As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WOW] Patch 8.2.5, shorter version: J. Allen Brack is a big Meanie

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
  • Options
    Coconut MonkeyCoconut Monkey Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    This group was a mishmash of decent players, returning players who hadn't played since Uldir/release, fresh 120s, and everything else.
    This, along with (I assume) majority voice chat participation, is already a huge leg up on 95% of PUG raids.

Yeeeah 99% of our voice chat was memes and people giving other people shit.
    I have to figure Blizzard intended for this limited time event raid to be beatable by random groups.

Definitely. I wasn't here for the MC anniversary thing but it sounded like a massive clusterfuck that they no doubt wanted to avoid a repeat of.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

I wonder if this is just to incentivize more people to try and get these feats, or if the execution of the new affix, and its potential to effectively act as an invis pot/rogue shroud is going to make hitting the times more difficult than previous seasons, and thus felt they had to increase the reward as appropriate.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Nah, they've been talking about wanting to have seasonal rewards for M+ since late in season 2, and I guess it was just too late to implement something for S3.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Every season i get a +10 in all but one or two and never finish the feat. Generally do between a +10 and a +12 any given week until i find I'm getting no upgrades from either the drops or the chest.

Haven't bothered doing any 15s in BfA yet, but i used to run 15s or higher for most of Legion. Did the rewards scale up higher back then if you went to 15? I just can't motivate myself to care much for going past 10 without a commesurate reward.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    I believe during Legion it alternated between 10s and 15s that gave the maximum reward. In BfA they adjusted scaling differently each season to ensure a 10 was always the same relative difficulty.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Is that 15+ in time, or just 15+ completed?

In other news, my guild completed our Anniversary raids last night and got our mounts. Went pretty fast. We did the whole thing in less than an hour. And instead of going and doing a real raid after, we just called it a night early.

So then I went into AV and grinded out the rest of my timewarped badges. I was just turning in frostwolves till it capped out, and then abandoning the battle, waiting out my deserter debuff, and then queuing again. People in chat sure were abusive about those of us who were doing quests for the mount. I read the chat but didn't reply or participate in it. I just let it slide.

Not my fault Blizzard poorly designed an event, and incentivized farming meaningless crap over actually playing the match. I won a game and healed my ass off the first time I went in for this event. The prize for winning was 10 badges that did not count towards my 200. After that I saw no point in actually playing the BG because doing it the "right way" got me literally 0 progress towards my goal, which is the limited time special-event mount.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I didn’t even see badges when I won last night. I thought I got absolutely nothing for it.

I have been leveling a horde rogue to see that side of the game since before everything I did was alliance. I finished all 3 zone stories and the first 3 war campaign ones and still was under halfway through 119. I went into Av and noticed suddenly in no time I was right about to level. So that old school Av is worth some solid exp.

I really wanted the weapon from the korrak quest but he never spawned. But I saw that the version in a wotlk quest count for that?

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

In other news, my guild completed our Anniversary raids last night and got our mounts. Went pretty fast. We did the whole thing in less than an hour. And instead of going and doing a real raid after, we just called it a night early.

So then I went into AV and grinded out the rest of my timewarped badges. I was just turning in frostwolves till it capped out, and then abandoning the battle, waiting out my deserter debuff, and then queuing again. People in chat sure were abusive about those of us who were doing quests for the mount. I read the chat but didn't reply or participate in it. I just let it slide.

Not my fault Blizzard poorly designed an event, and incentivized farming meaningless crap over actually playing the match. I won a game and healed my ass off the first time I went in for this event. The prize for winning was 10 badges that did not count towards my 200. After that I saw no point in actually playing the BG because doing it the "right way" got me literally 0 progress towards my goal, which is the limited time special-event mount.

Both feats in the first 3 seasons have been "complete within the time limit"

• Options
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I didn’t even see badges when I won last night. I thought I got absolutely nothing for it.

I have been leveling a horde rogue to see that side of the game since before everything I did was alliance. I finished all 3 zone stories and the first 3 war campaign ones and still was under halfway through 119. I went into Av and noticed suddenly in no time I was right about to level. So that old school Av is worth some solid exp.

