As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Podcasts] Now listen to this

• THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

patrick's reaction to EoE is going to sustain my lifeforce for at least another 5 years

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Going back to earlier comments, I think the "weak" block of Eva episodes is critical to lulling viewers into a sense of normalcy before they light the status quo on fire.

Undead Scottsman on
  • THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Going back to earlier comments, I think the "weak" block of Eva episodes is critical to lulling viewers into a sense of normalcy before they light the status quo in fire.

spoilers for both NGE and slightly for the Rebuilds
    the illusion that despite the creepiness you see very early on, the EVAs are hero robots, makes episode 16 really land -- a chaser to the shot of Angels being capable of far more than just physical destruction, which you get out of the Magi episode

all in all, I think the last moments of that episode are my favorite in the whole series

I had forgotten after so long that the Angels' deaths are not nearly as gory in the series as in the Rebuilds, so I was surprised all over again when 01 has its first chance to really Rip and Tear, a scene so grotesque that it shakes Asuka's confidence(or at least, a veneer of confidence) in what she's doing

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Episode 16 is also the episode where the production/funding issues start, according to the liner notes from my Platinum Collection DVDs.

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Going back to earlier comments, I think the "weak" block of Eva episodes is critical to lulling viewers into a sense of normalcy before they light the status quo on fire.

This is also something Eureka Seven does very well

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I'm keeping pace with Patrick. 20-24 were weird in how much the reveals and at the same time how little? They were very good but the money problems were immediately more obvious.

Episode 16 was gross but still mostly plays as a triumphant moment?

Episode 18 might be one of the most visceral and horrible pieces of television I've ever scene. But like in a good way? I don't know that I can point to a single episode that left me so agape and in awe at the horror of it. It has very much stuck with me.

Ep 19 was also gross and fascinating, but 18 is pure horror.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    It's a different kind of horror in 18 than in 19.

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    19 has maybe my favorite shot of all time.
    hk5vc4mhmyky.png

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I’m trying to do the math, Blank Check should be starting Miyazaki on the first week of August, right?

I hope so, I'm not a huge fan of Mann.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    they only have two movies left, public enemies and blackhat

i don't hate this series or anything but i've been excited for miyazaki ever since they first announced it

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    I’m trying to do the math, Blank Check should be starting Miyazaki on the first week of August, right?

Don’t forget Ben’s Choice

2:20 minutes on ~35min of content.

It's beautiful.

Is 21 the spear of longinus episode?

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited July 2019

Sounds like the Austin phones in while on vacation plan had some hiccups. I still appreciate that dedication, and it's definitely a 5 star run time relative to the episodes.

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I just started listening to Waypoint around E3 and am really enjoying it. I've pretty much caught up on anything recently and am now going back to listen to older ones while at work.

I know most of this stuff is old now, so the conversations they have may be irrelevant - any good older eps that stick out in peoples minds?

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I just started listening to Waypoint around E3 and am really enjoying it. I've pretty much caught up on anything recently and am now going back to listen to older ones while at work.

I know most of this stuff is old now, so the conversations they have may be irrelevant - any good older eps that stick out in peoples minds?

Their Kingdom Hearts deep dive is pretty hilarious / great.

Very 5 star podcast.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Alien alloys

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

Very 5 star podcast.

Is it better or worse if I know absolutely nothing about kingdom hearts

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    I had forgotten about machine elves. Good lord.

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular

Very 5 star podcast.

Both are fine, I never really played KH but really enjoyed it.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Viktor WaltersViktor Walters Registered User regular
    Once you hear about machine elves you start to see them more in life, this is a fact

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

Very 5 star podcast.

Don’t worry, they hadn’t actually played the games when they explain them.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Since I mentioned last thread the Archie Sonic the Hedgehog comics and notorious madman Ken Penders (who successfully sued for the rights to all the characters he had made for it, most of whom are related to Knuckles the Echidna), I felt obligated to share his tweet regarding the shirts he's selling at Comic Con now featuring former Sonic comic characters (who now legally have nothing to do with Archie Comics, Sonic or Sega).

nmfyiciqyv6d.png

I fucking love that Penders changed them from echidnas to "Echyd'nyas".

• Viktor WaltersViktor Walters Registered User regular
    I really need to find where to read those.

edited July 2019
    I really need to find where to read those.

Thanks, Ken Penders is intending to cover every Archie Sonic the Hedgehog and Mega Man comic, as well as provide behind the scenes info. They're on issue 113 now. The entire comics aren't shown, but highlights (and lowlights) are featured.
    ngpc798tczps.png
    16yt1l0mh57j.png
    0rpcz80uclq7.png
    oysh7s7m7a8h.png
    9mye9rrcvem0.png
    d8ezc2l0i9df.png
    yr74dnq27woy.jpg
    wqncq1apadw2.png
    6pmy8utasji6.png
    ornquf4hsabp.png
    8czfa6f5i73p.png
    nsjci2rje8t6.png
    htljn2frhssy.png
    2znpnarobqeb.png
    js5t4xkehtct.png

The comics got a lot better once Penders left and Ian Flynn took over as head writer (in fact, Flynn was brought back for IDW's Sonic comics, which are much more faithful to the the games). However, the first one hundred and fifty comics were a fascinating clusterfuck that started off as a comic full of random nonsense, dumb gags, and stupid puns before becoming a bizarre action melodrama, due in part to Ken Penders wanting to use the Sonic comic for his own ideas since his own Image comic lasted all of one issue.

Hexmage-PA on
    BTW what podcast app do most of you guys use? I've been using Stitcher, but I was wondering if there were any podcasts I should listen to that aren't available on it.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Pocketcasts has definitely gotten worse recently but it's still the best option if you want cross-device play.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Seconded on Pocketcasts being functionally worse than it used to be, but I opted into the beta last year ahead of time to get used to it.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I use Podcast Player by castbox. It's awful, full of ads, and usually doesn't automatically download podcasts.

But I only ever listen to the Bomb and Beast casts so it's not that big a deal really.

Pocketcasts seems fine to me now. What's is everyone disliking about it?

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    They did a big revamp of the UI a little while back

I got used to it, and there are some new features that are legitimately great, so whatevs

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Granted it's been a little more annoying since the big interface change, but it's been long enough since that point where they've worked out most of the bugs.
    I think my only complaint I have now is how it handles statuses, but once I got used to the difference from the old way it's been fine.

The web-based player regularly "drops" the connection, the Android app randomly just stops syncing, occasionally the whole thing just struggles to load for no reason

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Overcast is real good but it’s iOS only

aeNqQM9.jpg
    I can see why I haven't encountered the first two problems in my own use case, but I've had no loading issues. I do have a fairly recent phone so maybe it just has enough horsepower that it can power though the loads.

I assure you my phone is not lacking for horse power

I've crammed plenty of horses in this thing

cdci44qazyo3.gif

This discussion has been closed.