As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jeffrey Epstein Co-Conspirator Ghislaine Maxwell Finally Convicted

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Apparently Maxwell was pulling a Whitey Bulger:

Adam Parkhomenko is a Democratic consultant.

How is it that the Daily Mail can find her, but not the FBI?

They pay better and have better contacts and frankly ignore the law sometimes to get a scoop.

If Ms Maxwell is in the USA, the authorities should charge her with *something* so they can take her passport before she decides to take a trip to France. But I doubt they will. Because whatever she can say will not be something that they want to hear. It's easier on everyone if she moves in next door to Roman Polanski.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/janelytvynenko/fdny-review-jeffrey-epstein-4chan-post

Epstein’s death was leaked on 4chan by someone in the correctional facility prior to its public announcement
    “[D]ont ask me how I know, but Epstein died an hour ago from hanging, cardiac arrest. Screencap this,” read the post, which was published at 8:16 a.m. alongside an image of Pepe, the green frog that has become a mascot for right-wing internet trolls.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/janelytvynenko/fdny-review-jeffrey-epstein-4chan-post

Epstein’s death was leaked on 4chan by someone in the correctional facility prior to its public announcement
    “[D]ont ask me how I know, but Epstein died an hour ago from hanging, cardiac arrest. Screencap this,” read the post, which was published at 8:16 a.m. alongside an image of Pepe, the green frog that has become a mascot for right-wing internet trolls.

Yeah, thats not new. Nor is it inherently nefarious.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

Probably violates some rule somewhere but it's not like his death was posted before he actually died.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

Especially since news agencies tend to want confirmation of something like that before they publish it, while 4chan... doesn't.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    And because reality doesn't have to make sense, we have this:

Ben Jacobs is a reporter.

It feels like he's just taunting us now.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular

She's completely and utterly right, but I'm worried that there's too much inertia to make the corrections that she says.

People like Epstein, Weinstein, Nassar, and Kavanaugh have money and social power, their victims intentionally do not. And there are too many people who really don't care enough about the root problems to address them.

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular

What in the nine bloody blue hells was this ever supposed to be about?

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

"If I did it in Biblical times"

• Options

It looks like some sort of improvised drama thing. Presumably a fundraiser for the synagogue?

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Dershowitz really really wants to go to prison and now that Epstein got whacked he has to step it up.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    I mean I guess that's an interesting datum, bit it doesn't inform us one way or the other.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I mean I guess that's an interesting datum, bit it doesn't inform us one way or the other.

Precisely. It doesn't actually determine anything, just flames the conspiracy talk.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    I fully believe a conspiracy is possible and that it wouldn't take much to enact, but there's too much plausible deniability to really prove.

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Let's assume I'm running a shadowy cabal that wants Epstein dead. Also, I want it declared a suicide, instead of "shot while escaping" or the like.

Can I send in an assassin? No; Hitman 47 is fictional, and jails have security cameras.
    Can I pay a guard to do it? No; too many ways for that to go wrong, and then things go very bad for me. (Guard goes to authorities, Epstein fights back and wins, Epstein fights back and loses but leaves a mess, inmate next door overhears, guard talks afterwards, etc. Also, guards can't be assumed to be experts on assassinations.)
    I'm basically just stuck making it easy for him to commit suicide.
    What that leaves as a conspiracy is that I pay the guard to do their job poorly for a few weeks, or pay the supervisor to overwork the relevant guards. (But not by too much, or it won't look realistic. Also, I still need to worry about the guard/supervisor blabbing. Running a shadowy cabal is hard.)

Most of the conspiracy-supporting news bits are in support of someone going in and murdering Epstein, and I just can't see that as a reasonable course of action. One fuck-up, and suddenly my shadowy cabal is on the evening news and the FBI wants a word with me. Even bribing someone to do their job poorly for a while has a bunch of ways to go wrong, and people will be investigating this death closely.

So, no. I don't see any way that this was a conspiracy, unless you want to count the American criminal justice system as one.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Paying off some financially needy guard is pretty fuckin realistic tbh

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Apparently Maxwell was pulling a Whitey Bulger:

Adam Parkhomenko is a Democratic consultant.

How is it that the Daily Mail can find her, but not the FBI?

They pay better and have better contacts and frankly ignore the law sometimes to get a scoop.