I really wanted the weapon from the korrak quest but he never spawned. But I saw that the version in a wotlk quest count for that?

I think he spawns as soon as the map is live. You probably just missed him. In nearly every match I played while grinding for my frostwolf, players basically rushed straight to Korrak and killed him within the first 3 minutes of the match.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

Both feats in the first 3 seasons have been "complete within the time limit"

Well shit I better get better at this game fairly quickly

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    At the end of legion a 15 was the weekly gear cap, so roughly analogous to a 10 now

The cap increased throughout legion, I assume because they weren’t quite sure how they wanted it to work yet. It was initially 10, then 12 (I think?), then rebalanced to go from 10 to 15. In BFA they are just retuning the dungeons every tier which seems like the better approach

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    There are updates apparently making Korrak less difficult to encounter.

However, I don't see a fix for the WOTLK quest version of him. I just did it and it works. Nice 400 ilvl weapon for my just dinged 120 Rogue

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

Ah dammit, I thought I was out of the treadmill, but they pulls me back in!
    This group was a mishmash of decent players, returning players who hadn't played since Uldir/release, fresh 120s, and everything else.
    This, along with (I assume) majority voice chat participation, is already a huge leg up on 95% of PUG raids.

Yeeeah 99% of our voice chat was memes and people giving other people shit.
    I have to figure Blizzard intended for this limited time event raid to be beatable by random groups.

Definitely. I wasn't here for the MC anniversary thing but it sounded like a massive clusterfuck that they no doubt wanted to avoid a repeat of.

The MC raid wasn't HARD. It was just really slow.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    So, the Vulpera allied race questline is already on the PTR.
    Is a quirky romp of the Vulpera helping the different Horde races to prove their worth to the Horde. And the meme game is on point.
    Head to the Twilight Vineyards in Suramar to Meet with Meerah. Meerah assesses that the vineyards have some serious staff issues, and we check on their staff in The Vintner's Assistants. One of these new assistants is our good, fire-happy friend, Nomi!

It seems like the lead vintner did not assign good roles to his new assistants, and we assign better positions to them in Playing to Their Strengths. Boss Mida and Kazit are now assigned to finding ingredients, playing to the resourcefulness of goblins. Micah Broadhoof is now assigned to stomping the wine, using of the Highmountain Tauren's strong hooves. Nomi, with his vast culinary knowledge, is now assigned to actually researching and creating new arcwine recipes!

887911.jpg

Hmmmm.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    I want a Vulpera alt.

But knowing that the level squish is coming, the new player experience, and the 60-70% reduced leveling time, there's no reason to level an alt now unless you're switching mains or something. Unless you need an alt at max level today, there's no point in even trying till the revamp happens.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I mean, the leveling changes won’t be out until presumably the shadowlands pre patch, so if you wanna play a character anytime in the next year or so you gotta level it

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    In the caverns of time where for the event they have where you can watch the opening movies of old. Warlords of Draenor still is an impressive movie but I remember sitting in my garrison more than anything
    Where was the threat? Why did the iron horde be so lame. Why did they were so anti gul'dan ran to him with open arms when it looked bad.
    I know this was all Blizzard writing but still I was so let down in that exp {I had issues with Cata but that's a different tale}

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    I want a Vulpera alt.

But knowing that the level squish is coming, the new player experience, and the 60-70% reduced leveling time, there's no reason to level an alt now unless you're switching mains or something. Unless you need an alt at max level today, there's no point in even trying till the revamp happens.

This is why I am tempted to just use my 120 level boost to bump one up. I would probably want to level one legit at some point to gain the heritage armor but probably do that once leveling changes happen.

• Options
    I finally hit a pretty hard wall on my current series of goals after getting back into retail. I had the goal of getting Flying unlocked, leveling one of my few decent horde characters (started at 100) to see that side of the story. Finishing the 3 zones, the main story following, and the war campaign. Unlocking Zandalari Trolls and leveling and gearing a fresh Zand druid.

