As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My first Wii game!

TimFijiTimFiji Beast LordHalfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
So I really only have Wii Sports and Wii Play now and am in the market for a new game.

Zelda is possible but I already beat it (though on the gamecube and in french)

Is Red Steel any good or can you suggest a better FPS?

I'm looking mainly for more of a "real" game and not minigames as fun as Warioware and Mario PArty (will be) are.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
    Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    TimFiji on

• Options
      AggroChanAggroChan __BANNED USERS regular
      edited May 2007
      Try Sonic Godfather, or SSX Blur.
      All are worthy of a try but I suggest rentals to see if the games are "for you".

AggroChan on
      PSN + Zune :>
      Sillender.jpgSillender.png
    • Options
      Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
      edited May 2007
      Go with Super Paper Mario.

Speed Racer on
    • Options
      4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
      edited May 2007
      Super Paper Mario is hella fun.

4rch3nemy on
    • Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      edited May 2007
      I heard that. Is it like previous PAper Mario?

TimFiji on
      • Options
        PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
        edited May 2007
        I think you're missing the fact that SPM is not out in Europe, and this guy is in France.
        Personally I really like Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2, but maybe you won't if you're not a fan of DBZ.

Peewi on
      • Options
        DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
        edited May 2007
        It's like Zelda 2, but with more adventurey puzzles. It's got old-school 2D platforming (but with RPG stats underneath it all), RPG stuff (towns, shops, plot, etc), and the sense of humor of the other Paper Mario games.

DeathPrawn on
        Signature not found.
      • Options
        NorayNoray Registered User regular
        edited May 2007
        You already played Zelda, and you live in Europe... you're shit outta luck.

Noray on
      • Options
        AggroChanAggroChan __BANNED USERS regular
        edited May 2007
        Oh snap, I forgot about SPM.
        Get that.
        It's like an RPG mixed with a platformer. It's not full RPG like previous PMs but RPG elements such as leveling up and damage numbers and hit points are still there.
        Plus you can change the world from 2-D to 3-D.
        That should be enough on it's own.
        EDIT- If SPM isn't available in your country, go back to my above post.

AggroChan on
        PSN + Zune :>
        Sillender.jpgSillender.png
      • Options
        edited May 2007
        Not in France, I just moved back...

TimFiji on
        • Options
          SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
          edited May 2007
          Is ExciteTruck out there? Get it if you like arcade racers at all.

SageinaRage on
          sig.gif
        • Options
          TayaTaya Registered User regular
          edited May 2007
          I'll throw in another recommendation for DBZ: Tenkaichi 2 which has a huge single player mode and is really fun.

What about Trauma Center or Sonic?

Taya on
        • Options
          ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
          edited May 2007
          AggroChan wrote: »
          All are worthy of a try but I suggest rentals to see if the games are "for you".

Ssssh, Sega will hear you.

Æthelred on
          pokes: 1505 8032 8399
        • Options
          AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
          edited May 2007

What the hell is Sonic Godfather?

:P

AbsoluteZero on
          cs6f034fsffl.jpg
        • Options
          edited May 2007
          I was gonna rent Trauma Center. I have it for the DS and it is really fun. It different or remake or both?

TimFiji on
          • Options
            RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
            edited May 2007
            Super Paper Mario was a lot of fun at first, but I found it got old pretty quick. On the other hand, my experience with Sonic has been the exact opposite: it started out a bit frustrating but got more and more enjoyable the longer I played it.

EDIT: Trauma Center for the Wii rocks. It's a remake of the DS game. You get better visuals, better music, more levels, additional difficulty levels, and more plot. The new levels are really well done (often more enjoyable than the levels in the original game) and I enjoyed the new plot additions. I also think the game controls substantially better with the Wii remote than it did with the stylus. All in all, I'd say it's one of the few must-have titles for the Wii, regardless of if you've played the DS version or not.

RainbowDespair on
          • Options
            GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
            edited May 2007
            EDIT: Ignore that, brain fart. I think i'm going crazy.

I've found Red Steel a bit flaky tbh, i'll be selling that shortly.

Rayman is fantastic fun, but some of the games are just annoying. Especially where you have to essentially wave the wiimote about as if you're wanking off a giraffe.