If Ms Maxwell is in the USA, the authorities should charge her with *something* so they can take her passport before she decides to take a trip to France. But I doubt they will. Because whatever she can say will not be something that they want to hear. It's easier on everyone if she moves in next door to Roman Polanski.

France might not be that safe for her.
    https://hollywoodreporter.com/news/france-investigating-jeffrey-epstein-ties-1231122

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i imagine a lot of the people who work in the new york justice system are already fairly corrupt. ideally you'd be working with established relationships, you wouldn't just be going in completely blind and throwing money around to random guards

was there something about the camera in the cell supposedly malfunctioning? or did i make that up

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

Its also an easy sell to someone who wants to take the money : he's a bad guy who the world will be better off without, you don't have to do anything just let him do the last useful thing he wants to. Bette for everyone really.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Kamar on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    People do actually keep secrets. People do actually participate in corruption. People do actually conspire. More commonly, people simply nudge things in the right direction.

We should not *assume* this was anything corrupt, but we should investigate as appropriate.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Let's assume I'm running a shadowy cabal that wants Epstein dead. Also, I want it declared a suicide, instead of "shot while escaping" or the like.

Can I send in an assassin? No; Hitman 47 is fictional, and jails have security cameras.
    Can I pay a guard to do it? No; too many ways for that to go wrong, and then things go very bad for me. (Guard goes to authorities, Epstein fights back and wins, Epstein fights back and loses but leaves a mess, inmate next door overhears, guard talks afterwards, etc. Also, guards can't be assumed to be experts on assassinations.)
    What that leaves as a conspiracy is that I pay the guard to do their job poorly for a few weeks, or pay the supervisor to overwork the relevant guards. (But not by too much, or it won't look realistic. Also, I still need to worry about the guard/supervisor blabbing. Running a shadowy cabal is hard.)

Most of the conspiracy-supporting news bits are in support of someone going in and murdering Epstein, and I just can't see that as a reasonable course of action. One fuck-up, and suddenly my shadowy cabal is on the evening news and the FBI wants a word with me. Even bribing someone to do their job poorly for a while has a bunch of ways to go wrong, and people will be investigating this death closely.

So, no. I don't see any way that this was a conspiracy, unless you want to count the American criminal justice system as one.

even the kind of "reasonable" (heaviest possible air quotes) conspiracy that involves guards being bribed to let epstein kill himself still presupposes some wealthy person with like, a rolodex of prison staff and knowledge of who would be on duty at what times. Even if you assume there's some administrator who can finesse the schedule or whatever without being noticed, you'd still have no guarantee that epstein would try to off himself that particular night and time.

it's far more plausible that the system is just generally negligent; so much so that if this were anyone but epstein it would barely be remarked upon

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

It looks like some sort of improvised drama thing. Presumably a fundraiser for the synagogue?

Probably. I can’t imagine “what Joseph’s bros did was ok” being the final message, because its presented as a pretty shit thing to have done in the Bible.

• Options
    edited August 2019

even the kind of "reasonable" (heaviest possible air quotes) conspiracy that involves guards being bribed to let epstein kill himself still presupposes some wealthy person with like, a rolodex of prison staff and knowledge of who would be on duty at what times. Even if you assume there's some administrator who can finesse the schedule or whatever without being noticed, you'd still have no guarantee that epstein would try to off himself that particular night and time.

it's far more plausible that the system is just generally negligent; so much so that if this were anyone but epstein it would barely be remarked upon

I mean, this is the same system where a guy who was supposed to be released was left to starve to death and only checked on when the smell hit the front offices.

Prosecutors have a history of wanting defendants alive because to them it's more about the next defendant or conspirators, prosecutors have stats like baseball players and any chance to pad them.

But police and prison guards have quite a history of, "lol he ded," being as good as a guilty verdict, they don't really deal in the outcomes.

I think it's more than a little squicky that so many people will go to bat when a rich white guy has died because of this system when its been a meat grinder for the poor and minorities for all of living memory.

Hevach on
  • Options
    I do not see how Epstein’s enemies could have got an assassin into a locked cell where he was alone. When mob assassinations happen in prison it’s usually another prisoner who does it, and he was alone in protective custody.

