As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I didn't really understand all the howling about the Diablo mobile game last year. Blizzard handled it poorly but a mobile diablo game seemed more like an eventuality than anything else. However, the blitzchung fiasco showed me a much different perspective.

Blizzcon is going to be strange.

The main lesson is never announce a crappy little spinoff when people are slavering for the real thing unless you can also give them the real thing. Particularly if it's the fourth game in the series I guess?

Metroid fans want Metroid Prime 4 -> Nintendo announces Metroid Federation Force instead -> everyone is pissed

Fallout fans want Fallout 4 -> Bethesda announced both Fallout Shelter and Fallout 4 at the same event -> no one is pissed and in fact are willing to play the mobile game as part of the hype

Diablo fans want Diablo 4 -> etc.

It gives a sense of "THIS is what you have been working on all these years?"

There are a number of other reasons too...I don't think the majority of it was that the game is made by/for China, but part of it was looking identical to an existing Chinese game which is more about lack of effort than xenophobia.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I didn’t mean the insidiousness of it so much as that the mobile game was really targeted at the Chinese market and, more to the point, Blizzard execs probably don’t care what NA fans have to say about it.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I didn't really understand all the howling about the Diablo mobile game last year. Blizzard handled it poorly but a mobile diablo game seemed more like an eventuality than anything else. However, the blitzchung fiasco showed me a much different perspective.

Blizzcon is going to be strange.

The main lesson is never announce a crappy little spinoff when people are slavering for the real thing unless you can also give them the real thing. Particularly if it's the fourth game in the series I guess?

Metroid fans want Metroid Prime 4 -> Nintendo announces Metroid Federation Force instead -> everyone is pissed

Fallout fans want Fallout 4 -> Bethesda announced both Fallout Shelter and Fallout 4 at the same event -> no one is pissed and in fact are willing to play the mobile game as part of the hype

Diablo fans want Diablo 4 -> etc.

It gives a sense of "THIS is what you have been working on all these years?"

There are a number of other reasons too...I don't think the majority of it was that the game is made by/for China, but part of it was looking identical to an existing Chinese game which is more about lack of effort than xenophobia.
    Let us not forget square Enix making 10 games before kingdom hearts 3.

I don’t know if I’ll live to see how many games they make before kingdom hearts 4

zepherin on
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    So between the new Destiny expansion and the whole Blitzchung thing I've had little time or desire to play recently, though I've played here and there.

Turns out for this whole Wild card thing they made "new" cards to represent them so though I was hoping not to have to, I've ended up needing to update the deck image tool which I've now done.

Did have some ideas for expanding the functionality a bit, but we'll see how this whole situation evolves and whether I can find the motivation.

I was already a bit uneasy with playing Hearthstone given the whole job cuts Activision put through even though Kotick that same day announced record revenue. Especially so since I know people that were put through a long period of uncertainty as a result.

Given the amount of money I've put into Hearthstone its hard for me to straight up quit, but I'm not planning on spending any more.

Same here... I'm not playing anywhere near as much as I used to, and that's after a good 4-5 month hiatus.

I'll probably still play a little here and there, sticking to meme decks, but I don't plan on spending any more on this game.

@MNC Dover I might need a new avatar ^^'

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Blizzard canceled their Overwatch launch event at the New York Nintendo Store, just one week after announcing the event.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Real "duh" moment on the current Arena event: Basic and Classic sets are excluded. Which feature some real staple removal spells that rarely get strong alternatives in expansions, especially AoE. Part of why games feel so dull and snowbally. The other part being that its every single wild set, making synergies especially difficult.

What I'm saying is, don't judge bucketless too harshly until we get to try it with a sane set list.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Blizzard canceled their Overwatch launch event at the New York Nintendo Store, just one week after announcing the event.

If we're on this train, might as well mention that Blizz also forcibly changed a WoW Guild's name because it has the word gay in it.
    It's a guild focused on that demographic, actually.

May or may not be a thing, whether done for the right reasons etc., but Blizz is getting some heat for how they did the name change, noting the only reason was due to users reporting it as offensive.

The new name was basically a random set of characters.

ed: turns out this was an automated change and was fixed. Read onward. :)

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »

If we're on this train, might as well mention that Blizz also forcibly changed a WoW Guild's name because it has the word gay in it.
    It's a guild focused on that demographic, actually.

May or may not be a thing, whether done for the right reasons etc., but Blizz is getting some heat for how they did the name change, noting the only reason was due to users reporting it as offensive.

The new name was basically a random set of characters.

They got this reversed.

Apparently despite the email and everything, this was done as an automated process due to the wealth of reports, and when they appealed it, human eyes got on it and said, "What, no, no, fuck no, changing this shit back."

They also told the guild leader that it could happen again, there was nothing they could do to stop it, etc.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Ah, that's good.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    Ah, that's good.