GrimReaper on
            PSN | Steam
            ---
            I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
          • Options
            FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
            edited May 2007
            TimFiji wrote: »
            I was gonna rent Trauma Center. I have it for the DS and it is really fun. It different or remake or both?

It's a remake of the DS game (same story) but with some new missions and some improvements here and there.

Fireflash on
            PSN: PatParadize
            Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
            Steam Friend code: 45386507
          • Options
            KiwistrikeKiwistrike Registered User regular
            edited May 2007
            Super Paper Mario is the first paper mario game I didnt finish or love.

Its poorly made when compared to the other two, although it has a lot of great ideas. Its like the team got so caught up with their great concepts that they forgot how to implement them in a quality game.

Kiwistrike on
          • Options
            OmegaVelocityOmegaVelocity Registered User regular
            edited May 2007
            I would recommend Sonic above all else, with WarioWare coming into a close second.

EDIT: I guess you don't want minigame collections? In that case, Trauma Center is pretty decent.

OmegaVelocity on
          • Options
            ArugulaZArugulaZ Registered User regular
            edited May 2007
            Dude, Elebits! It ain't brimming with depth but it makes outstanding use of the Wiimote, and is fun just to mess around with even if you're not playing to make progress. It's Hide and Seek meets Ghostbusters meets Home Alone meets Katamari Damacy, if such a combination can be imagined.

ArugulaZ on
            JR

Same old site, great new look! Check out The Gameroom Blitz at:
            http://www.lakupo.com/grblitz
          • Options
            Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
            edited May 2007
            Kiwistrike wrote: »
            Super Paper Mario is the first paper mario game I didnt finish or love.

Its poorly made when compared to the other two, although it has a lot of great ideas. Its like the team got so caught up with their great concepts that they forgot how to implement them in a quality game.

Ahahahahahaha

Ha.

Speed Racer on
          • Options
            NickleNickle Registered User regular
            edited May 2007
            I'll throw out the niche games with Elebits and Marble Mania. They aren't super long (which is really, to me, their only faults) but if you're into that kinda thing, they're awesome. Plus I've said it before, and I'll say it again, everyone should buy Marble Mania, so I'll get a sequel with more than 50 levels.

The best uses of the Wii remote yet, if you ask me. And I'll assume you did, thank you.

Nickle on
            Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
          • Options
            Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
            edited May 2007
            Super Paper Mario all the way, don't listen to the haters. It's an awesome game.

Big Dookie on
            Steam | Twitch
            Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
          • Options
            Zeeb!Zeeb! Registered User regular
            edited May 2007
            Really, you should just buy WarioWare.

I know, I know.

But you should.

Zeeb! on
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
          • Options
            PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
            edited May 2007
            Big Dookie wrote: »
            Super Paper Mario all the way, don't listen to the haters. It's an awesome game.

But noone knows when it's out in Europe. The only bad thing I can say about it.

Peewi on
          • Options
            Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
            edited May 2007
            Peewi wrote: »

But noone knows when it's out in Europe. The only bad thing I can say about it.
            TimFiji wrote: »
            Not in France, I just moved back...

Big Dookie on
            Steam | Twitch
            Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
          • Options
            AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
            edited May 2007

What the hell is Sonic Godfather?

:P

It's when a hedgehog makes you an offer you can't refuse.

AngelHedgie on
            XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
          • Options
            DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
            edited May 2007
            I'll throw in another recommendation for Trauma Center. It's fun and wiimote-tastic.

Darlan on
          • Options
            ArugulaZArugulaZ Registered User regular
            edited May 2007
            I wish Sonic would just make a GAME I can't refuse.

ArugulaZ on
            JR

Same old site, great new look! Check out The Gameroom Blitz at:
            http://www.lakupo.com/grblitz
          • Options
            bruinbruin Registered User regular
            edited May 2007
            Zeeb! wrote: »

I know, I know.

But you should.

bruin on
          • Options
            Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
            edited May 2007
            Wait... you were going to rent Trauma Centre, in England?

IT'S OUT?

