As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ps2 Surround Sound?

SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGamingRegistered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
So here's the setup. Z-5500 5.1 surround sound system, and a 37 inch HDTV. I can plug my PS2 in via component, but I have no idea how I can plug my PS2 into the surround system. Or the Wii for that matter. I can get the 360 plugged in, but it's dead at the moment. So to watch DVDs in their full glory, till my 360 gets back from it's fixin' trip, what's my best option?

SniperGuy on

• Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The new PS2s have optical audio ports on them..

Do you have one of those?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I am retarded and didn't realize the PS2 has an optical out. *facepalm*

SniperGuy on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You need a optical cable and hook it up to your receiver. Assuming the receiver haves a optical input. To get surround sound in game you'll have to use Pro Logic....which sucks compare to Dolby Digital.

Casually Hardcore on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You need a optical cable and hook it up to your receiver. Assuming the receiver haves a optical input. To get surround sound in game you'll have to use Pro Logic....which sucks compare to Dolby Digital.
    What about DVDs?

SniperGuy on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    DVDs is played in Dolby Digital goodness.

Casually Hardcore on
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Depends on the game. Most games use DPLII in-game, but then some also use DD5.1 in cut-scenes, and the occasional game can even support DD5.1 in-game. Somehow the SSX games (or at least Tricky) support DTS, which is just mind-blowingly awesome.

The DVD player supports stereo, DD5.1, and DTS. There may be some settings you have to change in bios (make sure the optical port is turned on) and in the DVD player program (hit select, go to settings, make sure it's set to do surround through the optical). Instructions here: http://www.cnet.com.au/games/hardware/0,239029706,240056087,00.htm

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • VicissitudeVicissitude Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    The new PS2s have optical audio ports on them..

Do you have one of those?

All PS2s have this. I had my launch PS2 hooked up that way.

Vicissitude on
  • TSRTSR Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I cannot for the life of me get my old-style PS2 to play DTS when it's available on movie DVDs (my PS2 is currently my DVD player, until I get a better one.)

Does anyone know how to do this? I switched DTS on in the PS2 setup, but it won't let me select the option from the DVD menu once a movie starts playing.

TSR on