Well I am just shy of revered with Zandalari and cannot continue with the main story there. I could do the War campaign, but that has no real pressing need. I geared up the character I was leveling for the Zandalari unlock (a rogue) well enough for my liking. So now I just kind of have to take the rep slow until exalted. At least hitting revered and doing the Vol'Jin stuff will be a nice boost.

I totally missed out on a lot of free rep with the WQ even though.

All that being said, it has been super fun so far. Leveling a rogue in war mode is a fucking JOY compared to being an enhancement shaman PVP wise. I can legit enjoy PVP and even overcame some significant ilvl deficit in some cases. I love my Enh but in PVP its just pitiful.

I wanted to try and grab AOTC on the shaman if possible but the guild I am in slowed down until 8.3. They finished it themselves and my Shaman is more than geared, but their style is to pretty much finish the heroic raid then either take a break or do fun shit. Which is why I like the guild.

Anyway I needed to talk about my time in retail recently. I still kind of don't hate BFA. I am not invested in the overall plot. The horde side main story (at least the leveling + first patch stuff) is really well done and SO much better than the Alliance one was. I still do have fun with the classes even if they are kind of simple.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Is the originals quest a weekly thing or daily?

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Weekly.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I don't PUG mythic + runs very much, is it common for someone on a 10 SotS to go left, pull 4 spiritualists at once, then complain when they keep healing themselves to full, then quit the group and wreck my key?

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Bigity wrote: »
    I don't PUG mythic + runs very much, is it common for someone on a 10 SotS to go left, pull 4 spiritualists at once, then complain when they keep healing themselves to full, then quit the group and wreck my key?

That path is pretty standard, Spiritualists are a lot less dangerous than Attendants, because they only try to cast their heal once every 15 seconds, vs the Attendants which chain cast very hard-hitting Water Bolts on the tank.

I'm pretty sure there's only three spiritualists going left - one on the stairs and two at the bottom. However, even with only three, I think in a PUG key the coordination required to control all three of them is going to be out of reach - you need everyone with a 15 sec CD kick to handle one spiritualist each, and if you didn't bring at least two melee or a resto shaman you will need even more coordination.

I definitely wouldn't go that path if I was doing a PUG group on one of my tanks - it's the theoretical "best" path and I would use it if I was doing a +20, but I would absolutely not expect a +10 pug to have enough players capable of remembering that they even have an interrupt, much less use it with perfect coordination.

If it was me, I would take the right hand path which only has one spiritualist and more attendants instead, and I'd just kick the spiritualist myself and hope the healer & my cooldowns could handle the water bolts that would likely go entirely unkicked.

So, yeah. The reason you wiped is that the group was shit at interrupting - but as a tank, if you're doing +10 pugs I would expect such a group to be shit at interrupting. I would not go in there, pull something that requires good play and then get angry when they don't exhibit good play. It'd be like bringing a game of RISK to a child's birthday party and getting angry that the child and their friends can't figure the game out. It's not fair to expect +20 level of coordination in a +10 PUG.

Obviously the babyrage & quit was entirely uncalled for. It's entirely on him for having unreasonable expectations about what the group was going to do, and part of being a good tank is to tailor the pulls to the capability of the group, if you're not going to do that you can't get angry when your group doesn't magically perform beyond their capabilities, and it makes for a bad tank who just pulls without regard for the group he's in.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Yes this sounds like WoW Pugging.

• Options
    Without kick coordination, CC would probably be the best/better alternative too. Either direction you go. People don't like to use hard CC like sheep, sap, etc, but if it means the difference between wiping and disbanding and completing the dungeon, I'd always rather slow the pace and succeed. Smaller, safer pulls.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019

That path is pretty standard, Spiritualists are a lot less dangerous than Attendants, because they only try to cast their heal once every 15 seconds, vs the Attendants which chain cast very hard-hitting Water Bolts on the tank.

I'm pretty sure there's only three spiritualists going left - one on the stairs and two at the bottom. However, even with only three, I think in a PUG key the coordination required to control all three of them is going to be out of reach - you need everyone with a 15 sec CD kick to handle one spiritualist each, and if you didn't bring at least two melee or a resto shaman you will need even more coordination.

