucking fences. This is cruel and abhorrent but it's also stupid as Fuck.
    This won't just affect the people you put in cages you idiots.

But when the newspapers start saying "The measles outbreak that killed 6 children in Albuquerque started in a nearby immigrant detention camp", people don't start saying "Let's improve healthcare in the camps", they say "Get these filthy diseased immigrants out of our country!"

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    The Spanish Mexican Flu, right on time for the centennial.

This discussion has been closed.