Mr_Grinch on
            Steam: Sir_Grinch
            PSN: SirGrinchX
            Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
          • Options
            JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
            edited May 2007

Renting games for a Nintendo system? Places still do that?

Jandaru on
            0ijlzpptari2.png
          • Options
            MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
            edited May 2007
            I just recieved Sonic as well as Super Paper Mario for my BDay, I HIGHLY recommend either of those games, I couldn't stop playing the hell out of them yesterday. :D

Masume on
            3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
            Wii U - 'Nocero'
            XBox ID - therealmasume
            PS4 ID - realmasume
          • Options
            RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
            edited May 2007
            Jandaru wrote: »

All of the rental places I've been to recently have a Wii section. That's where I rented Red Steel (got bored after an hour or two), Trauma Center (exceptionally good, need to buy sometime), and Rayman (pretty fun, might pick up when it hits the bargain bins).

RainbowDespair on
          • Options
            Lave IILave II Registered User regular
            edited May 2007
            Red Steel to me is hampered by it's inability to save which check points you got too (unless I'm missing something? Please tell me I am).

It's fun enough game - it's just hard for me to get the 60-120 mins free it might take me to get all the way through a level. Which makes me hardly ever play it.

Excite Truck is MASSIVELY underated. I admit I'm not the kind of guy who like PG or Forza or GT. But I love games like Outrun 2 and Burnout and Mario Kart.

ET is a really really entertaining one player hi-score game. I put about 20 hrs into it, and I've yet to S-rank Super excite truck mode which unlocks mirror mode. And I've not really touched Challenge mode.

YMMV but if you've any old fashioned gamer in you - you'll love it.

Lave II on
          • Options
            JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
            edited May 2007
            Jandaru wrote: »

All of the rental places I've been to recently have a Wii section. That's where I rented Red Steel (got bored after an hour or two), Trauma Center (exceptionally good, need to buy sometime), and Rayman (pretty fun, might pick up when it hits the bargain bins).

I was mostly being a dick about Nintendo's representation in New Zealand. We haven't had Nintendo games in rental shops since the Gamecube launch titles. I guess they weren't making any money from a public who though Gamecube was "that one what used gameboys for memory cards, didn't that go under a before the PS2 was even out?" or bugging the clerk to see the stash of PS9 games he must be hiding out the back...

Shit, it was hard enough finding Gamecube games for sale for most of that console's lifespan...

Jandaru on
            0ijlzpptari2.png
          • Options
            BantryBantry Registered User regular
            edited May 2007
            Excite truck.

The multiplayer's a bit lacking in options, but that doesn't stop it from being an absolute blast.

Plus it's cheap now.

Bantry on
          • Options
            4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
            edited May 2007

I know, I know.

But you should.

Rent it first.. I've heard nothing but good things, but I didn't enjoy it. Admittedly, I was excited to do multiplayer with some friends, but you have to go through single player first as a sort of "tutorial" or some stupid shit. The game itself is quite fun, and funny, but fuck the whole "play alone or one at a time before you can play together" bullshit that nintendo thought would be a great idea.

4rch3nemy on
          • Options
            SploozooSploozoo Grillaface Richmond VARegistered User regular
            edited May 2007
            4rch3nemy wrote: »

I know, I know.

But you should.

Rent it first.. I've heard nothing but good things, but I didn't enjoy it. Admittedly, I was excited to do multiplayer with some friends, but you have to go through single player first as a sort of "tutorial" or some stupid shit. The game itself is quite fun, and funny, but fuck the whole "play alone or one at a time before you can play together" bullshit that nintendo thought would be a great idea.

Dude you don't know how to share? I had great fun beating all the levels the first time through with my friends. Then once multiplayer was unlocked we all had some experience and it was really good competition. I was surprised multi wasn't unlocked from the get go but I don't think it detracted at all from the fun factor.

Sploozoo on
            Mnemonic anamnesis.

aka Grillaface
          • Options
            mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
            edited May 2007

I've been "stuck" on the last level for about 2 weeks, not wanting to play it because then the game will end.

That and the last level took me well over an hour and I haven't had enough contiguous free time to do something that long.

EDIT: also, I recommend Excite Truck and Sonic and the Secret Rings.

mausmalone on
            266.jpg