The first time he tried to kill himself he had a huge psycho brute of a cell mate who claimed to have saved him but could just as easily been the one who roughed him up as a warning. But this time he had no cell mate.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

I mean, this is the same system where a guy who was supposed to be released was left to starve to death and only checked on when the smell hit the front offices.

Prosecutors have a history of wanting defendants alive because to them it's more about the next defendant or conspirators, prosecutors have stats like baseball players and any chance to pad them.

But police and prison guards have quite a history of, "lol he ded," being as good as a guilty verdict, they don't really deal in the outcomes.

I think it's more than a little squicky that so many people will go to bat when a rich white guy has died because of this system when its been a meat grinder for the poor and minorities for all of living memory.

Different system. MCC's are Federal Bureau of Prisons, Riker's is NYC-DOC.

• Options

You think people are up in arms about the Epstein thing because it’s an outrage that a rich white man was treated that way? LOL, no. It’s a mix between conspiracy theories and anger that he will never face justice.

• Options
    That can be said about multiple other deaths just this year. Thousands of deaths if you want to go back far enough in time. Child predators, drug dealers, murderers, innocents alike, from the days when being Irish was enough to when being Black was enough. Hell, even being white isn't all that unique, the only thing unusual about Epstein is that he's rich.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    That can be said about multiple other deaths just this year. Thousands of deaths if you want to go back far enough in time. Child predators, drug dealers, murderers, innocents alike, from the days when being Irish was enough to when being Black was enough. Hell, even being white isn't all that unique, the only thing unusual about Epstein is that he's rich.

The only thing unusual about him was that his conviction held the possibility of bringing other rich and powerful people down with him.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

You think people are up in arms about the Epstein thing because it’s an outrage that a rich white man was treated that way? LOL, no. It’s a mix between conspiracy theories and anger that he will never face justice.

Plus all the people who might not face justice because he can't name names.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Thawmus wrote: »

The only thing unusual about him was that his conviction held the possibility of bringing other rich and powerful people down with him.

Yeah, if he'd hanged himself in shame after giving sworn testimony against all his co-conspiritors, no-one would have cared very much.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Literally how most of the contraband is smuggled into the prison.

"We'll pay you 300 bucks to bring a carton of smokes in and give it to "Jimmy the Murderer.""
    And it's not long before going from that which would just get you fired to
    1500 bucks to bring in a package (which has H in it)
    Maybe turn off a camera or two for a bit

For someone making 28k a year that kind of money is reeeal tempting.

zepherin on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

Yeah, if he'd hanged himself in shame after giving sworn testimony against all his co-conspiritors, no-one would have cared very much.

I would have

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

I would have
    I here what you are saying, but he is a convicted child molester, and he had a mountain of damning evidence against him.

I would trade him for a dog.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

It would not be hard to have a private investigator determine staffing schedules at a federal building.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »

I would have
    I here what you are saying, but he is a convicted child molester, and he had a mountain of damning evidence against him.

I would trade him for a dog.

I don't care about him per se

I care about justice

and he evaded justice not once, but twice

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Still very speculative, but WaPo and other outlets are reporting that aspects of Epstein’s autopsy are more common in homicides by strangulation, though not inconsistent with suicide by hanging. Specifically certain broken bones.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/autopsy-finds-broken-bones-in-jeffrey-epsteins-neck-deepening-questions-around-his-death/2019/08/14/d09ac934-bdd9-11e9-b873-63ace636af08_story.html
    An autopsy found that financier Jeffrey Epstein suffered multiple breaks in his neck bones, according to two people familiar with the findings, deepening the mystery about the circumstances around his death.

Among the bones broken in Epstein’s neck was the hyoid bone, which in men is near the Adam’s apple. Such breaks can occur in those who hang themselves, particularly if they are older, according to forensics experts and studies on the subject. But they are more common in victims of homicide by strangulation, the experts said.

Edit: And I hate playing online forensics, so I’m mostly noting this, not attempting to start armchair autopsy-ing.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I think if we are entertaining the notion that Epstein was murdered by strangulation we also need to entertain the notion that a murderer was summoned to do it because unless you just have very fortuitously hired a murderer as a prison guard I don't think you could pay a regular person enough money to do a strangle murder on a full grown man that is not a minor proposition that is a proposition fraught with peril of many sorts