Yeah, also, a bunch of them said that the comment, "Fuck gays, I'm reporting" is a pretty normal occurrence.

Which, I feel like there should maybe be an automated system to see those folks lose their accounts.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    I didn’t mean the insidiousness of it so much as that the mobile game was really targeted at the Chinese market and, more to the point, Blizzard execs probably don’t care what NA fans have to say about it.

They also shivved the Heroes of the Storm community, too.

I think 200 people lost their jobs right before Christmas, and the pro teams got screwed because it was too late in the season for them to jump to another game.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »

They also shivved the Heroes of the Storm community, too.

I think 200 people lost their jobs right before Christmas, and the pro teams got screwed because it was too late in the season for them to jump to another game.

I don't think there's a China link here, but yeah what they did to HotS was pretty fucked. I don't even fault them for pulling dev resources off the game or ending the official competitive scene, but they should have given the players more notice. And there really wasn't any need for them to make an announcement that development on the game was slowing down, all that did was sabotage the community's confidence in the game.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    HotS is still fun, too, which is an additional shame. I don't play it much, but it's the only MOBA I really wanted to spend time with. It felt like Blizzard did everything they could to kill it in one or two announcements.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    And there really wasn't any need for them to make an announcement that development on the game was slowing down, all that did was sabotage the community's confidence in the game.
    I agree that it definitely set off a self-fulfilling prophecy, but it's arguably a catch-22. If they don't announce that the dev team has shrank and isn't going to be able to put out content like they used to, then the players eventually start accusing the devs of not communicating and wondering WTF is going on with the HotS team when they notice the very obvious significant drop in content and patches of all forms.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    They announced the reduction in development on hots DAYS after launching their Christmas event which had a bunch of new items for people to buy.

It was super scummy all around.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    So my Arena opponent (accidentally?) soft-locked the game by playing bloodreaver gul-dan. Hadn't played any demons so not sure about that part, but the hero power failed to swap over. Now their turn won't end. I see signs of them emoting and targeting and stuff but nothing else happens.

Heard that "summon a random basic totem" effects don't even do anything either. Great job Blizzard is doing with this Arena event.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Wait, are DKs no longer blacklisted in arena? Fucking terrible.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    And there really wasn't any need for them to make an announcement that development on the game was slowing down, all that did was sabotage the community's confidence in the game.
    I agree that it definitely set off a self-fulfilling prophecy, but it's arguably a catch-22. If they don't announce that the dev team has shrank and isn't going to be able to put out content like they used to, then the players eventually start accusing the devs of not communicating and wondering WTF is going on with the HotS team when they notice the very obvious significant drop in content and patches of all forms.

I think it's the same as Diablo 3, which everybody just kind of understood was naturally receiving less dev attention over time. It wasn't a big controversy or anything. HotS' community knows that it's not that popular.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    i feel like since we're sort of used this as an opportunity to talk about other card games now and then it's worth mentioning that League of Legends just announced one

https://playruneterra.com/en-us

https://youtu.be/RDPhHpyZIck

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Man

great timing on their part

• Options
    Well, if you're quitting HS due to the Blizzard/China fiasco, it seems like jumping ship to a Riot Games alternative would be counterproductive.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Man

great timing on their part

riot has it's own vast swamp of problems to overcome

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    i feel like since we're sort of used this as an opportunity to talk about other card games now and then it's worth mentioning that League of Legends just announced one

They also showed gameplay of a character based tactical shooter that looks like Overwatch and Counter-Strike had a baby.

As far as Hearthstone competitors go though, I'd be more inclined to play MTG Arena or Duelyst over a League of Legends card game.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    forty wrote: »
    Oh, and I think today (Tuesday) is a day to make sure you have an extra quest slot open by like 10AM Pacific or so.
    I guess this didn't happen today, despite there being a Legendary quest last Tuesday.
    A new Legendary Doom in the Tomb quest* will be unlocked at the start of each week during the event
    Or not...

forty on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    So between the new Destiny expansion and the whole Blitzchung thing I've had little time or desire to play recently, though I've played here and there.

Turns out for this whole Wild card thing they made "new" cards to represent them so though I was hoping not to have to, I've ended up needing to update the deck image tool which I've now done.

Did have some ideas for expanding the functionality a bit, but we'll see how this whole situation evolves and whether I can find the motivation.

I was already a bit uneasy with playing Hearthstone given the whole job cuts Activision put through even though Kotick that same day announced record revenue. Especially so since I know people that were put through a long period of uncertainty as a result.

Given the amount of money I've put into Hearthstone its hard for me to straight up quit, but I'm not planning on spending any more.

Same here... I'm not playing anywhere near as much as I used to, and that's after a good 4-5 month hiatus.