I definitely wouldn't go that path if I was doing a PUG group on one of my tanks - it's the theoretical "best" path and I would use it if I was doing a +20, but I would absolutely not expect a +10 pug to have enough players capable of remembering that they even have an interrupt, much less use it with perfect coordination.

If it was me, I would take the right hand path which only has one spiritualist and more attendants instead, and I'd just kick the spiritualist myself and hope the healer & my cooldowns could handle the water bolts that would likely go entirely unkicked.

So, yeah. The reason you wiped is that the group was shit at interrupting - but as a tank, if you're doing +10 pugs I would expect such a group to be shit at interrupting. I would not go in there, pull something that requires good play and then get angry when they don't exhibit good play. It'd be like bringing a game of RISK to a child's birthday party and getting angry that the child and their friends can't figure the game out. It's not fair to expect +20 level of coordination in a +10 PUG.

Obviously the babyrage & quit was entirely uncalled for. It's entirely on him for having unreasonable expectations about what the group was going to do, and part of being a good tank is to tailor the pulls to the capability of the group, if you're not going to do that you can't get angry when your group doesn't magically perform beyond their capabilities, and it makes for a bad tank who just pulls without regard for the group he's in.

I have literally never seen it done that way, but I am no expert. I don't even care which way, but quitting was pretty crap. I mean, we got through it and it was fine. It took alot of mana healing, but it was done. More than one 15s interrupt would have helped probably too.

Bigity on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

I have literally never seen it done that way, but I am no expert. I don't even care which way, but quitting was pretty crap. I mean, we got through it and it was fine. It took alot of mana healing, but it was done. More than one 15s interrupt would have helped probably too.

And this right here is the biggest issue with M+ right now. High keys basically require a bunch of 12/15s interrupts.

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    Has there been any indication of what will happen with allied races come Shadowlands? Will the same unlock requirements still exist? Seems a bit awkward to require a rep grind from a previous expansion in order to unlock them in future, but I guess it would also be a bit naff to just give them away immediately to everybody that didn't put the effort in during BfA. I'm guessing there is some precedent for this sort of scenario from previous expansions.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    There are existing allied races that require rep from Legion so I wouldn't anticipate those requirements changing.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    There are existing allied races that require rep from Legion so I wouldn't anticipate those requirements changing.

Right, that makes sense. I guess that gives me something to do between now and Shadowlands release at least.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    They still require completing Pathfinder for flying all the way back to WoD, which is 3 expansions old (~6 years of real time).

I think in Blizzard's mind, allied races are kind of a badge of honor. They don't consider them essential to the core game experience, and thus I don't know if they'll ever roll them in for free.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Flying and the huge walls to earning Allied Races and the Faction War/no crossplay are all big factors in me feeling like there's a disconnect between 'What Blizzard Thinks WoW Is' and 'What Players Enjoy'.

That and, like, anything and everything that's ever made the 'fun detected' meme pop back up.

• Options
    Honestly, I'm 100% in the camp of "I like Pathfinder."

Because yes, flying breaks the game, flying trivializes open world content, and flying needs to be reigned in and kept under control. The Pathfinder achievements are a good compromise and I 100% agree that they need to exist.

However... I think that when one pathfinder is introduced, previous pathfinders should be retired and opened up for all.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Personally, I would prefer it that when you've completed all zone quest chapters on one character, you unlock flying account-wide. Or zone quest chapters + launch war campaign quests in BfA's specific case. That way you do the content on foot, like the devs want, but immediately after you've done that you're free to do play however you want.

reVerse on
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I just don't look at Cataclysm and think 'Yeah, flying ruined this'.

But then, I loathe being forced to fight a ton of extraneous fights unrelated to my quests more than just about anything else in the game. It's the reason I actually quite dislike 90% of the actual overworld experience in BFA, because roads aren't safe, every quest thing is buried in unending mounds of extra mobs, etc.

I feel obligated to play something that can stealth or that can steamroll unending gigantic pulls because otherwise everything feels awful.

• Options
    As a very casual player (usually sub 1-3 months per expansion), I'm not totally against the pathfinder grind. I have my single level 120 character who hasn't really progressed into anything. Doing content to increase my ilvl always felt pointless because I'd just stop playing for a few months and come back to find I might as well not have bothered because stats had moved so much.

The idea of being able to set a goal that I can achieve solo and will have some sort of on-going impact is nice. I still need to get BfA pathfinder, then unlock Zandalari, then maybe level a Zandalari character for next expansion. For the amount I play that's a nice list of stuff to keep me going for now.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    exis wrote: »
    As a very casual player (usually sub 1-3 months per expansion), I'm not totally against the pathfinder grind. I have my single level 120 character who hasn't really progressed into anything. Doing content to increase my ilvl always felt pointless because I'd just stop playing for a few months and come back to find I might as well not have bothered because stats had moved so much.

The idea of being able to set a goal that I can achieve solo and will have some sort of on-going impact is nice. I still need to get BfA pathfinder, then unlock Zandalari, then maybe level a Zandalari character for next expansion. For the amount I play that's a nice list of stuff to keep me going for now.

And that's Pathfinder's primary purpouse. Blizzard can design zones around flying, even if they rather not do it, but the point of Pathfinder was to provide a meta goal for all players so the forums weren't filled with "there's nothing to doooo" a couple months on the expansion from a bunch of LFR-only characters.

• Options
    When you get to pick a single expansion to level in, you won't need to worry about having flying unlocked as you can just skip ones you didn't have it.

Of course, there is also the question of how they are going to handle flying in leveling content going forward. Currently, you unlock flying for Azeroth AND Cata questing at 60. As well as all of TBC and Wrath now I think? Then when you hit Cata and MOP you have both of those too. But for the other expansions, you either have it or you don't for the whole expansion, so if that rule applied you would have it from level 10 on? Or would you have to wait for some higher level in which case, pathfinder becomes somewhat pointless? They hadn't decided yet and likely because it will involve a complete change of the rules. We very much could get something like flying is unlocked at 30 or 40 for that expansion no matter what, and all old pathfinders are obsolete.

The thing is, as much as everyone complains about having to go back and do the old pathfinders, there are also people who did them when current who would for SOME reason be offended when we got it for "free". I doubt that is what affects their decision to not remove pathfinder requirements, but it might.

I still don't have WoD flying and it makes what many consider a ridiculously easy 10 levels into one of the slower level ranges for me. I don't care though, because I have all but 1 class at 100 or higher so I don't need to deal with it really. That 1 class is what I am going to be leveling soon, and I will be doing it in AV so I don't have to give a shit about WOD anymore.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    When you get to pick a single expansion to level in, you won't need to worry about having flying unlocked as you can just skip ones you didn't have it.

Of course, there is also the question of how they are going to handle flying in leveling content going forward. Currently, you unlock flying for Azeroth AND Cata questing at 60. As well as all of TBC and Wrath now I think? Then when you hit Cata and MOP you have both of those too. But for the other expansions, you either have it or you don't for the whole expansion, so if that rule applied you would have it from level 10 on? Or would you have to wait for some higher level in which case, pathfinder becomes somewhat pointless? They hadn't decided yet and likely because it will involve a complete change of the rules. We very much could get something like flying is unlocked at 30 or 40 for that expansion no matter what, and all old pathfinders are obsolete.

The thing is, as much as everyone complains about having to go back and do the old pathfinders, there are also people who did them when current who would for SOME reason be offended when we got it for "free". I doubt that is what affects their decision to not remove pathfinder requirements, but it might.

I still don't have WoD flying and it makes what many consider a ridiculously easy 10 levels into one of the slower level ranges for me. I don't care though, because I have all but 1 class at 100 or higher so I don't need to deal with it really. That 1 class is what I am going to be leveling soon, and I will be doing it in AV so I don't have to give a shit about WOD anymore.

One thing to keep in mind is that for new accounts when Shadowlands drops, after you do the new starting area to level 10, you HAVE to level in Kul Tiras/Zandalar first.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
This discussion has been closed.