I'll probably still play a little here and there, sticking to meme decks, but I don't plan on spending any more on this game.

"MNC Dover" I might need a new avatar ^^'

Here ya' go @MMMig! Enjoy!

uvijllwb4l4k.png

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Riot is an odd choice of gaming company to shift your business to as a result of this scandal. They're 93% owned by Tencent.

Someone mentioned Path of Exile earlier in the thread as well, and GGG is 80% owned by Tencent.

Not to say that you can't buy or enjoy games from them (or Blizzard), but if you expect those companies to be less deferential to the Chinese government then I think you'll be disappointed.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    MNC Dover wrote: »

"MNC Dover" I might need a new avatar ^^'

Here ya' go @MMMig! Enjoy!

Why is this not a picture of the Windfish.

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I have no issues with any companies being owned in part or wholly by Chinese companies (like Tencent), as long as they act in a way I find appropriate.

I use Reddit. That is in part owned by Tencent. I still use Reddit as Reddit itself (the admins etc) do not censor any criticism of the CCP. Individual subreddits do, but that's due to the decisions of the mod staff on each sub.

If Reddit as a platform started censoring criticism of the CCP, I would abandon the platform in a heartbeat.

• Options
    You do not become a large company in China without being in bed with the party. Tencent is one of the companies helping the government construct their mass surveillance social credit system for example.

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    You do not become a large company in China without being in bed with the party. Tencent is one of the companies helping the government construct their mass surveillance social credit system for example.

Didn't Tencent write that article in China that rustled some feathers about Blizzard being in China's pocket?

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Well...I still care about Gwent :(

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

They also showed gameplay of a character based tactical shooter that looks like Overwatch and Counter-Strike had a baby.

As far as Hearthstone competitors go though, I'd be more inclined to play MTG Arena or Duelyst over a League of Legends card game.

If MTGA were on mobile I wouldn’t be playing Hearthstone.

zepherin on
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    I think, despite Riot's MASSIVE problems, people are still gonna jump ship to them and claim "heh yeah fuck blizzo, amirite"

Truth is, most people already playing League are either ignorant to these issues or just indifferent.

And then there's the masses, who aren't really capable of critical thought, and see Riot as "the new/better Blizzard"

So really these announcements couldn't have come at a better time for them, unfortunately.

Hey Riot maybe fix your rampant sexual harassment problems first???

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    Good lord....

Tencent owns a damn lot... seems... aggressively strategic with a larger agenda.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Tencent is an unofficial arm of the Chinese government and they are very aggressively trying to control as much of the Western market as they can, yes.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Also this is exactly the kind of shit that makes people forget about their anger with companies. Riot sucks? Oh but wait they released that hot new KDA video wooooow sexual harassment what??? What do you mean Riot sucks look at these sweet new games they just announced!!

That's all it takes.

Everyone's forgotten that Riot is even shittier than Blizzard.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    I legitimately didn't know Riot existed

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

If MTGA were on mobile I wouldn’t be playing Hearthstone.

Good thing that they don’t have a similar business relationship with Tencent. . .

Board and card game developer Wizards of the Coast is partnering with Chinese game publisher Tencent to handle the Asia launch of the upcoming Magic: The Gathering Arena video game, among others. Tencent will be the game’s exclusive digital publisher in China, Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos, and Brunei.

https://mtgarena.pro/news/mtg-arena-asian-launch-is-getting-ready-tencent-will-cooperate/

Oh.

But hey, the Mythic V tournament is this weekend. Maybe someone there will be brave enough to make a statement, and we’ll see how other companies handle this sort of situation.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    If anything happens it'll probably be from Lee Shi Tian. He's a Hong Konger and has named his decks stuff like 'Umbrella Revolution' in the past.

E: Also even outside of Tencent publishing MTGA in China, WotC is a subsidiary of Hasbro which makes over 50% of their products in China.

Yilias on
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    3clipse wrote: »
    Tencent is an unofficial arm of the Chinese government and they are very aggressively trying to control as much of the Western market as they can, yes.

Sounds like our attorney general should do something about that.

I really do wonder what all they own. They're also the main funders for 2nd Dinner I think?

Ed: from the wiki
    Tencent is the world's largest gaming company,[4] one of the world's most valuable technology companies,[5] one of the world's largest social media companies,[6] and one of the world's largest venture capital firms and investment corporations.[7][8]

As of March 2018, Tencent is the largest video game company in the world.[156] Tencent wholly or partially owns game companies Grinding Gear Games (80%),[157] Miniclip (undisclosed majority stake),[158] Riot Games (100%)[159] Glu Mobile (14.46%),[160] Epic Games (40%),[161] Activision Blizzard (5%),[161] Ubisoft (5%),[161] Paradox Interactive (5%),[162] and Supercell (84.3%).[163]

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra